Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/16/2003 10:03:49 AM EDT
Me and my buddy TMAN went to the range today and shot our rifles.  Here's TMAN shooting his Romanian SAR3 with an ACE buttstock and a Galial grip, in .223:
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12060[/img]

Here's me with my M-Forgery and my new Coyote Brown furniture.  I also have a BSA Red Dot scope on the rifle that works like a charm.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12062[/img]

It was a great day.  Burned up a bunch of ammo.  Wish you'all could have been there.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:10:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Looks like a blast (pun intended)

Always a good day when you get some range time in.

Thanks for sharing the pics!
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks like a nice,relaxing day at the range.

I wish it would stop raining up here.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:37:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the pic's OP.
Sure made my day at work a little more bearable!
Glad someone didn't have to work today.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I wish it would stop raining up here.
View Quote

No rain, but it is Texas.  About 90 degrees.

Sure made my day at work a little more bearable!
Glad someone didn't have to work today.
View Quote

I work a schedule called 9-80.  I work 9 hour days and get every other Friday off.  The range was almost empty today.  It's a lot more crowded on Saturday.

Today, I also tried out some of the Federal XM193 that I bought on this site.  It sure shoots good.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's TMAN shooting his Romanian SAR3 with an ACE buttstock and a Galial grip, in .223:
View Quote

Pull that elbow in TMAN!

[:p]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's TMAN shooting his Romanian SAR3 with an ACE buttstock and a Galial grip, in .223:
View Quote

Pull that elbow in TMAN!

View Quote

He-he-he!

He's gonna hate that!  When he saw the pic, he said, "What's my elbow doing sticking out like that"?

(Probably, it's cause he's getting old and needs it for balance.)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#7]
[lolabove]

Have him wear a shock collar.

Everytime the elbow goes up, the red button goes down!

[8D]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Pull that elbow in TMAN!

View Quote

He-he-he!

He's gonna hate that!  When he saw the pic, he said, "What's my elbow doing sticking out like that"?

(Probably, it's cause he's getting old and needs it for balance.)
View Quote

Here, let a girl show him how to do it right. [:D]

[img]http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgCvBPcSrnHMYLOhndPCoIHByz18CDhYZgV3phFtUP2f5DGcRgY8x!tfWul79Q0DydZ9OU4NzZArQ3gEhesMRQHCWvtQKPU89KnBco9wx5o/100-0378.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 2:43:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Here, let a girl show him how to do it right.
View Quote

If only she was a little older, I'd offer to work up a trade. [:D]

But, being that TMAN loads up target-quality .223 ammo for us to use in our bench rifles, I am willing to put up with his questionable form.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#10]
WAIT!

I thought having your elbow sticking out like that was proper stance, so tucking your elbows in standing is normal? I just got ragged by Sniper_Wolfe for not putting my elbows out, it does seem like the rifle is more secure when your elbow is out though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WAIT!

I thought having your elbow sticking out like that was proper stance, so tucking your elbows in standing is normal? I just got ragged by Sniper_Wolfe for not putting my elbows out, it does seem like the rifle is more secure when your elbow is out though.
View Quote

Actually, the old Army taught you to hold your elbow level with the ground just like TMAN is doing.  (He learned that with Custer just before he was discharged and Custer went to Little Big Horn.)

Nowadays, probably due to clearing rooms and going through doorways, you are taught to keep it down next to your side.  In fact, SWAT teams are taught to face the target squarely  and keep both elbows tucked in to make maximum use of body armor and to diminish the size of the profile.

At Thunder Ranch, in the Urban Rifle course, Clint teaches you to keep the elbows in tight.

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Dosent make a dif with me.

Out or in I shoot the same and with full-auto I like it out, gives me more control.

It looks like the butt is on the top of his shoulder?

Then again I dont know but I like mine in my shoulder firm.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#14]
How's that red dot working for you?

I had one on my 16" but took it off before I really got a handle on what it would do
View Quote

It works great!  Put the dot on the can, pull the trigger, it's hit.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit that I paid less than $50 for it at a gun show.  I don't know what a $400 one does better.  Maybe the expensive ones are tougher.  But for shooting cans on the dirt bank, the BSA works great.

