Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/23/2016 9:27:20 AM EDT
I'm considering driving to Maryland tomorrow and purchasing a used car from a private party. DMV won't be open. The vehicle isn't currently registered so there's no tag to borrow until I get it home. Will a dated bill of sale and title get me home without getting in huge trouble?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:28:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Avoid popo?

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
There is probably no legal way to do what you are describing in either Maryland or Virginia.

A dated bill-of-sale would be a good negotiating tool if you happen to get pulled over by an LEO who is a reasonable person.

I would go ahead and do it, driving very legally.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you get the title signed?  Bill of sale?

Id just keep that handy in case cop found me, present them and explain that I was going directly from A to B and would have tags on it before I drove again (unless DMV required VIN inspection, then I'd have to drive it there to get the tags.

If you are nice and have your documents, I really doubt that they would give you shit.

At least not around my parts.  The cops out here are actually pretty nice if you have a good solid reason for what you are doing in cases like these beyond IDGAF. And I have btdt when it comes to explaining my case in a polite and rational way (successfully).
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:31:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Used to do it all the time (usually could get away with it for at least a week)

Now with the extreme revenue generation - good luck.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:34:02 AM EDT
[#5]
In the past i grabbed a tag from one of my other cars put it on and drove home with a notorized bill of sale and title. The next day i went to the dmv and registered it. Not sure what else you could do
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:34:33 AM EDT
[#6]
That depends on that laws of the States you are driving in.

In my experience, you can usually go plateless for 15-30 days depending on state laws, but you are gonna get pulled over constantly, so make sure all your shit is good to go and have the signed and dated title with you.

When my States BMV went digital I tried to register a car and they kept getting an error, so they printed me off a pass and had me tape it to the windshield, it was good for 30 days. I would get pulled over for no tags, cop would walk up, see the pass and walk away, rarely did they even say anything.  28 days would go by and I would go back to the BMV and get another one. I drove that car for 9 months before blowing the head gasket and selling it without a title for more than I paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Get a trailer from Uhaul? There like $48 for the whole day.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:36:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Does the car have insurance on it?  I usually put a plate from my car on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a trailer from Uhaul? There like $48 for the whole day.
View Quote

Call a wrecker. There is no legal way to do what you are proposing, and Congress probably won't convene to write an exemption to the law just for you.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the state.  Call the state police and ask or go the the BMV website.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Does the car have insurance on it?  I usually put a plate from my car on it.
View Quote

I don't know about Virginia, but that's a misdemeanor in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:41:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Always drive 20 mph over the speed limit .carry a gun and a bag of weed .

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Haul ass don't look back........Duh!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I know that in some states you can get a one day one way "ferry permit", but you'd have to check and see about that for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm considering driving to Maryland tomorrow and purchasing a used car from a private party. DMV won't be open. The vehicle isn't currently registered so there's no tag to borrow until I get it home. Will a dated bill of sale and title get me home without getting in huge trouble?

View Quote

Other than a trailer no.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Not something I would try these days . When I was younger I did it a few times and never had a problem.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#17]
My first truck I bought from a private seller, in state.  I drove it for nearly a month with no tag of any kind and as far as I can tell it was legal to do so.  I was never stopped.

However, in MO, trucks are often issued only one plate to go in front, and out-of-state vehicles often lack a front plate, so it doesn't really throw up any red flags unless you see both the front and the back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:46:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Not sure about your state but in the past I've been gtg with a signed title, dated bill of sale and proof of insurance.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Just drive fast OP, you will get home sooner.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Call for a flatbed towtruck.

It'll be cheaper than the fines and insurance boost you get for the arrest/impound/points.

God help you if you're involved in an accident with no insurance on an untagged vehicle, and you don't speak Messican, or at least passable fake E'spanish....
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:48:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Here in Arizona, we can go online with our MVD and print out a temp "plate" to get done what you are needing to do.  Maybe your DMV offers the same service?
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:49:09 AM EDT
[#22]
No there isn't a way to do that legally.

When I had a similar situation recently I took my chances and had my GF trail close behind me to prevent the police or anyone else from getting behind me. That and I drove very carefully and 3-5 under the speed limit. I carried the bill of sale if pulled over would have hoped that and a good attitude and demeanor would have gotten me through the situation cleanly. But I knew I was taking a chance and would have accepted the consequences if caught.

Cheers!
-JC
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I know that in some states you can get a one day one way "ferry permit", but you'd have to check and see about that for yourself.
View Quote

THIS

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#24]
DO NOT put a plate from another vehicle on it. That can easily get you charged with misuse of plates and waive your chances of catching a break.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:53:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Not sure about your state but in the past I've been gtg with a signed title, dated bill of sale and proof of insurance.
View Quote

Same in Michigan.  Though I don't know how that'd work bringing a car in from out of state.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:53:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Guess I will be passing this one up. There doesn't seem to be a good way. A wrecker is too expensive. Towing is impractical as well.

