Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2016 8:29:43 PM EDT
first home purchase. put in an offer on my first house.

VA loan. anything i should keep in my mind. while going thru this process?

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:33:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

View Quote

It is business.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure your interest rates are fixed and can be lowered if the rates go down. Real Estate people, as nice as they are, are still making a buck on you. If they tell you someone else is bidding on it make them show you. It's your money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch out for tornados...
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:43:48 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're buying a house that's a fixer upper, you're going to have a tough time with a VA loan.  They have strict inspections and appraisals.  I just sold my house to a couple using a VA loan, fortunately we didn't have to fix much.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice. I know some people don't get homes inspected (which is crazy to me, I am young, don't know a whole lot about every single thing, and a second look by someone else is a good idea). Cost me 275 for the house I was looking at. This was my first time too. I close on Friday... just two more days and I'll be king of my domain.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:51:25 PM EDT
[#6]
home was redone in 2009 i believe. its an older home (1900) but updated. will be getting a home inspection done forsure.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
This probably won't be your first offer, don't get attached to the house until you're in it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice. I know some people don't get homes inspected (which is crazy to me, I am young, don't know a whole lot about every single thing, and a second look by someone else is a good idea). Cost me 275 for the house I was looking at. This was my first time too. I close on Friday... just two more days and I'll be king of my domain.
View Quote
^^ this.   Spend ~$275 for an inspection.  

- The inspector will find some things wrong.  There's something wrong with every house.  He'll probably find a bit of rotten wood.  

- If you don't know an inspector, real estate agents are good sources to find an inspector.  

- Ask the inspector to meet you there when he does the inspection.  Be nice.  Tell him this is your first house.  Tag along, ask him questions, but don't be a pain.  When he's finished, ask him to review the findings with you.  (Example: his written report may say that the range doesn't work.  He may tell you verbally that one eye doesn't work.)  

Enjoy your new home!

Link Posted: 5/18/2016 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#9]
If that offer hasn't been accepted by now the house is likely sold already.

Around here anything under $200K is selling in hours over asking price with several offers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Around here anything under $200K is selling in hours over asking price with several offers.
View Quote

Around here nice houses at good prices sit vacant for months and even years.

They countered we countered . We will see. .
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]
If you can afford the higher monthly payment get a 15 year mortgage.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 1:58:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most personally invasive process ever.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
. I close on Friday... just two more days and I'll be king of my domain.
View Quote

until the first prop tax bill shows up peasent
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:20:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Make them fix everything you find wrong with it.  The VA inspection should identify most of the issues - they will scrutinize more heavily than a typical home inspector would.  The VA home inspection process is a lot harder to clear than others.  I have sold two homes to VA purchasers.  Both were immaculate, but minor problems were found both times and had to be fixed before any loan was approved.  So, go ahead and be very picky.
Link Posted: 5/19/2016 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh please. Renting has property taxes, too. Built into the price of the lease.

OP it's a process. At this point, keep in mind the inspection period (10 days?). Decide on home, wdo, and septic if applicable. It will be a bargaining chip depending on results. The point of an inspection is to find major issues ($1,000+) and how many and what kind.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#16]
They accepted the offer :)  should be a lot more "wtf am I doing" moments in the future.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:25:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats and have fun!  Learn to do everything or make enough to pay someone else to do it.    I got the keys and moved into this place on the day before Thanksgiving 1993.  My first and last real estate unless something drastic happens in one direction or the other from here on out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:26:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same around here , all selling for full list usually or a few thousand over list
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:31:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Same around here , all selling for full list usually or a few thousand over list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:32:10 PM EDT
[#20]
FPNI
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:38:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They accepted the offer :)  should be a lot more "wtf am I doing" moments in the future.
View Quote

I'm sure you know this, but the inspection period starts from the time they accept the offer. Depending on the age, a 4-pooint inspection may be necessary and is not always included in the home inspection automatically. All inspections needs to be completed and written up for you to understand any major issues.

Once you have an idea of the issues, there are a few options. Move forward without any changes, get out of the deal completely (this option implicitly ends on the last day of the inspection period), or figure out who is going to fix the issues and/or change the price of the purchase to offset needed repairs.

