Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2003 3:54:01 PM EDT
Who becides Winchester makes a decent lever action?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#1]
MARLIN!
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Marlin

This is what I have in .357
[img]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/1894C.jpg[/img]

If anybody knows of a synthetic stock for it let me know so I can make it my truck gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Marlin, I'd take a 336 over a 94 anyday! I love my 30/30 and am looking to get a .35 Rem too.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, that was just what I was looking for.  I saw a stainless lever action the other day but for the life of me couldnt find anything like it on Winchester's site.  

I am looking to buy a Ruger Redhawk and then get a lever action in the same caliber.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:27:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Can somone post the pic of the scout rail for the Marlin that Natchez sells?  
When I get back home I am going to order one. The lever action rifle was one of the most deadly assault weapons ever made.

An aimpoint is going on mine!

Samuel
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:28:41 PM EDT
[#7]
This is what I plan on getting
Marlin 1894SS
[img]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/1894ss.jpg[/img]

Ruger Blackhawk
[img]http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/131L.gif[/img]

Both in .44 Magnum

Now I just need to decide whether I want 5.5" or 7.5" barrels on the pistols.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#8]
If you're gonna get the carbine, might as well get compact pistols, right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:20:06 PM EDT
[#9]
browning makes a sweet if not altogether "old fashioned" lever action in most standard rifle calibers.  detachable magazine for spitzer type bullets.  worth a look - it depends on what you like.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Scott, actually that is a Super Redhawk. And remember Jensen's has quite the assortment of Marlins in pistola cartridges....[:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Dave, are you sure?  I think the super redhawks have the funky barrel.  

[img]http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/55L.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
No doubt in my mind - Marlin!!!
IMO no other company even comes close.
In lever action, I own a Marlin 45-70, .44 Mag, and .45 Cowboy.
I think they are wonderful and acurate rifles.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I did my fair share of research on lever actions awhile ago and learned that the general consensus was that Marlins were far superior to Winchesters and were well worth the extra money.

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This is what I plan on getting
Marlin 1894SS
[url]http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/images/firearmImages/1894ss.jpg[/url]

Ruger Blackhawk
[url]http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/images/Products/131L.gif[/url]

Both in .44 Magnum

Now I just need to decide whether I want 5.5" or 7.5" barrels on the pistols.
View Quote

I have that exact rifle.  You will love it.  Shoots hollow points just fine.  It kicks a lot more than you would expect it to.  I also have a pair of stainless Vaqueros as well.  IMO they are much better suited to rough outdoor work.  BTW that is a Super Blackhawk I believe.  I have a stainless Super Redhawk and that isn't it.

Edited to add that it is a Redhawk, not a super redhawk.  Blackhawks are basically Vaqueros with modern sights.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 2:49:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I know that they don't meet the current frenzied craze but don't discount the legendary Savage 99s.  I had two in .300 Savage and they were great!  The beauty of these were that they had box magazines and came in high velocity calibers.  Newer models actually had/have detachable box magazines and come in such calibers as .308.  These were serious hunting rifles in their day and are still very useful.  Mine were of the 1950's vintage and had the brass rotary magazine.  Talk about smooth as glass!!!  Reliability was always top notch as well.

As for sights, they came with standard leaf rear sights but one of mine had a Williams peep installed and was a charm.  You could also mount scopes on them.

The nice thing about good lever guns is that they make great defense rifles in that they hold enough rounds, ergonomic, fast, and sleek enough to handle and carry.  Also, you can carry one around without getting the "stare" you get now if seen with an evil black rifle.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
5.5" on the Redhawk.
Unless you plan to scope it for hunting.

Great choices.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 3:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I've got a Marlin Cowboy 1894 in .45Colt and it's companion revolver is a Ruger Redhawk with 5.5" barrel.
Both are very handy!
Both can shoot mild or "WILD" loads.
It's a very nice combination!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 4:23:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]
I love my Marlin Pumpkin thrower...

Marlin 1895 .45-70

BOOM
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love my Marlin Pumpkin thrower...

Marlin 1895 .45-70

BOOM
View Quote

I've always wanted one of those.

