Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/17/2017 4:27:04 PM EDT
Just curious what the feel is about the currently strength and weaknesses of the the 3 majors 3/4 ton trucks.

in the past Allison was the standard transmition, Cummings (or Ford 7.2) was the favorite engine, and Ford was the best Truck (other than transmition and engine).  Ford killed their reputation with the 6.0 and 6.4.  Dodge transmition were a consumable part.  Not sure the issue with Chevy -probably the engine was less powerful.

now other than the front axle on the Chevy, the Ford frame-what are the current strengths and weaknesses.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Ford 7.3

Edit: Just to add, the current Ford 6.7 is a absolute monster that will go down in history as one of their best engines.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Instead of just the transmission being a consumable on a Dodge, they made the whole vehicle a consumable.

Unless you like, never get it wet or drive near the ocean or in snow, I guess.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:35:19 PM EDT
[#3]
They are all more than capable of towing  anything you can realistically hook to them.  I prefer the duramax/Allison combo.  It's proven itself for nearly 15 years.   Only possible weakness can be the ifs if you do a bunch of off roading, though I've never managed to break one.  Pick the one you like aesthetically and can get a decent deal on.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Cummins with the G56 manual. It doesn't get any better than that. However, keep in mind a new diesel is choked to death with EPA requirements, EGR system, DEF system, etc.

Also, there is no "G" in Cummins.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:43:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cummins with the G56 manual. It doesn't get any better than that. However, keep in mind a new diesel is choked to death with EPA requirements, EGR system, DEF system, etc.

View Quote
Came to say this.^^^
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The new 6.7 Fords have redeemed themselves from their 6.0-6.4 total FUBAR.

The new dodge transmissions are light years ahead of the old 60K mile 4 speed automatics.  

Overall: ALL new diesels are screwed because of the emissions standards and DEF.   I personally don't like going too far away from stock, there's always tradeoffs.

Thus why me and the ranch drive 5.9 Cummins and 7.3 powerstrokes, with newer pickups being gassers.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:49:43 PM EDT
[#7]
They are less than they could be (in many, many ways), but still are beasts compared to my little gasser. 
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just curious what the feel is about the currently strength and weaknesses of the the 3 majors 3/4 ton trucks.

in the past Allison was the standard transmition, Cummings (or Ford 7.2) was the favorite engine, and Ford was the best Truck (other than transmition and engine).  Ford killed their reputation with the 6.0 and 6.4.  Dodge transmition were a consumable part.  Not sure the issue with Chevy -probably the engine was less powerful.

now other than the front axle on the Chevy, the Ford frame-what are the current strengths and weaknesses.
View Quote

not a weakness
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I've had a 06 6.0 Ford diesel, 10 6.4 Ford diesel, 11 6.0 Chevy gasser, 12 6.0 Chevy gasser, 2 13 6.0 Chevy gassers, a 12' 5.7 Dodge gasser, a 11 6.7 Dodge diesel, a 12' 6.7 Dodge diesel, a 13 6.7 Dodge diesel, and a 15 6.6 Chevy diesel, and now have a 17 6.7 Ford diesel as a personal truck. The rest were all work trucks. After the 13 Dodge brakes froze upon me and sent me through an intersection at 75 mph I called our shop and told them to send a tow truck and I'll never drive one of those pieces of shit again. I went through 4 dodges in 3 months. One was the brakes, one transmission, and 2 front differentials. The Chevy gassers never had an issue in the over 400k miles I put on them, and I only had my 15 Duramax for 60k before leaving the company. Not an issue besides routine maintenance on any of them. The 6.0 Ford was traded for the 6.4 Ford when the motor detonated at 185k. The 6.4 smoked itself with 75k right after I departed the company. Our whole fleet of dodges had major issues, which we transitioned to Chevys immediately after. Our maintenance went to nil instantly, and remained very low even when the new trucks started in the 150k range. The Dodges were constant issues after 50k. My new F-350 only has 1k miles on it, so it's too early to tell anything. It is the most impresive truck I've driven to date, and I drove several of each model before settling on the new Super Duty.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:30:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well this is the weakness of this post
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:31:51 PM EDT
[#11]
06 6.0 was a good truck until it detonated. I used it to pull a 35' fifth wheel all over the south for work, as well as our gooseneck flatbeds. When it grenaded it was traded for an identical 10 F-350 DRW 6.4. No issues from it, but my buddy at the company told me it took a crap within 10k miles of me leaving. Same usage. Next truck was the 11' Chevy 6.0 that was almost miled out when I got a hold of it. 160k trouble free miles and I traded it for my 12' 6.0 Chevy. I only put 30k of those miles on the 11. The 12' saw 199k miles of pure hell on shitty lease roads with 1000-3000 lbs in the bed at all times. Next I got my 13' 6.0 Chevy. Same usage, but I left the company by the time it got to 120k miles. No issues. Started my new job and was in a 12' 5.7 Dodge 2500 that the transmission took a shit on me at around 80k miles. I had only been in it 5k. Jumped in a spare 11' 6.7 Cummins, and had a differential grenade on me the first time I shifted it into 4wd. Next was the 12' Cummins. Differential grenaded on me within a month. It had seen 4wd usage from me approx 4-5 times. while it was in the shop I had recieved a 13' Cummins with approx 100k miles. Brakes took a dump on me while doing 80 down the highway rolling up to an intersection. Next was another 13 Chevy 6.0 Gasser. I drove it from 80k when I got it to 120k when it miled out by the company policy. No issues with it either. Recieved my 15' Duramax and had no issues with it either. I didn't stay with the company too long after receiving it though. Maybe 60k miles.

