Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/5/2003 5:07:59 PM EDT
I'm looking for background info for a letter to editor concerning 1994 AWB. My local rag posted an editorial in favor of not only continuing the ban, but actually expanding on it. I've found a lot of material concerninging weapons themselves, but so far I can't find anything written about the high capacity magazine part of the bill. Any help or links or articles much appreciated. [url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 5:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 5:15:29 PM EDT by nightstalker]
The High Capacity Magazine Ban: Also part of the 1994 Crime Bill was a ban on [b]newly-manufactured detachable magazines (aka "clips") which hold more than 10 rounds.[/b] The ban also was supposed to apply to tubular magazines which do not detach from the magazine and hold ammunition other than .22 rimfires. However, an exception has been effected for tubular magazines on lever action centerfire rifles. For example, you can legally buy Winchester 94s in .45 Colt which hold more than 10 rounds, and which were made after 9/94. Penalties for Violating the AWB or the High Capacity Magazine Ban: If you get caught violating either law, you are subject to a $5,000 fine and/or up to 5 years in prison. Since this is a felony, you also lose your right to ever again own a firearm, unless you can get the right back from a court (which is not likely). In conclusion, regardless of their Constitutionality or effect on crime, it is in your best interests as a gun owner to understand the provisions of the 1994 AWB and high capacity magazine ban.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:21:37 PM EDT
thanks nightstalker. is it legal to buy/sell/own [b]imported[/b] mags with a capacity more than 10 rnds? Just thinking out loud now, I see them at gun shops & on the web. Orilite from Israel for example.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:39:40 PM EDT
Originally Posted By philsAR: thanks nightstalker. is it legal to buy/sell/own [b]imported[/b] mags with a capacity more than 10 rnds? Just thinking out loud now, I see them at gun shops & on the web. Orilite from Israel for example.
View Quote
Yes, that is perfectly legal. Mags that are illegal are marked "LEO/Export only" on them. If your mags don't say that, then don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:53:47 PM EDT
So, not only is the AWB ineffective for the firearms it is also ineffective in the magazine part. In short, it is not illegal to have one or import one, just illegal to make new ones here in US. What a freakin joke. I can't believe the way this whole thing is playing out in the press.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 6:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/5/2003 7:09:57 PM EDT by Andreuha]
So does that mean I can buy and import a box of new 30-rounder's on a trip overseas? Do I need a license to import?
Top Top