Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Its great to have you back! Welcome home and thank you for putting your life on the line for us!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:01:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Glad you're home safe and sound!

Can't wait to hear the stories!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome home, thanks for doing your part for our country. Please do spend that quality time with the family they have missed you far more than us. But we do look forward to hearing all your stories.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
We haven't heard from "dissipator556" since 11:47:56 AM....

I think "Mrs. Dissipator" is [size=5]really[/size=5] glad to see him![;D]

Good to have you home!

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Welcome back!  Thank you for defending our country.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:09:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Welcome back.

Nice Job.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#7]
If it was me, the first thing I'd do is call like 30 people, go and [booze], then [sex], and then be proud to be American in the drunken happiness that I came home alive.
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Hey diss, Welcome Home Brother! Your nation is proud of you and so are we. Out-Fuc*ing-Standing to have you back!!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:43:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome back to civilization!
Thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Welcome home! Thank you for your service and sacrifice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:38:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Welcome home, And thanks for the damn fine job!
Yet another display of the finest fighting force in the world.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Welcome home Diss, thankyou for your work over there. Cant wait to hear the stories....

Rob
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:40:53 AM EDT
[#14]
... A big Welcome Home and a huge Thank You [b]dissipator556[/b]. We missed you.

:: Patiently awaiting your stories after you take care of "homecoming" biz ::
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Welcome home and thank you for serving.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:11:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Well done!!

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Where ya at dissipator556???
We're waiting patiently for you to tell us about your trip to iraq.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:05:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Welcome back!

Glad you made it safely.[^]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
 Hello everyone- it's great to be back on US soil again and in my own home.  

I'll write more later about my experiences during this war as an AAV gunner/crewchief.  

I have to go back to my family and friends now, and then start unpacking.  I picked up some very cool stuff from Iraq and Kuwait, like a republican guard flag and uniform, a baath party Iraqi flag, Iraqi gas masks, etc. etc.

I'll post again later this evening, after I spend some more (umhhmmfm) "quality" time with Mrs. Dissipator.  

-Diss
 PS- I can't wait to tell you guys about the awesome effectiveness of the .50 cal SLAP round and the quite diplomatic effects of HEDP... [:>)]      
View Quote

thanks for serving our country!
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow! three days and still no Diss? He must really be glad to be back home....bet he has one helluva hangover when next we hear from him.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:27:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Diss, we are ready for the debriefing now...........................[:D]

Take your time Diss, I'm sure you're just now getting over jet lag, getting some decent food and some......well, better left unsaid.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:29:39 AM EDT
[#23]
really, mrs. dissipator must need a break by now [;)]

thanks for your service, glad you made it back in one piece, glad you kicked some ass, cant wait to hear the stories..........
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#24]
 My first story of the war (I'll go in chronological order) happened in An Nazeria (sp).  As a key route on our way to Baghdad, the Army had supposedly "secured" the town.  What really happened is they rolled into the city, placed a relatively small security detail at the bridges, and then got over-run. (God bless the poor old Army)

Marines to the rescue...RCT2 (I believe) took 50 casualties the night before we arrived.  The casualty report was widely circulated amongst the Marines, and everyone was extremely anxious to avenge our fallen brothers.  This was, for me anyway, the turning point in the war, when I realized that the enemy was not going to be a push-over.  Also, the high casualties the first day highly pissed off every Marine in the 1st MEF...we seriously wanted to kick some major hagi ass at this point.

Many of us had expected smooth sailing all the way to Baghdad, as intel had said, but that was not to be the case, apparently.

We arrived in Nazeria at night, with me stationed in the turret of my AAV Rammer RS (think amphibious tank with a Bradley suspension).  We turned a corner onto a main street- what I saw was one of the most horrifying scenes of the war.  

My NVG's (the turret night sight was broken) were very clumsy and difficult to use in the tight confines of the turret.   I managed to use them by placing my head slightly outside the hatch (note to self: don't tell the wife and mom about that).  The alley/road that we had to traverse looked like a suicide mission- there was rocket fire everywhere, and tracers were lighting up the sky.  I took my NVG's off at this point, because it was so bright.  

At this point, our crazy ass CO comes over the radio (he is usually yelling), and says in a very calm, cold voice [b]"Marines...prepare...to...defend yourselves."[/b] We knew what that meant- rolling through the streets at 50 mph, ramming every little hagi cart, car, or bus that pulled out in front of us, and firing the UGWS (Up-Gunned Weapons Station, consisting of a M2 Browning .50 cal, and a 40mm MK19) until she ran dry.  

We drove straight into hell, balls to the walls, never stopping.  The SOP was, if the vehicle in front of you is hit, ram him and try to move him off of the road.  Thankfully, that was not necessary, and our platoon made it through unharmed- a genuine miracle.  The clatter of small-arms fire against the vehicle was scary as hell, as was the sound of RPG's whooshing over, in front of, and behind my vehicle.  

Whether I got any of them that night, I can't confirm, but 96 rounds of HEDP 40mm grenades (high-explosive-dual-purpose) and 400 rds of .50 cal (no SLAP used, all API) quenched more than one enemy muzzle-flash that night.

The next morning, my pig (aka "track" or vehicle) had sustained some minor small arms damage, mostly where it was not protected by the steel EAK armor (the rest of the vehicle is Aluminum).  

