BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 129
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I   agree.  I am guilty of mixing and matching you of those who have provided previous arguments for the 6.5.

None the less using your current argument, if I want to kill medium sized game out to 400 yards ethically, the 6.5 nor the 6.8 are my choice.  300 yards is pushing it.  
You can blow the lungs out of a deer at 300 with either cartridge and it will still run a substancial distance, compared to what my .30-06 or .300 winmag does.

I prefer DRT or pretty close.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: Cool. Glad it is working out for you.  Now let's think about it.  Good ammo is more than the 6.8.  Not every barrel is equal. You want to take FULL advantage of your 6.5....say shoot 1000yds someday??   You aren't getting there on $120 barrel!  If you aren't building it to take advantage of all THE AMAZING BRAGGING POINTS, the what is the point???

A .24+ bullet that hits hard and accurately at 3-400yds for medium sized game.

6.5 has more performance, 6.8 is cheaper.

Both need help on cost/availability IMO
Keep   preaching that.  I have addressed this already.  You want to kill game at long distances with a 6.5 go ahead.  You need to be very proficient to get anymore hunting use out of a 6.5 at distance.  

Inside 300 yards the cartridges perform identical in the field on game.  They yield the same results to kill game at that distance.  Now then you want to kill game out at a 1000yds, you BETTER BE A MARKSMAN, lots of people talk  few produce.  If you are not you risk wounding or missing.  At 1000yds you have a very small vital zone in order for the power left in the round to effectively do its job.

When you add all these conditions up you get a gun that COSTS MORE.  A LOT MORE.  

When you stay in your average redneck wheelhouse, 300 yards, the 6.8 performs the same, the GOOD components are cheaper, and in my location each box of Hornady ammo on the shelf is a dollar cheaper for 6.8 vs 6.5.  That is assuming there is any 6.5 in stock, because in my area it rarely is.  

Good on you if 6.5 is your cup of tea.  It is a great cartridge for those that want and can press it.  Otherwise, if you can't, it's all just talking points.

If I want to kill game out to 1000yds it will not be with anything out of an AR-15 chassis.  I never said a thing about long distance.  I don't see either a 6.5 or 6.8 being terribly effective on a deer or antelope at that range and I would like to think as a hunter I could get closer than that.
I   agree.  I am guilty of mixing and matching you of those who have provided previous arguments for the 6.5.

None the less using your current argument, if I want to kill medium sized game out to 400 yards ethically, the 6.5 nor the 6.8 are my choice.  300 yards is pushing it.  
You can blow the lungs out of a deer at 300 with either cartridge and it will still run a substancial distance, compared to what my .30-06 or .300 winmag does.

300 winmag is pretty light for medium sized game at 300 yards. On the smaller size at that distance I want a 300 norma and prefer a 338 lapua. If you blow the lungs out of any animal its dead, caliber is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
300 winmag is pretty light for medium sized game at 300 yards. On the smaller size at that distance I want a 300 norma and prefer a 338 lapua.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Keep   preaching that.  I have addressed this already.  You want to kill game at long distances with a 6.5 go ahead.  You need to be very proficient to get anymore hunting use out of a 6.5 at distance.  
Inside 300 yards the cartridges perform identical in the field on game.  They yield the same results to kill game at that distance.  Now then you want to kill game out at a 1000yds, you BETTER BE A MARKSMAN, lots of people talk  few produce.  If you are not you risk wounding or missing.  At 1000yds you have a very small vital zone in order for the power left in the round to effectively do its job.
When you add all these conditions up you get a gun that COSTS MORE.  A LOT MORE.  
When you stay in your average redneck wheelhouse, 300 yards, the 6.8 performs the same, the GOOD components are cheaper, and in my location each box of Hornady ammo on the shelf is a dollar cheaper for 6.8 vs 6.5.  That is assuming there is any 6.5 in stock, because in my area it rarely is.  
Good on you if 6.5 is your cup of tea.  It is a great cartridge for those that want and can press it.  Otherwise, if you can't, it's all just talking points.

If I want to kill game out to 1000yds it will not be with anything out of an AR-15 chassis.  I never said a thing about long distance.  I don't see either a 6.5 or 6.8 being terribly effective on a deer or antelope at that range and I would like to think as a hunter I could get closer than that.

