Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/26/2016 3:57:56 AM EDT
http://www.scarymommy.com/difficult-child-hard-to-like/

It happened on a day like any other. We were having a playdate at our house with friends whom we know well and have invited over countless times before. My 5-year-old and her 4-year-old friend were running laps around the couch, playing tag. My daughter was “it,” and when she couldn’t catch up to her friend, she collapsed on the ground, pouting, close to tears, and shouted, “I can’t catch you! You have to slow down! You have to! I won’t play anymore if you don’t!” And I looked at her with a sigh, as I always do at times like these, and I looked at her friend, who is almost always smiley and agreeable, and that’s when I knew. I knew that a hypothesis that had been building in my head and heart for months and months now was unequivocally true: My child is not easy to like.

And it wasn’t because of that one event. It was because that wasn’t an isolated event at all. Things like that happen all the time. All the bloody time. Whether she is alone, with her siblings, or with her friends, at home or in public, my daughter is the bossy one. The demanding one. The one making a scene at the store as she cries on and on and on because I won’t let her buy a gymnastics leotard (we don’t even do gymnastics!). She is quick to cry, yell, and throw the kind of tantrum that I once thought only 2-year-olds were capable of.  She’s disrespectful and rude. Moody. Unable to share and overly concerned about every damn toy (hers or someone else’s). Insistent upon doing things her way. Impossible if things don’t go her way. Manipulative. Always thinking only of herself. And always prepared to tell you exactly what she thinks and feels in that very moment. If she doesn’t like you or what you’re doing, you will hear about it. I hate labels, but let’s face it, she is spirited, strong-willed, and as it turns out, a brat. And every time we interact with someone outside of our home, I feel as though we are stepping into a minefield. I never know how it’s going to go or what will set her off.
View Quote

This is what ass beatings are for. And the lack of them is a big problem, when our society is full of these children...and parents.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Almost sounds autistic.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#2]

I didn't read the linked page.

Does Scary Mommy take the credit for turning her child into a self-centered little brat?

Or is it somehow the NRA's and the Republican Party's fault?
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:04:07 AM EDT
[#3]
An ass beating for being a dumbass will save kids from getting their heads squashed in a car wreck or raped, robbed or murdered when someone who doesn't love them takes advantage of their blissful stupidity.

Being loud, being dumb, being a asshole, all got me spanked.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:04:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Does Scary Mommy take the credit for turning her child into a self-centered little brat?

View Quote

Just apologist and pathetically resigned to do nothing about it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:17:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well that's the problem. There aren't enough ass beatings in the world that can make up for shitty parenting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:18:37 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always been a believer in corporal punishment, we even got swatted with a paddle, hard, at school, and we'd get another at home for getting that one.

My main thing with kids, is whatever your rules, you stick to them, every time. You make a set of rules and minimum consequences, and you make set of "good" things, chores, etc, with minimum rewards. Your child should know that when they offend, they will get at least the punishment described, and according to any other factors that make it worse, they will get added or more severe consequences, and the same with rewards.

Consistency is the key.

My son got bad for a short while when he was around 5 because he was allowed different rules at his mother's house than he was here. It got where she couldn't get him to obey her, yet she still fought me about the rules thing. Once she finally had enough, she adopted the rules that I had here, and within a couple of weeks, there wasn't another problem. We agreed at that point to be sure the rules were as close as possible to each other at both places and at the grandparents as well, and he never caused trouble, never got in trouble at school, nothing ever since. He got in some fights, and got sent to the principle's office, but those were all self defense, and other students backed him up to the principle each time.

It sounds like the child in that article is allowed to just get away with whatever and the discipline is random, and she doesn't know what to expect when she stirs things up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 4:42:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sorry Mrs. McGillicudy, but I'm afraid your daughter has contracted a bad case of... progressivism.

That being said, there are some kids who're just not right.  My sister was like that, and no amount of discipline would fix her.  She was/is a sociopath.  She's the main reason Bill Clinton fooled me for about a New York minute.  Once you've been thoroughly exposed to one, you don't get fooled by them anymore.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 5:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Seems typical of many of today's "children":  "I can't compete so alter the rules/playing field/goal/etc."
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad spanked me good and hard when I needed it, and I'm thankful he did!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic democrat.
View Quote

FIFY

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:45:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.
View Quote

no.

she sounds like a hellion with no punishment structure or parental guidance in place.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:46:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Sounds like she's ready for an Arfcom membership.  We shall call her "LitlCunt."
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

FIFY

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic democrat.

FIFY

BINGO!   I can't keep up so lower your standards...    You hurt my feels...   I cannot get my way so I will take my ball and go home.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:53:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

no.

she sounds like a hellion with no punishment structure or parental guidance in place.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.

no.

My niece acted out alot like this, even when she was 10 and now 11 years old. No punishment worked. And if you did lay a finger on her, CYS was at the door the next day.  She's at a resident treatment facility now, trying to work through her behavioral problems.