On the subject of my vehicle- we named her "Retard Strength," because she was big, ugly, only had one crooked headlight, but ran strong as an ox.  (Picture a big gorilla with a lazy eye) They couldn't kill old RS- she certainly was a tough old girl.  

Anyway, my vehicle was the lead vehicle in the lead section, in the lead platoon of the company.  Basically, this meant that my vehicle was the first to test the waters in each town- we called ourselves "The Royal Tasters."  If they shot at us, it wasn't a friendly town, and vice versa.  

That's it for tonight, friends, but I promise to tell another good war story again soon.  I wrote down everything, and getting to share this crazy stuff is therapeutic for me.  I'll do it again soon, now...back to Ms. Diss.

[naughty]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome back, thanks for serving, and thanks for posting about your experience.  I can't imagine what it was like.

I look forward to serving side-by-side with you Marines shortly, as I report to West Point in less than 100 hours.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Diss,
Welcome back. You folks did a helluva job over there.

BTW, even though you're a jarhead, I guess I can cut you some slack :)
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 4:18:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:26:52 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Welcome home, Great job.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:23:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:45:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Good work Diss. Glad you came back safe to you family.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Glad you made it home safe!
Welcome home!!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:19:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Welcome Home, Bro!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Welcome back!  Thanks to you and your family for your sacrifices!

You soldiers made us proud.  Thank you for your service.

Corey
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Welcome Home Diss.  Till your dying day, you can be proud that you got the job done.  
Out F-ing standing, brother, you got hard targets.  If I ever meet you at one of the shoots, I'll be in that long line to buy you a brew.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Welcome home Diss. Welcome home to those that lost their lives over their fighting for ours.

[USA] They should never be forgotten!!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 7:57:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 8:35:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Welcome back and thanks![usa]

Got pics???

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 9:57:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Welcome back, that was a great first story you posted.  Hope you can share more with us!
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:57:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally posted by : BillofRights
If I ever meet you at one of the shoots, I'll be in that long line to buy you a brew.
View Quote

What he said....

Nice story Diss, I cant wait for the next. I think digital cameras should be standard issue for soldiers. Welcome home bro, thankyou for putting yourself on the line for all of us...

Rob
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Welcome home Diss. Welcome home to those that lost their lives over their fighting for ours.

[USA] They should never be forgotten!!
View Quote

Let me take the time to now to do something I should have done much earlier: honor a Marine from my platoon, LCpl. Andy Aviles, who died with honor on the field of battle.  

Born in Brooklyn, NY in April, 1984, LCpl Aviles gave up a full scholarship at the University of FL to join the Marine Corps.  He had just checked into our unit one week before our deployment.  

Having only served with this young man for a short while, I can say that he was an outstanding Marine and an outstanding American- the kind of guy you want in your squad.  

LCpl Aviles' promising life was ended just 14 days short of his 19th birthday, when an Iraqi artillery shell hit his vehicle, instantly killing him and one other Marine onboard.  

His death was avenged hundreds of times over, and the wrath of his surviving platoon was felt for the remainder of our time in Iraq.  Still, all of that rage and destruction of evil will never bring him back to us.

I will never forget him; his platoon will never forget him; his Marine Corps family will never forget him, nor will we ever cease to honor his memory.  

LCpl. Aviles was buried at Arlington National Cemetery, with full military honors.  Semper Fidelis, LCpl. Aviles- you're the real hero in this Marine's book.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Salute to LCpl Aviles...may he never be forgotten!  

[USA]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#43]
welcome home my ARFCOM brother.

and,

THANK YOU for serving our country.

[usa]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#44]
 It really helps to talk about this stuff to others, even if I am only typing.  I often talk about this with the other Marines from my platoon, and I believe everyone should know about this young man who died.  Next time you drink a beer, please remember all the guys who aren't coming home.  

BTW, I promise to write a good war story tomorrow morning/afternoon.  Preview: 500 SLAP rounds, lots of HEDP and API, 3 armed Iraqi fanatics on a motorcycle, RPG's fired from porches and rooftops, etc.  Pictures are coming shortly (week or so).

As an aside, and without sounding corny, I would just like to say that killing those Iraqi/Fedayeen/Baath party/fanatic/terrorist/republican guard/crazy bastards was more gratifying than words can ever express- in light of 9/11, losing LCpl. Aviles, and everyone back home generally expecting us to kick some major ass.  See everyone tomorrow, goodnight.    

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Diss a couple great guys from my area of town were lost during the war. From what we hear from news and their family they were true Americans. One was even "honored" with citizenship after losing his life. Nothing a 19/20 year old should have to endure. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 5:17:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Thanks, really.

[beer]
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#47]
I makes me feel better knowing that
American deaths are being answered.

Thanks again

John
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
 Preview: 500 SLAP rounds, lots of HEDP and API, 3 armed Iraqi fanatics on a motorcycle, RPG's fired from porches and rooftops, etc.  Pictures are coming shortly (week or so).  

View Quote

I cannot wait.

hahaha
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:32:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Welcome back, and thanks.
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 1:04:49 AM EDT
[#50]
Welcome home bro! Thanks so much for busting your ass over there to keep our's safe over here. You guys did a great job and I am proud of each and every one of you.

-Charging Handle

PS, can't wait to hear the rest of your stories.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top