Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2016 10:51:58 PM EDT
We are so fucked.  

ETA:  It would be so easy to write a balanced budget.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/05/09/audit-rips-25m-us-funded-climate-change-program-in-guatemala.html?intcmp=hplnws

A $25 million U.S.-funded project to help Guatemala combat global warming is being slammed as another taxpayer-backed boondoggle after a new audit highlighted a series of problems -- including numerous inaccuracies in the group's work and a failure to produce a required long-term plan.

Without the plan, the government audit warned, "the funds ... could be wasted."

The grant for the Climate, Nature and Communities in Guatemala Program was awarded to the nonprofit Rainforest Alliance in February 2013 by the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) as part of a broader effort to fight climate change abroad.

USAIDs Office of Inspector General, which issued the audit last month, said the program was set up to help organizations and small- and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in Guatemala improve climate-change strategies and strengthen local NGOs so the countrys environment could be conserved without future U.S.  assistance. The report noted that as of February 2015, $10.5 million had been disbursed so far.

The audit acknowledged the program was making some progress, but it also alleged a laundry list of violations -- including that the reported results were not accurate.

The watchdog reported that data-testing revealed 22 errors in the accounting of whether the program was on track.

One example given was that the Rainforest Alliance reported 162,356 hectares of land now devoted to timber and nontimber products such as cacao and honey. But a review found the group had counted the same hectares multiple times.

The Rainforest Alliance also reported it had created 30,149 part-time and permanent jobs generated through new sustainable, productive activities undertaken by program-assisted community-based organizations and SMEs. However, the audit found 23,936 of those jobs may have lasted no more than a day.

The audit also found that a required comprehensive sustainability plan on how the program will continue after USAIDs assistance ends was not completed, despite it being required and the project having been underway for two years.

Without a sustainability plan, the funds used to help the Guatemalan Government and other partners manage the countrys natural resources to mitigate the harmful effects of climate change could be wasted, the report said.

The report was first flagged by Judicial Watch, a conservative watchdog group which called the project an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars and par for the course with virtually all of the Obama administrations 'green' ventures, which have largely failed after getting hundreds of millions in federal funds.

Among other violations, the audit also found that while the Rainforest Alliance was supposed to contribute at least $3.75 million as a form of cost-sharing, the $1.79 million it reported as having contributed by December 2014 included $26,708 of U.S. funds it received under a separate project.

The auditors also found that participants didnt undergo background checks, breaking a government funding rule that background checks must be performed on anyone seeking to participate in USAID-sponsored training.

A spokeswoman for the Rainforest Alliance told FoxNews.com it was still reviewing the report, and plans to address any issues through continued collaboration with USAID.

USAID Guatemala said it agreed with most of the reports recommendations, and agreed to take corrective action on all of them. Among the actions being taken, the agency said it would work with Rainforest Alliance to review data collection and other factors to improve accuracy -- and to produce a sustainability plan by the end of 2016.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
The amount of money the government blows has to be astronomical.

Absolutely nothing we can do about it anyway-the vast majority of Americans don't care,and the vast majority in D.C. don't care.

Maybe Trey Gowdy could put together a hearing and get something done about it..............
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#2]

USAID Guatemala said it agreed with most of the reports recommendations, and agreed to take corrective action on all of them.
View Quote

That just means they will steal the money faster!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:01:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Absolutely nothing we can do about it anyway-the vast majority of Americans don't care,and the vast majority in D.C. don't care.

Maybe Trey Gowdy could put together a hearing and get something done about it..............
View Quote

And what have his hearings done about anything that they've had hearings on?

They seem to be powerless to get the any evidence delivered.  

Yet alone, hold anyone accountable for anything!

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Climate change believers are ignorant and fucking delusional. I might say borderline, if not over the line, retarded.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:03:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I was involved with supporting a 1.5 million dollar federal grant to support distance learning at a college. It was wildly successful and tangentially resulted in the creation of 5 online degrees for the school. I trained 200 employees in online tools and instruction.

