Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2003 4:56:47 AM EDT
Yesterday I found a trojan (Owmngr.exe)and (ttps.exe)in my system and it was screwing everything up. I noticed that  Icouyldn't open programs and got the message that there wasn't enough memory to run ANYTHING. I got into msconfig, unchecked Owmngr and rebooted. I then went into the add/remove software from the control panel and deleted both the owmnger and ttps.exe files. Rebooted the computer and it still slowly drains it's memory. Anyone know what to do to fix this? TIA!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:06:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this message board:
[url]http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=6443&s=8a6a8846530f82afb6a5e107254ed5a2[/url]

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:11:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that's where  Ifound out waht the hell the file was and where it was hidden. Now I need to figure out why my 'puter isn't rebuilding it's memory.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:15:01 AM EDT
[#3]
What anti-virus are you running and is it up to date? My brother-in-law had 5 different viruses on his PC. One of them was disabling McAfee.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 5:38:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:27:09 AM EDT
[#5]
BTB It [I]should[/I] be up to date but I'll have to check that. Spybot S&D found some stuff yesterday before I waxed it. I erased all the shit it found too. BTW it found more than AdAware.

TBS,

Thanks I'll look at those too.
EDIT yep, virus scan is up to date...persuing other options now...
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Okay now I'm getting pissed! [:(!]

I ran msconfig uesterday and disabled "Owmngr.exe" from the startup folder in order to delete it from my system. I deledted it yesterday (still in my recycle bin).

Today I just restarted my computer in safe mode, defragged the HD and rebooted it. Guess what, I hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and the M#@*$# F*&#@_ is THERE AGAIN! Grr, if I even find the sorray sack of shit that designed that progrean I'll cut his nuts off.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok, did you search the registry for the file? I only recommend this as a last resort. If you are not comfortable messing with the registry, don't. If you are comfortable, search and delete all instances of owmngr.exe. I have done zero research on this file so I am just generalizing. It could be a boot sector virus loading up also. You would need a clean boot disk to get around that.

I will look it up right now.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:10:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I just checked into this...a spyware forum suggested d/ling "spybot - search and destroy" to remove this and other progs. I have not used this software, adaware has worked for me.

Hope this helps.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:24:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Have you run a virus check?  Are your virus definitions up to date?  Norton Anti-virus detected & quarantined a trojan on my daughters computer when she came home from college this summer.  If that doesn't work try a trojan program.  Several programs offer trial periods (usually 30 days).  Download one or two and see if they can fix your problem.
TDS-3 and Trojan Hunter (which I have used) are both available on a trial basis.  TDS-3 is top rated (see the link).  Others are also available on download.  If that doesn't fix your problem, try posting a question over at Wilders.org.  They should be able to tell you what to do.  I'm including several links for reviews, downloads and forum.  Use it if you wish.  Good luck!

http://www.firewallguide.com/anti-trojan.htm
http://www.misec.net/trojanhunter.jsp
http://www.diamondcs.com.au/?hop=fwguide.diamondcs
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php

Wilder's is a multi-facuet security board, so search for what you specifically need, but they do have "trojan" specific boards/threads.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:29:31 AM EDT
[#10]
try ad-aware 6.0 from lavasoft too- gets rid of crap
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
I use both Spybot and AdAware.  Each gets what the other misses.  I give both a strong recommendation.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Not only do you have a memory problem but the virus is also destroying your spelling[:)]

SGtar15
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:09:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I use both AdAware and Spybot as well, however I believe these programs are mainly designed for spyware/ad ware, not Trojans or viruses.  Both are good at what they do (Spybots may be a "little" better, based on what I've read).

However for viruses I would recommend Norton, McAfee or F-Secure.  

For Trojans:  TDS-3, BOClean, Trojan Hunter or Pest Patrol, again, based on what I've read, especially the first two.  Currently I'm using Trojan Hunter on a trial basis but plan on getting BOClean or TDS-3.  Has anyone used either of these programs?  I would be interested in your opinion.  Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top