Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2003 9:36:17 AM EDT
I need range, not small, no games, no pics, no computer hook up, just range, which one has range, or are they all the same ????
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:46:02 AM EDT
[#1]
My cellphone has a range of at least 5,200 miles, as tested by calling my mother in Germany just this morning :-)

Seriously though, they all range between 30 to 50 clicks line of sight (in analog mode). The best range was achieved by the old bagphones, but I don't think you can activate those old analog only phones anymore. So any tri-mode (CDMA/TDMA/Analog) phone would fulfill your needs. Check www.phonescoop.com for details.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:48:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#3]
cell phone range?  hmmmmmmmm, sounds interesting, i'd sure pay to shoot those annoying little bastards
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Nextel, Motorola i1000 plus.  Service is great at least around here - Almost uninterrupted all up and down the Left Coast and east to Tucson, AZ.  I rarely experience outages in urban and suburban areas as I have with others.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#5]
If range is an issue, you don't need a cell phone. You need a [i]satellite[/i] phone.  Pretty much, if you can see the sky, you can make a call.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:33:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you need "coverage" or "range" ? Having a phone with a ten mile range is great, but if there's not a compatible tower in your area you're screwed.

Generally in the US, you'll have better overall coverage with a TDMA based phone rather than an CDMA.

A good multimode phone will have an analog option as well, but only as a secondary feature. As an earlier poster said, nothing beats the old analog phones for range.

Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:55:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top