Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/2/2016 11:40:06 AM EDT
Given that practically any "rifle" caliber cartridge is readily available in a "handgun", what is the purpose of the law requiring a 16" barrel if you have a shoulder stock?

What would the liberal argument be against dropping the minimum barrel length on a weapon with a shoulder stock?  Can't be concealability-- pistols have no minimum length and use the same ammunition.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the purpose of the SBR regulation, even if I try to emulate liberal thinking and tie half my brain behind my back, I can't see what the reason might be.

Is this just a case of "arbitrary and capricious laws are arbitrary and capricious"?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Given that practically any "rifle" caliber cartridge is readily available in a "handgun", what is the purpose of the law requiring a 16" barrel if you have a shoulder stock?

What would the liberal argument be against dropping the minimum barrel length on a weapon with a shoulder stock?  Can't be concealability-- pistols have no minimum length and use the same ammunition.

For the life of me, I can't figure out the purpose of the SBR regulation, even if I try to emulate liberal thinking and tie half my brain behind my back, I can't see what the reason might be.

Is this just a case of "arbitrary and capricious laws are arbitrary and capricious"?
View Quote

Concealability. Remember they originally tried to get handguns included in the NFA.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:42:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Restriction of freedom and virtual abolishment of the 2nd Amendment.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:46:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It's a tax law. $$$
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:47:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$

Under the guise of stopping all the gangsters with tommy guns and sawed offs back in its day.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Feels and nothing more
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Ban gangsters Tommy guns and the like.

Any attempt at de-regulating SBR's will result in much hooplah about legalizing "sawed offs." Logic don't enter into the liberal mind.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#7]
You cannot find logic in leftist nonsense.

Don't even try it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$

At the time, the $200 cost was prohibitive to most folks and thus was a de facto ban for most of the population.

Avg salary was $1368 in 32-34.

http://www.paper-dragon.com/1939/priceguide.html

According to this Bureau of Labor and Statistics link, 1934-1936 avg income was $1524
http://www.bls.gov/opub/uscs/1934-36.pdf
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:50:13 AM EDT
[#9]
It's not about guns; it's about control.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:50:54 AM EDT
[#10]
the purpose is to fuck with gun owners.

it has nothing to do with common sense, or safety, or reducing crime. id bet only 10% of gun laws are ACTUALLY about safety / reducing crime, and the other 90% is all about gun control, and fucking with gun owners.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Just BS Freedom interuptus from a gov't that expouses freedom.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At the time, the $200 cost was prohibitive to most folks and thus was a de facto ban for most of the population.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$

I've seen it written that based on the times (both cost adjustments as well as the depression) that the $200 tax was like a modern day payment of about $6,000.

Imagine a $6,000 tax to vote.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:52:31 AM EDT
[#13]
It's about CONTROL.

Over you and me and whoever thinks they are free.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#14]
It was all about de facto banning concealable guns. Remember that handguns were supposed to be included. If the NFA had passed as intended anything under 26" overall would have to be registered.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#15]
SBRs ate more easily concealed. That's the most important factor to a criminal. Look at crime stats of rifles vs pistols.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#16]
It's all about the Benjamin's.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:07:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#19]
What's the purpose of a lot of laws?

To make someone feel better. Doesn't stop shit though.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:16:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What's the purpose of a lot of laws?

To make someone feel better. Doesn't stop shit though.
View Quote
This; plus it's much easier to take away or restrict guns from everyday citizens vs. the thugs/gangs.

You won't hear that mentioned in the media though.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:33:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

According to this Bureau of Labor and Statistics link, 1934-1936 avg income was $1524
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$

And remember the recent article about the NYC licensing law....you can only get a license if you are connected or wealthy...as intended by that unconstitutional POS law.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:39:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Its there to keep you honest otherwise you would be a criminal just like background checks are nothing but a tax and harassment of honest citizens wanting to own a Firearm.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Concealability. Remember they originally tried to get handguns included in the NFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI. SBR and SBS were intended to close a potential loophole that would have allowed pistols to be made that weren't legally pistols.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Feels and nothing more
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Feels and nothing more

Quoted:
Don't even try it.

Vestigial laws are vestigial.

Silencers are used by assassins!

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#25]
I asked the same question years ago. Handguns were supposed to be nfa too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:43:12 PM EDT
[#26]
History
Roaring 20's
Keeping revenue agents employed with some other BS to do after prohibition
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Feels and nothing more

Quoted:
Don't even try it.

Gun store employee who was an ex state cop told me that Suppressors shouldn't be available to public because you can "snipe" someone from a "mile away in their house" and they would have no idea where the shot came from and only find the victim weeks later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#28]
i don't understand the purpose of the nfa at all outside the desire to completely eliminate armed citizens.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:47:53 PM EDT
[#29]
How come you guys never look anything up?  

It's interesting, give it try sometime.

Back in the 1930s, the police were being regularly out-fought by crooks who married the technology of the automobile with the machine gun.

Nowadays, having a shoot-out with police, like the Hollywood shootout, is suicide, but back then it was a useful tactic.

Blowing the living shit out of a pursuing cop car with a Thompson or BAR was a good way to escape.

