Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2016 9:31:27 PM EDT
I used to live in nc, which is a duty to declare state.  Menaing, you must declare you are armed and have a chp ( im sure it comes up when plates are run anyway) when pulled over.

Va has no such law. No duty to declare (as I understand it)  

I'm curious. Do those of you in non-required states still do so? Im not sure how I feel about it.  There was a time, when I would have not had a second thought about it. Law or not. Now I'm not so sure.

I wouldn't lie if asked, but I'm not so sure I'm willing to volunteer information any more.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
... I don't volunteer information
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:32:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:33:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

+1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep your mouth shut and your weapon out of sight.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe the only thing it would do is make the officer nervous, so I don't volunteer that info.

Think about it:  The tone of a traffic stop is set within the first few seconds of the conversation with the officer.  Do you really think it is helpful to set the tone right off the bat with "I have a gun!!!!"
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to-was told "You don't have to inform an officer if pulled over, but if he pulls you back to his car it's recommended to tell him you legally have a gun". After current events, an IA sheriff went on TV and made it a point to say notification is not necessary, so I'm not going to bother.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

Why would you?  I don't even know how that could possibly improve the interaction.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:47 PM EDT
[#9]
I do when I travel out of state.  Cops hate surprises.

All the rest of my shit his in order so I don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
No duty to declare in New York. I have done it a couple times. Once the cop was like, "Don't show me yours and I won't show you mine."

Other times I just let it go.

No bad experiences either way.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:35:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1

Why would you?  I don't even know how that could possibly improve the interaction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Idiots in GD who think that by volunteering that info, the cop will instantly know you're a good guy, and will stand around to chat about guns instead of giving you a ticket.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
STFU.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:36:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

+1

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

Personal choice and it never made it go South. Your attitude and demener toward a cop goes a long way to how that stop goes.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#15]
STFU. Never invite the man into your life.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:36:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I STFU and let Ponch and Jon do the speaking.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:37:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't volunteer that info. If he asks me, ill be honest though.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:37:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't get pulled over. Waze FTW
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
No.  

I asked my CWP instructor (retired HP) about this. His response was that when he pulled anyone over he always assumed they had a gun.  He said to not say anything unless asked. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Right, so I'm on the right track here.

I feel the same way. Nc its (generally accepted) that its the law and you must.

Frankly I dont feel like volunteering info any more.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Not required in MT, but it shows you have one if popo runs your plate.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:38:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Nope but I turn the car off, put my hands in clear sight, address the officer,deputy or trooper by their title and announce every move. At night, dome light comes on and so do the hazards.

I figure they get the hint at that point. No reason to have them fumbling with any loaded weapons. Theirs or mine. If they ask, a simple yes along with where they are without removing my hands from the steering wheel.

Could be why I've never gotten a ticket as well?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:39:28 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't give the cops a bunch of crap. They don't want me to be the guy who is has a gun on him when they find out I have warrants or suspended licence or whatever, which I don't.  I'm very cooperative, they always say they very much appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:39:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Not required in MT, but it shows you have one if popo runs your plate.
View Quote

Out of state permit solves that problem.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Last time I got stopped, I knew every infraction I was stopped for before he turned on the lights. All shit I'd been meaning to get fixed, but living walking distance to work, I rarely drive.

I handed him my carry permit with my DL, and despite everything wrong with my car, he let me go with a warning. Never said a word about the permit. I'd imagine based on bumper stickers he assumed I would have a gun, so I figured it was worth a shot that he was pro CCW, and would let me slide.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:41:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

There was a drunk trap outside my work a few weeks ago. Late night. No choice. Went thru, license checked, etc.

If I was in nc, legally I would have had to declare. Since this was va, I declined to. I was waved thru. Havent been pulled over in years, but it got me to thinking. Different state, different chp, different rules.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Fpni

I've had both retard disarm and disassemble and get off ticket. I'd rather just get the ticket.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:41:51 PM EDT
[#29]
We have a duty to inform but I never do, and I will never apologize for that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

No.  

I asked my CWP instructor (retired HP) about this. His response was that when he pulled anyone over he always assumed they had a gun.  He said to not say anything unless asked. YMMV.
View Quote

I've been told that by several LEOs. They have also said that's one way you know how much "seasoning" a cop has had. The ones fresh out of the academy are playing 20 questions while the vets have already made some solid assumptions based on their observations and have already formulated a plan of action.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#31]
I think Honesty is the better policy...

Just tell him - While keeping hands on the wheel at 10 & 2  "Officer, just so we don't have any "misunderstandings" that would bed bad for us both, I have a license to carry in my wallet and my Pistol holstered on my right - what would you like me to do?   ....

