Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2003 7:18:27 PM EDT
So whaddaya think?

Here's the story. I live in a one bedroom apartment. There's a bedroom, and the main room plus one bathroom. Not a whole hell of a lot of space. Anyways, my parents are coming up in a couple of weeks, and my brothers might come too. If my brothers come, they may bring their girlfriends. This means there is a potential to have 6 people visiting. My parents are pretty cheap, and are pressuring me to let everyone stay at my apartment.

At first I was against the idea. I told them they need to get a hotel, but my parents are putting on the pressure. I talked with a guy at work, and he thought I should let them stay if they are willing to put up with the inconvenience.

Here's the thing. My fiance is going to be staying here too, and she is pretty against putting up with the inconvenience. 8 people sharing a bathroom and a one bedroom apartment for a weekend is not her idea of fun.

So what do you think?

Thanks for any opinions on this guys...

Shawn

edit to add: We are definitelly not against a FEW of them staying here, but 6 guests seems like a bit much... also should add that this is for the 4th of July weekend...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they coming from Mexico in the back of a truck?
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:26:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Invite them all to stay, absolutely. When they arrive, give them the key, then check in to the 5 star hotel you've booked for you and your girlfriend!

TT [wave]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Go with TTs idea.  Tempers will flare or it will be a real good time.  Depends on the temperment of the people.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
WTF, it's only for a little while.

Score a few points with Ma and Pa.

The next time, you can bet your ass they'lll rent rooms!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Check with your manager,there is a law concerning how many people can reside in a one bedroom apt!  And you will have to let the manager know in advance that you will be having X number of guests for X number of days!

Bob [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
WTF, it's only for a little while.

Score a few points with Ma and Pa.

The next time, you can bet your ass they'lll rent rooms!
View Quote

Think of this as a teaching opportunity that you shouldn't pass up. Teach them the value of privacy & that way you are sure to never have this problem crop up again.

The wierd thing is that I can't believe that everyone, besides you and your SO are going along w/ this receipe for disaster.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
If myself and/or my girlfriend can't walk around nude, then it's an incovienance. If the inlaws and family want to...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:15:38 PM EDT
[#9]
do whatever your girlfriend says!
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Color me logical, but it seems like it would a lot less trouble to just hire a dominatrix instead....

cynic
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:32:35 PM EDT
[#11]
If they are staying for more than 3 days, they need to get a room at the local Holiday Inn.
AB
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:42:27 AM EDT
[#12]
At most, I *might* have my parents stay.  However, having your brothers and their girlfriends stay as well will just lead to a completely wretched situation:

"Hey, who peed all over the bathroom floor?"

"Whose panties are hanging in the shower?"

The ideal solution would be to go with your fiancee's desire for privacy, and tell your family (in a kind way, of course) to get a hotel room or rooms.

After all, there's no need to start pissing off your future wife early, you can start that later [:D]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:55:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 12:56:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

extreme lol
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:09:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Eight people and one bathroom.
That's gonna work out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

[LOL]

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:36:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Does the term sadomasochism mean anything to you?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Kick'em to the curb.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 1:56:10 AM EDT
[#19]
[sarcasm]Let 'em all stay! You'll love the misery.[/sarcasm]
[img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-034.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:31:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell them you got first dibs on showers so YOU can use up all the hot water.

All kidding aside,  it would depend on how long the stay is.  If it is more than a day or two,  I don't see how you can do it.  I have had a one bedroom and there is no way I had enough floor space for eight people.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:27:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Well if your parents are cheap does that mean you are too?  Spring for the hotel room for your parents and let your brothers stay with them.  Just think of it in these terms, how much are you willing to pay to avoid a weekend from hell like you described?  Depending on where you are $100 could cover two nights in a hotel for them.  It would be well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:47:09 AM EDT
[#22]
shawn, grab the girlfriend, your guns and head for bulletfest. you can hide out in ohio.

