Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/8/2016 9:17:07 PM EDT
So I bought a brand new Colt AR15A4 20" M16A4 off of gunbroker from a storefront. Paid, shipped, all is well.

Got the rifle in today at my FFL. Has a fucking 1:9 twist HBAR barrel.... EVERY AR15A4 i've ever seen has the correct 1:7 twist. It even states it in the ad.  Needless to say i was super pissed and disappointed. I do not think it was the gunshops fault, but regardless i did not get what i paid for. Equivalent of ordering a V8 mustang and it shows up with a V6. So i did NOT accept the rifle at my FFL and kept it in his possession and contacted the seller. He has been very responsive so far.

I am wanting a return at this point as this whole experience left me jaded. He is saying no, and the ad stated "AS-IS, and no returns". He is offering to send me a replacement rifle (although this was the only one he had). I told him I do not want this at this point and just want a return. He then wrote "why would a replacement be unacceptable".

What can I do? At this point I just want a return and i'll buy one locally i can inspect. I REALLY do not want to file a claim with my bank to get my money back or be a dick to this guy either.

What's the best and most polite way to do this?

Update:

They sent my FFL a return slip, he is sending it back out today. I have still not received a response to my email, so i'm hoping once it goes back i get a return credited. I'll give him a day to respond to me, then I will see what the plan is on his end.

Update 2: So my FFL shipped the rifle back with his shipping label he sent the FFL the following morning of my "cunt talk" email lol. Should I have received a refund by now or is he waiting until he receives the rifle? I never took possession so I'm not sure what the delay would be. I still have not heard back from the guy on my end.

Update 3: Rifle on it's way back, I contacted the guy again, he said he had contacted gunbroker, and would inspect the rifle first to make sure it does not match the description, and then issue a refund.

Update 6/22: Spoke with guy they got the rifle, and are issuing me a "check" for a refund, although he didn't ask for my address....  

(ETA:Told him i'm not taking a check and will either have my card refunded or i will do a non fraud dispute. He's refunding my card)

Final Update 6/25/16:

This is his email to me after threatening action with CC company:

I refunded your card this morning.  Just so you are aware, the gun was exactly as advertised.  It does have a 1-7 twist and is a the correct barrel.  I called colt and they stamped the barrel incorrectly.  They were unsure of how this happened.  They were more than willing to speak with you in regards to this matter.  Colts customer service number is .  The person I spoke with is ***** his extension is #****.

Thanks **************

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I bought a brand new Colt AR15A4 20" M16A4 off of gunbroker from a storefront. Paid, shipped all is well.

Got the rifle in today at my FFL. Has a fucking 1:9 twist HBAR barrel.... EVERY AR15A4 i've ever seen has the correct 1:7 twist. It even states it in the ad.  Needless to say i was super pissed and disappointed. I do not think it was the gunshops fault, but regardless i did not get what i paid for. Equivalent of ordering a V8 mustang and it shows up with a V6. So i did NOT accept the rifle at my FFL and kept it in his possession and contacted the seller. He has been very responsive so far.

I am wanting a return at this point as this whole experience left me jaded. He is saying no, and the ad stated "AS-IS, and no returns". He is offering to send me a replacement rifle when one becomes available. I told him I do not want this at this point and just want a return. He then wrote "why would a replacement be unacceptable".

What can I do? At this point I just want a return and i'll buy one locally i can inspect. I REALLY do not want to file a claim with my bank to get my money back or be a dick to this guy either.

View Quote

Can you file a claim with gun broker?

He lied according to that, file a complaint get. Your money back fuck him
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
1 in 9 is actually a better choice for most
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Interested in knowing how this turns out....

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Its not mil-spec though

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Ad was wrong, sellers fault.
On the other hand 1-9 is ok for most rounds unless you like the Barnes tsx.
Which colt was advertised?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So I bought a brand new Colt AR15A4 20" M16A4 off of gunbroker from a storefront. Paid, shipped all is well.