The college president decided we needed a convention center which later utterly failed.

They were forced to lay off 25 full time trained faculty that were all trained by me in the programs that were fully online.

Revenue that required no brick and mortar infrastructure < Unsustainable hospitality center in the middle of nowhere Ohio

The College president got a raise that year
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:04:17 PM EDT
[#6]
It must be real nice to be on the right side of that deal
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:06:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Climate change believers are ignorant and fucking delusional. I might say borderline, if not over the line, retarded.
View Quote

Even if it were actually true, what is $25 million to Guatemala going to do about it?  
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:08:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just think,many years ago you had to go the the coliseum for your free bread and circus-now you can enjoy it in the comfort of your own home...............
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:13:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Transfer the wealth.....he didn't mean to other Americans.

He mostly meant to other shitholes in the world.

He hates America.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:17:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If only the Party of fiscal responsibility was in control of the House where spending comes from.................
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If only the Party of fiscal responsibility was in control of the House where spending comes from.................
View Quote

Yeah.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:21:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone who voted for or authorized this expenditure should be imprisoned. Our nation is in deep debt, these non-essential expenditures are a crime against the American taxpayer and are destroying our children's future. The legitimate roles of the federal government are the common defense and interstate transportation, anything else is questionable.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:23:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Climate change believers are a cult . They have at best 160 years of data out of the over 10,000 years the earth is old and want to make changes based on that small sample . Retards one and all . I was promised an Ice Age in the 70's when I was in school . I was also told we will be out of petroleum by the mid 80's . Might as well be the Easter bunny
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:31:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Climate change believers are a cult . They have at best 160 years of data out of the over 10,000 years the earth is old and want to make changes based on that small sample . Retards one and all . I was promised an Ice Age in the 70's when I was in school . I was also told we will be out of petroleum by the mid 80's . Might as well be the Easter bunny
View Quote

I remember the coming ice age.  Nobody ever mentioned trying to do anything about it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:34:16 PM EDT
[#15]
That $25M could have probably been used to return all their illegals back where they belong.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View Quote
You do realize how funny it is you complain about GW cultists having too short of a time frame to sample, yet complain we havn't left the inter-glacial period in your own lifetime?

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:34:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Too many government employees and programs whose only job(s) are to spend all the money.  Cut staff by 50% budgets by the same.  No more pensions only 401K's
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I remember the coming ice age.  Nobody ever mentioned trying to do anything about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remember when they were talking about taking coal dust up to,IIRC,the Arctic to try and warm the planet.

That was in school in the 70's.

There was a Time magazine cover with,again IIRC,a polar bear walking around a frozen NYC (It wouldn't have been all bad afterall ;) )
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:29:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Anyone who voted for or authorized this expenditure should be imprisoned. Our nation is in deep debt, these non-essential expenditures are a crime against the American taxpayer and are destroying our children's future. The legitimate roles of the federal government are the common defense and interstate transportation, anything else is questionable.
View Quote

Don't hold your breath.

The vast majority of them will even get re-elected.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:35:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Transfer the wealth.....he didn't mean to other Americans.

He mostly meant to other shitholes in the world.

He hates America.
View Quote

A lot of that will definitely be going in pockets of 'investors' and .gov employees. So in effect, it;s going to other Americans.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I remember when they were talking about taking coal dust up to,IIRC,the Arctic to try and warm the planet.

There was a Time magazine cover with,again IIRC,a polar bear walking around a frozen NYC (It wouldn't have been all bad afterall ;) )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We should have rounded those people up back then, before they multiplied.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't hold your breath.

They have a 10% approval rating, and 90% reelection rate.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:44:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Does Guatamala really have an issue with whatever it is they say causes climate change???  Seems the last kind of place you would put any money towards if climate change was your agenda.  Seems like the money (if you HAD to spend it there) would have a better use with there trash problem.  But that is more of a cultural problem than anything else.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:46:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wasting the funds was the plan.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 9:55:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding.  The auditors are probably on their way to their way to re-education camps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top