Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#1]
When OP starts swinging snakes at mass I will believe him to be a true Man of God!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Welp....
OK
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
The cool things about the teachings of Jesus is that he never said to read your Bible. He brought good news and told people to spread it. You were created and are loved.

Believing is the hardest thing to do. At least for me, but maybe it's supposed to be hard. I struggle with it every day. 

In my life I have found that it is easier to not believe. The idea that I'm in control or completely random out of control is a much easier road than faith. 

Dudism sounds mentally and emotionally lazy 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I see the wailing and gnashing of teeth has already begun.

The way I look at it religious people are like married folks. They're not happy unless everyone else is as miserable as they are.
View Quote

Atheist special snowflake is triggered.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What is your explanation for the creation of god?

If you say he wasn't created, he is and has always been. Well, there you go.
View Quote

Well I don't need to keep an answer within the bounds of known science, so more ideas are possible.  An atheist needs to explain how everything came into existence out of nothing, with such an occurrence literally being literally impossible if we're going by known science.
"well why couldn't the energy of our universe have always existed?"
1-Because it would have still needed to be created somehow.
2-Because per the law of entropy, it would have eventually disorganized and dissipated itself to the point of uselessness like our universe is currently doing.  This makes the thought of an 'eternal universe' or cycle of universes seem very strange to me.  There's no mechanism for the universe to 'reset' itself and repeat the big bang.  Current models show that the expansion of the universe is actually increasing, and that eventually everything will simply cool off and freeze trillions of years in the future.  This implies that our universe has a set 'starting time, and ending time', which is inconsistent with the thought of a universe which had always existed.  I mean yeah, we can talk about multiverse theory, and other crazy stuff about how quantum variations could trigger another big bang, but that stuff is just as unscientific as saying "God did it".

As a spiritual person I can say ^Maybe this isn't the whole story.  An atheist needs to explain how our universe is possible within the above constraints.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thunder and lightning? Made by angry god.
View Quote

No, that's Thor. He's not angry, he's protecting us
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:19:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Well I don't need to keep an answer within the bounds of known science, so more ideas are possible.  An atheist needs to explain how everything came into existence out of nothing, with such an occurrence literally being literally impossible if we're going by known science.
2-Because per the law of entropy, it would have eventually disorganized and dissipated itself to the point of uselessness like our universe is currently doing.  This makes the thought of an 'eternal universe' or cycle of universes seem very strange to me.  There's no mechanism for the universe to 'reset' itself and repeat the big bang.  Current models show that the expansion of the universe is actually increasing, and that eventually everything will simply cool off and freeze trillions of years in the future.  This implies that our universe has a set 'starting time, and ending time', which is inconsistent with the thought of a universe which had always existed.  I mean yeah, we can talk about multiverse theory, and other crazy stuff about how quantum variations could trigger another big bang, but that stuff is just as unscientific as saying "God did it".
https://image.slidesharecdn.com/lawsofthermodynamics-110127123454-phpapp02/95/laws-of-thermodynamics-3-728.jpg?cb=1296131727
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is your explanation for the creation of god?

If you say he wasn't created, he is and has always been. Well, there you go.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/lawsofthermodynamics-110127123454-phpapp02/95/laws-of-thermodynamics-3-728.jpg?cb=1296131727

burn
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
View Quote

Is this evidence sufficient?

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can't be bothered to believe anything, I just want my family to be happy.
View Quote

friggin truth right here.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been thinking of starting a militant evangelical Dudist sect. I'm still debating if I'll choose a Walterist orientation or Donnyist outlook. Since I plan on being militantly evangelical, The Walterist approach may be best. But, since I've always been a huge fan of hipocricy in religion, I think that claiming to be Donnyist in my outlook but acting like Walter may be best.

The Dude Vult!
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can't be bothered to believe anything, I just want my family to be happy.

If you don't believe in anything, you believe in nothing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
How do you "walk away" from atheism? Is that like quitting smoking when you didn't smoke to begin with? I think if you start bragging to people you quit smoking when they knew you didn't smoke to begin with, they're going to think you're a loon.

Or you're admitting that atheism is a religion.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/275845/1486523213578-147177.jpg
Atheism is the quick route to moral nihilism and hedonism and is one of the main sources of the fragmentation and destruction of Western Society.

Sort yourselves out.
View Quote

Someone has been doing rails of red pills.

Jordan Peterson is legend tho.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:30:03 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont know if there is a deity or not just like everyone else here on earth that also doesnt know.

I can admit that, and I dont really care that much either way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#15]
That's like, just your opinion... man.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Someone has been doing rails of red pills.

Jordan Peterson is legend tho.
View Quote

He is seemingly on his own level of perception of everyone I've listened to, and I watch/learn/listen to a lot of content. I've been knocking out his newest lectures over the last few days.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:38:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool story, dude. 

Some of the rest of you are wound way too tight. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
... by God, I believe in love.
View Quote

I'm envious.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:45:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Isn't this essentially a "struggling agnostic?"
View Quote

Remove the struggling part and sure.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#21]
If you believe the idea of a deity is possible, then you are agnostic not atheist.