I am wanting a return at this point as this whole experience left me jaded. He is saying no, and the ad stated "AS-IS, and no returns". He is offering to send me a replacement rifle when one becomes available. I told him I do not want this at this point and just want a return. He then wrote "why would a replacement be unacceptable".

View Quote
If he offered a replacement with correct twist (when it becomes available") gunbroker will not do anything

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

If he offered a replacement with correct twist (when it becomes available") gunbroker will not do anything  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Whats the most "polite" way of saying i just want a return? Do i have to drop the ill file a claim with my credit card line?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:27:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Ha!

Not laughing at OPs misfortune, but at the dickweed seller who can't label his stuff correctly.

Reminds me of the clowns who go around calling flattop 20" M16s "the M16A3" because, well, why not?
Or the goobers who say an M4A1 is a Vietnam-style A1 carry handle upper with a notched barrel.
Not being pedantic, these kind of sellers are flat-out wrong and these are the $1200 mistakes that get made when you're purposefully ignorant

Quoted:
View Quote

Doesn't matter. The AR15a4 is a govt profile barrel (skinny under the handguard) with a 1/7 twist.
A clone of the USMC issue M16A4. Kind of the whole point of this model.
The seller shipped him just whatever Colt flattop he had lying around.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

20inch HBAR sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Whats the most "polite" way of saying i just want a return? Do i have to drop the ill file a claim with my credit card line?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you have a link to the orginal ad?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Its not mil-spec though

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its not mil-spec though

Somebody get the chart! Stat!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:32:20 PM EDT
[#12]
If he offered to replace it gb will not do anything unless he can not have one in a reasonable time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Have your credit card company take care of it and save a copy of the ad in case they want to see it. Fuck that guy.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Its not mil-spec though

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Its not mil-spec though

Oh no's ??
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Does it say Colt A4 on receiver? Why would there even be an HBAR with A4 on lower? If its the new batch of Colts, yeah, they should have standard profile barrels. Weird...and glad I found this, was thinking of ordering one too.

Something funky going on? Sure he didn't swap upper with NON Colt A4 Upper?  Colt Catalog has it listed at 1/7:  COLT CATALOG
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

20inch HBAR sucks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20inch HBAR sucks.

WHAT!?!?!  

I love my 20" HBAR
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:38:30 PM EDT
[#17]

To clarify i DO NOT want a replacement as I will buy one locally now. That is the point i want to get across. I'm not too worried about Gunbrokers take, as My Credit card/Bank should have my back on this.

FWIW the rifle shipped in a box labeled AR15A4 and the Receiver said AR15A4. Top of barrel was shiny and after lifting it i was like WTF thats heavy, and looked at top of barrel. Sure enough 1:9 HBAR

Here is the generic description from sellers ad:

Item #: AR15A4 UPC_Code: 098289023292 Description: CLT RIFLE AR15A4 20B 5.56 30R Manufacturer: Colt Model #: AR15A4 Type: Rifle: Semi-Auto Finish: Matte Black Stock: Fixed A2 Sights: FT: Adjustable Post RR: Adjustable A2 Barrel Length: 20 Overall Length: Weight: Caliber: 5.56 NATO|223 Capacity: 30+1 Action: Semi-Automatic # of Mags: 1 Chokes: Packaging: Receiver: Black Matte Anodized Flat Top Chamber: Muzzle: Bird Cage Flash Hider Features: Removeable Carry Handle 1-7 Gov't Profile Barrel The winning bid is a cash or check price. We add 3% for other forms of payment. Shipping and handling is 30.00 for USPS and 35.00 for UPS. We do not guarantee 2nd day. Before you bid make sure you are legal to purchase and own this firearm in your state of residence. All sales are final, no refunds or exchanges.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:39:51 PM EDT
[#18]
No HBAR for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Bet you someone switched uppers on you.  Hoping you wouldn't notice.  Check all other stuff; "F" front post, full BCG with markings, etc etc.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If he offered to replace it gb will not do anything unless he can not have one in a reasonable time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Sell it and get two M4's
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

but if I refuse and let my credit card do the rest?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:42:59 PM EDT
[#23]
charge back?  not  as described ?

will take a while but you will have your money back  

unless the bank says eww  gun..  and girly runs away  

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Bet you someone switched uppers on you.  Hoping you wouldn't notice.  Check all other stuff; "F" front post, full BCG with markings, etc etc.
View Quote

Sounds likely.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Goodbye gunbroker account.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ha!