Thanks, all.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#27]
I had the exact same situation. Here is what I did. I cut a piece of cardboard, to license plate size, then made a copy of the bill of sale(we did the transaction at a bank) and clear taped the copy of bill of sale to cardboard license plate on the car. It almost looked official.
Really though, you are just gambling that you won't get pulled over. Go for it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:53:15 AM EDT
[#28]
Maryland writes you a ticket just for entering their state.

I got a ticket for not switching on my headlights in two way traffic while turning off the interstate to whiz and get a burger.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#29]
Trip permit: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/dmvnet/trip_permit/intro.asp

Pay and print from your computer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:54:45 AM EDT
[#30]
I would be more concerned with having insurance on the car, which you must have on any car on the road.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
In the past i grabbed a tag from one of my other cars put it on and drove home with a notorized bill of sale and title. The next day i went to the dmv and registered it. Not sure what else you could do
View Quote

A fictitious plate is a ridiculously bad idea. Do not swap plates between cars.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Here in Arizona, we can go online with our MVD and print out a temp "plate" to get done what you are needing to do.  Maybe your DMV offers the same service?
View Quote

Yeah I've done that. Really easy and convenient.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#33]
Here in GA, people just get a piece of cardboard, scrawl "Tag Applied For" on it, and hit the road.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#34]
Snag a plate from another one of your cars. It will at least come back to you then you can explain to the officer what you are doing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, this

Or snag a tag off anther vehicle

Or drop by tractor supply and get "farm use" tags and live happily ever after

Or be a sucker and follow the rules.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I had the exact same situation. Here is what I did. I cut a piece of cardboard, to license plate size, then made a copy of the bill of sale(we did the transaction at a bank) and clear taped the copy of bill of sale to cardboard license plate on the car. It almost looked official.
View Quote

If your goal is to be mistaken for a Sovereign Citizen and have four units show up for your traffic stop, this is the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

You, sir, win the internet today! Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Here that would be "Misuse of a Registration Plate" or some such.

They would likely find something to charge you with ....... but you are not in CT.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:02:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Snag a plate from another one of your cars. It will at least come back to you then you can explain to the officer what you are doing.
View Quote

Yeah...  he should commit a more serious offense, in addition to the registration violation, as a means of what?

Driving around with the wrong plates is what criminal-ass tweakers do.  That is a bad way to start your conversation with the Highway Patrol.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Says the VA DMV is open today, look into if you can get a temp tag.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#41]
You can drive 3 days with a signed and dated title here in IL.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:24:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Guess I will be passing this one up. There doesn't seem to be a good way. A wrecker is too expensive. Towing is impractical as well.

Thanks, all.
View Quote

Well, shit.

I'd just drive it back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:28:22 AM EDT
[#43]
In TX you can print off a free 5 day temp tag from the DMV. In NM no one seems to care.
I would go to your local DMV online and check.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:31:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Back roads. Just pretend you are a moonshiner out making a delivery.

Here in WA without that trip permit and valid insurance you would be getting a ticket. I did it several times back in my youth and never had an issue or was pulled over.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:32:05 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks guys, it's solved with a printable permit.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:33:30 AM EDT
[#46]
The less time on the road without a tag the better, so drive it home really fast.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Are you talking about a "Prospective Purchaser's Trip Permit?"  http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#temp_permit.asp

They are only valid in VA, but there is another snag - VA inspection.  If the car doesn't have a VA inspection you can still get cited for this.  Theoretically, the best and completely legal way to do this would to be to have the seller meet you at a VA inspection station, get the car inspected and then drive it home with the trip permit.  Unfortunately, most inspection stations are closed on Sunday or they do not perform inspections on weekends because that would be entirely too convenient for the citizens of this state.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Are you talking about a "Prospective Purchaser's Trip Permit?"  http://www.dmv.state.va.us/vehicles/#temp_permit.asp

They are only valid in VA, but there is another snag - VA inspection.  If the car doesn't have a VA inspection you can still get cited for this.  Theoretically, the best and completely way to do this would to be to have the seller meet you at a VA inspection station, get the car inspected and then drive it home with the trip permit.  Unfortunately, most inspection stations are closed on Sunday or they do not perform inspections on weekends because that would be entirely too convenient for the citizens of this state.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are only valid in VA, but there is another snag - VA inspection.  If the car doesn't have a VA inspection you can still get cited for this.  Theoretically, the best and completely way to do this would to be to have the seller meet you at a VA inspection station, get the car inspected and then drive it home with the trip permit.  Unfortunately, most inspection stations are closed on Sunday or they do not perform inspections on weekends because that would be entirely too convenient for the citizens of this state.

I've not had my vehicle inspected in the three years I've been here - the ticket is only $35 anyhow. Fuck 'em.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:41:19 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

View Quote
I bought a crew cab F350 in Maryland and drove it to Alaska via Key West without any problems.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:45:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

If your goal is to be mistaken for a Sovereign Citizen and have four units show up for your traffic stop, this is the way to go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is why I said use clear tape. Is clear tape in the Constitution? Exactly. I know my rights.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top