Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2003 9:00:36 PM EDT
For my 1000th post........

I bring you some war-movie quick-reviews.  Feel free to add to, or contradict my opinions.  Also, PLEASE add more movies -- lets make this the DEFINITIVE LIST.

[b]First, WWII:[/b]  Several good movies to be found here.

[b]Patton[/b] - If you haven't seen it, go see it.  Now.  Patton was portrayed fairly well, in my opinion, based on all the stuff I've read about him, and Montgomery was portrayed excellently as an egotistical and very self assured general.  Gotta love Monty's best line, delivered on his learning Patton has taken Palermo:  "Damn."

[b]Cross of Iron[/b] - Found this on overnet (peer to peer sharing), went out and bought the DVD the first time I saw it.  Pretty good, one of a few movies I've seen that's not starring a US unit.  Short version:  German soldier fighting in war vs aristocratic German officer.

[b]A Bridge Too Far[/b] - Worth watching once, but not necessarily worth much more than once or twice.  I wasn't all that impressed, but nonetheless, its in my library.

[b]Tora! Tora! Tora![/b] - Wonderful movie about Perl Harbor, showing both the Japanese views and the US views of conditions and events leading up to it.  No romance here like that other movie.

[b]Das Boot[/b] - Great movie, wonderful representation of German U-boats.  Can't say much more, since I haven't seen it for a while, and the local stores don't have it.  Guess it'll go on the Amazon list.

[b]Band of Brothers[/b] - Well, HBO miniseries, not really a movie, but worth a mention.  Well worth the $80 for the DVDs.  Not sure how accurate it really is, but its said to be pretty accurate.  Great actors, great directing.  Go see it.

[b]A Midnight Clear[/b] - Decent movie, but not one I would have seen unless I had to watch it for a history class.

[b]Saving Private Ryan[/b] - If you haven't seen it, go see it.  Thats about all that needs to be said.

[b]Thin Red Line[/b] - OK storyline, ruined by marginal acting.

[b]The Korean War:[/b]

[b]Pork Chop Hill[/b] - Hard to follow at times because they shot parts of it with way too much light for a night scene.  Granted, they have to have some light so you can see whats going on, but there's one battle where it seems to go from midnight to noon and back several times during the same assault.  Worth watching once, maybe two or three times.

I can't think of any more movies about the Korean War....please add more!

[b]Hamburger Hill[/b] - Great movie, if a bit on the gritty side.  One scene involving helicopters and US troops makes me feel a little sick when I see it, you'll probably know which scene I'm referring to when you watch the movie.  Addresses many aspects that some other movies tend to gloss over, such as having to repeatedly attack the same objective.

[b]Platoon![/b] - Fairly good movie, but since I'm not a huge fan of Sheen, I didn't care for it as much as Hamburger Hill.  Some good lines, some really really bad ones.

[b]Good Morning Vietnam![/b] - OK, not really a "War" movie like the rest of 'em, but its worth mentioning just because its hilarious and I wanted to end my list on a light note.  Robin Williams has some hilarious lines.

OK, my brain has turned to mush and I can't think of any more I've seen, though I know I've seen 'em.  Maybe a bit less alcohol consumption would have helped.  FWIW, dinner tonight consisted of several pints of [url="www.guinness.com"]Guinness [/url] at my favorite watering hole while watching the Cardinals lose [:(]  Sorry, no pictures of dinner with guns and such, simply because of that whole guns+bar=BAD thing.....

C'mon guys (and gals)....add your favorite war movies!

Edited to fix stupid spacing problems.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah the ol' Black and Tan buzz.  Isnt much else that can take its place.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
[b]Trespass[/b] was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 10:49:31 PM EDT
[#3]
WE WERE SOLDIERS!  That movie [s]will be[/s] is a classic!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top