300 winmag is pretty light for medium sized game at 300 yards. On the smaller size at that distance I want a 300 norma and prefer a 338 lapua.
OK,

so by your standards 6.5 and 6.8 are even a consideration.  Different strokes.  No arguments here.  We all like different things.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

My 18" barrel produces 2550fps with factory Hornady 123gr sst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is so great about it that should make it more popular?

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag53/MSUbulldog21/Guns/4F713294-FCD1-4DE2-B5DF-377CB1915BEA_zpsdlvr98t5.png

My 18" barrel produces 2550fps with factory Hornady 123gr sst.

That would alter my numbers to 417" drop/101" drift
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Huh?

Works great in mine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because it sucks in an AR, maybe?

Huh?

Works great in mine.

It doesn't appear that this fella knows much about ballistic coefficient
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK,    so by your standards 6.5 and 6.8 are even a consideration.  Different strokes.  No arguments here.  We all like different things.
View Quote

I was joking. I killed a antelope last year at 419 with my 7mm-08 and it punched out the other side. I would have felt completely confident making the same shot with a grendel. Im going on a doe depredation hunt next week with the grendel so well see how that plays out.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I was joking. I killed a antelope last year at 419 with my 7mm-08 and it punched out the other side. I would have felt completely confident making the same shot with a grendel. Im going on a doe depredation hunt next week with the grendel so well see how that plays out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

OK,    so by your standards 6.5 and 6.8 are even a consideration.  Different strokes.  No arguments here.  We all like different things.

Who

am I to tell you that you are wrong...

*good luck
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted: Cool. Glad it is working out for you.  Now let's think about it.  Good ammo is more than the 6.8.  Not every barrel is equal. You want to take FULL advantage of your 6.5....say shoot 1000yds someday??   You aren't getting there on $120 barrel!  If you aren't building it to take advantage of all THE AMAZING BRAGGING POINTS, the what is the point???

400yds being max.

I am mulling building one for my GF as I don't think she would enjoy shooting my 30-06 or something similar.

Can only hunt deer in Iowa with shotguns or muzzleloaders so it it would really only come into play if we go out of state unless they bring back our late doe anything goes season (I want .24+ in case they do because that was a stipulation the last time we had it)
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

400yds being max.

I am mulling building one for my GF as I don't think she would enjoy shooting my 30-06 or something similar.

Can only hunt deer in Iowa with shotguns or muzzleloaders so it it would really only come into play if we go out of state unless they bring back our late doe anything goes season (I want .24+ in case they do because that was a stipulation the last time we had it)
View Quote

pictures when done.  I am interested in seeing.  I can't speak highly enough of JP supermatch barrels.  But you pay for them.  Good luck with it.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:49:04 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would consider a couple of bucks difference in the price of a box of ammo as a talking point as well. I'm not going to save pennies to forego dollars worth of performance.

If you can choose between a round that does great inside 300 and ok beyond 300 or a round that does great inside 300 and good beyond 300.....Why not get the extra performance even if you rarely or never use it?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:54:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Cool. Glad it is working out for you.  Now let's think about it.  Good ammo is more than the 6.8.  Not every barrel is equal. You want to take FULL advantage of your 6.5....say shoot 1000yds someday??   You aren't getting there on $120 barrel!  If you aren't building it to take advantage of all THE AMAZING BRAGGING POINTS, the what is the point???

I've had Shaw barrels.  Not bad, not great.  I haven't seen a 1000yd $120 Shaw barrel yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On a board where logic trumps all and emotion is a liberal thing to be set aside, "Inventor was mean" is apparently an important factor in choosing a caliber.
That's not the bottom line.  The bottom line was access.  His limiting access, limited proliferation of the caliber. When the only source has out of this world cost factor kind of hard to catch on.  

It has some traction now.   Still costs more than 6.8.

I dont see it costing more than 6.8.  JT had some Shaw barrels on sale for $120, bolt for $50.  I don't have any more than any other ar in my Grendel even with a carbon fiber ffhg. I've shot several deer out to 275 with it.   Good medicine on yotes too.   this was Sunday.  Local lgs even carries Hornady sst which cost the same as any other hunting ammo.  For deer and big game, pretty much best compromise in an ar sized platform.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img921/8996/Vy2sAF.jpg
Cool. Glad it is working out for you.  Now let's think about it.  Good ammo is more than the 6.8.  Not every barrel is equal. You want to take FULL advantage of your 6.5....say shoot 1000yds someday??   You aren't getting there on $120 barrel!  If you aren't building it to take advantage of all THE AMAZING BRAGGING POINTS, the what is the point???

