Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/17/2016 8:21:43 PM EDT
My wife is in San Diego for training (2 Weeks) and I'll be joining her there tomorrow morning and returning home on the red eye Sunday night. I've got 5 days to burn with nothing planned.

Besides touring the USS Midway, visiting Mission Beach, and Coronado, what else should we look forward to doing?

While I used to live in Central CA, Cayucos and Sausalito, she has never been to CA, or any of the West Coast.

TIA

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't go . . . It's California . . .

. . . Nuff said.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Donkey show in Tijuana
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
See Mexicans...they're everywhere
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Donkey show in Tijuana
View Quote

This !
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
SD is for chillin out. Listen to 91x, get some good Mexican food, drink some excellent local beers and enjoy the weather.

Stone Brewery FTW!!

If none of that sounds good hit up Revolution St. In TJ. I hear Hong Kong gentlemans club is good to go.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:31:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Coronado has good food.  But if you like really good food head to La Jolla. Awesome place and great places to eat.

Edit: it's called "Whisk and Ladel".....tried the grilled bone marrow.....it will knock your socks off!

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Donkey show in Tijuana
View Quote

Wonder if it is as good or better than the one in Laredo
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Coronado has good food.  But if you like really good food head to La Jolla. Awesome place and great places to eat.

Edit: it's called "Whisk and Ladel".....tried the grilled bone marrow.....it will knock your socks off!

View Quote
Thanks Ranger!

This is the type of advice I'm looking for.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:35:36 PM EDT
[#9]
The zoo and blacks beach.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Drive to Julian in the mountains, down to the desert (Anza Borrego) and then to the Pacific ocean. Neat "loop" to do in one day.

Also drive up to the Palomar Mtn. observatory and then to Idyllwild (also in the mountains). Mexican food galore. Enjoy!

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The Zoo, Sea World, and the Wild Animal Park are all interesting.

Mexican food in Old Town (at least I think it's called old town)

There are a bunch of museums at Exposition Park (again I think that's what it's called)
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:40:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There are a bunch of museums at Exposition Park (again I think that's what it's called)
View Quote
Mexican place in Old Town (can't remember the name) is great. They make the tortillas in front of you there.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Find a Hodads for epic burger...

Youtube it.

It is a double handed monster.   I learned about on DD&D and it lived up to the hype.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:40:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Discovered by a German submarine commander in 1906, "San Diego'  means Whale's Vagina in German.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:41:18 PM EDT
[#15]
USS Midway is awesome. Awe inspiring

They have some cool breweries

Coronado island was ok. Pretty sure my daughter was being a mess that day so that probably impacted mah feels

San Diego zoo was cool but it's huge.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:41:33 PM EDT
[#16]
my favorite city in the US.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:42:11 PM EDT
[#17]
The beach?
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:42:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah, the Midway is pretty good.  Go early though, they close really early like 2-3pm.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:42:48 PM EDT
[#19]
POKEZ
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:43:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The zoo and blacks beach.
View Quote

Black's Beach?  

You must be into gay nude volleyball.  More power to you.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Everything said plus Balboa Park, the new Padres Stadium downtown, Star of India museum and USS Midway carrier right there, Gas Lamp district for dinner/drinks.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Star of India

Worlds oldest active sailing ship.  I spent the night on it for a field trip for my daughter.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

While in la jolla go see the sea lions, they are surprisingly entertaining and you can walk right up to them.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:45:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

While in la jolla go see the sea lions, they are surprisingly entertaining and you can walk right up to them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They smell like death
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Mexican place in Old Town (can't remember the name) is great. They make the tortillas in front of you there.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fred's
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They smell like death
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They smell like death

Its not that bad nancy
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#27]
OP, if you have zero planned on a friday and the Marines interest you at all, go watch the kids graduation from bootcamp..It is a pretty good time....
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Take the drive up to Cabrillo National Monument. From there you can get a great view of North Island, the Navy base and down town. You can also see the sub base at Ballast Point.

If you're in to visiting ships, the Soviet submarine in the park is something to see. When I toured it, was surprised to see that the alarm annunciators had the same colors and shapes as WWII US and German u-boats. They're also the same as our modern nuke subs.

Plenty of decent restaurants in the Gas Lamp district and Old Town. Fun to walk around and just check everything out.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#29]
The Gas Lamp Quarter is worth a visit. My wife and I eat down there sometimes. Great food and booze. The Zoo of course, La Jolla Cove, Seaworld is awesome too. Find an In-N-Out and have some incredible burgers. Stay the hell away from Tijuana, don't even go near the border. The weather this time of year and through June (June Gloom) isn't very typical of San Diego. Most of the days are overcast, cool, and the skies constantly look like a storm is coming. They never do though.

ETA Oh take a harbor tour! They take you right along side the carriers. Very impressive and intimidating.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:53:43 PM EDT
[#30]
The zoo is way overrated.  It is geared towards animals in their habitat, and you won't always see all the animals since it they place the cover where you can't see them.  It also might have the worst layout of anything ever made.  Good luck trying to walk it and not have to walk past the same places about 4 times.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Go skydiving if you haven't been before and then hit Kansas City Barbecue, the bar from Top Gun.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Balboa park is awesome and has the air and space museum.
As mentioned La Jolla is cool.

