Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:08:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I happen to have a WRX wagon,,,it looks really friendly and goes really fast.  I have stomped the tar out of some pretty quick looking cars.   It will do 0-60 in the mid 5's , if you sleep you are in second place.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Dude, I've been dragracing for 15+ years...
Much of it was done in Philly on the street...

I've seen about every paired combination of cars you will find on the street.

If it was indeed a Buick turbo Regal, you would have had your asses handed to you if the guy wanted to embarrass you.

If he only stayed a few fenders in front of you, then he was sandbagging...

TRUST ME.

Those Turbo Regals will go easy 13's with the friggin A/C on and the radio turned up...

I'll never forget...

Years ago, a good buddy of mine was running an '89 Mustang LX notchback...
GT40 heads and intake, big NOS system, and a 5-speed...
He built a good streetable combination that ran 11.40's all day long on the juice, and 13-teens w/o...

He got paired up with a Buick GNX in front of the Philly Armory...

It was the last time he challenged a turbo GN.[:D]
The GNX driver made an ass out of him, and took $100 to boot.

9-second Regals are all over Philly...
Some go 8's

My Camaro was running 8.40's @ 160 last time I ran it down the track.

I've been beaten by "sleepers" too...
'78 Malibu with a 540 and a NOS Fogger comes to mind...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:33:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a 4 door 99 Olds Alero, 2.2L four banger, base model.  It's the second generation of the "Quad 4" motor, aluminum head 16 valve DOHC (around 160hp), and the car is light.  It is quicker than my ex's 2 door Dodge Avenger V-6....I couldn't believe it.  It is almost as quick as a friend's 2002 Prelude.  It's quick enough for me, and I've driven my share of 5.0 rustangs etc.  I mean, I was shocked at how quick it is for a cheap, base model 4 door sedan.  Probably pretty pedestrian for you guys, but I like it.  Shit, my 71 Skylark had a 350 Buick motor that made 135hp.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure if you covered this or not, since I didn't read all the replies...

Was it a 2-door Regal ? like a Grand national?

Or the newer 4door Regal ?

If it was the newer 4 door, then it would explain the close race.

I may have jumped the gun, assuming it was the faster 2dr car of yesteryear...
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 11:37:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not sure if you covered this or not, since I didn't read all the replies...

Was it a 2-door Regal ? like a Grand national?

Or the newer 4door Regal ?

If it was the newer 4 door, then it would explain the close race.

I may have jumped the gun, assuming it was the faster 2dr car of yesteryear...
View Quote

Art, the last generation of GS Buick's did have a 2 door model but most of them were 4.  A guy I work with had one.  Wish I could have bought it when he had it up for sale.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Dude, everyone knows that Rustangs are ASNG. All-Show No-Go. I especially like the convertible V6's that all the beach blanket bimbos drive around here. There are plenty of cars out there that could easily smoke a Pustang GT.

On the current model, I especially like the [b]TOTALLY FAKE[/b] hood scoop and the [b]TOTALLY FAKE[/b] air intakes behind the doors. DUMB!
View Quote

If you live in So-Cal I have a 67 and 88 Pustang you can run up at Palmdale if you would care to make a friendly wager.

I loved the T-Types/GN/GNX's vs. Mustangs races back around 1991.  My favorite car was Gene Deputy's "Texas Turbo" Mustang that had 3.25 gears in the rear with an auto trans and stock interior that ran low mid-10's.  The car had the biggest turbo I have ever seen and sounded like a jet engine at the starting line. The other biggies I liked back then were Brian Wolfe's 86 Mustang and Stormin Normans convertable mustang. Seemed from what I can remember the mustangs and Buicks broke even a lot in head to head racing. My personal experience was not quite as good. Racing at Carlsbad one summer in a Ford vs. Buick match I got smoked pretty good in my 84 mustang. Buicks hooked up so much better. I was all over the track at the start.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:28:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Look like this ?

[img]http://www.photoads.com/cars/used/buick/gifs/98bure.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:24:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Look like this ?