Not laughing at OPs misfortune, but at the dickweed seller who can't label his stuff correctly.

Reminds me of the clowns who go around calling flattop 20" M16s "the M16A3" because, well, why not?
Or the goobers who say an M4A1 is a Vietnam-style A1 carry handle upper with a notched barrel.
Not being pedantic, these kind of sellers are flat-out wrong and these are the $1200 mistakes that get made when you're purposefully ignorant

Doesn't matter. The AR15a4 is a govt profile barrel (skinny under the handguard) with a 1/7 twist.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Ha!

Quoted:

This is probably the truth.   "As is- no returns" doesn't mean he can advertise one thing and then ship you another and you just have to eat it.  I would NOT accept a promise to send you a replacement rifle later.   That day will never come, he will stop answering you and the time to dispute the charge with your CC company will be past.   Call your CC company and have them get your money back.  Include a free bag of gummy dicks when you ship that boat anchor back to him (on his dime).
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:47:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Please let us know who seller was, as I am looking at buying an A4 on Gunbroker this month. Don't want to deal with this BS.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Ask for replacement and 200 rounds federal xm 193 for your trouble
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#30]
"send a replacement when one becomes available" sounds very open ended.  Tell him you can source one locally without any wait time and would like a refund.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:49:55 PM EDT
[#31]
If the ad says 1/7 and the rifle you received is 1/9 that should be the end of the matter. The seller gets the rifle back on his dime and OP gets his money back with an apology.

That's how it should work. Add me to the list of people interested to see how this turns out.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#32]
The UPC comes back to a 1:7. Did the UPC code match the box?

The A3 HBAR comes in a 1:9. Someone did an upper swap OR it was a Colt error.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:55:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View Quote

yes
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

"send a replacement when one becomes available" sounds very open ended.  Tell him you can source one locally without any wait time and would like a refund.
View Quote

Those were never the specific words, but it was the only rifle he had, so I assume the Colt Fairy isn't going to drop by this week with an exact replacement for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Fuck the twist rate, I'd be pissed that it's a damned HBAR.

Those things are heavy as fuck with a 16" barrel, let alone a 20"

Fuck that witless idiot, OP, get your money back.

ETA: Tell him to either refund it, since he pulled a bait-and-switch, or you'll dispute the charge.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Your answer:  "Because a replacement is not available"

End of story really.  If he had the correct rifle on the shelf then you SHOULD suck it up and allow him to make it right but if he can't make it right today then you should get your money back.  Also "AS-IS" is a statement about the a condition of an item not a statement of "Maybe you'll get what I actually listed and maybe you won't, who fucking knows right?".  The purpose of listing an item "AS-IS" is to disclaim any implied warranties.  Maybe you can send him a wikipedia link so he understand what the hell that term means.  

That said, I would never buy something online where the seller included "AS-IS" in their auction description unless they were selling something that was intentionally listed as defective or broke.  If someone lists "AS-IS" for an ostensibly functional item then it just shows you what kind of confidence they have in the item arriving to you in a condition that you'll find acceptable.  I always accept returns within a couple days of receipt even as a private seller and have never had a problem working things out with buyers.  I'm never trying to pull a fast one on people and I want them to be happy with the deal so I'm not afraid to risk a round trip on stuff I sell online.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:02:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

HBAR sucks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I wrote back this:

