Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2003 4:34:58 PM EDT
I know this has been done to death, but I have one kind of particular circumstance, and a somewhat particular goal.
The Circumstance:
I'm renting.  I won't be here forever, but maybe another year or so.  I need to be able to move this thing without calling in a forklift & a flatbed.
The Goal:
Besides theft prevention, is it has to be airtight.  I live in South Florida and am 2 miles from the beach.  Stainless steel rusts in 2 days if left outside un-oiled.  What else can be done to prevent rust besides wiping them down?  I see these goldenrod things, what's the story with them?  I keep damp-rid in a tub on top of the cabinet I have now, should I be putting it inside the cabinet as well?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a Sentry model #R3920.

Costs about $300.00, weighs about 350lbs.

It is not air-tight, but that could be fixed by adding some close celled foam that is sticky on one side around the edge of the door opening.

I bought a two pound tub of silica gel and put it in the bottom of mine. You might need that and the damp-rid both with as much moisture as you describe.

A Golden Rod does not remove moisture. It warms the air and raises the condensation point. That would help too. The drawback is you need a small hole in the safe to pass the electrical cord through and an outlet nearby.

You might need to use some of the methods above and store the guns in corosion resisting gun socks as well.

The gun socks and the Golden Rod are items I have no personal experience with.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Any idea on sources for the sentry safe?  That's kind of what I had my eye on too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#3]
[url=http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/zanottimodularsafe.msnw]Zanotti Modular Safe[/url] - [url=http://groups.msn.com/ThePennsylvaniaAR15ShootersSite/zanottimodularsafe.msnw]click for pics[/url]

The Golden rod emits heat, same as leaving a light bulb running, but probably more reliable.

You'll need more protection than that.

Brownells sells some stuff that emits a vapor that clings to and protects metal.  Don't recall the name, but you should be able to find it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What did that modular cost ya?  Where'd you get it?  Do they make a smaller model?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Any idea on sources for the sentry safe?  That's kind of what I had my eye on too.
View Quote

Officemax, Walmart, Target, other major department stores.

The smaller fireproof boxes come in handy for ammo storage if you are paranoid about fire.[;)]

[url=]www.cabelas.com[/url] sells dessiccant in several sizes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:45:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Try "CE Safes" on Copans Rd just west of I-95. They have about a hundred safes in the showroom. All sizes. I bought my first one there and when I outgrew it, they offered to take it in on trade when they delivered my BIG one. Worked out great.

Sean

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What did that modular cost ya?  Where'd you get it?  Do they make a smaller model?
View Quote

1.  Don't know, it's a buddys'

2.  [url]http://www.zanottiarmor.com/[/url]

3.  Yes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top