I've had Shaw barrels.  Not bad, not great.  I haven't seen a 1000yd $120 Shaw barrel yet.

I got second round hits on 20x20 steel at 500 and 900 with the steel cased wolf and a lightweight barrel I got second hand for $120...
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:54:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Is 6.5 CM in the same ball park?  I see a huge fan boi in my AO with a huge sticker of an AR across his back window and a 6.5 inside..sticker above it. Odd.
View Quote

I think:
For the same bullet and barrel, the Creedmoor will match the Grendel velocity/energy 150 yards further.

So if the Grendel gives you the energy you want at 150 yards like to punch through a giant elk or something, the CM matches it at 300 yards.  Big difference.
If you're happy with what the Grendel does at 1100 yards like make it to a steel target and go clunk, the CM extends that to 1250 yards.  Not a big difference IMO.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I would consider a couple of bucks difference in the price of a box of ammo as a talking point as well. I'm not going to save pennies to forego dollars worth of performance.

If you can choose between a round that does great inside 300 and ok beyond 300 or a round that does great inside 300 and good beyond 300.....Why not get the extra performance even if you rarely or never use it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's

not in the box of ammo but that to adds up.  And the ammo performance is theoretically the same.  120gr sst hornady vs 123gr sst hornady.  The 6.5 is $1 a box more.  OK not much but a real fact not a talking point that is subjective.  

Now talk barrels, you are gonna pay for a 1000yd barrel.  

Now talking points....how well do you actually shoot.  There are some real shooters on arfcom.  There are some real turds who like to talk crap too.  No reflection on you, I don't know you.

The guys in my area, way more talkers than shooters.  A 1000yd shot on a game animal, is bit more than taking your 3-9x40 Leupold out on your 6.5 with some wolf ammo.  Again no reflection on you or anybody here on arfcom, all reflection on the morons in my area who read this crap and think they are ready for their own TV show.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I got second round hits on 20x20 steel at 500 and 900 with the steel cased wolf and a lightweight barrel I got second hand for $120...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

On a board where logic trumps all and emotion is a liberal thing to be set aside, "Inventor was mean" is apparently an important factor in choosing a caliber.
That's not the bottom line.  The bottom line was access.  His limiting access, limited proliferation of the caliber. When the only source has out of this world cost factor kind of hard to catch on.  

It has some traction now.   Still costs more than 6.8.

I dont see it costing more than 6.8.  JT had some Shaw barrels on sale for $120, bolt for $50.  I don't have any more than any other ar in my Grendel even with a carbon fiber ffhg. I've shot several deer out to 275 with it.   Good medicine on yotes too.   this was Sunday.  Local lgs even carries Hornady sst which cost the same as any other hunting ammo.  For deer and big game, pretty much best compromise in an ar sized platform.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img921/8996/Vy2sAF.jpg

Cool,

I shot 6moa with WOLF 6.5 from the same gun that shot the groups I posted previously.  One offs happen. and that is truth

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Getting that long bullet to fit in an AR mag requires deep seating, which kills your case capacity.  You would also have poor bullet retention as the case mouth is on the ogive, bullet setback issues are practically guaranteed.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/spc68vgrendel65.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Faxon won't do anything but group buys and BA hasn't been quick to market
I think Faxon will probably start offering them as regular items soon.  As the market slows they'll have time to expand their product line.

Faxon is in my neck of the woods and I've had them do work for me before.

I don't think they do anything quickly. They do very nice work, though...when they get around to it.

Full disclosure: I'm a little fish and they were more doing me a favor to do a couple one offs. Even at what they charged, it's not much worth their time.

On the Grendel: In MHO, the AR bolt is not large enough for that size of case head. There's just not enough meat on the lugs for the margin of safety I'd like.

Of course they get them to work. But you're a lot closer to the edge that I care to be.

6.8 doesn't have the bolt issues that the 6.5G and the 7.62x39 that it's based off of have.  I wonder how well a wildcat based on a 6.8 necked down to 6.5 would work?  You side step the bolt issues and gain the advantage of using the high BC 6.5 projectiles.