BTW2: Looks like you put on a few pounds since the last pic I saw of you. LOL
View Quote

And to think that I thought we were buddies!

Actually, I had anorexia, but I think I've about got it licked.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I knew I was letting this site influence me too much. I'll break it out again and give it a try.
View Quote

One other thing, Tom.  My RRA is a flattop.  I have a RRA Tactical Sight Rail on it.  It is very solid and, as I'm sure you know, a solid base is the real secret to an accurate scope.

It is rock solid.

Here's another photo.  Notice the empty brass by the front sight.  That's a quick camera!

[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=12079[/img]

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Dosent make a dif with me.

Out or in I shoot the same and with full-auto I like it out, gives me more control.

It looks like the butt is on the top of his shoulder?

Then again I dont know but I like mine in my shoulder firm.
View Quote

OP is correct about the elbow in being a urban/cqb thing. Outside it's not very important.

The buttstock high on the shoulder is another "mostly" urban/cqb thing. When on the move it brings the rifle inline with your eyes ratehr than bringing your head down to the rifle and allows you to shoot on the move without becoming disoriented.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Torf, et al.
That's how markmanship was taught at Fort Jackson 44 years ago (1959) and validated by many tens of thousands of rounds since. (that's an era when hitting the target meant something)

I put in more time at the shooting range each week than you do in the chow line.

Here is a shot with the real thing with a bit of a tuck on the elbow.
[img]http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data/500/3781hk5_gun.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#19]
You guys look far too formal. Whats up with the shirts tucked in? Relax a bit!!

[:D]

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:07:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:59:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

In my military days, we talked about the WWII vets and Korean vets. We called them Brown Booters for their boots where brown compared to black.  I often wondered if todays military called us "Shirt Tuckers" for we wer required to have them tucked in. LOL
View Quote

As usual, Tom gives away our age. LOL.

We could also be called "In Liners" as we were required to keep the button line on our shirt fronts in line with our zippers on our pants.
Drill Sergeant Prigmore was a real stickler for detail and would use foul language if he spotted sloppiness.

Of course, nowadays, I have to look in a mirror to see if it all lines up.[:)]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 5:14:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

In my military days, we talked about the WWII vets and Korean vets. We called them Brown Booters for their boots where brown compared to black.  I often wondered if todays military called us "Shirt Tuckers" for we wer required to have them tucked in. LOL
View Quote

As usual, Tom gives away our age. LOL.

We could also be called "In Liners" as we were required to keep the button line on our shirt fronts in line with our zippers on our pants.
Drill Sergeant Prigmore was a real stickler for detail and would use foul language if he spotted sloppiness.

Of course, nowadays, I have to look in a mirror to see if it all lines up.[:)]
View Quote

So, uhm, when I photoshop you does this mean the dress should be knee length, or is a pink tutu still acceptable?

TRG

PS.  I was thinking that a light shade of pink to match your skin tone.  And that hat?  Let's try the one from this pic instead, mmm-kay?

[img]http://www.rag-dog.com/html/SP006.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:13:29 PM EDT
[#23]
By TRG:
So, uhm, when I photoshop you does this mean the dress should be knee length, or is a pink tutu still acceptable?
View Quote

Thanks anyway.  I'll pass on the famous photoshopping opportunity.  I'm not going to call your job or anything, but thanks anyway.[:D]

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Thanks anyway.  I'll pass on the famous photoshopping opportunity.  I'm not going to call your job or anything, but thanks anyway.[:D]

View Quote

good burn
That looks like the flat lands of the Houston area.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 3:54:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That looks like the flat lands of the Houston area.
View Quote

Good guess.  About 90 miles east.  Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
By TRG:
View Quote

View Quote

Too bad, because that hat would have been "Dead Sexy"[/Austin Powers]

[;)]

TRG
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:35:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Nowadays, probably due to clearing rooms and going through doorways, you are taught to keep it down next to your side.  In fact, SWAT teams are taught to face the target squarely  and keep both elbows tucked in to make maximum use of body armor and to diminish the size of the profile.

At Thunder Ranch, in the Urban Rifle course, Clint teaches you to keep the elbows in tight.
View Quote

I would agree with you...for the same reasons....less to get shot...and less bruises.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top