Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:03:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Just got finished with this. Netflix is cranking out some great content. I enjoyed it all politics aside.
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:39:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I canceled Netflix last January because lack of interest.

Fired it back up this month to catch up an Narcos and see what Stranger Things was about.

A few good movies to see like the one being talked about here, but I'll probably cancel when this month is up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is Netflix worth a shit again?

Fired it back up this month to catch up an Narcos and see what Stranger Things was about.

A few good movies to see like the one being talked about here, but I'll probably cancel when this month is up.

Narcos is bubblegum faggotry compared to El Padron de Mal.

Just fyi
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 8:31:44 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Just fyi
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just fyi
That was a good Novela on Caracol.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Watching this movie made me dust off my British FAL and take her out to the range. I'd forgotten what a pleasure it is to shoot.

Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I watched it for the FAL's, I was not disappointed.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 7:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Great flick, but I lol'd when they pulled an 8mm bullet out of his shoulder with a knife
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Great flick, but I lol'd when they pulled an 8mm bullet out of his shoulder with a knife
View Quote

Notice how after they pulled it out they didn't bandage him, he stopped bleeding (not that he bled much to begin with), and the wound affected him no worse than a mosquito bite, and remained unbandaged and untreated through captivity all the way to Ireland?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Notice how after they pulled it out they didn't bandage him, he stopped bleeding (not that he bled much to begin with), and the wound affected him no worse than a mosquito bite, and remained unbandaged and untreated through captivity all the way to Ireland?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One of the three really dumb things in the movie.

Didn't ruin it, but part of why it is a 7 rather than a 9 out of ten.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 4:22:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:09:54 AM EDT
[#10]
I heard the Wilhelm scream a few times lol
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I learned a BREN gun on single shot is a better choice than a bolt action sniper rifle for taking out important targets.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:51:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Did they really deploy with FAL's, Enfield #4's, Bren guns and Carl Gustav smg's in this be incident? Or was that the Hollywood effect?
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 12:55:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I learned a BREN gun on single shot is a better choice than a bolt action sniper rifle for taking out important targets.
View Quote

and he fires it single shot from the left shoulder... at least the mag isnt in it I guess

sights offset to the right and all... still dont get why they did that whole scene
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I am rooting for the Irish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Who do we root for?

I am rooting for the Irish.

Never root for the Irish.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Did they really deploy with FAL's, Enfield #4's, Bren guns and Carl Gustav smg's in this be incident? Or was that the Hollywood effect?
View Quote

I had thought that they used No. 1s, since that was the standard before the FAL, but apparently they got some basically new No. 4s in the 1950s and deployed with those (Lee-Enfields in general were indeed used). The FAL was the replacement for the Lee-Enfield and were used and looked very similar in configuration to the ones in the movie. They also did use the Swedish K. I may be remembering wrong, but they were provided by the Swedes to some of the other UN troops that were part of ONUC. Brens and Vickers machine guns are also accurate. The opposing force's firearms are mostly, but not entirely, correct. They also did not have Carl Gustav recoilless guns; it was actually the Irish that had them and used them very effectively.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had thought that they used No. 1s, since that was the standard before the FAL, but apparently they got some basically new No. 4s in the 1950s and deployed with those (Lee-Enfields in general were indeed used). The FAL was the replacement for the Lee-Enfield and were used and looked very similar in configuration to the ones in the movie. They also did use the Swedish K. I may be remembering wrong, but they were provided by the Swedes to some of the other UN troops that were part of ONUC. Brens and Vickers machine guns are also accurate. The opposing force's firearms are mostly, but not entirely, correct. They also did not have Carl Gustav recoilless guns; it was actually the Irish that had them and used them very effectively.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know the origin of the Gustav SMG in Ireland, but it was certainly still on common issue in the late 90s for NCOs. Known as the most dangerous weapon in the Army. As an aside, we almost always call things by manufacturer, and not model. So it's "FN", "Steyr", "Panhard", "MOWAG", "Browning," instead of FAL, AUG, AML, Pirhana or, Hi-Power for example.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

You're racist.  Please board the train for re-education.  

I'm torn about the movie given I love a good war movie but the historical skew is off.  

I got a sobering education from our newest bible study family from South Africa, it's hell with European walled cites.  What they dealt with was scary.  Compounds, armed security, transport, bodyguards for the kids going to the schools.  We have no point of reference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best thing to happen to Africa was colonization. Worst to to happen to Africa was de-colonzation.
You're racist.  Please board the train for re-education.  

I'm torn about the movie given I love a good war movie but the historical skew is off.  

I got a sobering education from our newest bible study family from South Africa, it's hell with European walled cites.  What they dealt with was scary.  Compounds, armed security, transport, bodyguards for the kids going to the schools.  We have no point of reference.

