Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/23/2016 9:40:55 AM EDT
For the first time, troops facing the summer heat are being permitted to roll up their uniform sleeves as part of a pilot program launched by the Army in Fort Hood, Texas.
If successful, the 10-day trial run, which ends on Sunday, may be extended to bases across the country. It would allow soldiers to roll up their sleeves on the Army combat uniform during the hot summer months -- something that has been prohibited since 2005.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/politics/army-rolled-up-sleeves/index.html

I never realized they disallowed it after I got out.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I am glad the morons in the Pentagon worry about the important things....
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I always thought disallowing it was world grade dumb...and before someone pipes up about sun burn...most peoples lower arms don't burn like the rest of the body....
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:44:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:44:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

and most people are smart enough to pull the sleeves down if needed
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always thought disallowing it was world grade dumb...and before someone pipes up about sun burn...most peoples lower arms don't burn like the rest of the body....

The 1SG's would lose their shit if one person rolled them down while everyone else had them up
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:46:44 AM EDT
[#7]
As much as I'm not a fan of rolling sleeves (I think it looks dumb and will only take up more time and effort), this is a good thing.

SGM Dailey is listening to what soldiers want/need, trying out new ideas, and solidly grounding himself with the lower enlisted.  So much better than what we've had in recent years with upper levels of command just doing their own thing and dragging the rest of us along with them.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:58:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Now, if ONLY they can resist the 'combat roll' (so you can unroll them in a CBR environment) b.s.   Of all the things you could be doing to protect yourself in that situation, a mask would be better.  Not to mention that in the field you rarely roll your sleeves anyway.

The 'combat roll' was really there because some Pentagonal nitwit thought the undyed side of the cloth clashed with the camo side, not realizing it would be self correcting in field/combat.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now, if ONLY they can resist the 'combat roll' (so you can unroll them in a CBR environment) b.s.   Of all the things you could be doing to protect yourself in that situation, a mask would be better.  Not to mention that in the field you rarely roll your sleeves anyway.

The 'combat roll' was really there because some Pentagonal nitwit thought the undyed side of the cloth clashed with the camo side, not realizing it would be self correcting in field/combat.
View Quote

There's your problem...

TC
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#11]
We just downgrade to t-shirts anyways when its hot as fuck.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#12]
except for the inkies, they gotta keep em down?

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, in the US, there will be people setting uniform policy for the uniformed armed forces.  

Crazy, I know.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

When I was at the Ft. Silly WTU, my "light duty" was assisting the BFIST course because I was a. J3.  We spent almost the entire summer in our Tshirts only.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:16:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

no shit. and we have to launch a "pilot" program to see if it is a feasible idea. fucking stupidity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

no shit. and we have to launch a "pilot" program to see if it is a feasible idea. fucking stupidity.

I would be interested to see the observed "performance metrics" involved in deciding whether this pilot program is "working" or not... I'm sure there's a power point somewhere.  
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
As much as I'm not a fan of rolling sleeves (I think it looks dumb and will only take up more time and effort), this is a good thing.

SGM Dailey is listening to what soldiers want/need, trying out new ideas, and solidly grounding himself with the lower enlisted.  So much better than what we've had in recent years with upper levels of command just doing their own thing and dragging the rest of us along with them.
View Quote

+1

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#17]
We grow more pathetic everyday.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:23:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

either EVERYONE has them up, or EVERYONE has them down..... you cant decide yourself. why that's, that's... anarchy !
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Show me an officer that isn't an absolute fucking megalomaniac and First Sergeants are little more than the commander's bitch boy anymore.

They worry so much about the stupid shit that they have no fucking clue how to fix the big problems, because more often than not, they *ARE* the big problems.

Also stupid shit piles upon stupid shit, and every little butterbar dreams of the day his personal piece of stupid shit will be added to the pile. Problem is that when they leave, their stupid shit never goes with them and the amount of shit atop all the other stupid shit we are forced to wade through ensures that we will never be able to remove it.

They allow us in the Air Force to wear a squadron morale tee shirt on Fridays, but only Fridays and it has to be approved by the commander, and of course, there was a six month study to figure out if it works or not. Now you get asked where your morale tee shirt is, implying there is such a thing as morale. Otherwise we have to wear the sand tee shirt, because we fight war in the desert, but desert colored boots are verboten, so we must wear green boots because reasons. Who fucking cares what color the tee shirt we wear is? And who wasted the time and money deciding that we needed to study whether or not wearing a different tee shirt on Fridays was a good idea or not?

If it's hot, roll your fucking sleeves.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#20]
I didn't even realize it had been disallowed.  I'll now crawl back into my hole in the ground.

