Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2003 7:13:55 AM EDT
I have bought and sold on gunbroker a few time and have just bought a Oly Arms ar-15 and the guy then says no paypal and if I want to use my Amex card he need a copy of my DL, copy of card front and back and copy of my billing statment just showing the billing address.  He hasnt giving me his phone number even after asking 2-3 time for it.  He says he needs this infor for his bank that he has him merchant accout at. I just sent him an email saying my dealer requires the following to take shippment from non-ffls, he need a copy of the sellers dl and phone number.  The guy seams not willing to provide this and want to call the dealer since it is not required legaly.  I think I need to cancel this tranaction if the guy is not willing to provide this.  

This is the short version of the dealings so far.  The guy wants all my info but wont give me his.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
What's his feedback ?
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, when I bought a mac from a cmputer store on the US using a credit card (amex too), they made me fax them front and back of ID card, credit card and the statement of the card that matched the addredd they were suposed to ship.

This was for around $1700 and like a year ago.

NsB
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#3]
On gubroker just 1, and on ebay 1362,  http://cgi2.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=valkyriebiker

Let me know what you guys think.  Thanks...

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:33:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I use an FFL transfer guy that requires valid ID from even private party sellers and all address information.  There are other local FFL's who don't require it, but it gives me peace of mind.  You're buying a weapon.  Its an object the liberal press hates, lawmakers constantly try and regulate, and that soccer mom types don't understand.  I'd demand that he provide the information and if he doesn't, bail from the transaction.  There's no legitimate reason he should not be willing to give you his identity and contact information if he's operating on the straight and level.   My guess is that he's probably a non-FFL that sells way too many guns to be a "private party" and he's worried about leaving a paper trail.   But he still might well get busted in the future.  Do you want to be holding a gun the press will say you "purchased from an unlicensed illegal weapons dealer"?????

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I say back out unless the deal is too good to pass up.  Seems like too much trouble to me if you could easily find the gun locally for a few bucks more.

I've bought and sold a lot of guns over the internet over the years.  I've used paypal, CC, MO, and never had to jump through those hoops.  I've never asked for a DL, and never been asked for one.  I've never had to send a copy of the CC, front or back.  I would be concerned with security issues over that, since he will then have your CC, copy of your sig., the security info from the back of the CC, AND your SS# if it is on your DL like mine.

I don't see why he can charge your CC and make sure it clears before shipping the gun.  But I suppose he wants to make sure the CC isn't stolen.  Perhaps there are easier ways to check if a CC is legit without getting all of your personal info.

As far as the FFL, I used to have a local dealer who was convinced that he had to receive a gun in the mail from an FFL dealer.  I ditched him fast, because it was too much hassle to explain it to the seller every time, and it was too much hassle to try to convince my dealer that he was wrong.

To me, the biggest red flag is that he will not give you his phone number.  It's pretty standard to speak with a person by phone before finalizing a big dollar transaction.  That's pretty suspicious.  Not to mention only 1 feedback on gunbroker???  Hell, for all you know, he found a dealer on EBAY with a high rating, and he has been using the same USERNAME and claiming all the feedback as his own.  

Anyway, I wouldn't risk it myself, but it's your money.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have bought and sold on gunbroker a few time and have just bought a Oly Arms ar-15 and the guy then says no paypal and if I want to use my Amex card he need a copy of my DL, copy of card front and back and copy of my billing statment just showing the billing address.  He hasnt giving me his phone number even after asking 2-3 time for it.  He says he needs this infor for his bank that he has him merchant accout at. I just sent him an email saying my dealer requires the following to take shippment from non-ffls, he need a copy of the sellers dl and phone number.  The guy seams not willing to provide this and want to call the dealer since it is not required legaly.  I think I need to cancel this tranaction if the guy is not willing to provide this.  

This is the short version of the dealings so far.  The guy wants all my info but wont give me his.

View Quote

I have done a LOT of deals on the internet. With sums over $1-200 , I get the seller/buyers phone#, and they get mine.

When I do a deal, it's either my way, in compliance with the law, or it's the highway.

No contact #, and physical address, NO deal!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top