Yet.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:29:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Maybe this was answered but, why did the sniper put aside his scoped Enfield to single load an iron sighted Bren to hit the Belgian?  I have a hard time believing the Bren was more accurate at distance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Maybe this was answered but, why did the sniper put aside his scoped Enfield to single load an iron sighted Bren to hit the Belgian?  I have a hard time believing the Bren was more accurate at distance.
View Quote
Hollywood

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 6:45:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Someone probably thought it would look cool.  Looks stupid to anyone who knows better.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:11:41 AM EDT
[#21]
It was also a scene to show that the evil white capitalist is running the show and using those poor native blacks as cannon fodder. It was to push UN bullshit.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:17:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It was also a scene to show that the evil white capitalist is running the show and using those poor native blacks as cannon fodder. It was to push UN bullshit.
View Quote

Oh, absolutely.  Evil capitalists, corporations, neocolonialists, whites, etc.  UN good and noble, but incompetent (except for the Irishmen).  It was ridiculous and completely ahistorical.  What's funny is how closely the narrative of the movie matches O'Brien's editorial and the strongly Leftist propaganda contained therein that I posted earlier.  The movie went even further and portrayed Tshombe as some general who led a coup.  Notice how they always call him "general".  Tshombe was never in the military.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:51:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Watched it the other night.. it was Meh...
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:53:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Hollywood softening up the troops for the UN?

What was the last feel good movie about the UN?

The UN looks like us.....
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 7:57:20 AM EDT
[#25]
It was a great movie! Wow one of the better movies in the last few years. I'm biased as I grew up reading sof
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:00:36 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Oh, absolutely.  Evil capitalists, corporations, neocolonialists, whites, etc.  UN good and noble, but incompetent (except for the Irishmen).  It was ridiculous and completely ahistorical.  What's funny is how closely the narrative of the movie matches O'Brien's editorial and the strongly Leftist propaganda contained therein that I posted earlier.  The movie went even further and portrayed Tshombe as some general who led a coup.  Notice how they always call him "general".  Tshombe was never in the military.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup he was a business man and learned what being an entrepreneur is from his father. He knew that you needed foreign investment to keep Katanga stable.

I always use American motor industry as an example.

What is better, a foreign car maker hiring Americans to build cars in America or an American car maker moving work to Mexico.

Tshombe knew that it was better to have foreign-owned companies provide employment in Katanga then it was to have no industry at all.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Just fyi
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just fyi

I will check that out.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Hollywood softening up the troops for the UN?

What was the last feel good movie about the UN?

The UN looks like us.....
View Quote
I don't think it made the UN look good at all.

I think it was about a group of soldiers that got left out to dry.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Someone probably thought it would look cool.  Looks stupid to anyone who knows better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, exactly on point.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I don't know the origin of the Gustav SMG in Ireland, but it was certainly still on common issue in the late 90s for NCOs. Known as the most dangerous weapon in the Army. As an aside, we almost always call things by manufacturer, and not model. So it's "FN", "Steyr", "Panhard", "MOWAG", "Browning," instead of FAL, AUG, AML, Pirhana or, Hi-Power for example.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol, What do you do if you have two different items from the same manufacturer?  
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah. That was one of the few moments in the movie.

But I enjoyed it, over all. I had never heard of this incident.

Not sure there was a "right" side of the whole shit storm.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The whites were mercs hired by the whites who owned the mines and got fucked when the new leadership came into power and nationalized them.

Blacks would have been cannon fodder either way.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:53:36 AM EDT
[#33]
good movie... not a great one. still i thought it was interesting enough to buy a few books about the subject
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The whites were mercs hired by the whites who owned the mines and got fucked when the new leadership came into power and nationalized them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The native born Whites Belgian settlers say otherwise.

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not following.

Like I said, I didn't know anything about this spec in history. Was just my impression from the movie which could be totally false.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Not following.
Like I said, I didn't know anything about this spec in history. Was just my impression from the movie which could be totally false.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not following.
The movie was totally false. It was UN propaganda and followed the narrative of O'Brien. A UN cock sucker and Globalist.

France and Belgium did second some officers to Katanga and there were Mercs hired by the Katangagese Government. But there was a population of Belgian White Congolese. They were either born there or settlers and were Katangagese citizens.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:14:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Errr....I got to the first shoot out scene and shut it off.  Terrible acting, terrible filming.

It's like a really shitty version of ZULU (which is a great movie).
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 2:40:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seems to depend on what came first. The GMPG, for example, was called "The MAG" but it came into service after the FAL which had already been called the "FN"

That said, the Scorpion CVR(T) was never called "Alvis" so it's not a hard rule. But the XA-180 was "SISU", the L-180 the "Landsverk", the 40mm ADA gun just "The Bofors" and so on and so forth.