Many people make the mistake, dont feel bad. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It takes a lot of faith to be an atheist.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you believe the idea of a deity is possible, then you are agnostic not atheist.

View Quote

All atheists are agnostic but not all agnostics are atheist.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
It's never too latmine to turn to Jesus.
View Quote

That didn't take long.

Well played, OP, well played.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#25]
That's great, man.  Speaking on behalf of the entire internet here, that's great. Thanks for letting us know.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Dudeism is more of a philosophy than a religion.  It obviously has agnosticism as the base, but the prevailing focus is not on the (non)existence of a creator but rather on an individual enjoyment of life and the desire to not allow outside factors to negatively affect one's attitude.

I will admit it would be hard to be a Dudeist and be an atheist.  Atheism is a deliberate disbelief in the existence of any god.  If you are thinking negatively enough about mythical beings to make a deliberate statement "there absolutely is no god" then it can't help but detract from your enjoyment of life here and now.  You will waste valuable time continuing to try to prove a negative to yourself.  A Dudeist just wouldn't care since it really doesn't matter.

tl;dr, OP is a chillin' agnostic
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:02:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

All atheists are agnostic but not all agnostics are atheist.
View Quote

Pretty much.

Theism is about faith.

Atheism is about evidence.

Gnosticism is about schizophrenia.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Atheism, I believe in nothing, except for the fact that everyone else is wrong.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:05:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I was raised as a nominal Presbyterian, but really in a non-denominational Protestant home. We didn't go to Church, I only heard of Jesus on Easter and Christmas and when my dad was working on the car, and just went along with it...kind of. I never really believed in the story, but if my parents said it was so, it was.

Then I grew up, got into science and math and began to examine the Bible logically. It just doesn't hold up to scrutiny, so I dismissed it. I figured some form of deity was possible, however unlikely. The universe just was, science's job was to figure out the what and how of the universe, philosophy's job was to figure out why it mattered, and never the twain should meet. I left it at that, content in my Weltanschauung.

Last night, I had an epiphany, a moment of clarity as drunks call it. I'm a Dudeist. I float through life and I'm cool with it, or as Snoopy put it, "My life has no purpose, no direction, no aim, no meaning, and yet I’m happy. I can’t figure it out. What am I doing right?”

Maybe there's a God, maybe there isn't, but I can't do anything about it, so why worry? I'm more about enjoying the here and now, not obsessing over the where and when and why. To quote Spicoli, "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine."

And it feels great.

http://dudeism.com/
View Quote

This is where I'm at.  Treat people how you want to be treated......don't be an A-hole, and enjoy life
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Some of you really need to lighten up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP is an Agnostic
View Quote

^this
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is not entirely correct. Agnosticism and atheism/theism are not mutually exclusive. In fact, I would contend that the majority of people, religious or otherwise, are agnostic.

This is because agnosticism pertains to knowledge while atheism/theism is a matter of belief. For example, I do not believe in the existence of a deity, therefore I am an atheist. But at the same time, I can't claim to know with absolute certainty that a god does not exist. I am an agnostic atheist.

Likewise, it is a rare thing to meet a theist who claims to never experience moments of doubt in their faith. One who believes in god, but concedes that it is impossible to know of god's existence with absolute certainty is an agnostic theist.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:14:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Atheism is the quick route to moral nihilism and hedonism and is one of the main sources of the fragmentation and destruction of Western Society.

Sort yourselves out.
View Quote
so, Marx was right when he said that organized religion is the opiate of the masses?
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Are we splitting hairs here? 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't this essentially a "struggling agnostic?"

Yea, I had to actually look up the definition of agnostic.  Best I can reason, agnostics believe in God, but not organized religion.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:21:30 PM EDT
[#36]
That's agnostic and philosophically sounds like mix of existential, nihilistic, hedonism.  You're basically avoiding the most important questions of life because making a decision seems impossible, no view seems decisively correct, and I'm gonna guess it doesn't even seem like truth or purpose can be found.  So you're just giving up and zoning out.  That may work for awhile but it's gonna come back later.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Atheism is the quick route to moral nihilism  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:27:04 PM EDT
[#38]
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Think about it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Atheism, I believe in nothing, except for the fact that everyone else is wrong.
View Quote

More like, "I'll believe claims of gods when somebody has good evidence."

But I'm glad you didn't miss a chance to be snarky
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:30:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Maybe I should have titled this thread something like "walking away from Agnostic Atheism". I didn't. Sue me. Some of this is because my whole life I've just kind of had no direction in life and was disappointing everyone else, even when I did what they wanted (went to college, tried the cubicle thing, didn't take certain opportunities).

But see, the great thing about Dudeism is that it embraces that uncertainty. Is there a God, a Heaven, a Devil? Reincarnation? Nirvana? Ghosts? Who knows? But really the answer is to not worry about it. Live in the now and stop being concerned with that stuff. I don't believe in the whole Bible story, but even if I did, I don't have to let it define me. It's just a concept I'm okay with, one way or another. But we can always debate it because stuff like that is just opinion, man.