Getting that long bullet to fit in an AR mag requires deep seating, which kills your case capacity.  You would also have poor bullet retention as the case mouth is on the ogive, bullet setback issues are practically guaranteed.

http://airbornecombatengineer.typepad.com/photos/weapons_fireams/spc68vgrendel65.jpg

If I put a bullet with a similar BC in the 6.8, it would look worse.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cool,    I shot 6moa with WOLF 6.5 from the same gun that shot the groups I posted previously.  One offs happen. and that is truth

View Quote

Yep. I can't explain it, but if you tell me to "Hit that" I usually hit it. If you tell me "Shoot a group at that range", it'll be ugly.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:07:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You and your heavy bullets.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag53/MSUbulldog21/Guns/4F713294-FCD1-4DE2-B5DF-377CB1915BEA_zpsdlvr98t5.png

Worse than I thought only supersonic to 900yards.

I'll be generous and give it a 123 Amax and 2500fps

@1k in standard conditions 437" drop and  104.1" wind drift(spin d off)

With my 90smk load at 2568fps in the same conditions 413" drop and 103.8 wind drift(spin d off).

Just doesn't seem that great, my load will work in any standard 7 twist rifle plus or minus some seating depth.

I'm not saying it is a bad round, it just seems hyped up a bit.

Lol, can you get 6.5 Grendel barrels  in 1:7.5" twist so I can run 140 Hybrids?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep. I can't explain it, but if you tell me to "Hit that" I usually hit it. If you tell me "Shoot a group at that range", it'll be ugly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool,    I shot 6moa with WOLF 6.5 from the same gun that shot the groups I posted previously.  One offs happen. and that is truth

I think we might have a correlation here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With my 90smk load at 2568fps in the same conditions 413" drop and 103.8 wind drift(spin d off).

Just doesn't seem that great, my load will work in any standard 7 twist rifle plus or minus some seating depth.

An 8.5 twist will stabilize those. BTDT.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:08:34 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It's   not in the box of ammo but that to adds up.  And the ammo performance is theoretically the same.  120gr sst hornady vs 123gr sst hornady.  The 6.5 is $1 a box more.  OK not much but a real fact not a talking point that is subjective.  

Now talking points....how well do you actually shoot.  There are some real shooters on arfcom.  There are some real turds who like to talk crap too.  No reflection on you, I don't know you.

The guys in my area, way more talkers than shooters.  A 1000yd shot on a game animal, is bit more than taking your 3-9x40 Leupold out on your 6.5 with some wolf ammo.  Again no reflection on you or anybody here on arfcom, all reflection on the morons in my area who read this crap and think they are ready for their own TV show.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's   not in the box of ammo but that to adds up.  And the ammo performance is theoretically the same.  120gr sst hornady vs 123gr sst hornady.  The 6.5 is $1 a box more.  OK not much but a real fact not a talking point that is subjective.  

Oh I understand. I tend to wrinkle my eyebrows at anyone taking shots much beyond 500 on game. Its just not worth the risk to the animal. Even really really good shooters can make the smallest of mistakes at that range and end up with a wounded animal they wont be able to get to or find. As the saying goes, just because you can do something doesnt mean you necessarily should.

But even as a talker, why not own the caliber that has the legs to go bang steel at 1000 if you want? You can pick up a barrel that can let you have fun at 1000 for a reasonable price. I mean if you want a full monty benchrest rig yeah you're going to pay handsomely, but you can pick up a middle of the road barrel and decent ammo and still go bang steel at range (Or try, depending on your abilities)

As for my personal shooting ability. I'd say probably average. I've shot out to 600 but havent had the chance to go further. I really *really* want to though.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, yes.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I also only need to hit once to feel successful if I'm not shooting paper.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:15:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and:
Shoot a pop can at 100 yards.  Bang!  Sploosh!  "I'm the man Yeah!"
Shoot paper at 100 yards, group is 2" x 4". "Let's not tell AR15 that we went shooting today"
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Oh I understand. I tend to wrinkle my eyebrows at anyone taking shots much beyond 500 on game. Its just not worth the risk to the animal. Even really really good shooters can make the smallest of mistakes at that range and end up with a wounded animal they wont be able to get to or find. As the saying goes, just because you can do something doesnt mean you necessarily should.