[url]http://www.photoads.com/cars/used/buick/gifs/98bure.jpg[/url]
View Quote

Yep, thats it!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Mustang Gts are pretty slow compared to today's cars.  I'll bet there are a lot of sedans out there nowadays that have more horsepower and TORQUE.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:14:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I've taken mustang GT's in my '03 Maxima before.  Of course, I have a the six-speed...and I'm pretty sure his was auto.  If he had stick...woulda been closer.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:28:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I picked up a 4 door 99 Olds Alero, 2.2L four banger, base model.  It's the second generation of the "Quad 4" motor, aluminum head 16 valve DOHC (around 160hp), and the car is light.  It is quicker than my ex's 2 door Dodge Avenger V-6....I couldn't believe it.  It is almost as quick as a friend's 2002 Prelude.  It's quick enough for me, and I've driven my share of 5.0 rustangs etc.  I mean, I was shocked at how quick it is for a cheap, base model 4 door sedan.  Probably pretty pedestrian for you guys, but I like it.  Shit, my 71 Skylark had a 350 Buick motor that made 135hp.
View Quote

Those Aleros are a lot of fun to drive.  I rented once for a longish road trip to a gun show and it was a hell of a lot of fun to drive.  I didn't want to return it to the rental agency.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:04:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I've personally smoked a porsche in my old 1989 toyota celica.  If you drive a stick 'n know how to use it it can be a definite advantage. [:)]
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've taken mustang GT's in my '03 Maxima before.  Of course, I have a the six-speed...and I'm pretty sure his was auto.  If he had stick...woulda been closer.
View Quote

That makes two of us, my Maxima loves nothing more than a good slice of GT horse meat for breakfast. Problem is that it just chews 'em up, but then spits 'em out!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#16]
We used to do alot of drag racing in highschool ack out in the country area with miles and miles of dead straight raods with no one around and we also had the midnight drags out at the speedway too.
One of my girlfriend had an 86 grand national that would usually low the doors off most cars easily, her dad dropped new motor or had work done on it for her constantly.
There were lots of little rich kids who would bring out there porsches and new mustangs, camaros and such but would almost always get put to shame buy the 86gn or a nice 69 camaro. One kid brought his delorean out and it didnt do well at all.
Wish i still had my 72 Chevelle, but some lady thought it was better off for her to slam into me head on and total it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:16:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Mr Lingenfelter has been tuning GM EFI V8s since the first MPFI motors... They produce a [b]750HP[/b] Vette upgrade... Talk about HP to spare...

That was my answer to the '$80-90K sportscar' thread...
View Quote

Yep, that twin turbo setup for the LS1 was simply awesome.  Car and Driver got one up to 226MPH on a test oval.  It doubles the price of the car, but what a blast!

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]
My brother had a Honda Accord that would tear shit up.  I don't know what he had but under the trunk looked way different from my stock Accord.  With enough money any thing can go really fast.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
One kid brought his delorean out and it didnt do well at all.
View Quote

Delorean's are dogs.  They're not powerful at all.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Check out the Infiniti M45 - 340 hp V8 - tops in its class (Lexus GS300, MB E- Class, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6, Lincoln LS) and except for the Lincoln, it's 10-15k cheaper than the rest!

BTW, it does 0-60 in 5.2 secs w/ the VDC (traction control) off, 5.5 - 5.7 w/ it on!

Seriously, check it out.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:44:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's called a "Sleeper".
View Quote

Or a "Q-ship" after the WW1 era cargo ships that concealed deck guns under fake cargo boxes to sucker U-boats to the surface (since torpedoes are $$$$ & limited in # compared to the U-boats deck gun shells).  U-boat surfaces to use their deck gun to sink the "cargo" ship, Q-ship crew waits until the U-boat crew is prepping the deck gun, then pops the quick release on the fake cargo boxes & blasts the U-boat with cannon fire.

A lot of "hot rod" guys like to build these.  Plain jane 4 doors, station wagons or luxery barges with serious engines under the hood.  Some will go as far as to disquise a nitrous oxide bottle as a fire extinguisher & run the nitrous lines _under_ the intake so even if you popped the hood nobody would notice anything was amiss. And run a hidden switch that converts the horn ring into the nitrous switch & a tach where the dashboard clock used to be.
Imagine a mid70's to mid80's Buick 225/Olds 98/Pontiac Bonneville/Caddy Sedan de Ville with a bored, cammed, nitroused 455 or 472/500 ci big block, running through a 4 muffler exhaust system to keep them silent.  "Here Mustang, Mustang....".  Wagons are even better from a traction point of view, not to mention they fly even further under radar.  Who is going to attract the cop's attention: the bright red Mustang GT/Chevy Z-28 with loud exhaust, hood scoop & mag wheels or the faded pea green/fake woodgrain 4-door grocery getter?
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#22]
When I was a kid a friend of my Dad's friends had a Tempest station wagon that would run high 12's. I thought that car was too cool. It was great to see the vette guys bet the big bucks and then get toasted by the grandma wagon.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:41:28 PM EDT
[#23]

