Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2003 10:06:20 AM EDT
Hey all- I have to ship out an action for a bolt gun I'm having built. I've never shipped a gun so I'm wondering who has the least amount of hoops to jump through. I know with USPS there are forms to fill out. Also who has the best prices, this thing is going from Wisconsin to Oregon. Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I frequently ship weapons for warranty and repair work.

UPS can be wishy-washy. They will usually pickup long guns, but refuse to pick up hand guns or MGs; they make me take them to their service center which is a ways away.

Fedex will susually pick up handguns, but their policy seems to change all of the time. I haven't tried to ship an MG through them. My last two CMP weapons came Fedex, and we have shipped lots of military gear through them with no problems. Oddly enough, while most of the military seems to ship everything Fedex, the Army sent M14s to me through USPS last year.

Don't ship through Airborne. One of our former officers was a senior security manager for them. They don't accept firearms any more, not because of any anti-gun bent, but because their dirtbag employees would steal them all, and there was no way they could seem to make it stop. They told me they stopped doing it because they just didn't want any more crap from customers and the ATF. One theft ring stole ALL of a major shipment of handguns (200+) from S&W to a PD. Talk about dumb.

The best route, no matter what the shipper, seems to be getting the other end of your shipment to do a "call tag" where the driver comes with a preprinted label for the box. Then the driver HAS to pick up the box.
Link Posted: 5/15/2003 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
FEDEX EXPRESS is the only way to go!! There tracking system is the best. If you care about it ship FEDEX. UPS is okay, but Airbore is a no no.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:29:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hey all- I have to ship out an action for a bolt gun I'm having built. I've never shipped a gun so I'm wondering who has the least amount of hoops to jump through. I know with USPS there are forms to fill out. Also who has the best prices, this thing is going from Wisconsin to Oregon. Thanks for any help.
View Quote

There are no forms to fill out when using USPS to ship a rifle or rifle action.  Also, if you are shipping to an FFL holder you don't have to tell them what's in the package.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

There are no forms to fill out when using USPS to ship a rifle or rifle action.  Also, if you are shipping to an FFL holder you don't have to tell them what's in the package.
View Quote

I talked to a guy at the local post office and he said that if the BATF considers it a firearm there is paper work that you have to fill out. Ya got me, It's going to a gunsmith, and he does have an FFL, I'll just catch one of the FedEx guys when they're leaving the plant, and talk to them and find out. I've had FedEx do pick ups when i had to send stuff back for warrenty work to S&W. but they sent me the label. well i stll got about 6,5hrs to figure it out. Thanks for the replies all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I talked to a guy at the local post office and he said that if the BATF considers it a firearm there is paper work that you have to fill out.
View Quote

He's full of shit. We've covered this many, many, many times. Perfectly legal for a non-licensee to ship long guns via the U.S. Postal Service. Handguns are a different matter entirely.

Handguns are not mailable via the USPS for non-licensees. FFL holders may mail handguns, but there is a form to file with the local Post Office (a one time deal). Maybe this is what the "postal guy" was thinking.

Perhaps your "postal guy" should become more acquainted with the Domestic Mail Manual. The USPS has become my shipper of choice and I've never had half of the hassles over firearms with them that I have with UPS. Shipping time is twice as fast, too.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:24:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Put it in a box and declare it as machine parts and ship it to the FFL.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Put it in a box and declare it as machine parts and ship it to the FFL.
View Quote

Now thats a good idea after all it's an action, no stock, no barrel, just the action.......
Thanks for the info guys.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#8]
I try to make the box look less like a firearm box if at all possible. When I ship AR's I seperate the upper and lower. If you can abbreviate the gun store name do that so that the label doesn't say gun store on it. I worry more about it bing stolen than anything else.

Cruizer
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Well seein' as i just got ripped for a G on my credit card, I would hate to have this package stolen. It's bad enough that I can't order my base, rings and scope for another two weeks because of that crap.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:13:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I took it to my friendly dealer who I give my FFL transfer fee business to, and told him UPS was giving me crap at their counter, saying I couldn't ship guns.

I asked him if he could ship it for me/arrange the pick up.  I gave him the money, and the package/paperwork, he took care of the rest.  I guess it's ok if gun stores ship guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:16:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but
A) it's illegal to lie about the contents of an interstate shipment.
B) If you do it as machine parts and the package gets lost- you will NEVER collect on a claim.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#12]
It's been mentioned, we've covered this before. Just ship it USPS Priority mail, insured, delivery confirmation. You don't hafta tell them shit...from ATF web site...

