Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 7:04:38 AM EDT
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/925113.asp?0cv=CB20[/url]

While Col. Kassem Saleh was stationed in Afghanistan, he had plenty of support from back home. He could count on emails, letters and phone calls from his women — more than 50 fiancées who he met through Internet dating services. Now these women, recently clued in to his “chronic courting,” want the Army to take action, according to a report in Wednesday’s New York Times

FOR YEARS, according to some of the women, Saleh met women through Web sites like tallpersonals.com, match.com and christiansingles.com. What ensued were flowery emails, letters and satellite telephone calls from his bases in Afghanistan.
      “He wrote better than Yeats. He wrote better than Shakespeare. He totally intoxicated you with his feelings: ‘Oh, baby, I want to tell you how much I miss you.’ ‘I can’t wait to get home to you,’ ” Robin Solod, 43, told the Times.
      A member of the Army’s 18th Airborne Corps at Fort Bragg, N.C., Col. Saleh headed reconstruction and humanitarian efforts for the U.S.-led military operations in Afghanistan, Army spokesman Col. Roger King, told the Times.
      The women want the Army to punish Saleh and according to King, the Army is investigating the matter, the Times reported.
      His scheme fell apart this spring when a local Washington television station broadcast a story about a woman who was engaged to Saleh. MSNBC.com’s local news Web site picked up the story and other women who thought they were Saleh’s betrothed called the television station.
TRACKING DOWN THE TRUTH  
        Solod read the news story on the Internet and tracked down Saleh’s “fiancée” in Washington despite his denials that he and the woman were “just friends.” Solod discovered that the two were indeed involved, an exposure that has deeply hurt the many women who thought they were soon headed down the aisle, according to the report.
      According to some of the women, not even the sappy emails were unique. Saleh would reuse emails he received from his women and forward them to many others.
      In one e-mail message that the New York Times said Solod supplied, he wrote: “You are my world, my life, my love and my universe. It’s like my mother used to say to me in Arabic when I was a little boy. Yi Yunni (my eyes), Ya hyyetti (my love), Ya elbee (my heart), and Ya umree (my life). She used to sing it to me so I would fall asleep in our one-bedroom apartment in the slums of Brooklyn.”
      “We are not a group of stupid, naïve women,” Sarah Calder, 33, told the Times. “We are bright, intellectual, professional women. I can’t tell you how much he wooed us with his words. He made us feel like goddesses, fairy princesses, Cinderellas. We had all found our Superman, our knight in shining armor.”  

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell hath no furry like a woman scorned...

I've heard of covering your bases, but sheesh, 50 women...  what was this guy thinking?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#2]
whoopps LOL [LOL]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:16:13 AM EDT
[#3]
And yet Lordtrader is in a slump. Maybe Col. Saleh can spare a few for the ARFCOM Lonely Hearts Club?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
"Cut & Paste" has got to be the most useful windows function in existance.  [}:D]

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
“We are not a group of stupid, naïve women,” Sarah Calder, 33, told the Times. “We are bright, intellectual, professional women. I can’t tell you how much he wooed us with his words. He made us feel like goddesses, fairy princesses, Cinderellas. We had all found our Superman, our knight in shining armor.”
View Quote

Geeeze...They sound like stupid fu
I am truly amazed at the amount of women that fall for such crap.

We had a chubby, frumpy, middle aged clerk at Lowes back when I lived in Utah, that convinced four local women that he was an Army Reserve Special Forces Colonel.  He would spend a week or so with one and then leave to go TDY on a "secret mission" when he was actually spending time with one of the others.  Eventually his lies caught up with him and he was discovered.  

I saw a picture of the guy in the paper and he was a real Caspar Milqetoast.  None of these women questioned why a reserve O-6 would be working at Lowes for 8.50 and hour.

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:32:32 AM EDT
[#6]
[red]
      ?We are not a group of stupid, naïve women,? Sarah Calder, 33, told the Times. ?We are bright, intellectual, professional women. I can?t tell you how much he wooed us with his words. He made us feel like goddesses, fairy princesses, Cinderellas. We had all found our Superman, our knight in shining armor.?  
[/red]
View Quote

But of course they aren't naive. Because naive people don't act like that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#7]
They want the army to take action?

For what?

He didn't break any laws, and the UCMJ is silent on the issue.