I've been in Chevy half ton gassers since then without issue, but was missing the diesels. I pull trailers regularly to the mountains loaded with our side by sides or camper. Decided to sell my personal truck and snag the new Super Duty. This F-350 ride better than my half tons ever dreamed of, and has more than enough torque to drag anything I can latch on to. The downside is the price and emissions BS.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've had a 06 6.0 Ford diesel, 10 6.4 Ford diesel, 11 6.0 Chevy gasser, 12 6.0 Chevy gasser, 2 13 6.0 Chevy gassers, a 12' 5.7 Dodge gasser, a 11 6.7 Dodge diesel, a 12' 6.7 Dodge diesel, a 13 6.7 Dodge diesel, and a 15 6.6 Chevy diesel, and now have a 17 6.7 Ford diesel as a personal truck. The rest were all work trucks. After the 13 Dodge brakes froze upon me and sent me through an intersection at 75 mph I called our shop and told them to send a tow truck and I'll never drive one of those pieces of shit again. I went through 4 dodges in 3 months. One was the brakes, one transmission, and 2 front differentials. The Chevy gassers never had an issue in the over 400k miles I put on them, and I only had my 15 Duramax for 60k before leaving the company. Not an issue besides routine maintenance on any of them. The 6.0 Ford was traded for the 6.4 Ford when the motor detonated at 185k. The 6.4 smoked itself with 75k right after I departed the company. Our whole fleet of dodges had major issues, which we transitioned to Chevys immediately after. Our maintenance went to nil instantly, and remained very low even when the new trucks started in the 150k range. The Dodges were constant issues after 50k. My new F-350 only has 1k miles on it, so it's too early to tell anything. It is the most impresive truck I've driven to date, and I drove several of each model before settling on the new Super Duty.
View Quote
What this guy said is what I have personally experienced. I think the ford is probably the best "over-all" truck. But as far engine/tranny etc I would have to go with the Chevy's EVERY TIME, even if the rest of the truck drives me nuts - small things like windows, doors, electronics, etc.

ETA - as also stated, if you don't absolutely need a diesel I would go with a chevy gasser everytime. I hear good things about these new eco-boosts but I guarentee over the life of the vehicle that chevy will be much less!
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:36:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What this guy said is what I have personally experienced. I think the ford is probably the best "over-all" truck. But as far engine/tranny etc I would have to go with the Chevy's EVERY TIME, even if the rest of the truck drives me nuts - small things like windows, doors, electronics, etc.

ETA - as also stated, if you don't absolutely need a diesel I would go with a chevy gasser everytime. I hear good things about these new eco-boosts but I guarentee over the life of the vehicle that chevy will be much less!
View Quote
Hahaha yes the Chevys all had electrical gremlins for sure. They never left me stranded though, and never put me in harm. My 15' 1500 Chevy with only 67k miles on it just had the window washer spray quit working on me today. So far my first gremlin from any of my 3 15' Chevys.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is what I have in my '07 3/4 ton quad cab short box.  Deletes/disables done with H&S mini max tuner.  Runs like a raped ape.  Pulled 17k lbs mini last year and was a little nervous about the hills and exceeding the limits but no worries.  Have air bags out back and exhaust brake.  Leveling kit only and fits 315's just fine.  Get 17.5 mpg with a heavy foot.  Love the 6 speed!