But even as a talker, why not own the caliber that has the legs to go bang steel at 1000 if you want? You can pick up a barrel that can let you have fun at 1000 for a reasonable price. I mean if you want a full monty benchrest rig yeah you're going to pay handsomely, but you can pick up a middle of the road barrel and decent ammo and still go bang steel at range (Or try, depending on your abilities)

As for my personal shooting ability. I'd say probably average. I've shot out to 600 but havent had the chance to go further. I really *really* want to though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And

this has pretty much been my point the entire time.  Just be genuine with reasoning.  I just want it, I plan to shoot 1000yd steel.  But when somebody says I plan to shoot 1000yd steel and oh yea I can also buy cheap wolf ammo, well no that's not genuine.

The 6.8, which I had first, and all the powder and dies I had first, works well for me.  The 6.5 was more gun than I needed, the extra cost of such wasn't a wise investment.  I don't have the 6.5 and they guy who owns it, is thrilled.  Or was, he has since moved on to 6.5 CM.  That guy is also a fad guy.  Not that the grendel is a fad, but he spends money to be cool.  I like him he is a good guy, he has had some cool toy.  His business.

My genuiness, is bubba doesn't need the added expense of a true 1000 yd grendel when a 300 yd much cheaper 6.8 fits his needs.  He, however, can decide what he wants.  Just know real talk from talking points.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
That and:

Shoot paper at 100 yards, group is 2" x 4". "Let's not tell AR15 that we went shooting today"
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That and:

I

busted a Dr. Pepper can with my XD 4" 45 at 60 yards.  I go to the range and shoot   at 7 and 15 yards....WHY??
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That and:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and:

I lose alot of those targets walking back to the bench "whoops, wind caught that one, its gone forever"
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That and:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and:

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#27]
The difference between the Grendel, and .264 LBC is that the LBC's neck is 5 thousandths smaller.  Both rounds are interchangeable.  The 6.8 and Grendel start 123 grain bullets at about the same velocity, but the 6.5 bullet remains supersonic much farther than the 6.8.  

Alexander let the licensing requirement lapse, but it seems that the 6.8 round has grabbed much of the attention, and with the 300 blackout, there just isn't much room left for the Grendel.  Having a requirement for special magazines also hurt the Grendel.  I ha owned four grendels, and I think it is a terrific cartridge.  If the company that makes the Mutant AR rifle would combine it's larger bolt and barrel extension into a Grendel, that might help, but using the standard AR uppers is a big benefit too.  

Early bolt breakage was an issue that was solved with improved metallurgy, and with trying the faces of upper receivers.  The vast majority of forged receivers are not square with the bolt carrier path.  This is not an issue with the 5.56 round, but a square receiver evens out pressure on bolt lugs.  Since I tried my pushers, and bought a new bolt, I have several thousands of rounds without any issues.

For practical rifle matches, the Grendel is hard to beat.  It bucks wind far better than the 5.56, has drop close to a 300 WM, recoils about 20% more than a 5.56, and hits steel plates at 600-700 yards much, MUCH harder than any 5.56 round, so it is easier to tell you have hit your target.  

I think it is a great round.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Now I'm interested. Berger recommends no slower than 1:7.75" for my worst case conditions.

What kind of MV can one expect from the 140hyb 2450or so?

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Alexander is an ass.

View Quote

My experiences over the years is the exact opposite.

Have known him personally for a long time, and I heard this claim before ever meeting.

Unfortunately, I let it color my impression of him for a while without verifying.

It was unfounded and cost me lessons learned that could have been learned sooner.

As to the popularity of 6.5 Grendel.  It is very popular.

Noveske said they plan on making barrels for it soon.

There are 37 or 38 factory loads for it last count from various sources, to include AA, Hornady, Federal, Wolf, and Precision Firearms.

AA, JP, Les Baer, J&T, Precision Firearms, MGI, Odin Works, and several other companies make complete rifles, uppers, and barrels.

Criterion, Lilja, Faxon, Shilen, Satern, Liberty, Krieger, and other barrel makers make drop-in barrels for it.

Mags have been plentiful for many years now from Cproducts, ASC, and AA.

There isn't another factory cartridge for the AR15 that can do what it does.

OP's premise that it isn't popular doesn't reflect the market.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:39:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
You can thank Bill Alexander for fucking over his own brainchild.

