Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/8/2003 4:57:45 AM EDT
[img]http://inquirer.philly.com/packages/somalia/art/1211/Mogo22.jpg[/img]
Caption Reads: Hassan Yassin Abokoi wears Michael Durant's helmet, which he found when Durant's helicopter was shot down in Mogadishu. Next to him is Ifiyah Mohamed.

Anyone want to take a trip?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:13:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Um why does it piss you off? I understand what happend and all that but as far as i can tell from the caption this guy did nothing but pick up  a helmet he found on the ground.  
But other than that I'm free when we going?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:15:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That's OK.  Statistics say aids will get his ass and that's a nice long slow painful way to go.
View Quote

A .50 cal hole where his face used to be would be best but Aids is OK I guess.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:18:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm free when we going?
View Quote

10-03-03?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:36:58 AM EDT
[#5]
anniversary  party? Ok so how we gettin there? better yet what toys should i bring....
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:55:16 AM EDT
[#6]
war souvenir.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:41:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
anniversary  party? Ok so how we gettin there? better yet what toys should i bring....
View Quote

I'll bring the cool ranch doritos!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:49:22 AM EDT
[#8]
But an american GI who wants to take home an AK from an Iraqi killed in battle should be allowed his "trophy"?  What's the difference?

Grow up guys - it's not he's wearing a necklace made of ears or anything. (Then he'd have to die)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Well than since the chips are handled and we're all bringing our own guns, whos going to bring the smokes and beer? Any ATF agents in the house? We need beer n' smokes here!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
But an american GI who wants to take home an AK from an Iraqi killed in battle should be allowed his "trophy"?  What's the difference?

Grow up guys - it's not he's wearing a necklace made of ears or anything. (Then he'd have to die)
View Quote

Grow up guys? Wait a second there was only one person who said that pic ticked them off, see now we are just talking about taking a vacation and bringing a few personal security accessories.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

he's not one of us

Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

he's not one of us

View Quote

Its like rubbing salt in a wound. It just reminds me of what our guys went through over there. I blame Clinton more than any somolie. They where fighting for there home/way of life. I would do the same. Its no different than WWII or Civil war items. It just burns my butt to see that smug grin with that helmet on his head. Think of the way the Delta who died so that Durrant chould live. This F'er was there even if he didnt help(if his story is true). He was probably throwing rocks though.

(Yes Im buthcering the english language today, sorry)
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well said.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
They where fighting for there home/way of life.
View Quote

Actually, they were fighting to maintain their monopoly on the food, the power, and the khat.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:16:59 AM EDT
[#15]
General Aideed may have been fighting to preserve a monopoly, but the average Abdul was fighting 'cause he was a Somali, and that's what Somalis do.

In regard to the AIDS reference above, I believe that AIDS is not epedemic in Somalia.  They have a pretty closed society as far as sex goes.  Now farther south in Africa...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#16]
If you think that pic pisses you off, read Michael Durant's book, [b]In the Company of Heroes[/b]. Specifically pages 42-43 (when he was initially captured). It'll really get your blood boiling....
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 8:55:29 AM EDT
[#17]
It pisses me off TOO.

I wish the helmet had 1oz of c4 in it that could be set off by remote. I would push the damn button myself.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Yeah...It could be said that he just found it and picked it up.  But after looking at the numbers, seems like everyone in Mog was against our guys and trying to kill him.  I would be willing to bet that he played a part in killing some of our guys.  Even if he did just find it.....He might not be innocent.....just less guilty.

Already packed...when do you ship out?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 11:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]
I cant stand somalis.

Operation United Shield 94-95, USS Essex
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#20]
It would piss me off more if Michael Durant wasnt home and living well.

Read his new book.  Reading that and Blackhawk Down reminds you that even the movie was tame compared to what really happened.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell why go to somalia...... He's probably living here in the states now![rolleyes]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 12:35:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hell why go to somalia...... He's probably living here in the states now![rolleyes]
View Quote

[:D]   Very nice!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 1:11:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Yeah...It could be said that he just found it and picked it up.  But after looking at the numbers, seems like everyone in Mog was against our guys and trying to kill him.  I would be willing to bet that he played a part in killing some of our guys.  Even if he did just find it.....He might not be innocent.....just less guilty.

View Quote

What if he's a militaria collector, and some asshole reporter asked him to put on the helmet?

How would he be different from all those guys at gunshows that buy nazi memorabilia?  Or people with huge WW-II collections?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.  I've lived in Africa, and the only way I'm going back is if my old infantry platoon is at my back [;)]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:39:36 PM EDT
[#24]
In Durant's book it shows him wearing an SPH-4 helmet with a single shield NVG visor. Mohammed there seems to be wearing a dual shield setup. I'd be willing to bet he bought it off ebay.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#25]
He should list it on ePay.  It will probably fetch a hefty sum and be back in the states.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
In Durant's book it shows him wearing an SPH-4 helmet with a single shield NVG visor. Mohammed there seems to be wearing a dual shield setup. I'd be willing to bet he bought it off ebay.
View Quote

Its a dual visor NVG visor cover. Just one of the knobs are missing. You can see both tracks.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Looks like a good place for a future Bulletfest!! [banana]
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Don't be pissed at him, be pissed at Clinton for putting our troops there.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I hope you guys dont go postal on the Nazi colectors at the fun show, you know the Nazi stuff killed some of our guys...

AND...

I can buy that same exact helmet at the Surplus store...

And [b]anything[/b] else Uncle Sugar has in the NSN supply chain...I would like to see more than a helmet to know he had something to do with butchering one of [b]MY[/b] soldiers...
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:19:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Its a dual visor NVG visor cover. Just one of the knobs are missing. You can see both tracks.

Aviator
View Quote

Ummm, that's what I said. Sammy has a dual visor SPH-4 and Mr Durant is wearing a single visor helmet in his photo from Somalia. Unless Sammy ran down to the ALSE shop and had the visor swapped out I don't think that is Durant's helmet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
...I would like to see more than a helmet to know he had something to do with butchering one of [b]MY[/b] soldiers...
View Quote

So a confession isnt good enough?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#32]
It's a helmet.

And the guy who was wearing it(Durant)is still alive.
If you want to get yours jaws tight about something go review the footage of our guys corpses being dragged through the streets of Mogadishu on CNN.
Link Posted: 6/9/2003 7:41:41 AM EDT
[#33]
And yes, this IS me saying this, why don't we just Arc-Light Mogadishu and turn it into a big o'l Bbq pit for a safari hunting restaurant? And I am not kidding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top