BTW, the G56 is a Mercedes design from the Daimler Benz days, as used in their Euro 2-3 ton trucks.  It's stout.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Ha yeah chevy never left me stranded either. I have always loved there drive trains. And they are much cheaper and easier to work on. Don't get me wrong I do like the Fords as well. I just related to the chevys better. And exactly like you said, I have had the exact same experience with dodge, NEVER AGAIN!

Not sure what you do for work, this is all experience from Iowa corn country. From a guy who would love to sell everything and find a job down in Texas and move! LOL
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#16]
For 5 years I ran tools on drilling rigs in the oilfield. Lived in my truck, and saw the house every 2-3 days just long enough to shower and nap. The past few years I've been in the sales side of things, hence my transitioning to half ton trucks.

Grew up farming and ranching, but we're out of that now. We still have a couple hundred acres and farm house, but we don't farm it anymore. Neighbor runs cattle for us, and we still have a bit of equipment out there. I mostly use it as an excuse to get out of town now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:58:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Ford 7.3

Edit: Just to add, the current Ford 6.7 is a absolute monster that will go down in history as one of their best engines.
View Quote
That bar has been set incredibly low by Ford.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:00:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I recently pulled a 14,000 pound Sunflower chisel over 80 miles with my 2002 Dodge diesel.  Took 4 hours but we made it.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:02:39 PM EDT
[#19]
They all fucking suck with all the EPA junk shit. Delete it and all will serve your needs. That being said. Cummins or nothing.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:10:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I can say from experience, that the new Ram's suck ballsack.  They are the same cheap shit from the '90's....good drivetrain, shitty body and interior.  Stay away.  

Buy Ford if you want a truck
Buy GM if you want a truck body on a car frame
'Buy' Ram only if you are leasing for a few years at a time.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 6:37:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This is what I have in my '07 3/4 ton quad cab short box.  Deletes/disables done with H&S mini max tuner.  Runs like a raped ape.  Pulled 17k lbs mini last year and was a little nervous about the hills and exceeding the limits but no worries.  Have air bags out back and exhaust brake.  Leveling kit only and fits 315's just fine.  Get 17.5 mpg with a heavy foot.  Love the 6 speed!

BTW, the G56 is a Mercedes design from the Daimler Benz days, as used in their Euro 2-3 ton trucks.  It's stout.
View Quote
I've got an 05.5 5.9 with the G56, the motor is nearly bombproof, the transmission is not perfect, a girdle will add tons of strength, and the dual mass flywheel is something that has to be addressed at some point. With the work I've done to mine, rolling on 37's with about a 4.5" lift, I happily pull around 18mpg all day.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Went light shopping today.  Hit a dealer of all 3.  Ford dealer did not have a post bailout facelift.  That said it was a very pleasant experiance.  

Second was the dodge.  I used the same speil-tell me why I should buy a dodge, and why It should be from you (they all skipped the second part).  The second part was quite surprising,  He said if I did not know why I should but a Dodge over the Ford or Chevy already I should just leave.  Did not want to waste my time going to a different dealer, so asked if I could at least sit in one at least.  

Chevy dealer was at least more polite.  A few issues made me feel they were marketing to a different demographic than me (none of their vehicles had a trailer prep package, and most were the highest trim package).  They never offered to even turn an engine on, and it was the only truck I did was not offered a chance to sit in.

i had my kids in tow today, so no dealer offered a test drive.  The Chevy dealer did mention it was the best way to experiance the vehicle.  The Dodge dealer wanted to get me pre-approved, not dealer financing and not worried about approval-unless they feel I am an unworthy driver of their brand truck
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:07:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Ford all the way.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:28:55 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't like the DEF tanks on the GM diesels.  Begging to get torn off.

I have a dodge diesel and a ford diesel, and both have run well and done their job.  The Ford is the one I like better though, and the 6.7 has absolutely kicked butt.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:43:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

not a weakness
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not a weakness
The CV joints on my 05 2500HD were a weak point.
I broke those things like they were made of hard candy.
Easy to change and not expensive, mostly just inconvenient.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
That suprises me.  I have an 05 2500 duramax tuned to over 600 hp and havent managed to snap one yet.  It gets used and abused too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:03:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That suprises me.  I have an 05 2500 duramax tuned to over 600 hp and havent managed to snap one yet.  It gets used and abused too.
View Quote
Varying traction surfaces with wheels turned while in 4wd and carrying or pulling fairly heavy loads is what was always doing them in.
Front wheels get on a hard surface and the CV joint would pop.
Never had that problem with my Ford solid axles but those trucks had a larger turn radius.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#28]
176k on my 2006 LBZ Chevy. 100% reliability. Tows my 38 ft haulmark Edge gooseneck loaded to the gills awesome.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:39:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the route I went with my new Ram 3500. Had to special order it with the manual transmission.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 1:40:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Varying traction surfaces with wheels turned while in 4wd and carrying or pulling fairly heavy loads is what was always doing them in.
Front wheels get on a hard surface and the CV joint would pop.
Never had that problem with my Ford solid axles but those trucks had a larger turn radius.
View Quote
That makes sense.  I always baby the damn thing when turning in 4wd for just that reason.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:18:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I had my 2002 avalanche for 11 years, 200k miles and a ton of hard off roading/mudding
Never had to replace a CV