It's a wonderful cartridge though.
View Quote

100% false.

You can thank Bill Alexander for protecting the cartridge from de-tuning from people who think they can make it better.

He spent over $10,000 on different reamer designs alone when experimenting with it, trying to find a chamber that would shoot both secant and tangent ogive projectiles.

Hornady took it to SAAMI much earlier than expected, which is a good thing for ammo and chamber standardization-the goal all along.

Before that, small shops didn't like the idea of licensing reamers from AA, since they wanted to call up a quick reamer maker and get what they wanted now, regardless of whether it fit factory ammo or not.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Have known him personally for a long time, and I heard this claim before ever meeting.

Unfortunately, I let it color my impression of him for a while with verifying.

It was unfounded and cost me lessons learned that could have been learned sooner.

There are 37 or 38 factory loads for it last count from various sources, to include AA, Hornady, Federal, Wolf, and Precision Firearms.

AA, JP, Les Baer, J&T, Precision Firearms, MGI, Odin Works, and several other companies make complete rifles, uppers, and barrels.

Criterion, Lilja, Faxon, Shilen, Satern, Liberty, Krieger, and other barrel makers make drop-in barrels for it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alexander is an ass.

So mags, barrel and bolt  are all that is required to convert from a .223?
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Didn't they have issues breaking bolts?  Something about too much material being removed to accommodate the case?
View Quote

After market vendors like M&A guns show grade parts using worthless "7.62x39" bolts that wouldn't last a few hundred rounds in their interpretation of what they thought 6.5 Grendel is, sold as "6.5 Sporter" and other names accounts for a lot of that.

Real 6.5 Grendel bolts are made from a much better alloy than 99% of 5.56 bolts, totally engineered from the ground up to be 6.5 Grendel bolts.

You can't make a Grendel bolt from a 5.56 bolt.

It's longer, and has critical dimensions in places that are impossible to form from 5.56 bolts.

I've only broken 5.56 bolts in my experiences over the years.

I have never broken 6.5 Grendel bolts, and I shoot thousands of rounds a year, while shooting next to others with 6.5 Grendel who shoot high volume as well.

I take them through my DM and precision rifle courses throughout the year, and attend competitions and training events where they are present.

I have yet to see it.  

I've seen plenty of reports of after-market imitation bolts breaking.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Your lips to god's ear. The 6.5grendel forum 20" group buy is going NOWHERE
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think Faxon will probably start offering them as regular items soon.  As the market slows they'll have time to expand their product line.

Your lips to god's ear. The 6.5grendel forum 20" group buy is going NOWHERE

Got a link for that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
6.8 doesn't have the bolt issues that the 6.5G and the 7.62x39 that it's based off of have.  I wonder how well a wildcat based on a 6.8 necked down to 6.5 would work?  You side step the bolt issues and gain the advantage of using the high BC 6.5 projectiles.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Faxon is in my neck of the woods and I've had them do work for me before.

I don't think they do anything quickly. They do very nice work, though...when they get around to it.

Full disclosure: I'm a little fish and they were more doing me a favor to do a couple one offs. Even at what they charged, it's not much worth their time.

On the Grendel: In MHO, the AR bolt is not large enough for that size of case head. There's just not enough meat on the lugs for the margin of safety I'd like.

Of course they get them to work. But you're a lot closer to the edge that I care to be.

A vendor who can not be named here has done that.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can thank Bill Alexander for fucking over his own brainchild.

??

When you threaten everyone else in the gun industry with lawsuits because they are trying to ream barrels for a new cartridge and then putting off SAAMI testing.............for years.

He hamstrung it for years. That's why you have a few names for the same cartridge, because Bill Alexander is an asshole. Like 264. LBC is, essentially 6.5 Grendel.

To the other guy, yes, it was having issues breaking bolts. Same issues with the 7.62x39 bolts.

The original arrangement was to license reamers to anyone who wanted them before SAAMI approval so that "gunsmiths" wouldn't de-tune all the work put into 6.5 Grendel RDT&E.

Postponing SAAMI testing?

SAAMI testing happened fast with 6.5 Grendel, and was approved quickly because of how well the design was ironed out.

