Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2003 1:48:01 AM EDT
Hello to all the US servicemen on active duty or retired and my special gratitude to the gallant men who took part in the controversal war in Vietnam.

I have recently bought an M17A1 mask for $70.
The brown carton box containing the mask and it's canvas bag reads:
A-1A-8X May 1972
cure date Dec 1968
Lot no 2011-95-2134R
Filter lot 2028-95-1055

It came with the 2 side filters already attached.
My questions are:
- Are the filters still effective and how do they fit on the mask?
- What do these filters protect the wearer from?
- Can I find other types of filters for different protections.
- What is the 2" diameter perforated disk for (I can see the light thru some of the holes).
- What should I add to the present system in order to drink with the mask on?
- Can I enhance communication when I talk?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
LRRPS.

Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
View Quote

It came with the 2 side filters already attached.
My questions are:
- Are the filters still effective and how do they fit on the mask?

You say attached and you say how do they fit.

M17 filters fit inside the cheek pouches. They will not be seen from the outside.

You may want to read [url=http://www.atsc.army.mil/itsd/comcor/cm1036s.htm]here[/url] and [url=http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dll/fm/3-4/Ch1.htm]here[/url] and [url=http://www.nofuture.com/lmag/articles/m17/m17.htm] here[/url].

- What do these filters protect the wearer from?

Due to age, and especially if they are out of the original packaging, little if anything, CS at best, no NBC qualities at all.

- Can I find other types of filters for different protections.

While there are some filter available, again, due to age few offer any NBC protection.

- What is the 2" diameter perforated disk for (I can see the light thru some of the holes).

There are small disks which go inside (whiteish) and larger ones (black) which go on the outside.

- What should I add to the present system in order to drink with the mask on?

If you have the A1/A2, it has a drinking tube, you only need a canteen with a adapter cap.

- Can I enhance communication when I talk?

What you hear is what you get.

The only reason I have any 17's left is because I was trained on them, know the system well, perform constant PMCS to insure they are serviceable, have spare parts, and have them stashed [b]ONLY[/b] as a means to get to my M40's. These masks are old, serviceable filters are hard to come by, and even sealed ones are risky at best.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:48:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah bud,I have to agree with CavVet,he's pretty much right on par! I found the same things out when I went searching for info on some filters I have for my M17.They are pretty much useless for anything but CS,and I keep mine around as a last ditch,"company happened to be at my house" type of thing. If you are serious about NBC protection,your only choice is to buy a current gasmask. I don't know alot about most of the ones I've seen,but in the new F.A.C. catalog,they have one that is NBC certified for only $26.95!

Buy the way,if your filters are OD green,at least they are or(were) NBC rated at one time,if the filters are black,they are the "practice" filters,and were only rated for CS at best!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top