Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2003 1:23:37 PM EDT
A bunch of us got togeather saturday night for a party to see of a good friend of ours, who is moving away. The party was great, we had sort of a roast for the guy.  The next day, after cleaning up the mess, My buddy (different one) and his wife of less than a year went for a ride on their harleys. After having lunch togeather, they split up- him going to meet up with us, and her to meet her cousins for a movie. She never made it. Apparently a guy in a pickup crossed the highway, and turned in front of her. she was killed instantly-on inpact.
She was a great person, and a great friend to me and my family.
I'm a biker too, And I just want to let all you other bikers know to be careful out there, because there are some serious idiots out there.
The trooper who gave us the news said that it looked like he came over so quick that she probably did not see it until it was too late. She never even had time to hit her brakes. He also said that although she was not wearing a helmet or leather, it would not have made any difference due to the nature of the crash.

The truck driver, who was unhurt, was found to be at fault. Charges are pending.

I rode my bike in to work today, sort of my own way of dealing with it.

I really feel for her husband, who is also a good friend. After getting out of the Navy, he came home to her, his childhood sweetheart. They dated for several years, while he established himself, getting a teaching degree, then a job at the local Junior high. Last year his mother died after a long bout with cancer. Three months later his father died suddenly of cancer as well. He took care of them both. They then finally got married last summer, and moved into his parents old house.
Can a guy's life suck any worse? it just doesn't seem fair.

Seems like we had a going away party for the wrong person.  The only saving grace was that we all hadn't been togeather in several months, and we had a great reunion prior to the accident.  
I hope that truck driver realizes what he's done.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I & wife's thoughts & prayers are with you.  I cafe raced in the bay area mountains in the early '70's.  Lost 9 buddies that I can remember, maybe one or 2 more that I can't.  The trouble is not with the riders, it's the idiots in cars.  I saw my number coming, maybe...ended up getting off the street & into the dirt since then.  I've still broken a bone or 2.

-hanko
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:34:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I am sorry about the loss of your friend.
My condolences.

ARH
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#3]
I am sorry to hear of your loss. My prayers are with you.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:35:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#5]
My deepest condolences crumabn at the loose of a dear friend.

Some bike riders look down on those that don't ride the same thing.

I feel there is only one type of motorcycle rider...we are [u]all[/u] TARGETS.

May God bless her into His arms and comfort her family and friends.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Condolences from my Wife and I.........We both ride a lot and have had our fair share of close calls!!.............I know all Bikers have to keep an extra eye out for the 4 wheel vehical drivers...........Live Free and Ride..........Bro!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks everyone.
I think Walt (the husband) may very well ride off into the sunset. time will tell, but she was really the only thing keeping him here. He builds drag racing bikes for a hobby, and has a brother up in michigan that owns a shop. I won't be surprised if he heads that way. Either way, I'm here for him.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:03:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Under the present laws here in SC a person who changes lanes & creams a biker get a ticket for "failure to yield" or some other nonsense.  That's pitiful.  They take somebody else's life through negligence and get a ticket for around $100.  Fortunately, that may change soon.  ABATE of SC has lobbied hard to get legislation that will provide stiff penalties for cagers who violate a biker's right-of-way.  I'd advise all riders to become a member of your state's Motorcycle Rights Organization.  The only people looking out for us is ourselves.

Be safe out there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:50:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry for your loss.

I lost my best friend a year ago.

I miss her every day.

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 10:57:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry for the loss...

[:(]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm truly sorry to hear that your friend was killed.

I personally feel that that motorcycles can be potentially very dangerous and you have to ride them being super, super alert. I have a friend and a niegbhor who came very close to getting killed in motorcyle and car collisions. In one collision a 90+year old woman turned infront of my niegbhor, knocked him off his bike and his leg was in a cast for 6 months. To this day he must walk with the aid of cane, and he limps.

My buddy, was just stopped in the right hand lane wait for the light to change. He was rear-ended by a automobile driven by a young woman. My friend was knock 20 feet into the air and he landed on his chest and skidded another 10. He nearly died. To this day he has bits of sand and asphalt coming out of his chest.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]
[:(]  Sorry to hear the news.  I can only begin to imagine the heartache your buddy is feeling right now.  I know you are helping your buddy through all of this.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats gut-wrenching stuff man. Im glad all of you could be together at the end at least. True friends are rare and priceless.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Sorry to hear that man.  Lot's of bikers here, we are sharing your sorrow.  Please look after the husband!  Will be praying today...
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Man I'm sorry and I feel your pain.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry for you loss.

I ride as well and have had a few close calls....

.....sorry my friend.

-HS
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:31:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Real sorry to hear that. My deepest condolences to you and your freind.
Make sure you don't let him feel like he's left all alone in this world.

The best people die young, as they have already proven themselves worthy of Heaven.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:52:41 PM EDT
[#20]
... Sorry for your loss [b]crumabn[/b]. That is very rough, I know, I lost two close friends on their Harleys over the years.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:01:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry for your loss.....

t
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#22]
My condolences and prayers.
BIG
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#24]
sorry to hear that, the problem is most drivers do not see bikers. why? they are few and far between, they are also far smaller of vehical than we normally see, we see far more pedal bikers than motorbikes. which unfortunatly leads to the incorrect judgement of what they are riding, and hence the speed. i have missed a biker before but luckily he was able to dodge into the next lane, i would have been at fault if he hit my car as he was going what looked like the speed limit.

once again, sorry to hear of the loss. its almost morbid but the only good thing is the death was instant, not prolonged with dozens of shattered bones.

I had a friend go the slow way, was hard to see.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:47:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Again Guys,
I just got home from the funeral.  We had two visitations yesterday, closed casket. Walt is doing as best as can be expected. Over 300 people showed for the visitations, and the church was so full today that people were standing in the isles and in the back of the church. This girl was definately well loved. I had the honor of being the head pallbearer, which helped a lot. Her bike club came in as a HUGE parade (over 50 harleys) and shook the ground. It was nice. They also followed directly behind the hearse in the procession. It was a sight.  It's still hard to believe she's gone.  I've lost friends in combat, and in accidents, but this one seems so different. I can't seem to find any reason for it, spiritually. We also visited the scene of the accident. It was sort of healing to go there, since to me that is where she left us, not at the church or at the cemetary.  There were tons of Daisies growing there, which was her favorite flower. In fact they put her in a dress with daisies.
I also found out that sunday morning, she left Me and my wife a note, telling us to be careful.

I'll miss the girl.

BTW. Since no drugs/alcohol were involved, the driver is being cited with failure to yeild.
I've got mixed emotions on that.  on the one hand I think he should pay for what he's taken from us, but on the other it wasn't intentional or malicious. just a 55yr old man, who like most drivers, brain  has been conditioned to look for CARS not bikes.

Thanks for listening.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:13:49 PM EDT
[#26]
My condolences to you and your friend.  If there is one thing that brings everyone together it is the loss of friend. A suggestion that you share these messages with your friend, at least most of them.   May God be with all who knew her.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Jesus, man, I heard about that on the radio the other day. My condolences.

My old man just got rid of his Harley. Too many close calls and my uncle got into a pretty bad wreck on his last year. Its a damn shame, but its getting really dangerous to ride out there anymore. There's just way too many people out there that shouldn't be behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 10:12:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
on the one hand I think he should pay for what he's taken from us
View Quote

Oh, he will.  He has to live with the knowledge that he's responsible for someone's death.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 3:00:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
its almost morbid but the only good thing is the death was instant, not prolonged with dozens of shattered bones.

View Quote

I don't think it's morbid at all. One thing helping us through all this is knowing that she felt no pain.

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top