Had several other Chevy mudders I ran around with as well, none of them
Every broke a CV.
In fact, I think you are about the only person I have even heard from who says they have broken one.
My chevy 2006 3500 dually, while I don't go mudding anymore, it sees it's share of off road use between the farm
And camping trips. 240k miles with the original CV's in it.

Just yesterday I was maneuvering around a gooseneck dump box trailer with 20k lbs of maple.
Been raining the last couple of weeks, needed 4low to get it turned around and backed up.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I had my 2002 avalanche for 11 years, 200k miles and a ton of hard off roading/mudding
Never had to replace a CV
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/truck/truck1_zps0af2db09.jpg
Had several other Chevy mudders I ran around with as well, none of them
Every broke a CV.
In fact, I think you are about the only person I have even heard from who says they have broken one.
My chevy 2006 3500 dually, while I don't go mudding anymore, it sees it's share of off road use between the farm
And camping trips. 240k miles with the original CV's in it.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/truck/chevypower_zps3edba507.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c183/J75player/Mobile%20Uploads/NCM_0355_zpsb5b4b700.jpg
Just yesterday I was maneuvering around a gooseneck dump box trailer with 20k lbs of maple.
Been raining the last couple of weeks, needed 4low to get it turned around and backed up.
View Quote
Let me guess, popped a CV?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#33]
They will all break, and will all cost more than a gasser to fix when they do.

That said.

I know a guy that has been abusing a 6.7 for awhile now, and it's a monster. I'll be getting one as my next truck.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:13:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

The biggest weaknesses are basic spelling and grammar. Apparently they've gone downhill in recent years.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:27:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Instead of just the transmission being a consumable on a Dodge, they made the whole vehicle a consumable.

Unless you like, never get it wet or drive near the ocean or in snow, I guess.
View Quote
Truth.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:33:40 AM EDT
[#36]
I do like the 6.7 in my F350.  Just rolled 100k and not a single issue other than an EGT sensor replaced under warranty.  Now that im out of warranty it may be wearing a few less parts, and making a bit more power though

I think any offering from the big 3 will serve you well these days
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#37]
I just went through this a few months ago.  Sold my 07 Duramax and bought this.  I couldn't be happier with my decision.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:25:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I just went through this a few months ago.  Sold my 07 Duramax and bought this.  I couldn't be happier with my decision.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/40939/IMG-3949-214647.JPG
View Quote
Don't care for the wheels, but that is a nice looking truck. What trim level? XLT?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:53:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Cummings", really? Ford 7.2? 4 mistakes in one sentence, wow.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

not a weakness
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not a weakness
Ive never understood why people think it is.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:01:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't care for the wheels, but that is a nice looking truck. What trim level? XLT?
View Quote
Lariat
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:01:26 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Went light shopping today.  Hit a dealer of all 3.  Ford dealer did not have a post bailout facelift.  That said it was a very pleasant experiance.  

Second was the dodge.  I used the same speil-tell me why I should buy a dodge, and why It should be from you (they all skipped the second part).  The second part was quite surprising,  He said if I did not know why I should but a Dodge over the Ford or Chevy already I should just leave.  Did not want to waste my time going to a different dealer, so asked if I could at least sit in one at least.  

Chevy dealer was at least more polite.  A few issues made me feel they were marketing to a different demographic than me (none of their vehicles had a trailer prep package, and most were the highest trim package).  They never offered to even turn an engine on, and it was the only truck I did was not offered a chance to sit in.

i had my kids in tow today, so no dealer offered a test drive.  The Chevy dealer did mention it was the best way to experiance the vehicle.  The Dodge dealer wanted to get me pre-approved, not dealer financing and not worried about approval-unless they feel I am an unworthy driver of their brand truck
View Quote
The city and suburb dealers around here stock trucks for the soccer mom/dad demographic. And, more profit on the loaded trucks. Gotta get out of town and find a TRUCK dealer if you're looking for something other than appearance options. I bought a new GMC Duramax/Allison truck back in '03 (still have it) and I had to look hard to find a work truck with standard cab, long box, 4X4, rubber floor mats, towing package, etc..
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:06:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Lariat
View Quote
What do you like about the truck? Is there anything you don't like about it?

