Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2003 10:07:05 AM EDT
If I was there and I was down to my last mag I would have started grabbing aks and a few mags just to sling one over my shoulder. When my m16 ran dry dump it and grab a AK.

Right? I know they had the chance, maybe they weren't familar with the AK??
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know for sure, but I believe that they didn't really have a chance.  When a skinny was killed, it seemed that another immediately picked up his weapon and continued to shoot at the Americans.

Finally, they were basically trapped and unable to maneuver until vehicles were sent.  Don't remember reading about there being weapons laying in the streets.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Old Painless is right on the money.  I've read the book as well and I specifically remember them talking about Somalis almost immediately pulling the dead out of the street and retreiving their weapons.  Not to say that there wasn't any spare weapons laying around but most of them were probably in places, such as the middle of the friggin street, where nobody wanted to go.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:09:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Exactly what Big Bear said.  The AK sounds very distinctive.  In 'Nam, if you picked up an enemy weapon, you could draw friendly fire bigtime.  Most of the time in a war like that, you didn't see the enemy, you shot at where you thought he was.

Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
I for sure wouldn't make a mad dash in the middle of a street to pick up a weapon that is possibly empty.  I also agree with the guys about weapon sounds and no night vision.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top