BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn that is wild
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:24:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Hate to hear you have to go through that, but glad your daughter (and you) are safe.  Perfect example of how technology can be wonderful and terrifying at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:41:28 AM EDT
[#3]
We had this thread before.         I bet the Cops HATE that app.    

It's a terrible idea.       "let's make an app, for a One-in-a-million emergency, and lets make it trigger automatically, when someone hits a random combination of buttons"  
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 8:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Samsung device?

My GS5 has a SOS function where you hit the power button 2 or 3 times, and it sends a text to your emergency contacts, takes a pic or two, and sends a GPS location. It's a neat feature but it's also easy to accidentally activate. You can disable the function if you want.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Damn, sounds scary. I didn't know phones will do all that automatically...and I managed cell phone stores for 12 years.

ETA: first three responses start with DAMN
View Quote

Hmmmm.

I didn't know some cars can detect lane changes and I worked at a car dealership for 10 years back in the 80's

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

3 times maybe a bit low. Maybe 5+ times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How exactly does a phone send out multiple map locations and emergency "SOS" texts to multiple people by itself?

It would seem it would need explicit instruction from the user of the phone to do that. Seems kinda odd to be an "oops" sort of thing.

You set it up for it to contact certain people you want it to. She pushed the side button 3 times quickly, by accident. The phone didn't do it by itself

It might then need some refinement to avoid false alarms that send others in to a state of sheer panic.

3 times maybe a bit low. Maybe 5+ times.

Would suck if someone clubbed you to death right after the 4th time though

Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I just upgraded to the Samsung S7 and am reading about this feature. Sounded confusing at first.

ETA: NY_Shooters link worked on my S7...I am not activating the feature...
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:08:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Grounded.
2 weeks.
View Quote

She's 23 and has her own house. Guess I can tie her up for 2 weeks at my house though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It might then need some refinement to avoid false alarms that send others in to a state of sheer panic.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
How exactly does a phone send out multiple map locations and emergency "SOS" texts to multiple people by itself?

It would seem it would need explicit instruction from the user of the phone to do that. Seems kinda odd to be an "oops" sort of thing.

You set it up for it to contact certain people you want it to. She pushed the side button 3 times quickly, by accident. The phone didn't do it by itself

ya think?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:14:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not multiple locations but one.

It takes a snapshot of the moment you push the button.

GPS location,  short voice recording, and pics from front and rear camera.

Then sends text to predetermined list.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What Kit for SOS message? Did you bring Body Armor?
View Quote

Important question that needs answering.

Do you go with your IIIA soft armor or straight to ceramic plates, just in case?

ETA - Yeah, I'd have flipped my shit too OP.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:26:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool phone feature to test the response time and procedures of your loved ones.

Good way to get a bunch of worried armed men in one place fast.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an S6 and this SOS option is cleverly hidden. Thanks for the heads-up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:29:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Great feature......but if it's too easy to accidently set off it's going to be white noise
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:31:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Glad to hear that the constables took it seriously. 4 cars was probably the entire shift.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#16]
FAWK

Good job, dad.

You kicked into Liam Neeson mode.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glad to hear that the constables took it seriously. 4 cars was probably the entire shift.
View Quote

Haha. Probably not for harris county. There was a 5th car but as he pulled into the parking lot he went right back out. I was right on his heels pulling in. They had already made contact with her and I'm sure he was notified of false alarm.

But yes they took it serious.  I know I did.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FAWK

Good job, dad.

You kicked into Liam Neeson mode.
View Quote

911 dispatch asked what her phone number was. Uh , well. Uh shit. Idk.

It's on my phone but being in a mode like I was in and trying to get there myself , I don't think I would have remembered how to even pull it up.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just upgraded to the Samsung S7 and am reading about this feature. Sounded confusing at first.

View Quote

Mine was off by default.  Not gonna activate mine, either.

I'm guessing OP's daughter had to have manually set hers up at some point, being that you have to select the contacts for it to contact, accordind to the instructions.  I think the idea is a good one, but being that there's reports of false triggers, supposedly by no fault of the users, makes it more hassle than it's worth, IMO.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Lol. I saw that feature when I got my Note 5. I thought it was kind of cool so I turned it on. I think you have to hit the home button 3 times or something. Didn't even make it a day when I started getting texts from my wife and my business partner asking wtf was going on. No one bothered to speed to my rescue though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
If OP didn't smoke some Albanians and run across some rooftops ... Taken 4 is going to be a bit of a let down compared to the other movies in the series.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Just for fun I made myself the emergency contact for my Note 4 and I activated the emergency message function by pressing the screen lock button 3 times, even when the screen is locked.  Outwardly, it gives no indication that an emergency message has been activated and sent, except that it automatically activates your wifi and location function even if you've turned them off.  You receive texts like OP described, photos from both front and back cameras,  an audio recording, and a Google Maps link..  It looks like the cameras continually take photos and send them to the emergency contact until you manually deactivate the Safety Assistance feature.  Kind of neat, I had no idea that this function existed on the phone but seems good if you're worried about being kidnapped.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm guessing OP's daughter had to have manually set hers up at some point, being that you have to select the contacts for it to contact, accordind to the instructions.  I think the idea is a good one, but being that there's reports of false triggers, supposedly by no fault of the users, makes it more hassle than it's worth, IMO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I checked your previous and link and what your saying is true.

She says she didn't remember setting g it up and didn't know what triggers it.

But yea I agree. Very useful tool if you're aware you have it and know how it works, vs. Setting it up and never reading to educate yourself on its use.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 9:53:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lol. I saw that feature when I got my Note 5. I thought it was kind of cool so I turned it on. I think you have to hit the home button 3 times or something. Didn't even make it a day when I started getting texts from my wife and my business partner asking wtf was going on. No one bothered to speed to my rescue though.
View Quote

They didn't speed to your rescue?  Wtf dude.

