Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 5:31:04 PM EDT
What is the difference between the standard trigger on my Bushy vs a two stage... Is it worth it and what will I notice as a difference if and when I buy and install one?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:36:21 PM EDT
[#1]
The two stage trigger will let you take up most of the trigger pull and stop before you fire.  That way you can verify that you are on target and just have to move the trigger a very tiny bit to get it to fire.  This reduces any jerking that might occure.  

Get the Jewel trigger as it is an adjustable two stage trigger.  I'm very happy with mine.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
The excellent one you can't find is a Milazzo or Milazzo-Krieger or something like that.

Probably the best 'bargain' in a two-stage AR trigger is the Rock River Arms two sage trigger. If you want something better but still economical, buy a tweaked RRA from Holinger. (spelling?)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Some will no doubt complain that a two-stage trigger makes it more difficult to kill hundreds of innocent civilians by spraying from the hip. As the VPC has pointed out on many occasions, though, the presence of a bayonet lug alone would negate this restriction.
cynic
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some will no doubt complain that a two-stage trigger makes it more difficult to kill hundreds of innocent civilians by spraying from the hip.
View Quote

Now that you mention it I was not able to bump fire my AR with the Jewel trigger.  The pull was set too light and the 4lb lead weight in the buttstock reduced the recoil.  Of course I probably shouldn't have been trying to bumpfire my competition rifle anyway.

But I'm sure the anti's won't have any problem complaining about the "hair trigger" that can go off at any moment, or the light weight trigger that a 1 year could pull and empty all 30 rounds into family members.  If you can describe it the anti's will try to ban it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#6]
What do I want it for?? I HATE the feel of the stock trigger on the bushy. feels kinda stiff and what is the best way to describe it.... It feels... "CREEKY" If I can describe it that way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What do you want it for? Most two stage triggers are for target shooting, probably not what you want in a [s]fighting[/s] excuse me [b]defensive[/b] gun.
View Quote

The M1 Garand and some other military rifles have 2 stage triggers.  Wasn't the M1 "the greatest military implement every devised"?

The RRA 2 stage seems very suitable for a defensive weapon - no small parts to break or come loose.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:21:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the RRA 2 stage trigger and I can bump the heck out of that rifle, 30rnds in about 3 seconds give or take.
I am with you DrFrige, creeky is a great way to describe it, not at all smooth.
With the 2 stage trigger there is a little creekiness in the first stage but who cares? it is the second stage that makes the boom and it doesn't take much to set that second stage off. If you dont like the way it is stock, you can always trim down that second stage a little to make it set off easier. For me the Jewell was just too expensive for what I would get.

gilfrd

edited to say... go for the RRA 2 stage, I doubt you will be disappointed. You can get them just about anywhere for 90 bucks +/-. Try EE first.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Two stage triggers were once standard items for military rifles.  This design allows for a positive sear engagement and safe trigger pull while providing for an accurate, consistent trigger pull.

When the first stage is taken up, the trigger finger balances the force.  With training, this fist stage feels like nothing but is actually 3-5 pounds of pull.  The remaining pull, 1-2 pounds, stacks up with the 3-5 pounds to make a 4-7 pound pull that feels like a 1-2 pound pull.

Its obiviously better than a 5-7 pound single stage but not as good as a 1-2 pound pull for real target use.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 8:41:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a Jewell two-stage in my AR, and love the thing.  Total pull weight is in the 3-4 pound range.  Clean and crisp, no "crunchies".

But not cheap.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 1:22:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Thread from last December on 2-stage triggers:
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=146286[/url]
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:16:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Two stage triggers from my experience

Bushmaster-knockoff of Compass Lake Engineering but not as good.

CLE-OK but finicky...Frank is working on a new one

RRA-best for the buck, especially if adjusted by John Holliger aka Gasgunner and White Oak Precision

Stoner-good when you can find them

MK-great when proper set up

Jewell-decent to good, but pricy

Two stage triggers are common on competition service rifles that must lift a 4.5 lb weight without firing.  By loading up the weight on the 1st stage (3.5-4 lbs) your second stage will go off when you want it to.

If you want a decent single stage, talk to Derrick Martin at AccuracySpeaks in Mesa AZ.

HTH....SRM
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a Jewell two-stage in my AR, and love the thing.  Total pull weight is in the 3-4 pound range.  Clean and crisp, no "crunchies".

But not cheap.
View Quote

I've got a Jewell in my match gun. Installed it myself. Bought it from Tommy, GA Precision.
I LOVE it. It's set up 1st stage:3.5 lbs, 2nd stage:1 lb for a total of 4.5 lbs as required by CMP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top