Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 4:18:56 PM EDT
I'm going through a box of old mags that I'm getting ready to refurbish (stripping, refinshing, new followers, etc).

I've found a small handful (maybe 10) that are stamped with dates from '91-'93.  Those are obviously preban. I also have maybe 15-20 that I know are from the same time frame but have no markings.

How does it work in the communist states with bans? Do the mags have to be stamped with an early date?  Is no date "rolling the dice" when it comes to possession?

Curious, because I was thinking with these mags refurbed in 'like new' condition they can have a trade value of about 1:2 or 1:1.5.  I mean, heck, if I can turn 20 mags into 40 mags why not....and helping those behind enemy lines get mags.....WIN/WIN right?

SO, do the mags have to be marked/stamped?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:30:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Who still has pre-ban mags? MA and sorta-CO?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
No, they don't have to be stamped with a date.

MA has the same rules as the old Federal AWB (94-04).

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Dates don't matter in CO (provided they're not positively post 7/1/13), since the mags aren't grandfathered by themselves.  If you didn't have it prior to the law going into effect, you can't get it now just because it was made before a certain date - only possession before the date allowed it to be grandfathered.

(though for the most part we just ignore the silly ban)

Apparently pre-ban magness still has meaning in MA, CT and maybe IL.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MA.  Not sure about CT.  No clue about CO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Folks say sorta-CO because we have to have possessed them before July 1, 2013 but the burden of proof is on the prosecution to disprove such a claim.  Obviously a date-code later than that would be "proof" that such a claim was false, as would a manufacturer or model which didn't exist back then.  So an "unscrupulous" person with a pre-1994 magazine in hand would probably feel little risk of claiming s/he had that magazine prior to the dark days of Koloradostan.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#7]
how are your refinishing them?
i have a few rusty ten rounders that i sand blasted all the flash rust and paint off them.
i was going to rustoleum them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:13:55 PM EDT
[#8]
you can mark your mags with a number punch set and just date them pre-ban...no one could argue against it...

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/metalworking-tools/metal-fabrication/shop-arbor-presses/steel-letter-figure-stamp-sets-95878

Just add something to the mag so you don't crush it...
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:15:44 PM EDT
[#9]
In Colorado it is a misdemeanor to transfer a mag over 15 rounds. Owning them is fine as long as you pinky swear that you possessed it prior to the June 2013 cutoff.

Buying replacement parts is not illegal and a large number of local gun stores around me sell all the parts necessary to assemble a fully functional mag. So it is entirely plausible that a new magazine body was purchased to repair a broken one (which was legally owned prior to the cutoff) and now happens to have a newer date. Hell, if the spring and follower went bad too it might look like you have a whole new magazine with all new date codes, but you could legally be in the clear. Basically, the law is unenforceable as written unless you do something REALLY stupid.

I guess if you were found to be in possession of a mag that's for a platform that wasn't even produced until after the cutoff date that would be pretty cut and dry, but again...the burden of proof is entirely on the prosecutor and, ultimately, you're only on the hook for a misdemeanor.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
i have a few rusty ten rounders that i sand blasted all the flash rust and paint off them.
View Quote

I use Perma Slik to refinish grungy USGI mags.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Dates don't matter in CO (provided they're not positively post 7/1/13), since the mags aren't grandfathered by themselves.  If you didn't have it prior to the law going into effect, you can't get it now just because it was made before a certain date - only possession before the date allowed it to be grandfathered.

(though for the most part we just ignore the silly ban)

Apparently pre-ban magness still has meaning in MA, CT and maybe IL.
View Quote

Not at the state level, possibly a few of the Chicago counties though.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding from family in CT is that only 20 or 30 rounders owned before the most recent pushed through legislation are allowed to be owned. And those must be registered or kept in the house... I wouldn't take my word as gospel. YMMV and all that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:25:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

For the ones that absolutely no finish left they'll be media blasted and KG Gunkoted with "GearKote" Good stuff, solid film lubricant.

For the ones that have almost all there finish on them and just have the dry lube rubbed off they'll be clean stripped with degreaser and  and recoated with Perma-Slik G

Perma-Slik G is said to be as close to Mil-Spec coating as you can get....if not outright the same stuff.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Eta 2- I will never personally pay more than $15 for a preban mag.  Some pay $30.
View Quote

Yeah, not looking to trying to rake anyone across the coals....but I figure for $15 a mag I could turn that into 2 mags when the sales are going strong.  Heck, even $12 a mag would net me almost 2 sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:38:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Here in the People's Republic of Konnecticut there is no such thing as a "pre-ban magazine".  You had to declare how many greater than 10 round mags you had by a certain time limit, and once the time limit expired no other magazines are allowed.  You can't even give your registered magazines to other people here.  None of them have any registerable features so if one is destroyed you can replace it under the table and there's no way the state would know.