Buick Regal GS??? Damn. I never would've guessed that. They must've modified the hell out of that car.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 10:58:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Best spanking I ever saw was my buddy racing his 1970 something ford pickup, 460 v/8 and real fast, against what appeared to be a lowered, primered, chevy s-10 pickup. We hit 110 on the interstate when he left us like we were standing still. Sounded like a jet taking off, I have NEVER seen something move that fast in my entire life. Turned out that it was a chevy cyclone pickup, that according to its owner (when we finally caught him, cause he let us) dynoed at a little over 500 horse. WOW

[x]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:07:19 AM EDT
[#25]
I need to step up in defense of the poor little mustangs!!!!!!  I'm runnin a 00 v6, and when I bought it I wasn't looking for something to own the quarter mile, I was looking for something that looked good and was fun to drive, and for the guy who mentione about the fake hood and side scoops, not everyone is runnin around with fakes on, I know of a couple of guys that actually turned the scoops in to functonal units, now I thought about doin that, but I decided to come up with something better.  I have a 4.2 L six sittin in my garage that was built up by a custom mustang shop down here in GA.  The engine already dynoed at 326 hp 289 lb/ft.  I'm just waiting on my vortech, and my T56 to come in, then I should have a pretty nice sleeper.

BTW it still looks stock the only thing different on the outside is a set of 00 GT 17" wheels on it because I broke 2 of the 15"s
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 12:31:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Hey don't be clowning on fake scoops.  Remember some of those Goats originally arrived with fake scoops.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 1:54:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

That makes two of us, my Maxima loves nothing more than a good slice of GT horse meat for breakfast. Problem is that it just chews 'em up, but then spits 'em out!
View Quote

Come get you some weakass "horse meat"

[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/198921/MVC-002S.JPG[/img]
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-5/198921/MVC-017S.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:11:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you see one of these, you may also get beat pretty  bad.

[url]http://ultra5.curvedspace.net/Audi/MVC-006F.JPG[/url]
View Quote

Saw the plates.  Where in ND do you live?  I've lived in Williston, Grand Forks, and Minot.  I actually like ND.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 2:23:57 AM EDT
[#29]
If you want to go fast get a Infinit G35 Coupe or Nissan Skyline R34 GT.  I'll see if I can find the video of a skyline dropping a gear at 100mph and smoking its tires.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#30]
I also have a quick question, If the mustang sucks so bad, why do a lot of people use it as the measuring stick?

Also if you guys want to see a cool vid look up Darius 240z  its a dautsn 240z w/ supercharged LT1 wheel dynoing at 660 hp
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#31]
lol.yeah i have seen a couple videos of that 240z it sounds wicked and runs great..it outruns a superbike i one video..also a stock mustang is pretty easy to beat,,i had a 99 NEON w/ nitrous and i would smoke em (mustangs) with ease, the looks on their faces is priceless..but ya take a couple grand and ya can make a mustang fast with gears, tires, intake and exhaust..
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:03:58 AM EDT
[#32]
1.  A Mustang GT is fucking SLOW!  Slow, handles like shit and is uncomfortable to boot.

2.  You might have met up w/ a Lancer EVO 7 or more likely a Subaru WRX.  Both are four door cars.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:13:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Sorry, just finished reading through ALL the posts.  I still don;t like Mustangs.

I do like the new COBRAs though!  IRS & a V8 w/ FI putting out 396 Hp!  Christ, now that is a car to have.  The interior seating position and switchgear is still VERY dated and uncomfortable!
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#34]
This Buick Regal GS ya'll speak so highly of, what year are you talking about?  From what I see the 2001 had 240 horse and "sprinted" to 60 in about 7 seconds.
I know the Grand National, but ya'll are talking about some "newer" GS that I've never heard of.  and if you mean the 2001, and it beat a mustang GT, then either the mustang driver can't drive (common problem) or the GS had been modified.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Two words: 2003 Cobra. There are hundreds of Cobra's pushing nearly 500RWHP on the stock supercharger with just a pulley swap and some very minor mods like cat-back exhaust. And since the engine is built with FORGED components, it can handle WAY more boost than the Eaton is capable of delivering (without melting down). So those who want SERIOUS HP change out the Eaton and throw on a KB supercharger. I've seen dyno's well over 700 HP on a KB unit and there are a number of Cobra's running 9.xx 1/4 ET's on an engine that has NEVER been apart. I think that is pretty friggin' impressive.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:16:06 AM EDT
[#36]
I stopped liking mustangs when they started putting V6's in them.

Putting a anything other then a V8 in a muscle car nolonger makes it a muscle car.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 7:33:01 AM EDT
[#37]
You're right. My '70 Dodge Challenger R/T wasn't a REAL muscle car. Never mind that 375HP 440 under the hood. It had a 6cyl engine option...
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top