Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
If they all hate us so much, how come they do everything they can to be like us (i.e., with McDonalds, blue jeans, hamburgers, cell phones, music, etc...)? Could it be that they disagree with some of our [b]policies and actions[/b] and don't have any real beef with American [b]people[/b]? They want to kill us all and destroy our culture, [b]and[/b] listen to Britany Spears?
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:57:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If they all hate us so much, how come they do everything they can to be like us (i.e., with McDonalds, blue jeans, hamburgers, cell phones, music, etc...)? Could it be that they disagree with some of our [b]policies and actions[/b] and don't have any real beef with American [b]people[/b]? They want to kill us all and destroy our culture, [b]and[/b] listen to Britany Spears?
View Quote
Don't read or watch the news much, do you? If the only beef they had was with our policies and actions, why were two civilian buildings, each containing thousands of people, targeted for destruction? Why did countless thousands of them celebrate the deaths of thousands of American civilians? Once again, I say fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:25:29 PM EDT
[#3]
In all the threads that covered this topic so far, Im STILL waiting for someone to outline the plan by which AMERICAN soldiers determine the true intent of armed Iraqis without having to die first to find out...
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Anytime the authorities start kicking down the doors of people who aren't engaged in hostilities, people are going to resist. The US had better get used to it. Iraqi citizens need to be able to defend themselves as well. Some of these people were supportive of the US until they got their houses searched and weapons seized. Nothing like being left at the mercy of criminals to foster resentment.

I don't want to have to surrender my firearms because there are Ba'ath Party members in the US ready to perform terrorist acts.

"
In all the threads that covered this topic so far, I'm STILL waiting for someone to outline the plan by which AMERICAN soldiers determine the true intent of armed Iraqis without having to die first to find out...
View Quote
"

That's why they get combat pay, 30 days vacation and most of them get all Federal holidays......WAR SUCKS.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:37:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Personally, I don't give a rat's ass what freedoms the Iraqis end up with.  My only concern is that they do not end up as a haven or sponsor for terrorists, or an ally to our enemies.
View Quote

What do you think, Cincinnatus?  Will having our troops conduct house-to-house searches [b]increase[/b] or [b]decrease[/b] the level of hostility felt for Americans???

If you have trouble answering that question, re-read the original article.  Note the mention of riots.  That's a hint.
View Quote
Again, not a rat's ass.
I don't care.
It's war.  Not a popularity contest.
Guess what?
The Kurds who fought on our side get to keep theirs (RPGs, MGs, etc.)
How 'bout that.

Now, as a collorary, will a hostile country be [b]more[/b] or [b]less[/b] likely to produce people who wish to harm the United States?  That means terrorists, or underground groups that would abet the terrorists.

I dare you to answer those questions and then tell me how we should just crush the Iraqis under our bootheels if that's what it takes to "bring them peace."  I'm really curious about the logical contortions one would have to go through to reconsile those apparently conflicting beliefs.
View Quote

No need for any logical contortions.
It's you who have lost sight of what victory, and defeat actually means.  I think you must have bought the Clinton Doctrine of war.
To keep our country safe, we shouldn't try to make our enemies happy, as it seems you would suggest.
No, we defeat them, and frighten them, and remain vigilant.
None of this bullshit about changing our policies so that "we won't anger so many people".

Some of you people act like we can do whatever the fuck we want no matter what the Iraqis have to say about it.  Newsflash!  If we keep antagonizing them and royally pissing them off, we're going to have a country filled to the brim with people who want to take down the United States.

View Quote

Who cares?
If they intend to cause us harm, we will crush them.
You, on the other hand would appease and pacify.
Then we'll be seen as a "paper tiger", and vulnerable to attack....

Sounds familiar?

Many here believe that WE in this nation should be able to own crew served MGs, if that is our desire.  Right?
And what I see in this thread, are people projecting their domestic RKBA concerns onto the Iraq situation.
Shouldn't therefore the Iraqis be able to keep their heavy MGs?
Shouldn't they be allowed to form militias, to fight off any future invaders (or to defend against an oppressive American occupation government)?

According to the "logic" being put forth in this thread, these would be appropriate actions.

Not too smart.

Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I hope our boys stay safe; however, I can't blame the Iraqi's for their response.
View Quote

I can.  They lost the war, they have to face the consequences.  They are lucky we are an open society and are allowing them to keep small arms for defense.  They have NO reason to expect that we will let them keep rocket launchers, grenades and machine guns: if they think that's reasonable under the circumstances, they are fools, as is anyone else who believes they should be allowed to have those things when we obviously don't know which of them are Ba'ath party thugs yet.
View Quote

What he said! This isn't a U. S. 2nd Amendment issue.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
"That's why [b]they[/b] get combat pay, 30 days vacation and most of them get all Federal holidays......WAR SUCKS"

You'd make a great Russian general.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Don't read or watch the news much, do you? If the only beef they had was with our policies and actions, why were two civilian buildings, each containing thousands of people, targeted for destruction? Why did countless thousands of them celebrate the deaths of thousands of American civilians? Once again, I say fuck 'em.
View Quote

What do you expect them to do?  Challenge the US Military to a stand-up fight?  They would get their asses creamed and they know it.

To say that they will always hate us to me sounds pretty naive.  These are still people, who worry about their jobs, their families and so on.  They don't just sit around under the date tree and say, "Gee, I think I'll go kill some American civillians just for the hell of it."  If the U.S. stopped meddling in the Middle East tomorrow, I bet most of the anti-Americanism would dissipate within 10 or 15 years.

This isn't about pacifying them or upholding some standard of machismo so we don't seem like "wimps."  This is about realizing that our foreign policy has antagonized an entire region of people and knowing when we've been wrong.  But it takes a strong person to admit he's been wrong for so long.

How many Americans still hate or fear the Russians?  That was the big threat when I was growing up.  Now I'd rather just sit down and drink some vodka with them.  (Oh yeah, and send me some of those cheap mail-order Russian brides.  [:D])

-Nick Viejo.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 6:54:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Same problem with this gun kontrol that we have here.

Those who are inclined to not shoot you are the only ones who would consider surrendering their weapons.

If you were in a occupied country, with looting, etc, would you consider for a second giving up any of your weapons? I dont think so. Molon Labe.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those who are inclined to not shoot you are the only ones who would consider surrendering their weapons.
View Quote

This pretty much sums it up.  Gun control there is going to be just as misguided, ineffective and counter productive as gun control here.

If I were living in Iraq today, I would keep an RPG and rounds for it buried deep - just in case.  
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top