Just trying to get feedback on the new Super Duty from actual owners.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:16:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

...Chevys all had electrical gremlins for sure.
View Quote
Correct.

And while I go back to multiple very good 7.3s, I am now unable to trust Ford with a Diesel engine.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Ive never understood why people think it is.
View Quote
I think it is because if you spend most of the time loaded or towing you have to get the truck aligned that way or it will eat front tires.

I imagine there is more to go wrong with high miles, but you never seem to hear complaints about durability.

I personally do not like how the gm 2500/3500 trucks ride. Front end takes bumps great and then rear end bucks. I think the dodge and Ford feel more balanced even if the front end is bumpier.

As someone who used to develop Diesel engines, stay away from them unless you like spending a lot of money. Cummins has the most reliable fuel system. Gm and Ford with the newer Bosch fuel pumps are like ticking time bombs. One bad tank of fuel and bam $8k to fix. Gm has a Denso fuel system now. It will be interesting to see if it is more reliable.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:38:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What do you like about the truck? Is there anything you don't like about it?

Just trying to get feedback on the new Super Duty from actual owners.
View Quote
So far, I love it.  The previous post about finding a truck dealer is correct.  Had to find one in farm country back home that didn't have all the silly options.  

Mine is the Lariat basic, ultimate trailer tow.  Heavy gvw, heated/cooled seats, 8.3" touch screen.

Ford really put a lot of thought in to the options for a working truck.  Cameras, lighting, suspension seem really tailored to towing and longevity.  Horsepower and torque are awesome.  Mileage is better than expected.  I was gettting 17.5 on stock tires, and I'm gettin 16 around town on 35-12.50x20's.

I loved my Duramax, and looked at the big three when I bought this one.  To me, the Ford blew them all out of the water by a wide margin.

Mine only has 4000 miles on it.  I have yet to find something I don't like.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:39:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

The biggest weaknesses are basic spelling and grammar. Apparently they've gone downhill in recent years.
View Quote
i was really trying not let that bother me...  

OP.   the current dodge transmissions are not the ones of the past.   granted they aren't meant to take 700 off the backside of a modded Cummins 6.7 but the trannies are still good.  

you really can't beat a deleted Cummins regardless of what rumors your "buddy with a bitchin stroke' told ya"  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
I hate to break it to you, and I say this as someone who owns and drives one, but the g56, other than the old getrag in the 1st gens, is the sorriest manual transmission dodge has ever put behind the Cummins. They had to put in the pos dual mass flywheel that barely holds stock power and when you put a normal one in the transmission rattles like it's trying to fly apart. Then there is the matter of the aluminum case stretching.

The nv4500 and nv5600 were both superior. The only issue with them now is parts availability.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I think it is because if you spend most of the time loaded or towing you have to get the truck aligned that way or it will eat front tires.

I imagine there is more to go wrong with high miles, but you never seem to hear complaints about durability.

I personally do not like how the gm 2500/3500 trucks ride. Front end takes bumps great and then rear end bucks. I think the dodge and Ford feel more balanced even if the front end is bumpier.

As someone who used to develop Diesel engines, stay away from them unless you like spending a lot of money. Cummins has the most reliable fuel system. Gm and Ford with the newer Bosch fuel pumps are like ticking time bombs. One bad tank of fuel and bam $8k to fix. Gm has a Denso fuel system now. It will be interesting to see if it is more reliable.
View Quote
The fuel systems in common rail Cummins and duramax engines are virtually identical...or they were. All Bosch with CP3 and CP4 pumps and injectors. GM did switch to Denso. 

One bad tank of fuel would cause problems but they have these fancy round cans called fuel filters these days.   You used to develop engines huh?  
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Cummins still uses a cp3 as far as I know and duramax used to use a cp3. They're pretty hardy pumps. If I'm not mistaken the ford 6.7 and newer duramax use cp4 pumps and are the ones that are extremely sensitive to trash or water and will grenade and wipe out injectors too. There's actually an aftermarket kit to convert the newer duramax engines back to a cp3 pump. They actually flow more fuel than the cp4. Newer trucks all have piezo injectors and have less leakage than older injectors so the pumps don't need to produce as much flow to account for that leakage.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top