Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/9/2016 10:19:02 PM EDT
http://www.wtva.com/news/Man_dies_after_getting_caught_in_wood_chipper_machine.html

WNDES COUNTY, Miss. (WTVA) -- A man is dead after he fell into a wood chipper at work in Lowndes County.

The call came into 911 just before 5 p.m. Monday. Yellow tape blocked off some big machines outside where it happened.

This was at GoBox on Highway 45 South not far from Highway 82. GoBox is a company that provides portable storage to people in North Mississippi and Alabama.

- See more at: http://www.wtva.com/news/Man_dies_after_getting_caught_in_woodchipper_machine.html#sthash.80RSaQiM.dpuf
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:20:05 PM EDT
[#1]
That'll do it every time
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
His life went to pieces.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
That'll ruin your whole day.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe people would be more careful around them if they were called something else. "Wood chipper" sounds like a normal, useful, happy landscaping tool.

Something like "Hard Organic Material Shredding and Destruction Device" might demand more caution around them.

... no, it's too long. How about "Limb Destroyer"?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Not a pleasent way to go.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe people would be more careful around them if they were called something else. "Wood chipper" sounds like a normal, useful, happy landscaping tool.

Something like "Hard Organic Material Shredding and Destruction Device" might demand more caution around them.

View Quote

Tree Mangler.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:33:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Wonder if he went all in and all out the other end, or if someone hit the kill switch "mid-chip"?
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:37:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a small one that works off my tractor's PTO; and, it's scary effective at chipping 5" diameter trees. Even if you cut the PTO off, the damn thing continues to chip for a minute or so. The minute I start getting fatigued feeding it is when I stop using it. It's the one tractor implement I own that makes me nervous.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I didn't see his name listed in the article.  I hope it wasn't Chip.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:39:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I didn't see his name listed in the article.  I hope it wasn't Chip.  
View Quote

It was Woody.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:40:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I see the government placing a voice activated kill switch  ...   Help,    
Quoted:
Wonder if he went all in and all out the other end, or if someone hit the kill switch "mid-chip"?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Death by a thousand cuts.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#14]
it was a slice of life, what can you say.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#15]
What a horrible way to go.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#16]
BAN GUNS!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:45:29 PM EDT
[#17]
That's living life on the razor's edge
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Bet that thing didn't even stutter.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]

One of my favorite scenes ever.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]
exactly how do you "fall" into a wood chipper? All the big ones I've see are horizontal, and only the tiny backyard ones have vertical chutes, that maybe take a 2" branch at best, and would choke on one.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:48:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Talk about the daily grind...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:49:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

He had a doozy of a day!
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:53:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Link with comments - one woman claims it was her brother and that he didn't fall in
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on which way he went in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:58:43 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Death by a thousand cuts.
View Quote
<golfclap.gif>

I used to work with a guy that lost the fingers up to the middle knuckle on one hand, when a limb snagged his glove and yanked him in.  As they were loading him up into the ambulance, he caught a glimpse of the cop kicking what was left of his fingers into a 7-11 coffee cup to send along with EMS.  ER doc took one look in the cup, and threw it in the trash.

He was an odd dude, but funny in a stupid sort of way - as we were driving down the road in the work truck, he used to stick his "nubs" under his nose or in his ear as people were driving by.  I swear, even when you were sitting right next to him, it looked as if he had his whole finger stuffed up his nose or in his ear.  People in their cars would either be laughing hysterically or have their mouths hanging open as they passed by.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:59:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

A chipper is essentially a heavy flywheel with inset blades.

It takes a while to slow down, there is no instant stop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:04:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Well he won't do that again
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From an engineering and design standpoint it is possible, just likely to be more complex and thus expensive and/or less robust.

Example table saw:

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

From an engineering and design standpoint it is possible, just likely to be more complex and thus expensive and/or less robust.

Example table saw:

http://youtu.be/esnQwVZOrUU
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example table saw:

Fuck that noise.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I am amazed at how often this happens.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
exactly how do you "fall" into a wood chipper? All the big ones I've see are horizontal, and only the tiny backyard ones have vertical chutes, that maybe take a 2" branch at best, and would choke on one.
View Quote

Lots of big turbo diesel chippers out there that take 12" diameter logs. They would suck up a person like it was nothing. All it takes is an inattentive person get wrapped up in a huge branch and sucked in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:19:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Similar thing happened in my neck of the woods the other day, poor kid (23y/o) got dragged into a chipper on his first damn day on the job.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-dies-in-tree-grinder-accident-during-first-day-on-the-job/

GUILDERLAND, N.Y. - Officials say a man on his first day on the job cutting down trees in an Albany suburb has died after he became entangled in a tree grinding machine.

Police in Guilderland, New York, say the 23-year-old man had been removing large trees Wednesday in front of a home when he fell into a wood chipper.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depends on the type. Heavy drum chippers go slow but stop for almost nothing.  there are kill bars on top and bottom that you are supposed to be able to grab or kick if your getting pulled in, but I'd imagine that's hard to do with a limb already being pinched and sliced off.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Hamburger anyone
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:22:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Example table saw:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example table saw:

I should qualify that...the wood chipper I worked around was the flywheel type, there may be other chipper types available, I dunno.

The one I worked with...the steel disc was six feet across and was 5 inches thick, driven by a 300 horse electric motor. It could eat a 2 foot thick, 20 foot long Doug Fir log without slowing down much, so I treated it with a LOT of respect.

Something that massive...trying to insta-stop it isn't going to be easy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:25:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Fuck that noise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example table saw:

Fuck that noise.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:27:29 PM EDT
[#38]
A guy at work stuck his head in one to see why it quit feeding.  The log whipped around in the chute with his head still in there, and a limb ripped his nostril open.  He purposely stuck his head in a wood chipper!!   He then tried to sue because there wasn't anything on the machine to keep him from putting his head in the wood chipper.  
It's chipping wheel was so heavy that it would spin for almost 5 minutes after you shut off the machine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:28:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One would definitely be worse than the other but either direction would pretty well suck.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:40:52 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

That'll ruin your whole day.
View Quote

Happened just before 5pm, so it just ruined the evening.

Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:44:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mmmmm..shorten it to "cut your dick off machine", that will get people's attention
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:47:35 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm going with Fargo...although Tucker and Dale is a "must watch" film...
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:52:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I should qualify that...the wood chipper I worked around was the flywheel type, there may be other chipper types available, I dunno.

The one I worked with...the steel disc was six feet across and was 5 inches thick, driven by a 300 horse electric motor. It could eat a 2 foot thick, 20 foot long Doug Fir log without slowing down much, so I treated it with a LOT of respect.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Example table saw:

I worked with a diesel chipper for a while that could take something like a 15 or 18 inch log.....that thing was scary.  Of all the way I wouldn't want to go, this is at the top of the list

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I don't see why they can't put brake calipers on the shaft of the drums....
That would get them whoa'd up in a hurry
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#45]
Those things give me the willies!
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:22:00 AM EDT
[#46]
I think I'll just have a big bonfire with all the loose limbs in the yard and go buy a couple bags of mulch.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:23:10 AM EDT
[#47]
Used to work on one that could shred a railroad tie in seconds, it was run by two Detroit diesel Silver 92's in tandem. I had a very healthy respect for that machine
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:02:05 PM EDT
[#48]
I hear he's trying to get his life back together.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

You don't "fall" as a rule you are dragged in.  Thorny brush is the most dangerous to chip.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I think I'll just have a big bonfire with all the loose limbs in the yard and go buy a couple bags of mulch.
View Quote

There is a man who knows how to think!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top