Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 11:59:58 AM EDT
Tell me about them. Who has one and are they worth ALL that money. I am looking at the 3 1/2" folder AT 400 bills! [:O] [:O] Is this worth the price Talk to me!! PG [0:)][0:)]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:15:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
No current-production knife is worth $400. It's a damn tool.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No current-production knife is worth $400. It's a damn tool.
View Quote

By production I assume you think these are Old Timers or Buck They are NOT. They are Hand made in NJ. Yea I can buy a Buck at Wally World I want something that my son will be proud of. A [b]REAL[/b] knife. Now your thoughts Nova!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
No...by production I mean it wasn't made in Toledo Spain the 18th century.

New Jersey in 2003, even if they only make a dozen, counts as current production in my book.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:11:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Sorry, I don't know anyone who has a Merc.

For $400 bucks I picked up a Mission MPF-1 in titanium.  Non-magnetic and even the screws are titanium.  Impervious to all natural elements.  But if you want steel they also have an A2 model.

[url]http://www.missionknives.com/Indexframes.html[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Buy ten Spydercos and go out to dinner.  I can't really see spending that much on a knife that actually gets used.  I lose them and cut wire and do all sorts of stupid shit with my knives.  But if you got the juice...
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:28:08 AM EDT
[#8]
In my opinion , no knife is worth that kind of money ...it is jusy a tool , and I do not think that a $400+ knife is going to perform any more extraordinarilly than a $100 knife ....

For $400 you can buy yourself any number of really nice guns.......

t
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I want something that my son will be proud of.
View Quote

(Depending on his age...) Your son would be proud of a boy scout knife if you gave it to him on a camping trip and showed him how to use it.

fwiw
Scott
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 11:46:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a CRKT M16-12Z for $40 a while ago, worth every damn penny too.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 12:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want something that my son will be proud of.
View Quote

(Depending on his age...) Your son would be proud of a boy scout knife if you gave it to him on a camping trip and showed him how to use it.

fwiw
Scott
View Quote

Yea your right I should have said it another way but ........  
Thanks PG [note to self engage both brain cells THEN type]   [BD]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Hello Propguy, I don't own one of their knives, but a friend of mine on this board (bvmjethead) does. He loves it and must say that it is a quality knife. Contact him about specifics..

C4
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks C4 I have IM'd him early today after a search. It's alot of $$$$ I just want to make sure they are worth it.PG
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Propguy,

You're looking at one of MW's folders?

Which one?

I happy with my Sniper @ $400 but, $400 for a folder??

When you talk to Nigel, ask him if they're sharp.

Call C4iGrant and buy a Benchmade from him.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Look,  these things are knives.  They are made from a bar of steel, and nothing truly exotic at that.  A lot of production knives are made from the same steel.

They are ground carefully as are all quality production knives, they are heat treated and tempered, as are all production knives, and sharpened to a razor sharp edge, as are all quality production knives.  Any real improvements over quality production knives from Emerson, Microtech, Benchmade, etc. are VERY small increments, percentage points really. So are they worth the extra HUNDREDS of dollars?  Not really.  Most of these high-end "tactical" knives are getting by on marketing hype.  The fact of the matter is that the KABAR Marine Corps knive from any of its military contract makers has killed more enemy, opened more crates and tins, hacked more tent stakes and punji pits, dug more fighting positions and lived to tell about it than all the specialty knives combined ever will do.  Are there better knives?  Yup, but let me ask you, would you be willing to dig a hole through packed clay with a 400 dollar Merc Worx or Stryder?  How fast could you put a cutting edge back on it after doing so?  

These things are boutique blades made not so much for operators in the field (most of whom can't afford these things because 400.00 is about a week and a half's pay for them), but for wanna be's and macho men looking for something to brag about at home.  

You want a real solid folder?  Emerson makes a slew of them for between 80.00 and 150.00.  They'll take all the abuse you are willing to hand out.  Benchmades will stand up equally well. And when you finish buying them, you'll be able to afford to take a defensive knife course to teach yourself how to use the thing and still have some money left over from what you budgeted for the boutique blade.

Now swords are a different matter.  Adding that extra two to three feet makes all the difference in the world. The heat treat and tempering process are in a whole different universe from knife-making, and the stresses placed on the blade in use are totally different. 350.00 is just getting started in the world of quality swords.
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#16]
If you want a custom knife get an Elishewitz.  He's one of the best knifemakers IMO.  I have one and it's my everyday carry.  For a little over 4 bones you will be able to get one.

My "Ghost" cost $450 and is not available anymore.  Jeweled titanium liners/titanium bolsters and carbon fiber handle.

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/pfdf3dc17c79fa27301d69fef8757b736/fcd405e9.jpg[/img]

[url]http://elishewitzknives.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 10:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry, no knife is worth 400 bones.  It's a tool.  Just remember, KABAR KICKS A$$!!!!!  I've bought a titanium dive knife for $94 and it's great.  But I would never pay $400 for one.  Now swords, those are INDEED a different story.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:31:01 PM EDT
[#18]
BTT HAPPY FATHERS DAY !! Still have not made my mind up yet!   [BD] [BD]
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#19]
I like their dagger.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 3:10:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I like their dagger.
View Quote

Yep [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top