That doesn't mean be a Nihilist (that would be exhausting). If you can do something about an issue, do it. But it does mean if you can't, don't gut hung up on it. Just let it wash away and in that lies happiness.

You can have God/Jesus/Thor/Nirvana, but you get it without the judgmental side effects, without the punishment, without the threats, without the endless navel gazing, without the continual introspective philosophizing.

The end goal is to live a life of happiness. I'm allowed to be happy with my life of drifting pointlessness. I don't have to worry about guilt because I looked at my neighbor's wife's rack and though it was perfect, or because I'm a musician with a cleft asshole, or because drank too much or whatever. I get to keep on keeping on for me. Dudeism showed me the way.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience.  We are spiritual beings having a human experience.

Think about it.
View Quote

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
---Yoda
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:42:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I've always though that being an Atheist required more faith than simply being agnostic/spiritual.  Takes a whole lot of faith to believe that the universe randomly exploded into existence from a tiny singularity(The very concept of the big bang violates plenty of laws of physics.  Where did the singularity come from, and why would it explode rather than simply existing as a black hole?), with the perfect laws of physics to make our existence possible (Even slight differences would have made advanced life nonviable), and then life randomly arose for no apparent reason(and proceeded to assemble itself into the incredible structures and variations that we see today).  Even things like not having a moon would have likely made our planet too unstable to host advanced life(and our moon was created by another of those one-in-a-billion freak accidents).  

As I see it, the concept of the big bang seems to be impossible per the known laws of physics, unless things are possible which we don't currently understand or know about.(and in that case, it doesn't seem so silly to believe such things might actually be a higher power/god).  How somebody can just say with conviction "THERE IS NO GOD", when they can't even explain the creation of the universe has always seemed silly to me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I've always though that being an Atheist required more faith than simply being agnostic/spiritual.  Takes a whole lot of faith to believe that the universe randomly exploded into existence from a tiny singularity(The very concept of the big bang violates plenty of laws of physics.  Where did the singularity come from, and why would it explode rather than simply existing as a black hole?), with the perfect laws of physics to make our existence possible (Even slight differences would have made advanced life nonviable), and then life randomly arose for no apparent reason(and proceeded to assemble itself into the incredible structures and variations that we see today).  Even things like not having a moon would have likely made our planet too unstable to host advanced life(and our moon was created by another of those one-in-a-billion freak accidents).  

As I see it, the concept of the big bang seems to be impossible per the known laws of physics, unless things are possible which we don't currently understand or know about.(and in that case, it doesn't seem so silly to believe such things might actually be a higher power/god).  How somebody can just say with conviction "THERE IS NO GOD", when they can't even explain the creation of the universe has always seemed silly to me.

There is so much I'm struggling with here.

Simply put, you are missing the entire theory of the big bang.  You are trying to reason physics to the BB, when, before the BB, there was no physics.  No strong force, no weak force, etc...  Rules of physics were not set until after the BB.  What the hell are these "perfect laws of physics" you speak of?

As for the second part of the first paragraph, are you trying to claim life only exists on this planet?  That's the only reason I can see to bring in the structure of the moon as a requirement to "advanced life."  Also, I don't know of any biologists that claim pure randomness in the creation of life.  There are a lot of theories around, but none of the serious ones account for "random."  The moon was also not created in a "one-in-a-billion" freak accident.  Moons are actually VERY common in the universe, and not a requirement for life.  What you are referring to is tidal forces, and there is nothing to prove it is required for life.  It just makes life on this planet the way it is.

As I see it, the concept of the big bang seems to be impossible per the known laws of physics

Again, the big bang occurred when the laws of physics did NOT exist.

unless things are possible which we don't currently understand or know about.

Yes, that is science.  Contrary to what the media and others say and think, science is NEVER settled.

Bottom line Atheism and science are two totally different things.  Avoid mixing religion in with your science.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:43:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I don't believe there's a supreme being who created the universe, and now everything in it - down to the last sub-atomic particle - is one infinitely enormous puppet show with TSB pulling the strings.  On the other hand, I don't believe there isn't, and certainly not with sufficient conviction to try to convince others.

I'll tell you what I do believe in.  I believe in 230 grains overclocked to 900 fps, and, by God, I believe in love.
View Quote

pretty much where I'm at
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I dont look anything like an ape.
View Quote

I do
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

No, that's Thor. He's not angry, he's protecting us
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:51:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Some people need purpose in life, some people don't.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I don't believe there's a supreme being who created the universe, and now everything in it - down to the last sub-atomic particle - is one infinitely enormous puppet show with TSB pulling the strings.  On the other hand, I don't believe there isn't, and certainly not with sufficient conviction to try to convince others.

I'll tell you what I do believe in.  I believe in 230 grains overclocked to 900 fps, and, by God, I believe in love.
View Quote

Atomic has a 185gr 45acp that pushes 1250fps, and 616lbs
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:54:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Humans never rode dinosaurs around.
View Quote

Oh no you di-int.

Link Posted: 2/15/2017 4:54:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Sort yourselves out.
View Quote

Ve believe in nothing, and tomorrow we come back and cut off your chonson.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top