Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2017 6:22:56 PM EDT
Nobody seems to know. 

Survey: 1 In 5 Adults In The UK Can’t Change A Lightbulb, Boil An Egg

LONDON — Are you handy enough that if a lightbulb went out in your home you’d be able to change it? Believe it or not, one in five people aren’t so skilled. In fact, a new survey of people in the United Kingdom finds not only do about 20 percent of people not know how to change a bulb — the same number aren’t sure how to boil an egg, either.
The British insurance company Aviva recently released their annual Home Report which detailed, among numerous findings about how people do work around the house, relatively common tasks that people encounter. The company surveyed 2004 people across the UK in February and March about their habits and roles at home.
In addition to just one in five not being able to change a lightbulb or boil an egg, the survey found that nearly a third of the participants couldn’t cook any meal on the fly. And if someone were to spill a portion of their meal on their clothes or on the floor, only 59 percent would know how to get rid of the resulting stain. 

And I thought not being able to change a tire was bad...

Article
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:26:17 PM EDT
[#1]
87% don't know how to floss.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#2]
How beta do you have to be in order to not know how to change a lightbulb? Is there a term for "less than beta"? If not, we need it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How beta do you have to be in order to not know how to change a lightbulb? Is there a term for "less than beta"? If not, we need it.
View Quote
Gamma?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
'British'?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Q: How many Brits does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: Does it have to be a lightbulb?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:29:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Gamma?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gamma?
Omega. As far from Alpha as you can get.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#7]
That is perverse.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Part of me wants to believe that these surveys are obnoxious supper time phone calls and the respondents are simply trolling out of spite.

I certainly would.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:33:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I imagine it would be similar results here. It's like the zombie apocalypse without the eating each other part. "1 in 5 Americans cant figure out how to open a closed door." are headlines I'm expecting in the near future. People are walking in front of trains while staring at their phone. Lol!
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 6:57:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Part of me wants to believe that these surveys are obnoxious supper time phone calls and the respondents are simply trolling out of spite.

I certainly would.
View Quote
Telemarketers in the UK don't tend to fare well.  

"hi, I'm from x survey......do you know how to change a lightbulb"

"No. fuck off, you mithering cunt.  Ring this number again and I will hunt you down and future-fuck your unborn progeny to death with a nail encrusted sledge hammer."
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Or even brush.....
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:04:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty sure 1 in 5 people in London are not British

Edit, oh accross Britain.

Probably most calls were answered in Birmingham.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I knew a guy near Seattle who owned no hand tools of any kid, not even a screwdriver.
he said that he hurt himself any time he tried to do anything so he got rid of all tools.
I had to get a screwdriver out of my truck toolbox to handle two screws in a toy for his kid.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Meanwhile, 22% are confident in "fitting tiles".  If that translates to cutting tiles, installing and grouting, I'd say that's a higher competency rate than what I've observed from those here who do it professionally.  But then again, it's British English, so, hell, it could mean drawing an inside straight, or something like that.  Who knows.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:14:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Pussification is reaching critical stage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, now I just have to ask.  @Bradders - Do YOU know how to change a lightbulb?   How about a tire?  
View Quote
Fuck, dude.   He probably can't even spell it.   I'll bet he thinks it has a fucking y in it somewhere.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 7:48:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Well, now I just have to ask.  @Bradders - Do YOU know how to change a lightbulb?   How about a tire tyre?  
View Quote
Jesus, at least speak a language he understands.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:04:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Telemarketers in the UK don't tend to fare well.  

"hi, I'm from x survey......do you know how to change a lightbulb"

"No. fuck off, you mithering cunt.  Ring this number again and I will hunt you down and future-fuck your unborn progeny to death with a nail encrusted sledge hammer."
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:06:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Well, if they wire houses like they wire vehicles, 3.

One to change the bulb and two to fan the smoke away.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Shoestring shortage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 8:34:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Walked past three DLR workers trying to attach a sign with tywraps. THREE DIFFERENT OPINIONS on how to do it. Still got it wrong.
Brits love their tywraps.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:18:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I certainly would.
View Quote
Historically speaking, good times breeds weak men and women. Weak men and women creates hard times. Hard times creates strong men and women. Hard men and women creates good times et cetera.

So it's probably true and it will get worse.

World wars and economic depressions hardens people and we haven't had one nor the British since 1945.

The longer we succeed, the harder the fall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top