4.  far
View Quote
you ones.  ought.  tire.  fire.
[:D]
View Quote

What he said! BTW my stepdad thinks I drive a "Fode" truck [ROFL]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:06:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I talk to people all over the country, so sometimes I hear the accents that go along with the area.  The 'southern' accent most people will recognize will go as far south and west as about Alabama, and maybe into Mississippi, then goes all the way up to North Carolina.  Louisiana and Mississippi have their own kind of southern/cajun drawl.  Texans have more of the Southern, but it's a bit watered out.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Then he must be from the southside.  Talks kind of like Wood Button?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:21:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Define these words.

1.  yuns
2.  ort
3.  tar
4.  far
View Quote

1.  Plural of [i]you[/i]
2.  ought
3.  tire
4.  fire
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:22:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Then he must be from the southside.  Talks kind of like Wood Button?
View Quote

He's from Phenix VA and it took a while to understand what he was sayoing. The fact that he doesn't speak very fast compounded the problem. If you just stop and listen it'll most likely make sense, otherwise you'll get ahead of him and confuse yourself.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I love visiting the counties along the NC border.  It's like listening to a million Ward Burton (Wood Button) post-race interviews.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:03:09 AM EDT
[#12]
ever notice how 'ol wad button's accent is much, much worse than his brothers?
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
ever notice how 'ol wad button's accent is much, much worse than his brothers?
View Quote

That's because Ward's room was on the south side of the house and Jeff's was on the north side. [;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
In most of Louisiana it's

yaw

awt

tya

fya
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ah say "y'all".  Never said 'yuns'.  Never heard it until Jeff Foxworthy brought it to my attention.
View Quote

Believe it or not, I have never listened to Foxworthy.  But, I'm sure I've heard all of his material from the comedian wannabes.  The "...may be a redneck..." thing got old real quick for me.  I may have even been offended.  The funniest part of that is that the worst offenders were the ones that thought is was so great, and they were pointing fingers at everybody else.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Not sure if your version of "Southern App" is the same as mine.  I'm from the mountains of NC, and we never said "yuns."  It was always "ya'll." Everything else looks right.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:54:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Not sure if your version of "Southern App" is the same as mine.  I'm from the mountains of NC, and we never said "yuns."  It was always "ya'll." Everything else looks right.
View Quote

'Yuns' is Pittsburgese, also.

It's one of the local terms I loathe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:15:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Define these words.

1.  yuns
2.  ort
3.  tar
4.  far
View Quote

Don't recall ever hearing yuns in back in east Ky.  Ought comes out more like awght.  Tar and far are both dead on.  On a related note, in addition to tars your truck needs a good bat-tree too. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep, I forgot battree.  Caint forget your battree.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:11:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Being from Cleveland (north), I noticed it in Columbus (central) but it was mixed, some had it, some didn't.
We can imitate "them" but they can't imitate "us", so to speak.
View Quote

My kuy is piked in the yad.  [jump]
Belly up to the buy and have a pop.  [nana]
Maavin, get in the kuy! [ROFL2]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Define these words.

1.  yuns
2.  ort
3.  tar
4.  far
View Quote

It reaches into parts of Ohio, but gets mixed with what we call "Pennsyltuckey"

4= a fur piece " a long way"
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#22]
yew sumbitches woo'nt no no drawl if'n it bit ya n da ass...............[;)]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being from Cleveland (north), I noticed it in Columbus (central) but it was mixed, some had it, some didn't.
We can imitate "them" but they can't imitate "us", so to speak.
View Quote

My kuy is piked in the yad.  [jump]
Belly up to the buy and have a pop.  [nana]
Maavin, get in the kuy! [ROFL2]
View Quote

You's guys are killing me! [ROFL]
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yep, I forgot battree.  Caint forget your battree.
View Quote

I got a bat-tree so big I carry it in a WHEEL-BORRY.

By the way, Fode makes a good truck - unlike Dodge, it has a reliable TRAM-MISSION.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#25]
I lived in Texas for 12+ years and never picked up their drawl. It always sounded so foreign to me. I can mimic it pretty well though.

Not long ago I flew into Newark (from Texas). It was late at night and I decided stay at an airport hotel rather than drive late at night into CT. On entering the hotel I went directly to the front desk. It was about 10pm I think. I remember seeing an enormous black man standing there. Without even thinking about it I stated with a huge Texas drawl "How all y'all be doin' tanight?" He just about spit. Seeing he was struggling not to laugh at me, I maintained a straight face while he checked me in. The poor man. It was all I could do to contain my laughter until I got into the elevator.

It still makes me laugh! [rofl2]

TT
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Y'all yanks will laugh at my drawl one time and then..... [nuts] oh sorry TT you don't have a pair of.... Nevermind![:I]

Some friends of mine went to 'New York' for a week..... When they came back they had stories about how they 'Swooned All the Yankee Wimminz' with their 'Suth'ern Drawl'..... Said they went to a club one night, and at the bar the bartender asked were they where from.....'Florida'... One of the big haired ladies at the bar over heard them talking and they were soon overwhelmed with pale skinned yankee wimminz with big hair wanting to hear them talk!

'Course none of this went over to well with hairy knuckle Sal and the boys over in the corner of the club when they saw all their wimminz migrate over to hear a couple rednecks talk!

"Edith... get ovah hea!"
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:25:59 AM EDT
[#27]
hell, i've dated texas women that liked to hear me talk..............and for some reason i get progressively worse the more beer i have down me!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I talk to people all over the country, so sometimes I hear the accents that go along with the area.  The 'southern' accent most people will recognize will go as far south and west as about Alabama, and maybe into Mississippi, then goes all the way up to North Carolina.  Louisiana and Mississippi have their own kind of southern/cajun drawl.  Texans have more of the Southern, but it's a bit watered out.  

View Quote

That N.C. type accent is similiar to the South Eastern W.V. accent.  

Pretty strong around the Beckley, Welch, Pineville region.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#29]
i am from appalachia.

we ain't got no damn accent!

it's all you other folks that sound funny to us!

man, helldog and franksquid (new yawk/joisey boys) were the first to arrive at bulletfest. it was fun hearing their unique dialects of the english language. clevelanders sound faintly like new yorkers to me.

of all the accents i've encountered, i like hearing "southron" spoken aloud the best.

southern ohio speaks very much in line with those from kentucky, tenn. and the virginias.
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 11:32:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
i am from appalachia.

we ain't got no damn accent!

it's all you other folks that sound funny to us!

man, helldog and franksquid (new yawk/joisey boys) were the first to arrive at bulletfest. it was fun hearing their unique dialects of the english language. clevelanders sound faintly like new yorkers to me.

of all the accents i've encountered, i like hearing "southron" spoken aloud the best.

southern ohio speaks very much in line with those from kentucky, tenn. and the virginias.
View Quote

Depending on where in VA you're speaking of I'd beg to differ. Some places have some SERIOUS drawls. The Bahston accent drives me nuts and makes me wantto punch whomever has it. It's "data" NOT Day-tur Grrr.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top