Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 36
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:40:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I put up my storm shutters, brought in everything, tied down the trailer, bought a bunch of gas, water, and food.

My challenging of Murphy's law saves everyone on the east coast from Michael, except you Florida. Sorry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:42:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I put up my storm shutters, brought in everything, tied down the trailer, bought a bunch of gas, water, and food.

My challenging of Murphy's law saves everyone on the east coast from Michael, except you Florida. Sorry.
View Quote

We are good in S Florida. I shuttered up and secured everything. 1200% guarantee it won't hit where I am now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:43:18 PM EDT
[#3]
My fiances parents live in Sebastian and are finally bugging out and coming here to Tampa.

Her dad is all kinds of pissed because he was dead set on riding it out.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:43:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Latest map shows it pulling more to the east. Looks like South Florida is going to be safe.

Coastal northern Florida doesn't look so good
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Just got our mandatory evacuation for St. Augustine.  GET THE FECK OUT! they said.  

I beat them to the punch.  I should have some goo time-lapse GoPro footage when I get back Saturday.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/st-johns-county-mandatory-evacuation-order-now-includes-entire-city-of-st-augustine/453938281
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The webcams in Exumas are out, and the ones in Nassau are starting to show increased winds.  Probably only 20 knots so far.  

NOAA 8 p.m. forecast is out.  Doesn't look like track has moved at all.
View Quote

That sucks I was planning on taking the old lady in a few weeks to see the piggies
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:55:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck to everyone, looks like it might be a cat 5 again by this time tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:05:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Great info guys.  Keep the updates coming.    I remember the Katrina thread, and I remember that Arfcom was ahead of the Haliburton Hurricane machine at every turn.  

This time, George Bush hates middle-class white people, (including Cubans).  

Good luck all.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
What do I do? I'm about 8 miles inland in Southside Jax. I've never been in a hurricane before. Is it dumb for me to ride it out? Or should I bug it to Tampa to my in laws?

No clue what I'm doing here
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Great info guys.  Keep the updates coming.    I remember the Katrina thread, and I remember that Arfcom was ahead of the Haliburton Hurricane machine at every turn.  

This time, George Bush hates middle-class white people, (including Cubans).  

Good luck all.
View Quote
We're not voting for Yeb!

Hence the hurricane going to Palm Beach to attack Trump and the flip to then punish us.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:09:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

What do I do? I'm about 8 miles inland in Southside Jax. I've never been in a hurricane before. Is it dumb for me to ride it out? Or should I bug it to Tampa to my in laws?

View Quote
Yeah, secure your shit and boggie out to the inlaws.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. Dont fuck around even if you know what you are doing. It's really not worth it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get your shit secured and get out.  This is shaping up to be pretty nasty.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Did it do much damage in Hati, and the other places it has impacted? Have not heard too much about loss of life. If a third world country can make it through I am sure those on the east coast can. Seems like media hype to get an upswing in sales/viewers/government funds for states.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:23:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Fuel cans loaded in my truck. Guns loaded in cases. Ammo cans ready to load.

Now I wait.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone want some company or help?  Have my own supplies and can bring generator.  Serious inquiry.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:25:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Did it do much damage in Hati, and the other places it has impacted? Have not heard too much about loss of life. If a third world country can make it through I am sure those on the east coast can. Seems like media hype to get an upswing in sales/viewers/government funds for states.
View Quote

It killed 16 people. No media there, they're all in FL. Get out, hurricane force winds and floods are nothing to mess with .
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:26:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

11 deaths in Haiti
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you don't have anything to lose, you don't lose much when you lose everything. Put differently, if you built your house out of stuff you found in the streets, when all the houses blow down, you can build another one out of the stuff laying around. It doesn't work the same in a highly developed place.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#20]

My friend lives in Freeport and is riding it out in this building.  It's the cable building for the fiber optics that run from the US to the Bahamas.  This isn't their first hurricane and he is not very concerned.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:31:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fo.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:33:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Climate models lying, who would have thought?
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:35:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Being in one before doesn't really prepare you for being in another one. It just means your house didn't get blown away the first time.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:38:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Latest map shows it pulling more to the east. Looks like South Florida is going to be safe.

https://icons.wunderground.com/data/images/at201614_model_zoom.gif

View Quote
The only model on that map that is even remotely good at handling tropical systems is the GFS.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Miami checking in.

Shuttered up
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:40:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only model on that map that is even remotely good at handling tropical systems is the GFS.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The GFS model has the eye far away from South Florida....should only expect some mild winds if that's the case.

