BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:40:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I simply don't buy into new rhetoric and pandering quite as easily as others. [red]Huh? [>:/] It doesn't matter if YOU "buy into it" - the SCOTUS did.[/red]

Apparently you've really bought into the white guilt liberal bullshit that has been flung. [red][ROFL2] Yeah, that's me. [ROFL][/red]

Whatever rational is in vogue to justify AA, it doesn't change the reality. I don't need to listen someone pay lip service to a new paradigm for justification of AA.
View Quote
And yet you STILL don't get it!

[b]YOU[/b] had better come up with a better line of attack when debating and opposing this crap 'cause you're using outdated weapons.

All the arguments against AA that used to be used are useless now.

The Liberals aren't talking about "leveling the playing field" anymore.

The SCOTUS decision wasn't based on "righting past wrongs".

The debate about AA has shifted to "diversity" and away from a "hand up" to oppressed victims of racism.

Get with the program and start attacking the "compelling interest" and "educational benefits of diversity" bullshit (in addition to the racism angle) because THAT'S what's driving this new push to force it on society.
BTW the playing field has never been levelled and never will be IMO.
View Quote
It's about "DIVERSITY!".

If underachieving minorities "enrich" the educational atmosphere by virtue of the diversity they create by being on campus - that's a compelling interest enough to keep them there. And it's up to the the school to bring them up to the level they should be at - not discard them for underperforming.

So says the new AA paradigm and so says the SCOTUS.

Fight the power.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/retard.htm.

"Black children of parents with graduate degrees have lower SAT scores than white children of parents with a high-school diploma or less. Black children from the wealthiest families have mean SAT scores lower than white children from families below the poverty line."

View Quote

FYI

[b]Not Found
The requested URL /retard.htm. was not found on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.26 Server at www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com Port 80[/b]
View Quote

The link works, drop the period at the end.

[url]http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/retard.htm[/url]

TT
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:00:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If underachieving minorities "enrich" the educational atmosphere by virtue of the diversity they create by being on campus - that's a compelling interest enough to keep them there. And it's up to the the school to bring them up to the level they should be at - not discard them for underperforming.

View Quote

Bottom Line: Attending an elite school that admits URMs with low gpas, SAT, MCAT or LSAT scores does nothing to enrich my education.

TT [coffee]

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#4]
OH - I get it now.  White people benefit from the "diversity", so EVERYONE should be happy about this (except for the smarter white kids that weren't accepted based on NOT being diverse enough - but that's just a small number compared to all the people that will benefit).

[rolleyes]

CR
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#5]
The leftist Supreme Court (with the likes of Thomas and Ginsberg) AA decision reflecting the rapid deterioration of the principles of industry and integrity that made this country great will be challenged in the marketplace.

Consumers, aware of the possible reduction in quality of minority professionals will shy away from them like the plague.

Wealthy benefactors of elite educational institutions will find other venues for their philanthropic tax break enabling donations.

And those minority students and applicants who are truly capable of succeeding on their own merits will forever be under the cloud of suspicion, caused by the lassitude of their own race.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Bush Affirmative Action Text

By The Associated Press

President Bush (news - web sites)'s statement on the Supreme Court's affirmative action decision Monday

___

I applaud the Supreme Court for recognizing the value of diversity on our nation's campuses. Diversity is one of America's greatest strengths. Today's
                     decisions seek a careful balance between the goal of campus diversity and the fundamental principle of equal treatment under the law.

My administration will continue to promote policies that expand educational opportunities for Americans from all racial, ethnic and economic backgrounds.
                     There are innovative and proven ways for colleges and universities to reflect our diversity without using racial quotas. The court has made clear that
                     colleges and universities must engage in a serious, good faith consideration of workable race-neutral alternatives. I agree that we must look first to these
                     race-neutral approaches to make campuses more welcoming for all students.

Race is a reality in American life. Yet like the court, I look forward to the day when America will truly be a colorblind society. My administration will continue
                     to work toward this important goal.

This is the President's view...head of the Republican Party's view...
Gee I wonder what their take on the AW ban will be eh?
wouldnt be selling them too cheaply just yet
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Preface: The worst Republican is better than the best Democrat.

That said, the only reason that yahoo (who I voted for) got into Yale was through their legacy policy. Once there, he received all "C"s.

I can understand his agreement with unfair admissions policies since he is a product of them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Clarence Thomas is no coward!! [:D]
Did you see him at his confirmation hearings, when he responded to the charges?? He spoke about a "High tech Lynching"?? I have NEVER seen anyone so angry in such a setting! I mean, Justice Thomas, is a Blacks, Black, but his face definately had a red tinge to it. I could see smoke rising off him!! [:D]

He gave many people in our country a well deserved  reaming! [snoopy]

He also voted against this decision. [b]Justice[/b] Clarence Thomas, is no coward, he is a courageous AMERICAN!!
View Quote

I'll second that!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Simple answer to this fellows, namely;  we are all african americans, and we are all partly descended from those of black skin heritage.