The only thing I can see wrong with what they are doing is not rolling the sleeves such that the outer camo pattern is visible, instead of the inside of the fabric being visible.  The latter is a USN/USMC thing, or at least used to be.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#21]
I loved having my sleeves rolled. Only take like 5 minutes.

Although the Marine Corps made required to wear woodland cammies in the winter with sleeves down. In Hawaii, it sucks.

I kept my sleeves like I like my pussy. Clean and tight.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#22]
rolled wrong.  it needs to be rolled so you can pull it down in one fluid motion  in case of a gas attack
Quoted:

Although the Marine Corps made required to wear woodland cammies in the winter with sleeves down. In Hawaii, it sucks.

http://media.defense.gov/2016/Apr/22/2001521136/636/305/0/160415-M-QA266-333.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:07:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I didn't even realize it had been disallowed.  I'll now crawl back into my hole in the ground.

The only thing I can see wrong with what they are doing is not rolling the sleeves such that the outer camo pattern is visible, instead of the inside of the fabric being visible.  The latter is a USN/USMC thing, or at least used to be.
View Quote

Yeah, they pulled the rolled sleeves in 2005 or 2006.  The ACU didn't really roll well with all the velcro and pockets and shit.

They're in the debate phase of whether to do it Marine style or old BDU style with the cuff folded down.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
rolled wrong.  it needs to be rolled so you can pull it down in one fluid motion  in case of a gas attack
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://media.defense.gov/2016/Apr/22/2001521136/636/305/0/160415-M-QA266-333.JPG

That's a risk most of us are willing to take aboard Camp Pendleton.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Show me an officer that isn't an absolute fucking megalomaniac and First Sergeants are little more than the commander's bitch boy anymore.

They worry so much about the stupid shit that they have no fucking clue how to fix the big problems, because more often than not, they *ARE* the big problems.

Also stupid shit piles upon stupid shit, and every little butterbar dreams of the day his personal piece of stupid shit will be added to the pile. Problem is that when they leave, their stupid shit never goes with them and the amount of shit atop all the other stupid shit we are forced to wade through ensures that we will never be able to remove it.

They allow us in the Air Force to wear a squadron morale tee shirt on Fridays, but only Fridays and it has to be approved by the commander, and of course, there was a six month study to figure out if it works or not. Now you get asked where your morale tee shirt is, implying there is such a thing as morale. Otherwise we have to wear the sand tee shirt, because we fight war in the desert, but desert colored boots are verboten, so we must wear green boots because reasons. Who fucking cares what color the tee shirt we wear is? And who wasted the time and money deciding that we needed to study whether or not wearing a different tee shirt on Fridays was a good idea or not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol, show me on the doll where the bad officer touched you
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Dumbest fuckin things ever:

Back in '91, base commander ft stupid, wouldn't allow us to work in our t-shirts, instead said we could remove our t-shits and put our BDU tops back on to stay cool

That didn't last long though after people complained to the IG.

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:09:02 AM EDT
[#27]
They have to roll em like Marines? LMFAO.

Was the old way really that fucking hard to do for the new troops?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:16:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Once again,  LOL Army

First world problems

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

This right here
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:27:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Rolling the Army way took extra talent.  The reason rolling wasnt done is that in a desert environment, any temp over your body temp adds heat to you.  This is one reason those who live in the desert cover up so much as cover keeps you cooler.  The Army did find lower heat casualties when a t-shirt was retained as opposed to going shirtless.  Your discomfort may be better for you.

Does anyone recall the 4 heat levels back in the day that when the did the sling phsycometer test to measure relative humidity and you got to unblouse your pants and wear a t shirt at certain relative humudity levels.  When it was top level you had to do PT at 3 am to avoid the high heat and humidity--this was at Ft Jackson.  A few years later I got some hot weather BDUS but was in the guard in MN.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:29:22 AM EDT
[#31]
I wonder if they're going to make them wear it like the Navy does with the NWU's... they look like shit!

Eta: versus mine in 2009:

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:30:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

This right here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here

We always had to put them back on for formations and all that.  It was nice being able to roll sleeves up when you were standing around waiting for bullshit formations and all to start.  We could only go to t-shirts if we were outside working at the motor pool or something.  Or dicking with conexes.. shit like that.