Melbourne will get hit hard though
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#27]
It sure would suck to be in NE Fla now and boogie over to the SW on the gulf side only to have this thing loop around and cut across later. I hope those noodles are wrong.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:42:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

How many were lost during Katrina?    People die with just rain flooding of streets in the USA.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:43:00 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
The GFS model has the eye far away from South Florida....should only expect some mild winds if that's the case.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Based on current run, GFS at 30 hrs has center 10 miles E of Stuart Florida...

Current pressure down to 958 with a closed eye. This will be a Cat4 by morning.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm in the Riverside area of Jacksonville. But I'm about 6 blocks away from the river. This storm is probably going to be very bad, but I am staying put. We will see. I have friends out towards the beaches that I think should leave, but they are not yet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I'm in the Riverside area of Jacksonville. But I'm about 6 blocks away from the river. This storm is probably going to be very bad, but I am staying put. We will see. I have friends out towards the beaches that I think should leave, but they are not yet.
View Quote
Do you know if the river will be impacted by storm surge? Have you checked your flood maps lately? May be wise to get out if you can.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:46:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And possibly a Cat 5 by landfall.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote
You been through a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane before?

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Do you know if the river will be impacted by storm surge? Have you checked your flood maps lately? May be wise to get out if you can.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weather channel is saying storm surge from St Aug up through S.C. is going to be very very bad!  GTFO!  These areas have not seen a storm like this since the 1890's.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Take this man's advice, please.  He should know.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:54:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, biggest fear right now is if the storm's hurricane force windfield were to expand in size. The only 'good' thing Matt has going for it right now is that it is a fairly compact storm. If the upper level winds spread out and mix down to the surface, we could have a really serious situation on our hands with much of the Florida peninsula in hurricane force winds vs. Tropical Storm force winds as it is currently modeled.

Some of the models today are good at forecasting direction of tropical systems, but still lack greatly in targeting intensity.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm in Daytona 10 miles inland. I have family in Orlando, and I'm heading there tomorrow. I can get the house fixed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 EDT
[#38]
Classic buzzsaw structure. This thing is getting ready to bomb out overnight. Frightened to what we will be waking up to.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Honestly, biggest fear right now is if the storm's hurricane force windfield were to expand in size. The only 'good' thing Matt has going for it right now is that it is a fairly compact storm. If the upper level winds spread out and mix down to the surface, we could have a really serious situation on our hands with much of the Florida peninsula in hurricane force winds vs. Tropical Storm force winds as it is currently modeled.

Some of the models today are good at forecasting direction of tropical systems, but still lack greatly in targeting intensity.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree. Right now hurricane force winds only extend ~45 miles from the eye wall. Given the fact that it appears to be reforming and the temperature and depth of the water it's in, it could well spread out rather quickly as it strengthens.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:01:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My address is not in one of the evacuation zones. What does that mean? I'm trying to figure it out but can't seem to find an answer. Do evacuation zones change?
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#41]
Port nassau webcam is back online

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:04:49 AM EDT
[#42]
I remember the Katrina threads. I'm wishing all the east coast /Florida arfcommers all the best luck. Stay safe!
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:05:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

My address is not in one of the evacuation zones. What does that mean? I'm trying to figure it out but can't seem to find an answer. Do evacuation zones change?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You asked a question and got your answer.  Leave.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:07:23 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mandatory evac zones are areas that will either be under water from storm surge or otherwise inaccessible by emergency personnel. Given the time to evacuate, it is difficult for municipalities to direct entire swaths of population to get out at once, so generally they start at the coast / areas of highest impact.

That being said, this is one of those situations where common sense should trump the law. Get the hell out and be safe.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Port nassau webcam is back online
http://www.portnassauwebcam.com/

View Quote
They still have 8 or 9 hours before it gets there too.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:15:15 AM EDT
[#47]
God speed ladies and gentlemen.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess I can't ask anymore questions I'm probably bugging out tomorrow morning
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:20:31 AM EDT
[#49]
In case you had any doubt how serious hurricane Matthew will be, direct from the NWS for Florida:

-Potential impacts: Devastating to locally catastrophic

-Structural damage to sturdy buildings, some with complete Roof and wall failures. Complete destruction of mobile Homes. Damage greatly accentuated by large airborne Projectiles.

-Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks or Months.

-Numerous large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences And roadway signs blown over.

-Many roads impassable from large debris, and more within Urban or heavily wooded places. Many bridges, causeways, And access routes impassable.

-Widespread power and communications outages.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 12:25:23 AM EDT
[#50]
00z canadian model has a fl landfall and a chs landfall.
Page / 36
Top Top