Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2003 4:54:16 PM EDT
Does anyone know if these electronics shops that cater to foreigners are any worth a damn?

… Tonight after a healthy bout of drinking, I decided to go out shopping for some binoculars because I left mine at home. I found some Sakar 10x42 TR- (or Optics I.R.) Binoculars for about $120 and bought them because of their unbelievable ability to gather light; even over Nikon and Pentax.

… Whilst shopping, I stumbled onto the new [url=http://www.crutchfield.com/S-gvuUdROla6q/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?I=133SVAV20]Panasonic SV-AV20[/url]

… Does anyone out there have one of these jewels? They truly seem to be all the shnitz!

Get this, the tiny fucker does all of the following

JPEG
MPEG3
MPEG4
MPEG2-AAC, MP3
SD Jukebox V 3.0 software
SD MovieStage V2.0 software

All packed in a tiny package 2-1/2"W x 1-1/16"H x 3-1/16"D

… How could I wrong for $300?

… Come on you audio/video 'philes, please critique
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Those places are usually ripoff joints.  They often deal in gray market stuff without USA warranties. That camera is available on the net for about $250 including shipping and no sales tax.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:10:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Walk W 47th Street between 5th and 6th  (I know it's now called AA, old habits never die) and check the prices in the NYT Sunday edition.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, some of them may be forged goods.  Sometimes, it'll be a Panasonic from Japan with no USA warranty, and sometimes it'll be a fake panasonic packaged up to look like the real thing.  If you're in NYC and need to get optical goodies, check [url]www.bhphotovideo.com[/url] and [url]www.adoramacamera.com[/url].

I've ordered photo developing goodies from B&H via phone before, and while their phone staff is pretty gruff, their prices are good.  Adorama is comparable, and is one of the big riflescope and binocular vendors in the back of Shotgun News.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Also, some of them may be forged goods.  Sometimes, it'll be a Panasonic from Japan with no USA warranty, and sometimes it'll be a fake panasonic packaged up to look like the real thing.  If you're in NYC and need to get optical goodies, check [url]www.bhphotovideo.com[/url] and [url]www.adoramacamera.com[/url].

I've ordered photo developing goodies from B&H via phone before, and while their phone staff is pretty gruff, their prices are good.  Adorama is comparable, and is one of the big riflescope and binocular vendors in the back of Shotgun News.
View Quote

bingo, heed mr_camera_man's words well. Adorama and BHphoto are the only companies in NYC that I'll do business with. Anyone else and you've got a good chance that you'll be cheated.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 7:12:31 PM EDT
[#6]
... You guys testimony is good enough for me. I'm not 'impulse"buying here.

... I am thinking of mixing up myself a stiff drink and walking over towards the UN building now.

... Thanks fellas!
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 8:21:24 PM EDT
[#7]
W-W;

Another bump for B&H.  Should be a nice walk down to 9th (Between W33 and W34th).

Pretty much the only place my g/f gets her goods.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

... Should be a nice walk down to 9th (Between W33 and W34th)

View Quote

... Oh boy did I have a nice walk or what.

... I documented my late-night UN experience [url=http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006006]here[/url]
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Should be a nice walk down to 9th (Between W33 and W34th)

View Quote

... Oh boy did I have a nice walk or what.

... I documented my late-night UN experience [url=http://www.full-auto.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006006]here[/url]
View Quote

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!  Now THATS funny!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top