BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

[url]http://a1112.g.akamai.net/7/1112/492/03312000/news.lycos.com/news/ot_getImage.asp?op=img&id=354440[/url]

[b]Why is he pointing a gun at Sarah Jessica Parker?[/b]

View Quote

[LOLabove]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
[img]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_030524-N-4441P-091.jpg[/img]
Me thinks it would be nice to have the .308NATO M4 w/ the 11" barrel and a shorter version of the collapsible stock (an inch or two smaller).
Lots of power in a relatively tiny package.
Should be more effective than 5.56 in CQB

Just a sick thought [;D]
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:11:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the tennis shoes. Are those issue?
View Quote

Merrel Ventilator Chameleon High's.  My favorite hiking boot.  They've got plenty of support for most hiking, sticky vibram soles, and you can feel the breeze blowing through them cooling your tootsies.  Great boots, about 100 bucks or so retail.

They also make a low version that's below the ankle.

Definitely not issue, but they are a nice boot.
View Quote

Actually, those are Danner Radical GTX boots.

I have the same exact pair.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:06:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Take a closer look.  

See that big black "v" shape on the heel of the boot?  That's a thermoplastic ankle support.  It wraps around the ankle and provides a Ton of lateral support without adding a lot of weight or bulk.  The sole is also a particular vibram sole.  THe lugs are shaped like elongated "o's" and wrap up a bit on the sides and well up on the heel.  The black spots on the sides are mesh panels that let air in and water out.  No Goretex to speak of, that ruins the breathability of the shoe and slows down moisture transport out of the shoe.

Let's see if I can attach some comparitive pictures:

Merrell:
[img]http://www.outdoorreview.com/Channels/OutdoorReview/images/products/product_80822.jpg[/img]

Danner:
[img]http://www.danner.com/images/productimg/45006.jpg[/img]

big difference.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:42:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Black Jack Rackham's flag for the SEAL's. What is the silver thingy on the front of that FAL? Is that one of those SPR Comp/Suppressor adapters if seen on SEAL M-14's too? Also he's wearin Brit. pattern body armor but US cammies and boots. This guys been all over the place. Where's his back up? You mean the photo wasn't staged and they're actually observing a 5 meter spread? 3rd guy in the background looks like Parker Lewis from the TV show.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_030524-N-4441P-091.jpg[/img]

The knee pads on the right are available at Home Depot for $16.  I bought the exact same thing back in February for an InSights rifle class.  They're really comfortable, too!

Also note the Cold Steel push dagger strapped onto his vest.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 4:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Looks like he's wearing the new Penetrator/MOLLE vest - U.S. issue. Also, why is a Captain pulling clearing duty?...unless he is of the "long tab" flavor.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Once more back to that "pistol" grip.....isn't it amazing how quickly the popular tactics change? I was taught it is a rifle and spread you hands for support and keep your mits of the mag....ya want a misfeed? Now we got-high speed low drag new way of doing things...next they will be wearing tennis shoes....oh yeah I forgot.....
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.news.navy.mil/management/photodb/webphoto/web_030524-N-4441P-091.jpg[/url]
Me thinks it would be nice to have the .308NATO M4 w/ the 11" barrel and a shorter version of the collapsible stock (an inch or two smaller).
Lots of power in a relatively tiny package.
Should be more effective than 5.56 in CQB

Just a sick thought [;D]
View Quote

Nope...these little rifles are perfect for their mission:  Visit, Boarding, Search, & Seizure (VBSS).  .308 is not the optimum weapon caliber for use inside the skin of the ship.  While I personally like the .308 a bit more for its knockdown power, it isn't our best choice for this mission.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 7:55:06 AM EDT
[#11]
a 7.62 NATO rifle would be really bad for CQB, especially in a shorty format.  THe Muzzle blast would be HUGE, recoil would be oppressive and overpenetration would be a serious problem.  In CQB emphasis is on quick, accurate hits, blowing the guy into next week isn't all that important when you are putting rounds into the head at 3-5 meters or so. A 5.56 round will do the job beautifully at that range, even out of those short little barrels the round is going to fragment catastrophically and make a mess internally while failing to overpenetrate.  Because of the low recoil of the 5.56 round you are fast on target again as well for the next shot.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:20:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone know what chest harness they are using? Is it SOE? I'm kinda curious.

Also is that a elastic rifle sling on the guy's M4 on the right?
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Does anyone know what chest harness they are using? Is it SOE? I'm kinda curious.

Also is that a elastic rifle sling on the guy's M4 on the right?
View Quote

Looks like a BH STRIKE plate carrier w/ added pouches to me.

And the sling does look like a bungie slick.

Link Posted: 6/20/2003 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I hear Eagle makes the chest rig/plate carrier combo as well. Just not available to the public yet. I hope they aren't using Blackhawk made in Vietnam crap.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:18:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I hear Eagle makes the chest rig/plate carrier combo as well. Just not available to the public yet. I hope they aren't using Blackhawk made in Vietnam crap.
View Quote

That's true.

I really wish Eagle would open up more of their line to civvies, because I don't ever plan to buy from BH again.  Hell, Eagle Ind. is located about 15 minutes from my house.  I'd love to give them my business, but apparently they have enough business with the Gov't.  I guess I'll stick to the gear makers that pay more attention to their civvie customers like SOTECH, SOE and Paraclete to name a few.

BTW, I'm fully aware of the fact that it is MUCH more important that the mil. get this gear than I.  I'm just pointing out that there are several other gear makers that are really good about supplying the civ. market with the lastest and greatest stuff, as soon as the mil. orders are met.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:11:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
a 7.62 NATO rifle would be really bad for CQB, especially in a shorty format.  THe Muzzle blast would be HUGE, recoil would be oppressive and overpenetration would be a serious problem.  In CQB emphasis is on quick, accurate hits, blowing the guy into next week isn't all that important when you are putting rounds into the head at 3-5 meters or so. A 5.56 round will do the job beautifully at that range, even out of those short little barrels the round is going to fragment catastrophically and make a mess internally while failing to overpenetrate.  Because of the low recoil of the 5.56 round you are fast on target again as well for the next shot.
View Quote

You are so very right!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You are so very right!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote

As they say, .223 is BITCHIN at pistol ranges...
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't forget on a ship the "walls, floors and ceilings" are either steel or aluminum.  On a merchie most likely steel.  A really different environment where it's likely projectiles will bounce rather than penetrate.  Kneepads and elbow pads good, some Marines here may remember "kneeknockers", no visors, good, whacking yer head on a low overhead is easy enough, visors guarantee it.

What kind of tread do those "boots" have? You want a medium tread at most because non-skid surfaces can play hob with aggressive treads
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 9:33:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What kind of tread do those "boots" have? You want a medium tread at most because non-skid surfaces can play hob with aggressive treads
View Quote

Medium aggressive.  Not as aggressive as the Kletterlift sole used on Ft. Lewis and Matterhorn boots, but more aggressive than your average running shoe or trail running shoe.  Nice grippy rubber though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top