Sometimes the solution is not as easy as you think it is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Almost sounds autistic.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:01:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Well that's the problem. There aren't enough ass beatings in the world that can make up for shitty parenting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The parents needed their ass beat as kids AND their kids need smacked on the ass from the age of 1 when they start pulling shit like this.  If you wait until the kid is 5 or 6 you're too late.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I've never spanked my son.  He's 4 going on 5.

I've spanked my daughter twice, in her life.  She's 6.

In my house, spankings are reserved for behavior that could endanger life or limb.

In both instances where I spanked my daughter, she ran out on the street and did not heed me when I told her to stop. (she was like 3 and 4).

My son is a great child to be a parent of.  He's kind, considerate and respectful of adults.

My daughter... can be kind and considerate, but she can also be a handful.  I know this, so I am consistent and whenever her behavior strays from acceptable norms, I correct her.  I do this even when I don't feel like it: when I am tired, when it is late, when we are in public, whenever it is necessary.

It's rarely necessary anymore, because I am consistent, and she knows what the predictable consequences will be if she misbehaves.

I will not tolerate behavior that reflects poorly on her family in public, nor will I tolerate her ruining events that other people paid for (i.e., misbehavior in restaurants or other public venues).

Don't get me wrong, she's not a terror.

She just has a very strong personality.

That said, without consistent parenting, she could have turned into a terror, easily.

Assuming the kid in the OP is not somehow mentally ill, that sort of behavior is what you get when you engage in half-ass lazy parenting.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:08:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.
View Quote

Not surprising when reports say 12 out of 10 kids have some form of autism.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:09:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It happened on a day like any other. We were having a playdate at our house with friends whom we know well and have invited over countless times before. My 5-year-old and her 4-year-old friend were running laps around the couch, playing tag. My daughter was “it,” and when she couldn’t catch up to her friend, she collapsed on the ground, pouting, close to tears, and shouted, “I can’t catch you! You have to slow down! You have to! I won’t play anymore if you don’t!” And I looked at her with a sigh, as I always do at times like these, and I looked at her friend, who is almost always smiley and agreeable, and that’s when I knew. I knew that a hypothesis that had been building in my head and heart for months and months now was unequivocally true: My child is not easy to like.

And it wasn’t because of that one event. It was because that wasn’t an isolated event at all. Things like that happen all the time. All the bloody time. Whether she is alone, with her siblings, or with her friends, at home or in public, my daughter is the bossy one. The demanding one. The one making a scene at the store as she cries on and on and on because I won’t let her buy a gymnastics leotard (we don’t even do gymnastics!). She is quick to cry, yell, and throw the kind of tantrum that I once thought only 2-year-olds were capable of.  She’s disrespectful and rude. Moody. Unable to share and overly concerned about every damn toy (hers or someone else’s). Insistent upon doing things her way. Impossible if things don’t go her way. Manipulative. Always thinking only of herself. And always prepared to tell you exactly what she thinks and feels in that very moment. If she doesn’t like you or what you’re doing, you will hear about it. I hate labels, but let’s face it, she is spirited, strong-willed, and as it turns out, a brat. And every time we interact with someone outside of our home, I feel as though we are stepping into a minefield. I never know how it’s going to go or what will set her off.
View Quote

This is what ass beatings are for. And the lack of them is a big problem, when our society is full of these children...and parents.
View Quote

I you are against corporal punishment, then remove the General from your avatar.  Replace with Pee Wee Herman.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#20]
My sister and brother are 12 and 10 years older than me, respectively.  One time when my mom was out shopping with the two of them my brother decided to start acting up. My mom stopped what she was doing, gathered them up and took them home.

The next couple of times she went out shopping (or whatever) she got a babysitter for my bro and took my sister with her. It took a couple of times, but he finally started asking why he was getting left behind. My mom sat down with him and explained the situation to him. He promised not to do it again and she stopped getting a sitter for him and he didn't act up again.

No screaming or beating involved.  This was the 50's so maybe it's unrealistic in today's world, but it worked.

Now that I think about it, this shows how pliable he actually is. He is married to a libtard bitch and we are now estranged, after having been very close growing up.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#21]
My younger son is an asshole. I've beat him silly on several occasions, to include smacks across the face for back talking and being a general wanker to his brother.

He's still a prick.

Probably a lot like me at that age.

News flash: Some kids are assholes.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:12:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Almost sounds autistic.

"autism" is frequently a get out of jail free pass for shitty parents.

That's what explains its prevalence.

This is hard for people to understand.  Some people are just born assholes.  Literally.

Kids can be assholes without a diagnosis.

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#23]
I give many kudos for recognizing your child's short comings and the corrective actions that need to be implemented.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:21:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I'm sorry Mrs. McGillicudy, but I'm afraid your daughter has contracted a bad case of... progressivism.