I've never had an officer give me flak because I told him the truth and I most likely skated a few tickets because I did the right thing.

Don't know how I'd feel if the Police asked to "Temporarily hold" the gun for the duration of the stop (people f'ing around on guns they don't know trying to find a safety or release a magazine while forgetting that a round is chambered are the easiest way to a AD / ND )

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:43:41 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not saying a fucking thing unless the officer explicitly and specifically asks.

They're twitchy enough already these days.  I don't need to draw the bad luck of being on the side of the road with Barney Fife and getting my ass ventilated by an incompetent paranoid idiot because they freak out.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

For sure, just did a trip from ft Lauderdale to Orlando and back last weekend. Waze saved my ass, there were multiple speed traps with fhp that I avoided.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Depends.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been pulled over a couple times.

Only once I didn't tell them.

I've found it's improved my interaction with cops.

(Complying with initial request.)

"Certainly officer. For your safety, and mine, I'd like to inform you I'm currently carrying a firearm, and am licensed to do so."

VA CCW is linked to DMV, so they probably already knew, but I've found they are more relaxed.

A relaxed cop is good for both parties.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:46:11 PM EDT
[#37]
In PA, no duty to inform. Simply being armed and licensed to do so, isn't a crime. Therefore, it should be business as usual.

How some of you want to sacrifice your liberty in the name of safety... well, thats your decision. You are simply conditioning yourselves to show your papers
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:46:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

This unless i need to give up the information I don't why, because when i do give up the information I have seen LEOs go from friendly people to anxious and mean. Many feel that they are the only ones who should be armed others feel that every CHP holder is out to get them, that some how as a law abiding citizen i have magically become a dangerous adversary. It means that you are most likely guaranteed a ticket even if without that information they would have given you a verbal warning.  Or perhaps now they feel the need to pull me out of the car and disarm me because i changed lanes without blinking where it would have been a simple use your blinker next time if they didnt know.

Now if they are going to see my weapon during the course of the stop for some reason i will tell them ahead of time because no one likes surprises
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:46:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

+2 hand over info, take ticket, see you in court.  I'm not here to play 20 questions.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The only time I can picture saying something if you don't have to is if the officer might spot the pistol and panic. But I've never had a police officer notice I was carrying.
View Quote

I will slightly modify my previous answer to say that if I was open carrying where the officer might see it, I would inform the officer (while keeping hands at 10 and 2 on the steering wheel.  Better he hear it from me first than see it first.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Does not come up because I don't get pulled over.  But if I did nothing volunteer, it would take 30 seconds after running my d/l to see that I had a chl.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Lips are zipped!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:48:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Both times that I have been stopped since getting my chl, I have let the trooper know.

Both times I have gotten off with just a warning and a Thank You for letting him know.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:48:59 PM EDT
[#45]
FPNI
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Of course not. Nope.

I've been pulled over and had one on the hip, one in the back seat and one in the glove box.

It's why I keep my insurance and registration in the visor. Never have to open or move anything to get it.

Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:51:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Idiots in GD who think that by volunteering that info, the cop will instantly know you're a good guy, and will stand around to chat about guns instead of giving you a ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

That has actually happened twice with TX state troopers.

Didn't work out as well with a, uh, less professional local police officer from a known problem department, however.

Texas is a "must inform" state (unless that changed since my last update), and I've told police I have a CHL every time I've been asked for ID for any reason. Nobody's ever had a problem with it except for that one guy who got antsy and as he put it "ah like to be the only one with a guuun." Also got disarmed in Alabama by an AL state trooper who was riding my bumper for two miles (I think they were looking for somebody because they had cruisers EVERYWHERE and someone stopped almost every mile and a half) and pulled me over for "weaving" when I changed lanes to get extra distance from another traffic stop that was really close to the right lane. Got disarmed and got to hang out in his front seat for half an hour while I got interrogated to death about everything under the sun before he finally gave up, gave me a warning for "weaving" and let me go.

Dealing with Texas state police, county sheriff's deputies, and the Houston PD has always been positive or at worst courteous.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I hear it's best to just hold it up so they can see it!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#49]
In Texas we have a duty to declare, but they removed the penalty so its a toothless law.

I'm of the idea that cops hate surprises, and our CHL status shows when they run plates/license, so I would tell them. I haven't been stopped in a long time, since before I got a CHL, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Did it once here when I was pulled over.  OWB holster at 5'oclock up against my center console.

Wasnt reaching for my wallet without notifying the officer. He appreciated the heads up, but told me I didn't need to notify. Gave him the "Sounds good sir "

Still got a speeding ticket.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top