Currently - Winchester 94 16" .45 Colt (to go with my .45 Blackhawk and .45 Vaquero)
CR
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote for Marlin!  I have a 336 in 35 Rem and the 1895 in 45-70.  I also have a Winchester in 30-30, but the Marlin's are much smoother to operate.  but maybe that's just me.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know that they don't meet the current frenzied craze but don't discount the legendary Savage 99s.  I had two in .300 Savage and they were great!  The beauty of these were that they had box magazines and came in high velocity calibers.  Newer models actually had/have detachable box magazines and come in such calibers as .308.  These were serious hunting rifles in their day and are still very useful.  Mine were of the 1950's vintage and had the brass rotary magazine.  Talk about smooth as glass!!!  Reliability was always top notch as well.

As for sights, they came with standard leaf rear sights but one of mine had a Williams peep installed and was a charm.  You could also mount scopes on them.

The nice thing about good lever guns is that they make great defense rifles in that they hold enough rounds, ergonomic, fast, and sleek enough to handle and carry.  Also, you can carry one around without getting the "stare" you get now if seen with an evil black rifle.
View Quote

You say had,you didn't sell them did you?  I have one of those early vintage 99f,rotary mag,lever safety in 308 Win,with a 3x9 Ted Williams scope(yep sears best at the time)!

You can hit clays at 100 yards standing or walking!   And you don't have to use flat nosed bullets!    Savage Lever gets  my vote(stronger lockup also)!  

Ever see the movie Death Hunt Lee Marvin was using a 30/40 Craig,Carl Weathers a 303,there were a lot of lever action Marlins in there also!  But Alvin Johnson(Bronson) was using a Savage(maybe a 300,maybe 308) but still weapon of choice a Savage Lever Action!

Just a movie but still the best rotary mag lever action made(then and now)now there was a rotary action semi made(think it might have been called the Johnson also) last one sold at action for 14,000!

Just ask Jim dandy if you don't believe me!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
 Marlin makes very nice leverguns. Lately their QC seems to have been a little spotty judging by some of the comments I've been seeing on their website.
 I have Marlins in 357, 44 mag, 22, and today zeroed a 30-30 with an Ashley Scout mount and a Leupold Scout scope. It is shooting onto 2" at 100 yards from sitting with a hot barrel so I'm not complaining.
 I like pre 64 Winchester 94's. There is a world of difference in the ones made after that.
 My Marlin 44 mag is an 1894 and it kicks a lot more than you would think. After a trigger job and a William's Foolproof rear sight, it shoots well. The pistol caliber carbines never seem to want to shoot as well as say a 30-30 because the short heavy pistol bullets just don't do as well as the longer, more balanced rifle bullets.
 If you get a Marlin, I would try to find an older, pre-safety gun. They are nicer. If you want it to shoot you will pretty much have to get a trigger job. Marlin triggers have gotten lawyer proof. A lot of guys like the Wild West Guns "Trigger Happy" trigger. I haven't tried one, but they get rave reviews.
 A scout scoped 44 mag Marlin would be a hell of a weapon. How else can you launch a 240 grain slug at almost 2 grand out of a gun that is three feet long and weighs 6 pounds?
 The forward mounting position of the scout scope balances the gun forward and makes it feel more solid and hang better. It also keeps the muzzle down during recoil.
 Get one.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:30:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Suggest you mosey on over to the Cowboys on the SASS Wire

http://www.sassnet.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=2

and read up there.  Gets pretty heated over the best lever gun.  Winchester 1873 clones seem to be the smoothest out of the box.  Slicked up Winchester 1892 clones made by a variety are next and are much stronger than 73s.  Some are great without work.  The Marlins get a lot of good reports (but I seen more of those jam than anything else, but that's just me).  The Winchester 94s seem to be the least appreciated.  Unfortunately thats because most of the CAS shooting is done with pistol calibers and the 94 was designed for the longer rifle cartridges and it isn't as smooth.

Hammerless and the Win 95 don't meet the "rules" so don't get discussed much.

When you get into rifle calibers the 94s both W and M are popular.  The 1886 Winchester in 45-70 new versions and originals are real popular.

Any lever in 45-70 is popular.  Now those are fun to shoot.  BTW they do kick a bit more than an AR in .223.

If it matters John Wayne and Jimmy Stewart used Winchesters not Marlins.

Current Winchester  and Browning m1892 clones are made in Japan by Miroku and are really nice.  The 1892 clones made in Brazil by Rossi, Puma and imported by several are made on the original Winchester tooling.
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 8:06:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for all the info guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top