Even Bonnie and Clyde fought their way out of a farmhouse after being completely surrounded by local lawmen.

The purpose of the 1934 law was to ban all the weapons that criminals were putting to devastating use, like concealable shotguns and machine guns.

One of the guns the police hated the most was a double barreled shotgun cut down to pistol size, it was called a whippet.

So that's where the SBR and SBS part of the law came from.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#30]
One word, control

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:48:23 PM EDT
[#31]
FPNI

The original intent of the NFA was to ban all concealable arms.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 12:51:32 PM EDT
[#32]
So that Canada has something to gloat about?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Back in the 1930s, the police were being regularly out-fought by crooks who married the technology of the automobile with the machine gun.

Nowadays, having a shoot-out with police, like the Hollywood shootout, is suicide, but back then it was a useful tactic.

Blowing the living shit out of a pursuing cop car with a Thompson or BAR was a good way to escape.

Even Bonnie and Clyde fought their way out of a farmhouse after being completely surrounded by local lawmen.

The purpose of the 1934 law was to ban all the weapons that criminals were putting to devastating use, like concealable shotguns and machine guns.

One of the guns the police hated the most was a double barreled shotgun cut down to pistol size, it was called a whippet.

View Quote

And a large percentage of those weapons were stolen from National Guard armories and police stations...so how was the NFA supposed to keep them out of the hands of criminals?

I've always believed the true reason for the NFA was not so much the motorized bandits, but the threat of a more organized Bonus Army. When you can put 40,000 armed troops in a nation's capital, you become an existential threat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:26:51 PM EDT
[#34]
For he chilluns!

My SBR is defective though, it was around a baby this weekend and didn't make one attempt to murder him

Before anyone freaks out, it was unloaded and the baby never touched or, nor was it fired around him.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FPNI. Plus liberals will try to ban anything they don't like, so there's that.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:05:18 PM EDT
[#36]
As far as I see it the only purpose of the NFA is to irritate the shit of me and separate me from my money.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:05:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

And a large percentage of those weapons were stolen from National Guard armories and police stations...so how was the NFA supposed to keep them out of the hands of criminals?

I've always believed the true reason for the NFA was not so much the motorized bandits, but the threat of a more organized Bonus Army. When you can put 40,000 armed troops in a nation's capital, you become an existential threat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The NFA "keeps them out of the hands of criminals" by imposing a 10 year prison sentence.

Even a dumb criminal can count to 10.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Calling everything a liberal gun ban is emotionally satisfying but it's not historically accurate.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:21:56 PM EDT
[#39]
$$$$$
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:33:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clyde's whippet was a cut down Auto-5
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:38:45 PM EDT
[#41]
The ATF has to pay for utilities somehow.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:47:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, but at the time very short double barrel shotguns were popular for HD.

Also I'll note the gangsters of the day were often much more capable than modern ones. They were more like Michael Platt then the usual run of bad guys we have today.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#43]
922(r) -- what is the purpose?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Under the guise of stopping all the gangsters with tommy guns and sawed offs back in its day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a tax law. $$$

This!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:24:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Calling everything a liberal gun ban is emotionally satisfying but it's not historically accurate.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Call me crazy, but the tone of your posts suggests that you find the NFA to be justified and legitimate.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

They hate little people....

Our Nation has a long way to go before we can overcome the bigotry from the FDR Administration.  He did appoint 2 KKK members to the SCOTUS to back his campaign against little people, Negros, Hispanics, and Japanese.  Anyone who tells you America no longer practices those discriminatory policies against minorities probably still goes to Klan rallies.

It's not fair to discriminate against people because of how they were born.  We should abolish the racially-motivated and antiquated bigotry of our Nation's past, and put everyone on equal footing.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#47]
It is the start with the end goal being a total gun ban . The anti freedom people have been working on this for years . The pro freedom crowd fails at getting any of it repealed
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YEP! If it wasn't for the NRA Fudds worried about bullseye cometition and "Kit Guns" in people's tackleboxes, handguns would be an NFA item today!
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:43:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Our Nation has a long way to go before we can overcome the bigotry from the FDR Administration.  He did appoint 2 KKK members to the SCOTUS to back his campaign against little people, Negros, Hispanics, and Japanese.  Anyone who tells you America no longer practices those discriminatory policies against minorities probably still goes to Klan rallies.

It's not fair to discriminate against people because of how they were born.  We should abolish the racially-motivated and antiquated bigotry of our Nation's past, and put everyone on equal footing.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ce1CUWRvrgo/hqdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uyG8Yw5l2ew/hqdefault.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ce1CUWRvrgo/hqdefault.jpg

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/uyG8Yw5l2ew/hqdefault.jpg

why haven't we had a midget file a lawsuit claiming the NFA limits their ability to aquire short barreled rifles so they can exercise their right to bear arms?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:48:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bonnie and Clyde stole their BARs from an armory and used a hacksaw to make the SBSs. Some gangsters did buy Thompsons from hardware stores, but NFA wasn't a realistic way to stop gangsters and motor bandits from engaging in violent crime.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top