8 folks...3 rooms? that's a train wreck.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:00:37 AM EDT
[#23]
They are family, I would let them but I wouldnt like it.  look for cheap hotels close and get the info the the brothers let them know what the deal is with the high number of guests and let them make up there own minds. I have no problem telling my brother or sister the folowing

" look Mom and dad are going to be here and I think thats the max I can take for this long. Stay here  ONLY IF YOU HAVE TO. If you can crash at this hotel It will be smoother for all concerned"

Mom and dad may think its cute to get the whole family together, it will make them feel proud.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:41:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I'd let them stay but only if your brothers' girlfriends are hot. Small apartment, one bathroom;;; "Oops!! Sorry! I didn't know you were in here! And you're naked!"
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

lol. wait. are you Mexican? is this a family tradition?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:12:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So whaddaya think?

Here's the thing. My fiance is going to be staying here too, and she is pretty against putting up with the inconvenience. 8 people sharing a bathroom and a one bedroom apartment for a weekend is not her idea of fun.

So what do you think?

Thanks for any opinions on this guys...

Shawn

View Quote

You WILL only have 1 set of parents ever. You will only have one set of brothers. You may have several fiance's or wives. You do the math.

I'd give anything to have to share tight space with my father again.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:29:07 AM EDT
[#27]
BTW- This is for a couple nights over the 4th of July weekend. I talked with my older brother last night, and it doesn't sound like he's all that excited about having everyone stay at one place either.

Here's a little more background info:

I'm the middle brother of 3 boys. I am the only one with a job though. Neither of my brothers can afford a hotel room, so I guess it might make more sense to have them stay at my apartment.

Thanks for all the responses...

No, we're not Mexican!!

Shawn
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 5:42:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Check with your apt. complex. Many will have by the day executive/corporate rentals if there is vacancy, you can rent another furnished apt usually less than a hotel. Wife & I have done this when invited to weddings & such, quieter and more room than a motel. We've had 8 people in our house visiting and I felt cramped, can't imagine that many in a 1 BR apt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:11:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd give anything to have to share tight space with my father again.
View Quote

That sure ain't no lie!
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#30]
maybe for one night but not more than that
I wouldn't want that many people in my 2 bed room apartment for more than 1-2 nights
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Make sure and serve plenty of chili on Friday night.

Even without that, it will take 2-3 hours or more in the morning to get all the the bathroom stuff done, and that's without waiting for the hot water.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 9:18:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Gawd,your father must be one helluva tightass if he's won't spend $30-40 bucks a night at the motel 6,and prefers sleeping on the floor of your one bedroom apartment with six other people.[rolleyes]

Not to mention all there belongings.

How the fuck are all you people gonna take a shower in the morning? [ROFL2]

From my experience the typical one bedroom apartment doesn't have enough room for everyone to be in the living room much less relax in the evening.

Trust me everyone involved is gonna want a break from eachother when the day is done,not all climb in the sack together.

If your brothers are broke,sounds like they can't afford to go on vacation.

Don't mean to be harsh,just funny to see that someone elses family can come up with some pretty screwball ideas too.[:)]

Three days of hell.

To me it'd be worth a couplea hundred dollars to put them up some place if they won't see the folly of there plan.

Hard to beleive your brothers GF's are going for this.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Wall to wall boys and girls. So how is it going to work? Who gets to sleep next to who? One can only hope you don't roll the wrong way in the middle of the night and end up with the wrong person. Ew...

TT [rofl]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:36:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Padres, Si
Hermano, No

brothers WITH GF's? with parents. too many in that small of a place for a VISIT!  (now, if they all were to live there?  heheheh) [:D]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 10:51:34 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I see nothing wrong with it.  When I was young, I couldn't imagine having family stay in a hotel.  That just wouldn't happen.  You never know, you might have fun.  I've had sixteen in my three room house.  That was pushing it, but with six younger people out of the eight, you should be able to easily make do.z
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#37]
You are crazy for even considering it. Get the hotel for you and the GF.  Shop around for the best discount.  Go camping if the hotel is too much.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top