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b[/url]
[b](B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service? [Back]

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier? [Back]

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31][/b]

You must inform them only when shipping a handgun..

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Duncan is right.  You DO NOT have to tell the post office workers what's in the box.  They can ask but it is NOT illegal to lie to them.  Whoever said that is mistaken.
It is totally legal for you to mail the action to a licensed dealer.  As for insurance, I have insured countless packages I've mailed and NOT ONCE has the worker at the PO asked me what was in the package.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:10:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, but
A) it's illegal to lie about the contents of an interstate shipment.
B) If you do it as machine parts and the package gets lost- you will NEVER collect on a claim.
View Quote

There is no legal requirement to declare the contents of the package or to tell the postal clerk that the package contains a firearm as long as you are shipping to an FFL holder.  Notification is only required when shipping to a nonlicensee.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

The type of firearm does not matter as far as notification is concerned.  You must notify them if you are shipping to a nonlicensee, otherwise notification is not required.  Unless you are a dealer, mailing a handgun would be illegal.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok so I hit the post office....talk about BS free man no questions at all and cheap too
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#17]
OT(off-topic):FYI when you folks ship guns, be sure that it is wrapped very securely. When I used to ship guns to Magna-Port, their customer service guy said that more than a few times, they get guns with the muzzle sticking out of the box. Gun are heavy for their size for rather obvious reasons, a word to the wise.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 9:58:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The type of firearm does not matter as far as notification is concerned.
View Quote

Yes, it does. You are only REQUIRED to notify, and ship overnight, a handgun. You can ship a long gun just like mini-blinds...

You must notify them if you are shipping to a nonlicensee,
View Quote

It is ILLEGAL to ship interstate to anyone but a dealer, unless you are sending the weapon to yourself!!

otherwise notification is not required.  Unless you are a dealer, mailing a handgun would be illegal.
View Quote

Again, not correct. You must only notify if it's a handgun, and use a common carrier. You do NOT have to ship dealer to dealer! Dealers cannot "mail" a handgun, they must use a CC also.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Handguns are mailable between dealers and other parties as indicated in C024 of the USPS manual. When shipping long guns by the USPS they have the right to inspect the gun to ensure that it is unloaded.

PART 178-COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION

Federal Firearms Act. 15 U.S.C. Chapter 18.

Firearm. Any weapon, including a starter gun, which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosive; the frame or receiver of any such weapon; any firearm muffler or firearm silencer; or any destructive device; but the term shall not include an antique firearm. In the case of a licensed collector, the term shall mean only curios and relics.

C024 Other Restricted or Nonmailable Matter

Handguns
Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as handguns) are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in 1.3 and 1.5 after the filing of an affidavit or statement required by 1.4 and 1.6.

Authorized Persons
Subject to 1.4, handguns may be mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, a
licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or the government of a state, territory, or district, only when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties:
a. Officers of the Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
b. Officers of the National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
c. Officers of the United States or of a state, territory, or district, whose official
duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
d. USPS employees authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
e. Officers and employees of enforcement agencies of the United States.
f. Watchmen engaged in guarding the property of the United States, a state, territory, or district.
g. Purchasing agent or other designated member of agencies employing officers and employees included in 1.3c through 1.3e.

Link Posted: 5/17/2003 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

The type of firearm does not matter as far as notification is concerned.
View Quote

Yes, it does. You are only REQUIRED to notify, and ship overnight, a handgun. You can ship a long gun just like mini-blinds...

You must notify them if you are shipping to a nonlicensee,
View Quote

It is ILLEGAL to ship interstate to anyone but a dealer, unless you are sending the weapon to yourself!!

otherwise notification is not required.  Unless you are a dealer, mailing a handgun would be illegal.
View Quote

Again, not correct. You must only notify if it's a handgun, and use a common carrier. You do NOT have to ship dealer to dealer! Dealers cannot "mail" a handgun, they must use a CC also.
View Quote

Duncan,

I have never seen so much misinformation in a single post in a long time.

I'll try and address your points one at a time.

View Quote

27CFR178.31 only requires notification when shipping to a nonlicensee.

View Quote

The overnight requirement is not law. It is a carrier requirement.

View Quote

There are several exemptions where a firearm may be shipped to a nonlicensee.  among those are return of a firearm from repair, transfer from an estate, transfer to a military officer, transfer to a security guard, transfer to a law enforcement officer, etc, etc, etc.

By the way, I have letter from BATF Hq attesting to all of the above.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top