Some repairs need to happen before closing in order for the financing to come through. Banks don't want a bad asset.

As of today, all inspections should already be scheduled to be completed, typed out, and given to you no later than two days before the inspection period ends.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Good luck OP!

We are closing on our first house on June 9th.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:37:47 AM EDT
[#23]
If you get paid bi-weekly, set up your payments so you're paying 50% of a monthly payment every 2 weeks. That'll end up being a full extra payment every year. Throw in a little extra if you can, too.

On a 30 year note, the bi-weekly 1/2 payment method is supposed to knock up to 7 years off of the loan payoff time. I get paid every 2 weeks, so I switched to doing that, plus a little extra which will add up to about another full payment worth going toward the principle amount.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:28:45 AM EDT
[#24]
It's quiet in here. Too quiet
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#25]

1) It'll cost more than you expect when you factor in the closing costs.

2) You'll have to buy more stuff that you never thought about needing before once you move in.

3) You'll find all sorts of "how did I miss that?" problems.

It'll be fun as long as you prepare yourself mentally.

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

show around for loans.  Even VA loans.  

I got a 3.25 30 year VA loan with 10% down last month.
USAA was at 3.75.
Be prepared to spend extra up front for extra inspections.  If you have a 10% disability or more they will waive the VA fee.

VA is a lot better for loans now than it was in 2001.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:39:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OP it's a process. At this point, keep in mind the inspection period (10 days?). Decide on home, wdo, and septic if applicable. It will be a bargaining chip depending on results. The point of an inspection is to find major issues ($1,000+) and how many and what kind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't pay the rent, I get evicted and get a new rental.

I don't pay property taxes, I lose my house and all equity.

Yuge difference.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yuge difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuge difference.

It is way too early for you to be doing your thing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
It is way too early for you to be doing your thing.
View Quote

Its never too early for the truth!

I hate property taxes.  
diabolical.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:07:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Yuge difference.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuge difference.

Or you could sell it before you lose it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 9:27:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yuge difference.

Nothing like the government making me an offer i cant refuse

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:09:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where is here? I sold a House in KY last year took months and barley broke even. New house only 2 years old.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Have patience it won't happen over night.  You have to get your inspection done and then you have the appraisal.  if it moves quick I would say 4 weeks  but would plan on 5 to 6 weeks.  That's all I got.  

Congrats!!

ETA:  I fail.... I finally looked at the dates..
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#34]
inspection was done. nothing big showed up. got my intent to proceed paperwork.

no idea when the appraisal will happen but thats up to the bank.

im ready to go go go. but i know i need to just be patient  because it all takes time.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 8:59:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Yeah, don't get stressed out....I did for no reason, but that was a long time ago.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:01:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Make sure your interest rates are fixed and can be lowered if the rates go down. Real Estate people, as nice as they are, are still making a buck on you. If they tell you someone else is bidding on it make them show you. It's your money.
View Quote

.??????.?.If they are fixed, how can they go down?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:05:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hire the home inspector from hell and have then spend and entire day searching the house for issues.  Don't blindly go with the one your realtor uses.  Ask around, get references, and hire the pickiest bastard on Earth.

I went with the one my realtors office used... I'm convinced he pencil whipped it...and I ended up buying an absolute shitshow of a house while I trusted his "inspection."  This reminds me, it's time to scour the internet for places to give that company some more 1 star reviews.  It's been a couple years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Hire the home inspector from hell and have then spend and entire day searching the house for issues.  Don't blindly go with the one your realtor uses.  Ask around, get references, and hire the pickiest bastard on Earth.

I went with the one my realtors office used... I'm convinced he pencil whipped it...and I ended up buying an absolute shitshow of a house while I trusted his "inspection."  This reminds me, it's time to scour the internet for places to give that company some more 1 star reviews.  It's been a couple years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i used my inspector. who is also the building and code inspector for 10 cities and 4 counties in the area... and i  talk to him a couple times a week at work...  if i was going to trust anyone it would be him. he did find some stuff. but nothing out of the ordinary for a 100+yo house. couple cheap things but really nothing that needed attention asap or raised a red flag.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top