Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2003 9:55:55 PM EDT
If anyone used Google on the 17th, did you click on the special MC Escher banner?  I had never really looked at all of his work, but I think almost of all of his work is extremely unique and original.  I'm not an art student, but I've never seen someone with such a mastery of perspective. I've never really heard his name thrown around with the big ones (Micahelego, Leonardo, Picasso, etc.) when some of his work is much better I think.  Is his art to recent to be considered classic?

Anyone else out there like his stuff?

- Matt

EDIT:  For anyone that hasn't seen any of his work, here's a few links to galleries of his stuff:

[url]http://www.math.technion.ac.il/~rl/M.C.Escher/  [/url]
[url]http://www.worldofescher.com/gallery/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:17:32 PM EDT
[#1]
My highschool art teacher was an MC Escher freak, so we had a healthy exposure to him.

His stuff makes you wonder what he was on, but I like him plenty.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:21:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think he has much critical acclaim because his work isn't very conceptual and didn't fit in with the popular art of it's time period.  Most of the time art critics like to lump a group of hot artists together and call it a "movement" and give it a name.  The movement popular at the time when Escher was making most of that work (late 1940s-1960s) was "abstract expressionism" and he was basically the exact opposite of what they stood for.  They were all about expressing emotion through the way you move paint around a canvas, and art as art itself.  They didn't think art should be used as a tool for representing something from the real world.  I'm talking about people like Pollock, DeKooning, Kline... and Escher's work was basically painsakinglly rendered math and science problems.  Because of that he didn't get much critical acclaim in the art world, but he was really famous with people like mathematicians, scientists, and high school teachers.  I don't really enjoy his work because it's so cold, and I hate math/geometry.  But there is no denying he was a great artist and a brilliant mathematician.  

He has enough fame I think, you shouldn't feel bad for him.  I mean, I hear they are even talking about his dead ass on gun forums...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 12:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 1:18:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I got into his work when I started in my Civil Engineering Tech classes. I then did some of his easier stuff on AutoCad.

ED
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
MC Escher, Salvador Dali--some of my greatest artistic inspirations.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Love him!
Post some of his pics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:56:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a book of his stuff from the 1970's.
He combines engineering with imagination.
Good stuff, you can't have enough art.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:14:36 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was in school (long long time ago, in a far away galaxy), I was dating this girl. I picked her up one night, I had on this MC Escher tshirt.  She asked me if he was some rap band.  That relationship did not last long.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:15:48 AM EDT
[#9]
... pure genius
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:27:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

His stuff makes you wonder what he was on
View Quote

"I don't use drugs, my dreams are frightening enough."
  -- M.C. Escher
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:45:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I really enjoy Escher's work.  In college I did quite a bit of study on a surrealist painter named Rene Magritte.  His stuff is really mind boggling as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:53:23 AM EDT
[#12]
He operated on a different plan than normal man.

He works are timeless
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:11:14 AM EDT
[#13]
[url]http://stvwdmnn.home.mindspring.com/mott/youreallygotme.swf[/url]

Still my fave pic by him from the first album from my fave band in my HS era (early '70s), Mott the Hoople.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top