Hey XXXXXX, I appreciate the replacement offer, but to be honest man i'm not interested in that route. This particular experience has jaded me on online deals from here on out. And that is no fault of you personally by the way, but I'd rather buy one locally I can inspect before purchase. I do not want a replacement rifle at this time. If it had been a huge gouge, chips in paint, or damaged finish or the like, sure that would be acceptable. But that was not the case. I get the "As is- no returns" and agree with that 100% but I do not feel that applies here. "AS-IS, no returns" doesn't mean someone can advertise one thing and then deliver another. Then once a complaint is made, ship you another and you just have to eat it. I'm not trying to come off as rude or an asshole here. Quite the contrary. But at this point I just want a return, mutual positive feedback, and to go are ways, with the potential for me to be a return customer in the future. I do NOT want to have to involve my Credit Card company, internet, etc etc. Nor do I think you deserve that either. It would be much easier for both of us if you could just issue a return and shipping label to my FFL. Please let me know.

-Az

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#40]
If this was sold as a brand new rifle I think I'd contact Colt as well.  If they can verify they shipped that out in the correct configuration, they might be interested to learn of dealers swapping out their parts and selling them as new Colt rifles.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:10:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Have your credit card company take care of it and save a copy of the ad in case they want to see it. Fuck that guy.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:13:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This is probably the truth.   "As is- no returns" doesn't mean he can advertise one thing and then ship you another and you just have to eat it.  I would NOT accept a promise to send you a replacement rifle later.   That day will never come, he will stop answering you and the time to dispute the charge with your CC company will be past.   Call your CC company and have them get your money back.  Include a free bag of gummy dicks when you ship that boat anchor back to him (on his dime).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha!

Quoted:

Sparky is spot on.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I wrote back this:

Hey XXXXXX, I appreciate the replacement offer, but to be honest man i'm not interested in that route. This particular experience has jaded me on online deals from here on out. And that is no fault of you personally by the way, but I'd rather buy one locally I can inspect before purchase. I do not want a replacement rifle at this time. If it had been a huge gouge, chips in paint, or damaged finish or the like, sure that would be acceptable. But that was not the case. I get the "As is- no returns" and agree with that 100% but I do not feel that applies here. "AS-IS, no returns" doesn't mean someone can advertise one thing and then deliver another. Then once a complaint is made, ship you another and you just have to eat it. I'm not trying to come off as rude or an asshole here. Quite the contrary. But at this point I just want a return, mutual positive feedback, and to go are ways, with the potential for me to be a return customer in the future. I do NOT want to have to involve my Credit Card company, internet, etc etc. Nor do I think you deserve that either. It would be much easier for both of us if you could just issue a return and shipping label to my FFL. Please let me know.

-Az

View Quote

You're being far too fucking nice.

"I ordered a 1/7 upper.  This is a 1/9 upper.  I'm sending it back and not paying for anything.  Thank you."

If he says anything other than, "Shit, you're right, my bad, let me get that." go through your fucking credit card company.  Sweet fucking christ.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

"I ordered a 1/7 upper.  This is a 1/9 upper.  I'm sending it back and not paying for anything.  Thank you."

If he says anything other than, "Shit, you're right, my bad, let me get that." go through your fucking credit card company.  Sweet fucking christ.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wrote back this:

-Az

This.

Your email was too nice and long winded and I bet he will feel he can talk you into keeping the rifle.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:21:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Unless you are shooting over 62gr you're fine.

77smk is not going to shoot well out of 1:9. But anything else from 69gr on down will be fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Sir, this rifle is not as advertised, or what I paid for, as such our deal is void.
Please remit my funds.

Sign, date, and send.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#47]
If he opposes i will direct him to this thread, post the company, and change my tone
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:26:37 PM EDT
[#48]
The old in-house swap a rue game.  

Glad you caught it OP.

Would be nice if the rest of us knew who this seller was, hint hint
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I wrote back this:

-Az

View Quote

Lol
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Both are possible.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Top Top