You need a large industry manufacturer to take a cartridge to SAAMI.  The metallurgy on the brass, chamber dimensions in places you've never heard of, throat, bore, lands, grooves, working pressure/MAP, MPLM, MPSM, and many aspects of the design have to be worked out.

A small shop can't approach SAAMI with any degree of success, because SAAMI would be bogged down with every wildcat imaginable then.  Not going to happen.

Research more before posting.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alexander is an ass.

Correct.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alexander is an ass.

Yes.

Edit: beat. I guess you don't have to have the mags if you only plan on loading a couple rounds at a time, but that sort of defeats the purpose of the grendel in the first place which was to get a cartridge that would fit in an ar15 sized magazine.  They are under $20ea anyway.  AA is running a special on them right now too.  5 mags for $85.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:51:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Thanks Bill Alexander!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really think it is because it hasn't been fully standardized yet. One company starts using terms like type I and type II bolts, others will call it 6.5 grendel and then use the modern 7.62x39 bolt variants, still others use the older colt 7.62x39 bolt style from the early 90's. This has made going towards 6.5 kind of intimidating to some people and left everything more confusing than it needs to be.

Thanks Bill Alexander!

More ignorance.

Bill Alexander has maintained a standard.  What the rest of the industry does trying to deviate from that standard is outside of his control.

Some of you really should think twice about posting before showing how ignorant you are about how this all works, really.

This site needs a gun IQ rating next to each member.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:51:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Bill Alexander has a patent on the cartridge and you basically have to jump through is hoops to get licensed to build barrels for it. Hence the low number of manufactures.

Le Baer came out with the .264LBC which from what I understand is the same thing as the 6.5 Grendel with a few minor tweeks to the case dimensions to get around the patent. From what I've read the two are close enough to be interchangeable.
View Quote

No....sigh
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Now I'm interested. Berger recommends no slower than 1:7.75" for my worst case conditions.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's been awhile, but they were pretty slow.

ETA: You might see 2400 out of a 24" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

More ignorance.

Bill Alexander has maintained a standard.  What the rest of the industry does trying to deviate from that standard is outside of his control.

Some of you really should think twice about posting before showing how ignorant you are about how this all works, really.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I really think it is because it hasn't been fully standardized yet. One company starts using terms like type I and type II bolts, others will call it 6.5 grendel and then use the modern 7.62x39 bolt variants, still others use the older colt 7.62x39 bolt style from the early 90's. This has made going towards 6.5 kind of intimidating to some people and left everything more confusing than it needs to be.

Thanks Bill Alexander!

More ignorance.

Dibs on mine being 0.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 1:56:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You get better than .308 ballistics from the AR15 in many respects, with none of the .308 penalties when looking at weight, recoil, and rifle size.

Impact energy on target is very close to .308, to the point that people will look over at you at the range and wonder what is going on with that little AR15 spanking the steel so hard.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:00:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I think:
For the same bullet and barrel, the Creedmoor will match the Grendel velocity/energy 150 yards further.

So if the Grendel gives you the energy you want at 150 yards like to punch through a giant elk or something, the CM matches it at 300 yards.  Big difference.
If you're happy with what the Grendel does at 1100 yards like make it to a steel target and go clunk, the CM extends that to 1250 yards.  Not a big difference IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is 6.5 CM in the same ball park?  I see a huge fan boi in my AO with a huge sticker of an AR across his back window and a 6.5 inside..sticker above it. Odd.

I think:

I own two Grendels and two Creedmoors, I'd say that your a little conservative in your yardage estimates.  I'll see if I can post some charts in a little while, but if you want to compare it the way you are (which really seems like a good way to compare it, I like that idea quite a bit) then it's going to be more like 350+yds.

Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:02:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've wondered the original question also.

The whole thing doesn't make sense.  The inventor thinking that he's going to own the world with his idea, that does make sense. Taking too long to market. 6.8 was way ahead there. You can even buy pmags for them....

I've never heard of the lawsuit talk before. But that makes perfect sense too. Promising litigation is a great way to demotivate an industry to build on the idea. I asked a manufacturer once about doing a grendel. They just laughed sarcastically and said no thanks like I was an idiot. Now I know why.

It's too bad. It has all the makings anyone could want. Mag length, common components, high BC, and a wolf load available.

Anyone who threatens to sue people for just about anything outside of collections usually suck. Sometimes it's valid, and needed. But usually, your just a whinny dick. To me that automatically puts you in the asshole category.
View Quote

Don't believe everything you read on the internet, especially with most of what has been said in this thread.