Sounds like both of them need to be fired.

Guess you know now to change your emergency contact list.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:11:55 AM EDT
[#25]
The folks in this thread who have phones capable of this should enable the feature and put each other on their emergency contact list ... and post the ensuing shenanigans.  Entertainment demands this!
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Glad it was a false alarm.

Dads will do some interesting things when there is perceived danger to their daughters.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 2:15:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
WTF is up with the tread title?  "Most scariest"
View Quote

Are you not a fan of the comparative superlative?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#29]

It would have been days before my parents even noticed that text if I had accidentally sent one

Glad everything is fine
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:48:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The folks in this thread who have phones capable of this should enable the feature and put each other on their emergency contact list ... and post the ensuing shenanigans.  Entertainment demands this!
View Quote

I can assure you it was not entertaining in the least.

Knowing your own daughter is babysitting  her 7 yo brother for us and knowing they were on the road at night coming back from their sisters 30 or so miles away.

Yea. Not funny in the least.  

I would suggest that if you know someone with that feature ,, that they know what sets it off and that you are on the contact list.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
WTF is up with the tread title?  "Most scariest"
View Quote

Idk. That's the way we say things down here.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It would have been days before my parents even noticed that text if I had accidentally sent one

Glad everything is fine
View Quote

So if you purposely sent it they would have seen it?

Well, that's what counts.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:03:29 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I guess we need to come up with a secret code word or phrase that wouldnt tip off a guy holding a gun to your head and making you say stuff.
View Quote

My wife and I have one.  

"What's the combo to the safe?" = someone is in the house armed and we need help.  

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:15:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It's a terrible idea.       "let's make an app, for a One-in-a-million emergency, and lets make it trigger automatically, when someone hits a random combination of buttons"  
View Quote

This is my experience with Samsung software . It is overly complicated and fucked up . Every update on my phone has fucked up side effects . Fuck you Samsung
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My wife and I have one.  

"What's the combo to the safe?" = someone is in the house armed and we need help.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess we need to come up with a secret code word or phrase that wouldnt tip off a guy holding a gun to your head and making you say stuff.

My wife and I have one.  

I was thinking more of a yes or no question.

Like " did you talk to Robert today"?

If yes they're in need of help.

Could also be initiated by the person who needs help.

" I talked to Robert today about ..........."

So no matter what, if Robert was talked to then they need help.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:23:40 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

This is my experience with Samsung software . It is overly complicated and fucked up . Every update on my phone has fucked up side effects . Fuck you Samsung
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I hate all updates. Always seems to screw something up that was fine before.

Probably why I never update anything.

By the way, do you have any Windows 95 floppy disc I can borrow ? I need to reload windows and one of my floppy got melted on top of the fireplace.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:25:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Send some free pizza coupons to the police station.

Txl
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:31:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm glad it was a false alarm
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#39]
It's the Safety Mode on an Android.

Settings > Safety and Alerts > Emergency Mode > Send SOS notification

You can select up to four contacts.  If you hour the power button three times rapidly, it sends a text, picture, and generally a five second audio recording.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Send some free pizza coupons to the police station.

Txl
View Quote

Hmmm. Good idea.

I did send them an email last night, thanking them for the quick response.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:45:09 PM EDT
[#41]
My wife and I have a saying. "Give Jen a kiss for me". Jen is the dog and we both know if we ever hear the other one say this we are to immediately call 911.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn. () Glad she's ok OP. I can't imagine that terror.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:49:15 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm glad it was a false alarm
View Quote

No doubt about that.

Still haven't got over it though.  

For some reason I keep playing it in my head over and over again.

And thinking how , if it were real, and how it makes me feel.

Makes me feel sick to my stomach that my daughter and son were in dire need of help and seconds counted and I was miles away.

I think what really through me for a loop during it was the blurry pick that appeared like a bloody nose and the words SOS and I NEED HELP along with no response when I called her.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:50:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My wife and I have a saying. "Give Jen a kiss for me". Jen is the dog and we both know if we ever hear the other one say this we are to immediately call 911.
View Quote

Oh 5hat pretty good . I like that.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

The most yet so far. And I'm only 50.

Helpless is what I felt. Thankfully we have a 911 system that can aid in situations like this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Helpless is what I felt. Thankfully we have a 911 system that can aid in situations like this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's awesome how fast LEOs responded. That sounds like a good feature to have on a phone. (Even if it was an accident this time)
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:09:55 AM EDT
[#47]
Don't think of it as a false alarm, think of it as a 'fire drill'.  Assess what you all did and decide if that was the best course of action if there was a real emergency.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:23:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't think of it as a false alarm, think of it as a 'fire drill'.  Assess what you all did and decide if that was the best course of action if there was a real emergency.
View Quote

Good idea. I will also access what happened.

Jk

Seriously , that is a good way to look at it.

I was forced to work over on my shift that night. Didn't want to in the least.

But now I look back and see that had I not, I would have been at home when I got the text.

25 miles away instead of the 10 miles.  Actually 7.8 miles (I Google mapped it)

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:25:47 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's awesome how fast LEOs responded. That sounds like a good feature to have on a phone. (Even if it was an accident this time)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even afterwards I too think it's great.

Just know how to use it and give a heads up to those on the list.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:29:41 AM EDT
[#50]
Page 3 2 says CSB because, well, it really was a cool story.  Seriously.  At least the part about everything being OK and her being safe.  The rest would have not been the least bit cool, but I'm glad she's safe.

ETA:  Damnit, I just knew it was gonna be page three.  
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top