I've been having a bit of a think more about the Bren thing and it may not be quite as fanciful as it at first seems, other than the missing frontsight. Believe it or not, the first MG I was ever trained on was the .303 Bren, it still being in reserve service in the late 1990s, and I've never heard anyone complain about its accuracy. The rate of fire was so slow that we did not usually fire in bursts. When it came to the annual shooting competitions, many a team would come a cropper because of the way the rules discouraged firing more than two rounds at a time (They'd put 15 rounds in a magazine, people would forget to fire a three-round burst and you'd have an illegal single shot fired). I believe the British had a similar problem with the L86 LSW, which was so accurate with its bipod and long barrel that instead of being used as a sustained fire area effect weapon, the troops started using them as precision rifles. I can see an argument that a heavy bipod mounted iron sight weapon can an appealing option at a certain range over a free-held rifle, even if that rifle has an optic. I don't recall anyone on the Irish boards objecting to the scene, and they probably got the idea from somewhere. I'll try digging a bit more.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:08:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:13:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Seems to depend on what came first. The GMPG, for example, was called "The MAG" but it came into service after the FAL which had already been called the "FN"

That said, the Scorpion CVR(T) was never called "Alvis" so it's not a hard rule. But the XA-180 was "SISU", the L-180 the "Landsverk", the 40mm ADA gun just "The Bofors" and so on and so forth.

I've been having a bit of a think more about the Bren thing and it may not be quite as fanciful as it at first seems, other than the missing frontsight. Believe it or not, the first MG I was ever trained on was the .303 Bren, it still being in reserve service in the late 1990s, and I've never heard anyone complain about its accuracy. The rate of fire was so slow that we did not usually fire in bursts. When it came to the annual shooting competitions, many a team would come a cropper because of the way the rules discouraged firing more than two rounds at a time (They'd put 15 rounds in a magazine, people would forget to fire a three-round burst and you'd have an illegal single shot fired). I believe the British had a similar problem with the L86 LSW, which was so accurate with its bipod and long barrel that instead of being used as a sustained fire area effect weapon, the troops started using them as precision rifles. I can see an argument that a heavy bipod mounted iron sight weapon can an appealing option at a certain range over a free-held rifle, even if that rifle has an optic. I don't recall anyone on the Irish boards objecting to the scene, and they probably got the idea from somewhere. I'll try digging a bit more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad you are here posting.

You and big stick have made this thread.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:38:55 PM EDT
[#43]
The Bren shot...

HVT dressed in white at a known distance? Have to make a first round hit before they get back into cover? HVT might make or break the engagement?

I would have taken the adjustable iron sights on a heavy stable bi-pod mounted weapon vs the single post garbage scope too.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:19:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I had a irish contract No 4 Mk II made in iirc 1954 or 1955 back in the late 90's. It was brand new, never unwrapped or fired. Looked fresh from the assembly line.

That was a sweeet MFer
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The use of No.4s instead of No.1s would seem to be the bigger technical goof as far as the Irish weapons go.

I'm not an Enfield specialist (I own a No 4 though), and I can check on the Irish military sites, but I'm not convinced by that. Isn't the protruding barrel an indicator of a No 4?

http://66.media.tumblr.com/a40420d5773ca9e70211889fff99a603/tumblr_mvpr7ylV491rcoy9ro1_1280.jpg

Osprey's "Modern African Wars: Congo 1960-2002" (Peter Abbot) specifies the British MkIII helmet, the 37 pattern webbing, and the No 4 rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I believe the No1 MkIII was the standard rifle for reserves until the FAL showed up in the 80s, but it does seem possible that the Congo troops got the latest batch of the things?
Those are No 4s.  Which unit is that and what year?  

In fact something is telling me that one in the center of the pic is a Mk II.

Those

Those wool uniforms would suck in Africa.

Those are indeed No. 4s and look brand new. Ireland must have bought some from Britain after the war. Kind of surprising. No. 1 was definitely the standard, inherited from the British.

I had a irish contract No 4 Mk II made in iirc 1954 or 1955 back in the late 90's. It was brand new, never unwrapped or fired. Looked fresh from the assembly line.

That was a sweeet MFer

Those UF prefix unissued Fazakerly No4s that were imported in the 90s were often called "Irish Contract" rifles but I understand they were not actually part of the group sold to Ireland.

I have twoI might sell soon, and there was just a thread in GD about them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:32:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Watched it last night. Absolutely enjoyed it. I think Netflix did a great job.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 11:50:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Watched it last night, I thought it was a very good movie.

Kind of baffled about the guy in the white suit.
Squirrel, lol
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:48:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#48]
I don't cheer for UN backed missions that spread Marxism.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 12:06:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Any suggested reading material on this or any of the stuff that happened in Africa over the last century?  My knowledge on this is incredibly limited.

A quick look at Amazon brings up dozens, if not hundreds of books.  I'm not sure if there might not be some standouts I should focus on.   May need to hit up the local library and see if the have anything at all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Any suggested reading material on this or any of the stuff that happened in Africa over the last century?  My knowledge on this is incredibly limited.

A quick look at Amazon brings up dozens, if not hundreds of books.  I'm not sure if there might not be some standouts I should focus on.   May need to hit up the local library and see if the have anything at all.
View Quote
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hoare

Any of the books about this guy or stuff googled online will lead in tons of directions for research since he was in the thick of it.
Page / 7
Top Top