This crap doesn't make sense even after you explain it twice.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My understanding from family in CT is that only 20 or 30 rounders owned before the most recent pushed through legislation are allowed to be owned. And those must be registered or kept in the house... I wouldn't take my word as gospel. YMMV and all that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Almost.  It's any mag greater than 10 rounds.  A 15 round SIG mag had to be registered too.  You can use them in a CCW gun but by law they can only be loaded with ten rounds.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
That is the same that I hear from my family in CT.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Basically if you didn't register already owned mags at the date of the ban, they cannot be owned, PERIOD. We do still need preban lowers/ARs, if you gottem.

I can't tell you how many people I run into that are either completely ignorant of what is banned, or understand the law. Every time I go to the range someone is using/shooting something they think is legal because their "ex cop" buddy they bought it off of said it is fine. Not everyone is internet savvy like us, and unfortunately innocent people will pay
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Almost.  It's any mag greater than 10 rounds.  A 15 round SIG mag had to be registered too.  You can use them in a CCW gun but by law they can only be loaded with ten rounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As long as the LCM doesn't protrude more than 1" below the grip of the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 9:54:41 PM EDT
[#21]
The answer is just Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Basically if you didn't register already owned mags at the date of the ban, they cannot be owned, PERIOD. We do still need preban lowers/ARs, if you gottem.

I can't tell you how many people I run into that are either completely ignorant of what is banned, or understand the law. Every time I go to the range someone is using/shooting something they think is legal because their "ex cop" buddy they bought it off of said it is fine. Not everyone is internet savvy like us, and unfortunately innocent people will pay
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

By the same token I have yet to go to a range where anyone bothered to check.  Even the guys at the state range said they had no idea how to enforce it since only the police have access to the registry.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Good EE ad.

Contact FreeFallE7, he's been doing this a while.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:28:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In Colorado it is a misdemeanor to transfer a mag over 15 rounds. Owning them is fine as long as you pinky swear that you possessed it prior to the June 2013 cutoff.

Buying replacement parts is not illegal and a large number of local gun stores around me sell all the parts necessary to assemble a fully functional mag. So it is entirely plausible that a new magazine body was purchased to repair a broken one (which was legally owned prior to the cutoff) and now happens to have a newer date. Hell, if the spring and follower went bad too it might look like you have a whole new magazine with all new date codes, but you could legally be in the clear. Basically, the law is unenforceable as written unless you do something REALLY stupid.

I guess if you were found to be in possession of a mag that's for a platform that wasn't even produced until after the cutoff date that would be pretty cut and dry, but again...the burden of proof is entirely on the prosecutor and, ultimately, you're only on the hook for a misdemeanor.
View Quote

Same in CA prior to 2015! Now we are stuck with what we have build parts can no longer be imported!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:46:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Same in CA prior to 2015! Now we are stuck with what we have build parts can no longer be imported!
View Quote

The Kalifornia cutoff was 1994 though, right?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 10:54:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good EE ad.

Contact FreeFallE7, he's been doing this a while.
View Quote

Refurbing mags?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:27:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

January 1, 2000. Anyone born on or after that date cannot possibly be in possession of mags they owned prior to the ban.

A child born on December 31,1999 could have theoretically been gifted 1,000 pre ban mags by his father and could legally possess them for his entire life.

Gun owners in California are quickly approaching the time (2018) when new shooters will no longer be able to legally justify being in possession of high capacity mags.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:40:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

MA for sure. I pulled out about 20 lightly used and about 20 new in wrap pre bans to sell. They all went to MA.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:47:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No 2000 was the cut off!

2015 was the No rebuilds allowed!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow, I feel much safer now.  I can't imagine how safe residents of Colorado must feel, knowing that their government is SO brilliant that they could craft such a bill and get it passed into law!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

January 1, 2000. Anyone born on or after that date cannot possibly be in possession of mags they owned prior to the ban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...but from 1994-2004 was the federal AWB, so you couldn't have legally owned a >10rd magazine made from 1994-2000 anyway, thus making the cutoff effectively 1994 AFAIK.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:04:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wow, I feel much safer now.  I can't imagine how safe residents of Colorado must feel, knowing that their government is SO brilliant that they could craft such a bill and get it passed into law!  
View Quote

Oh yes, we love it!  As an aside, each of my children has a notarized document gifting them as of June 2013 a collection of magazines which may be best described as .... impressive.  Doesn't do their kids any good though
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:04:12 AM EDT
[#33]
I feel like one day magazine bodies will be like transferable mg receivers
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#34]
It isn't enforced or supported by law enforcement here. In fact, most of the Sheriff's sued the state to have it repealed. If you are in a conservative county there's virtually no threat of prosecution.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:08:37 AM EDT
[#35]
From the last time we did this thread , here are some of the manufacturers that were said to be pre-ban...

" target="_blank">
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:10:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Oh yes, we love it!  As an aside, each of my children has a notarized document gifting them as of June 2013 a collection of magazines which may be best described as .... impressive.  Doesn't do their kids any good though
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good man.  All of mine were included in a trust as of June 30, 2013.
Top Top