I heard it all back in the 2005-2008 timeframe as well.

Most of it came from the 6.8 crowd after the Blackwater Shoot in 2004, where the 6.5 Grendel penetrated auto glass at 500m and the 6.8 guys picked up their rifles and refused to do the shoot.

They were introduced at the same time.

One was marketed as the next Special Forces cartridge, with a lot of hype created between dealers and distributors at the height of the GWOT, and people believed it.

The other advertised itself with performance and serious industry support, rather than a rush to production from Remington, which was a complete abortion.

AA prevented the de-stadardization that the market likes to do by licensing reamers to anyone that wanted to make 6.5 Grendel, and supplied bolts and magazines too.

There was no effort to keep it limited.  It was to protect the customer from people who don't know how to design and build new cartridges.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I own two Grendels and two Creedmoors, I'd say that your a little conservative in your yardage estimates.  I'll see if I can post some charts in a little while, but if you want to compare it the way you are (which really seems like a good way to compare it, I like that idea quite a bit) then it's going to be more like 350+yds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think:

The Grendel and Creedmoor are in two different classes.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:04:44 PM EDT
[#46]
I have read so many of these threads.  It really does not matter to me what anyone else likes or why.  I have both the 264lbc ar and a 6.5 grendel.   They all shoot the same.  Very accurate and low recoil.  Why did I choose the 6.5?  Don't really know.   It just intrigued me for some reason.  For what I do the 6.8 would have done just as well 95% of the time.  I do know that when shooting 4" gongs at 200 yds it almost becomes boring.  My range only goes out to 200 so I have not taken it beyond that.  

As far as I am concerned the 6.5g is very popular.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You get better than .308 ballistics from the AR15 in many respects, with none of the .308 penalties when looking at weight, recoil, and rifle size.

Impact energy on target is very close to .308, to the point that people will look over at you at the range and wonder what is going on with that little AR15 spanking the steel so hard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And with 10 to 15 less grains of powder
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It's supersonic at 1000 yds!!!

Only matters, realistically, ringing gongs.  Less drop at longer ranges.  Flat shooting round.  If you aren't ringing gongs at 1000yds. The 6.8 handles all your average hunting needs, for cheaper.

Plain, simple, and honest truth.  Some others will tell you different. They may have excellent points...for their advanced skill set.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's supersonic at 1000 yds!!!

Only matters, realistically, ringing gongs.  Less drop at longer ranges.  Flat shooting round.  If you aren't ringing gongs at 1000yds. The 6.8 handles all your average hunting needs, for cheaper.

Plain, simple, and honest truth.  Some others will tell you different. They may have excellent points...for their advanced skill set.

Nope.  6.5 Grendel hits harder on game animals at close range for the same reasons that it retains energy so well at distance.

Doesn't matter it it's from a short barrel or not, no special skills needed.

The average hunter who wants to slay white tail, pigs, and other medium game is better equipped with a 10.5" to 18" Grendel than a 6.8 SPC II.

Hit probability into the vitals is higher.  Impact speed is higher.  Expansion threshold is held longer, so more expansion with a longer ogive for expansion, plus a longer tail end of the bullet provides better terminal performance.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:05:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'm going to need 15 more people to go pay for some barrels.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?12700-Faxon-12-quot-6.5-Grendel-Group-Buy-155

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
currently waiting on the 12" from the group buy.
I'm going to need 15 more people to go pay for some barrels.

http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showthread.php?12700-Faxon-12-quot-6.5-Grendel-Group-Buy-155

I would be in for a 16" or 18"
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

he didn't want it to fail.

he wanted to be his and his alone and that no one else would be allowed to make anything to do with them.

worked for apple
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been really pleased with mine, but it does seem as though the inventor wanted it to fail.

he didn't want it to fail.

he wanted to be his and his alone and that no one else would be allowed to make anything to do with them.

worked for apple

You're on a really ignorant streak this week it seems.

Explain to us then why AA sold bolts, mags, and licensed reamers to anyone that wanted to make it before it was SAAMI-approved?

You can't, but since you read it on the internet and are going to double down on massive amounts of derp, you'll refuse to swallow pride, and continue with pure falsehoods.
Page / 129
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top