That being said, there are some kids who're just not right.  My sister was like that, and no amount of discipline would fix her.  She was/is a sociopath.  She's the main reason Bill Clinton fooled me for about a New York minute.  Once you've been thoroughly exposed to one, you don't get fooled by them anymore.
View Quote

While I agree with you in part, asshole kids have usually learned how to out asshole their asshole parents at a very young age.  A close second would be parents that have no respect from their children (lack of punishment, too much punishment).  Finally, you have those people like my brother and your sister, but I think that they are more rare than the first two groups of asshole kids.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#25]
Shy of a mental disorder, children with behavioral problems are either not being disciplined or emulating their parents.  I know that is a sweeping generalization, but I have found it to be true in most cases.  I have worked in scouting as a leader over the past 20 years and my worst behaved scouts were the ones whose parents were in denial or didn't give a shit about their kid.  I have had scouts with Aspergers who were easier to deal with than the ones who suffered from a lack of parenting.  The rare few that were a-holes had a parent that was an a-hole; again, kids will usually emulate a parent's strong personality traits.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.
View Quote

..and? Is this some way to excuse responsibility for actions? If we want the mentally disabled to walk freely among us and be the treated like everyone else, then we should not lower our expectations of what acceptable public behavior is.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#27]
The last two sentences say it all.  She wants your kid to knock hers down a peg because she doesn't have it in her to do it herself.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 11:10:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My dad spanked me good and hard when I needed it, and I'm thankful he did!!!
View Quote

As did my Father...  when I deserved it.  And it worked.  

It worked so well, that I used it for my children.  And it worked again.  

My son and his wife are expecting, and he say's that he's going to do the same thing with his children.  

Spanking is loving correction, given with a parental heart.  It's not done out of anger.  It's not done to inflict harm.  My son said that what hurt worse than the spanking, was the knowledge that he let me down.

Edit:..  Oh..  and after a spanking, make sure not too much time passes without hugging them, and telling them that you love them.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:43:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I you are against corporal punishment, then remove the General from your avatar.  Replace with Pee Wee Herman.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK sweetie. I'll jump right on that.

You should probably look into a reading comprehension course.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.
View Quote

no some kids are just brats.

Roy
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 2:59:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Shy of a mental disorder, children with behavioral problems are either not being disciplined or emulating their parents.  I know that is a sweeping generalization, but I have found it to be true in most cases.  I have worked in scouting as a leader over the past 20 years and my worst behaved scouts were the ones whose parents were in denial or didn't give a shit about their kid.  I have had scouts with Aspergers who were easier to deal with than the ones who suffered from a lack of parenting.  The rare few that were a-holes had a parent that was an a-hole; again, kids will usually emulate a parent's strong personality traits.
View Quote

They are reflecting their programming, which is mostly done by the parents. The writer chose to remain anonymous for good cause; she is unlikeable, and does everything her child does, but in a socially acceptable way. I know adults like this. They pick some cause, whatever it is, for good or bad, and use it as a weapon to make you interact with them. They use people, self aggrandize, try to get laws passed to Ban whatever, force others to comply with whatever. It's political rape.

This child is a Chelsea Clinton/ Caroline Kennedy to be. Just like mom.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

This is not necessarily due to the lack of ass beatings.
Parents in general are quick to be a child's friend but slow to be their parent.
This does not have to take the form of ass beatings to be accomplished.

Children are children and need a parent to provide structure and guidance.
Two parents with a united front is preferable.
Hovering over your child is not the suggestion here.
Failures, bumps, scrapes, bruises should be a part of every child's growing up experience.
Losing at something should be a part of their lives, it's ok parents.
Some competition is ok.
There is much more to be learned on their own.

Mothers and fathers should also not forget that they are husband and wife first.
Your children are part of the family not the center of it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#33]
I got my butt spanked from time to time when necessary.  All 4 of my kids, 2 boys 2 girls , got spanked more than a few times and we all seemed to have turned out pretty decent so far.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:11:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Probably watches Caillou too!  The show where the kid gets away with everything through tantrums.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.

Austism cures ADD just 10 years or so ago 15 out of 10 had ADD, now we just got to figure out which mental problem cures autism.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:20:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Kid needs to be told to sack the fuck up, life is gonna be full of people being better at something. If the kid gets worse thru life, it's behavior will land them in a psych ward, pink sheeted, and taking a ride in the Ativan. Autism is a used-to-often cop out for whiny, bad, and manipulative behavior. Like ADHD for example now is a form of autism. Structuring, rules, punishing bad behavior and reinforcing good behavior is what is needed.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Almost sounds autistic.
View Quote

No, sounds like OP described....a kid who always got their way and didn't get enough spankings.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my favorite lines when I worked the Road  was, "I can't fix in 15 minutes what took you 15 years to screw up"
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Hit that kid, and you will turn her into an adult child, hiding her hate and anger for 40 or 50 years, until she becomes president, and wants to "get even" with everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top