Pacific Beach is neat too, right next to it.

Actually, the whole coast from PB up to Oceanside is pretty awesome and a cool drive if you have time.

As much as people in the military hate on O'side, it's still an awesome little town despite being over run by boots.  

But really, SD is just kind o one of those places that is more fun if you don't have a huge agenda.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Tour the USS MIDWAY. It's breathtaking.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:58:31 PM EDT
[#34]
If you're going to be there during Comic con spend as much time as possible in the gaslamp district. You'll see some cool costumes and it definitely won't be crowded at all.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

. . . Nuff said.
View Quote
Hey there debbie downer! Might be a surprise but for fun touristy stuff California is awesome.  I see you're from Texas, if you ever want to have good Mexican food an go to real beaches maybe you should try the place out!

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:00:23 PM EDT
[#36]
marine corp museum at MCRD.   Or even the Marine Air museum at Miramar.  Both Free.   Top of Mt. Soledad, again free
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:01:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

As much as people in the military hate on O'side, it's still an awesome little town despite being over run by boots.  

View Quote

I never understood the hate for oceanside either.  Its a nice place to live and your close enough to San Diego, temecula, and LA.  As long as you didn't go downtown on the weekends you never really deal with too many boots being obnoxious boots.  If it wasn't for gay ass California laws I would still live there.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:04:46 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I never understood the hate for oceanside either.  Its a nice place to live and your close enough to San Diego, temecula, and LA.  As long as you didn't go downtown on the weekends you never really deal with too many boots being obnoxious boots.  If it wasn't for gay ass California laws I would still live there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I learned to hate it when I was in. I had traveled there as a kid though, and wouldn't mind going back now that I've been out.  But yea At least being in, it's the one place that gets associated with either being boot, OR broke with no car.

There's the neatest old kind of pawn/hobbie/ model shop that used to be there on the corner of the main drag through town. Old lady ran it had a bunch of turn of the century single action pistols. Couple even had notches.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:10:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Tour the USS MIDWAY. It's breathtaking.
View Quote

Yeah.

Rent a car, go to to the zoo, go to Mission Beach, maybe La Jolla.

Great town.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:14:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I never understood the hate for oceanside either.  Its a nice place to live and your close enough to San Diego, temecula, and LA...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I never understood the hate for oceanside either.  Its a nice place to live and your close enough to San Diego, temecula, and LA...

I'm thinking its because of the gang bangers. The whole area has a bad vibe. I'm in North County and I avoid Escondido, Vista and Oceanside.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I'm thinking its because of the gang bangers. The whole area has a bad vibe. I'm in North County and I avoid Escondido, Vista and Oceanside.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that a more recent thing?  Last tiem I was in O'side and surrounding areas was like 2004.... and I was just back from overseas rolling with a pretty rough crew so bangers were never an issue.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Visited a couple of times, last time back about 6 years. My son is in the navy, stationed there at the time. Got into the Navy base and toured his ship, USS Bonhomme Richard (lhd 6) or the Boney Dick as he called it. Was the highlight of the trip.
Also had Brother that lived in Escondido. Visited La Jolla, saw the seals, ate at a bunch of mexican resturants, most of the tourist stuff. As far I'm concerned there are better mexican places in WI than San Diego.
On the whole if I never go back I'll be OK with that. Somehow see as my son is stationed back there again I'm sure I'll be out there again in the future.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Find a Hodads for epic burger...

Youtube it.

It is a double handed monster.   I learned about on DD&D and it lived up to the hype.

https://i.imgur.com/zPqPZzG.jpg
View Quote
Already on my list.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:43:47 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

The beach?
View Quote
LOL. I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I have all the beach I can handle. It is a bit different on the West Coast though.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:46:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, got some great pics and video.

Also, there is a great place for brunch right there overlooking the Bay Area with all the sea lions. Can't remember it, but it's a large staircase. Very good food

Average bloody Mary's
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:47:12 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

. . . Nuff said.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
LOL. I live in Ft. Lauderdale. I have all the beach I can handle. It is a bit different on the West Coast though.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The beach?

The beach "view" there is nice.....but you're right....our beaches here beat CA beaches every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
OP, if you have zero planned on a friday and the Marines interest you at all, go watch the kids graduation from bootcamp..It is a pretty good time....
View Quote

I agree but even better than the graduation was the tour of the museum at MCRD. The 65ish year old  Marine that gave us a group tour your was outstanding. I and everyone in the group was mesmerized with his story telling ability! I could have listened to him all day tell war stories. Be warned though he has strong opinions about actions of the army during Vietnam, Vets may take offense.... Or maybe not
You will also see rooms full of weapons, artillery. This is a do not miss on my list
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:00:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Go walk around Old Town and eat at Miguel's
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Despite being a California city San Diego still has a small town feel and they love their Navy and Marines.  Awesome place to visit.  Maritime museum USS Midway, Sea World, whale watching tour, Zoo, Gas lamp district (micro brews), La Jolla Cove, great fishing, just to name a few.  It's a nice place.  Awesome weather.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top