They should consider it a lesson learned and move on. In other words: GROW UP!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 8:50:41 AM EDT
[#8]
zaphod...I can't agree more.  This fella didn't break any laws.  As far as I know, you can date as many woman as you want.  If he didn't try and swindle them out of money or wasn't married; I can't see what they can do to him.  

I think that these stupid spinsters are just mad that they weer made to look so pathetic that they want the satisfaction of him portrayed as doing something criminally wrong.  That way it will take the heat off of them.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:10:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
zaphod...I can't agree more.  This fella didn't break any laws.  As far as I know, you can date as many woman as you want.  If he didn't try and swindle them out of money or wasn't married; I can't see what they can do to him.  

I think that these stupid spinsters are just mad that they weer made to look so pathetic that they want the satisfaction of him portrayed as doing something criminally wrong.  That way it will take the heat off of them.  
View Quote

Granted, he probably did nothing criminal, but he's sure to see some civil suits...

Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:18:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Personally I don't think the army should get involved.   However the old phrase ..."behavior unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman..." comes to mind here.  Lawsuits for what?  Dating more than one chick online?   Oh hell our courts would be pleanty busy if they were able to pull this off.  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
“We are not a group of stupid, naïve women,” Sarah Calder, 33, told the Times. “We are bright, intellectual, professional women. I can’t tell you how much he wooed us with his words. He made us feel like [red]goddesses, fairy princesses, Cinderellas.[/red] We had all found our Superman, our knight in shining armor.”
View Quote

Always back to their childhood dreams of a fairytale life. Oh yes,.. these were definitely women of high intellect.[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Granted, he probably did nothing criminal, but he's sure to see some civil suits...

View Quote

Again, for what? Hurting their feelings?

Get real. Any sane judge (and therein lies the problem, no?) would quickly toss such a suit into the gutter where it belonged...
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:47:15 AM EDT
[#14]

“He wrote better than Yeats. He wrote better than Shakespeare. He totally intoxicated you with his feelings: ‘Oh, baby, I want to tell you how much I miss you.’ ‘I can’t wait to get home to you,’ ” Robin Solod, 43, told the Times.
View Quote

I don't remember Shakespeare using that many "Oh, baby"'s.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
"A soldier said he loved me, wanted to marry me and lied!" Wow if they Army takes that up, think of the class action lawsuits from little old ladies all across Britian, France, Germany, Holland etc?
View Quote

... and Australia, the Philippines, Korea, Vietnam - wherever soldiers, sailors or marines go, it's an age-old story.

Hell, probably some woman in Gaul went to a Roman centurion to complain about "Biggus Dickus" sleeping around on her.

So the guy was a dick to be stringing them all along, but legal punishment?  Get real.  

Did he even meet these women in person, much less sleep with them?  Was he already married?  Did he steal money from them?
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

[>:/] Call me crazy, that's not exactly in the same league as the Sonnets.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:38:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

[lol]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Those sonnets would be so much better with a few "oh babys", and "damn girl, you so fine".  
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey maybe he will teach Wave and Lordtrader how to write. Dang come to think of it I would like to read some of his letters or better yet some of the letters he got back!!!Yikes[^]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:51:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmm.. the guy has a muslim name....guess he wanted to have the harem that the muslims in muslim countries are allowed to have!!

He didn't break any laws, just hearts, and personally, oh well. Women have been doing that kind of crap to men also.

I hope that the Amry drops the investigation.
But the use of the satphone and DOD computers in the matter might get him phucked.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
      “We are not a group of stupid, naïve women,” Sarah Calder, 33, told the Times.
View Quote

I beg to disagree.

-Troy
View Quote

I don't think you need to beg on this one.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#24]
What a lucky (before he got caught [:D]), SOB!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hell hath no furry like a woman scorned...

I've heard of covering your bases, but sheesh, 50 women...  what was this guy thinking?
View Quote

Thinking really big!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:35:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Did these women even meet him???  I mean physically in person see him?!!  Don't see any criminal doings there anyways.  Not like he was asking for money or anything.  Plus, since when did agreeing to get married become a legal contract?!!!  I think they were just wanting the money a soldier gets for having a wife and the ability to say they married a "war hero".  Dumb broads!     [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 7:37:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Those women should read Judge Judy's book, "Beauty Fades, But Dumb Is Forever".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top