Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2003 8:45:34 PM EDT
Has anyone read any of his books?  I was in Barnes and Noble with my son last night and came across this author.  The books look interesting and I like the idea of alternative history as a fiction medium.  Is he worth reading and with what book should I start?
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Guns of the South was a good book, I haven't read any of his others though.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Guns of the South was a good book, I haven't read any of his others though.
View Quote

Guns of the South was great(I thought so anyway)
His other books are OK.(to me)
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a 'Guns of the South' fan!

The illustration on the front of the book, Lee standing in front of his home in Richmond (as in the famous Matthew Brady photo) with an AK-47 in his hands!

Whoa!

Just imagine....

Eric The(Damn!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Harry Turtlewho?  [;D]
I've read a few of the Worldwar series, still haven't gotten around to guns of the south, but i don't doubt it's a great book!
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 10:02:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm a great fan of Alt History, Guns of the South was a fun read.

Turtledove's "How Few Remain" was better in the first two books.

Basicaly The South wins the Civil War, But this leads to a second civil war a few years later which ends up in a sort of draw, of course the Euro Trash gets involved and both the North and South become entangled in the Euro allinces that lead to WWI However in Turtledove's time line WWI is not fought on the fields of Flanders, but in Kentucky.

In the books of the series after WWI Turtledove seems to run out of ideas for the main historical characters Like Teddy Roosevelt, George Armstrong Custer (Custer ends up being a sort of semi-senile Ferdinand Foch like Allied supreme commander in Turtledove's WWI in the America's). In the later books all of the really intresting historical characters dissapear and Turtledoves attempts at intresting you in new invented storyline characters fails completely...leaving you wanting to throw the book at a wall out of shear boredom and frustration.

Sorry but the first two or three books of the series were pretty good but the last couple have left me wondering why I spent good money on them.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:19:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Guns Of The South was pretty neat. Read it a couple times and then lent it to a friend. That was years ago, and the last I'd see of it. Haha..

Here's the pic ETH was talking about:

[img]http://lookinside-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35leqXngnEdTgUbdATd6s85Y+vf86+wnXQejBYX8vnrfo/EF36IZ1JMMb471Pb5vhXORs=[/img]
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 11:39:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm waiting for the next volume of the WorldWar series.

Maybe in that Alternative Universe there is no such thing as a Post Dealer Sample.

What would the price of an M16A4 be in that World?
[<]:)]
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:27:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I like his books
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 3:31:20 AM EDT
[#9]
The Great War series tells the tale of WWI in the North American theater.  The USA is fighting a two-front war with the CSA and Canada.  If you're a history buff who likes to "what if?" I think you'll enjoy them.  For a paperback recreational read I was entertained.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:00:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Has anyone read any of his books?  I was in Barnes and Noble with my son last night and came across this author.  The books look interesting and I like the idea of alternative history as a fiction medium.  Is he worth reading and with what book should I start?
View Quote

I highly recommend Harry Turtledove's alternative history novels, and would begin with [u]How Few Remain[/u].  After that one, you'll have a hard time stopping until you've read every volume of every series.

On the other hand, the sci-fi stuff isn't for me.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:11:46 AM EDT
[#11]
[u]Guns of the South[/u] is good.  But not his best.

[u]How few Remain[/u] is very very good, but the rest of the series falls off as it goes along.

The Worldwar and Colonization series are pretty good.

I liked [u]The Two Georges[/u] and [u]Agent of Byzantium[/u] also.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 4:32:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have enjoyed every one of his books.
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 6:00:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Read Agent a few years ago and Two Georges a couple of years ago, am working through Ruled Brittania right now.
The colonization series got me started on his books.

Nick
Link Posted: 7/3/2003 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife bought me Guns of the South tonight!!!  I broke away long enough to surf a little.  So far I am loving it!
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 5:11:35 AM EDT
[#15]
I like his stuff. He also has a great book about the Civil War battle of Franklin except with mages and crossbows instead of rifles and artillery.

I liked the aliens intervening in WWII the best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top