But then again rolled sleeves were verboten soon after I got to Bragg.. so I only spent a couple months doign that.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:32:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Dont they issue or at least approve jungle utilities anymore?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I wonder if they're going to make them wear it like the Navy does with the NWU's... they look like shit!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/kriegsafe/web_100816-N-9818V-398.jpg
https://strikehold.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/002-nwu-type-iii.jpg?w=600&h=398
View Quote

Speaking of that ...when is the premier of this seaon's... The Last Ship gonna start?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For the first time, troops facing the summer heat are being permitted to roll up their uniform sleeves as part of a pilot program launched by the Army in Fort Hood, Texas.
If successful, the 10-day trial run, which ends on Sunday, may be extended to bases across the country. It would allow soldiers to roll up their sleeves on the Army combat uniform during the hot summer months -- something that has been prohibited since 2005.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/23/politics/army-rolled-up-sleeves/index.html

I never realized they disallowed it after I got out.
View Quote

Lol, "pilot program" and "trial run" for something as trivial as rolling sleeves up in warm weather. What in the hell?

I am so glad I got out of the Army.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:36:16 AM EDT
[#36]
How many power points were made on the subject?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#37]
As medics  we would call command  It's heat cat. IV        

Quoted:
Dumbest fuckin things ever:

Back in '91, base commander ft stupid, wouldn't allow us to work in our t-shirts, instead said we could remove our t-shits and put our BDU tops back on to stay cool

That didn't last long though after people complained to the IG.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#38]
You guys are really missing out on a great opportunity to get an epic farmer's tan. A stylish one though, because it comes with a "fabulous" band of white across your wrist from your watch.

A ten day trial LOL. Who comes up with this shit?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 11:59:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I concur!
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:01:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v342/kriegsafe/web_100816-N-9818V-398.jpg
https://strikehold.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/002-nwu-type-iii.jpg?w=600&h=398

Eta: versus mine in 2009:

http://i.imgur.com/zfIdeaI.jpg?1
View Quote

That Sailor on the right in the first photo didn't even try to roll up the sleeves correctly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:12:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Pilot program?  Trial run?  Already been done, it's called pre-acu, aka, pre 2006.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All over the everywhere. I met two officers that were worth a shit, both were former E7s.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

All over the everywhere. I met two officers that were worth a shit, both were former E7s.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having been on both sides of the coin, I always think it's funny the hate officers get. What, is there something about a kid straight out of highschool that makes them a better military man than someone who went to college? Are officers worse because they went to college and got more training than their enlisted counterparts? Give me a break.  

Yeah, there's some really shitty officers. Due to the nature of what they do they're skylined a lot more than a shitty LCpl, and rightly so. There's also a lot of really fucking great officers. Prior enlisted, academy, ROTC, and OCC/PLC whatever. I've also known shitty officers from all those groups too- even the often worshiped prior enlisted camp.
FWIW I've known some really shitty SNCO's too...

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Having been on both sides of the coin, I always think it's funny the hate officers get. What, is there something about a kid straight out of highschool that makes them a better military man than someone who went to college? Are officers worse because they went to college and got more training than their enlisted counterparts? Give me a break.  

Yeah, there's some really shitty officers. Due to the nature of what they do they're skylined a lot more than a shitty LCpl, and rightly so. There's also a lot of really fucking great officers. Prior enlisted, academy, ROTC, and OCC/PLC whatever. I've also known shitty officers from all those groups too- even the often worshiped prior enlisted camp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The hate for the officers comes from the same area that I hated a large percentage of NCO's...

Stupid petty shit on a daily basis.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#45]
It kind of looks stupid because of where the unit patches are at. Back in the day it was at the crest of the shoulder. Now that its mid bicep patches are going to be half covered and poping out because of the velcro.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
How many power points were made on the subject?
View Quote

A brigade command will come from this.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy shit, Air Force, did the compliance officer come in and set the thermostat back to 76 or something?

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The hate for the officers comes from the same area that I hated a large percentage of NCO's...

View Quote

Well...I don't know what service you're in, but my experience has been it's more often the senior enlisted worried about petty shit like beanies and hands in pockets and the officers are more concerned about mission accomplishment. Again, I've been on both sides I have a pretty decent idea of what's actually going on.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:32:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, horseshit.  There hasn't been an army in existence since Moses parted the Red Sea where joe didn't hate officers.  The only thing that has ever changed in the last 10,000 years was the creation of the First Sergeant and the Sergeant Major, so joe could have someone else to hate.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:33:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah, they pulled the rolled sleeves in 2005 or 2006.  The ACU didn't really roll well with all the velcro and pockets and shit.

They're in the debate phase of whether to do it Marine style or old BDU style with the cuff folded down.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Woodland BDUs always looked pretty sharp with the proper cuff-down sleeve roll.

If they go the Marine route, that's just anarchy.  Next thing you know, Army be rolling up their pants into capris.  This isn't to say that capris are without thermal merit, just that it's anarchy.  Total fucking anarchy.  We can't have that.

Cuff down.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top