ALl humans came out of the southern tip of Africa at one time, so the simple thing to do would be put down African American as your heritage.

It wouldn't be lieing, and anyone who wishes to dispute you would have to take on the entire establised body of knowledge in the anthropology field.

Get to it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:28:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FYI

[b]Not Found

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Quote

Worked for me.

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 11:42:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to know what prevents some guy who is as white as the driven snow from checking the box marked "black" as his race?
View Quote
Honor. Integrity. Honesty.

You know... the [u]"little things"[/u] that show a person's character which obviously have no place beside more important aspects like skin color in deciding who should be admitted to the University. [rolleyes]

I've seen plenty of college and job applications, but I just don't know if I could deny my own race and lie on an application just to get past the school quota system.

In the end, if I were accepted based on that ploy - it would have meant that I cheated my way in (even though it was cheating in an already unfair system).

It would be a tough call to make. But I could see the reasoning behind doing it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to know what prevents some guy who is as white as the driven snow from checking the box marked "black" as his race?
View Quote
Honor. Integrity. Honesty.

You know... the [u]"little things"[/u] that show a person's character which obviously have no place beside more important aspects like skin color in deciding who should be admitted to the University. [rolleyes]

I've seen plenty of college and job applications, but I just don't know if I could deny my own race and lie on an application just to get past the school quota system.

In the end, if I were accepted based on that ploy - it would have meant that I cheated my way in (even though it was cheating in an already unfair system).

It would be a tough call to make. But I could see the reasoning behind doing it.
View Quote

No actually you *are* African American, in some small or large part, all human beings are.

What really counts is what percentage is neccesary to allow you to use the benefit?

50% black?  1% black?  .001% black?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:30:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No actually you *are* African American, in some small or large part, all human beings are.
View Quote
Rationalizing. But I understand your  cynicism.

What really counts is what percentage is neccesary to allow you to use the benefit?

50% black?  1% black?  .001% black?
View Quote
It's interesting that the US Gov't subscribes to the "one-drop" rule - that if there's ANY minority heritage mixed with white heritage in a person - that person is counted as the minority.
OMB Bulletin No. 00-02 [url=http://www.whitehouse.gov/omb/inforeg/r&e_app-b-update.pdf]pdf version[/url]

"Guidance on Aggregation and Allocation of Data on Race for Use in Civil Rights Monitoring and Enforcement."
Page 4...

"Federal agencies will use the following rules to allocate multiple race responses [on the 2000 US Census] for use in civil rights monitoring and enforcement:

[red]"Responses that combine one minority race and white are allocated to the minority race"[/red]
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:37:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Rationalizing. But I understand your  cynicism.
View Quote

No cynicism at all, just a few anthropology course in college and a few sociology course in grad school.

Remember where the first humans are from?   Remember how all of us are related to them, genetically?

We are all from africa, some just took longer to leave than others.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI

[b]Not Found

View Quote

Worked for me.

View Quote

is this link "work safe"?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Worked for me.

View Quote

is this link "work safe"?
View Quote

I would say so, yes. In fact, check out the home page, it's an interesting site..

Thanks TT!
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Could it be [s]there[/s] they're just thinking ahead?  Whitey will be the largest minority in Merika in just few years. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#19]
The claim and acknowledgment by the USSC that the Law profession is "more equal" than others....say the NBA or Hockey, is a troublesome one.  It creates a de facto "priesthood" in the law by making the claim that law school is the traditional path to power and influence.  It may be true but it is a distinction without much virtue.  It seems to say that a white lawyer cannot be a "legitimate" representative of a black man, therefore we must have more black lawyers, who by inference CANNOT BE EFFECTIVE COUNSEL FOR A WHITE MAN.  The only real evidence for this is the existence of the Black Caucus or the Hispanic Caucus.  Isn't this ironic?  There is no White Caucus, only the claim of "good ol boys" or as the politicians say, the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy.  It's not a debate of facts but of feelings.

The next claim is that the AA program in the Michigan undergraduate school was necessary to provide a pool of candidates for leadership.  The law school maintained that it needed flexibility to CONTINUE the efforts of achieving "equality".  The next logical extension is that you will need to appoint representatives "at large" to make sure that the effort continues in the legislative arena, which supposedly what all this is about.  There's really not much end to this line of thinking......because it's not thinking it's extortion.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Preface: The worst Republican is better than the best Democrat.

That said, the only reason that yahoo (who I voted for) got into Yale was through their legacy policy. Once there, he received all "C"s.

I can understand his agreement with unfair admissions policies since he is a product of them.
View Quote

Let's be realistic about this.  If alumni parents endowed the school with a large sum of money don't you think their marginally acceptable son deserves a "chance to improve".  All that money in essence provides a free education, or at least a subsidized one to many who might otherwise lack the funds.  There is usually a large benefit to the policy of legacy admissions.  There is as much affirmative action to allowing the legacy policy as there is in blatant quotas.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top