Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2016 8:24:47 PM EDT
Hats off to him. I've met him a few times. Great guy and awesome fighter. Are there many folks enlisting in their mid-30's?

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/Benson-plans-to-join-military-at-33-456923
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a haircut.
View Quote

Yeah they're gonna take care of that for him.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Prediction?  My prediction?  Pain.  Chaptered out, entry level separation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Worked with a guy that joined at 34. Was a good dude but I couldn't imagine going through basic at that age, not the physical part but the mental.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Holy crap the comments on that page are stupid.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Riddick Bowe part 2?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm sure he's in better shape at 33 than 98% of the 18 year olds.

Oh wait he has tats.   Sorry bro you're out.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:33:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Went through boot camp with a 36 and 39 year old, so yea, it happens.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
The real reason (for retiring), to be frank with you, is that I will end up joining the military ranks. I’ve always held a pretty strong civic duty. Us as Americans, we need to do a better job period."

"Kids always say for the longest time, oh I was going to join the Marines, oh I was going to join the Army, this or that. Every 22-year old says that. It’s something that I always felt. When I’m older, when I’m 50, I want to be able to tell my kids, I want to tell my grandkids, hey, you have a civic duty to your country. To serve, to give back. What have you done for your country besides eating the food and using the electricity? What have you done for your country?

"It was something I felt pretty strongly about and I’m finding out there are other ways to go about doing it, but I can do it while still having an MMA career."

"I’d be open to [a combat role]. I’ve talked to my wife about it. If that’s a possibility, if that’s a duty that that branch of the military feels I’m best fit for, sure. No problem. Is it something I want to do? I’m not 21, I’m not 18, I don’t want to go to war and do this…nah, I’m old man. I don’t need to prove myself and go to war and all this stuff. But if that’s what’s called on, and that’s what it takes, you know…"
View Quote

f'n a cotton, f'n a
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
For some reason I never liked him when he first hit the UFC, but this story brings about a whole new perspective I have for Benson. In fact I will buy the next PPV fight card he is on, it's the least I can do for a man that has the kind of mentality that others should emulate. Impressive.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm guessing he won't have any problems with the PT tests.    
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:47:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Good for him.  
Seems like a good guy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I did it at 18 and couldn't imagine doing it at 25 let alone in my 30s.  Being on your own and then being subjected to police calls, field days, formations for hours in 100 degree weather, inspections, pt at 5am, digging holes etc... I don't think it would be as much fun as when you compare it to living at home in some shitty little town where all you want to do is get out.  But that's just me
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#14]
That's a really intelligent life choice for a fighter at 33.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Did it at 24.  Most of it was cake but the long runs hurt.  Coming off a 2 pack/day routine.  I knew a 34 and a 35 year old going through the same company.  Solid dudes.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Worked with a guy that joined at 34. Was a good dude but I couldn't imagine going through basic at that age, not the physical part but the mental.
View Quote

Not basic...but might as well be.

When I was OCS cadre, I had a 39 y/o Officer Candidate go through the platoon I was assigned to.

He was like an E6 or 7 and was the living embodiment of the real Infantry creed:

Never Run when you can walk.

Never walk when you can stand.

Never stand when you can sit down.

Never just sit if you can lie down.

If you can lie down, you can sleep.

So sleep.

ETA the guy wasn't a shit bag.  He just knew what the absolute minimum was where he wouldn't get fucked with, or would have to carry one or more gender "diversity" issues through OCS.  He literally did just that much.  It was like science.  The guy was amazing.  He literally was every combat arms TAC Officer and NCO's hero.

All the other TAC's outside of combat arms hated him.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Does the UFC have a pension/retirement system?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Riddick Bowe part 2?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Riddick Bowe part 2?

Bowe gets a pass for beating Tyson in his prime.

Who'd that guy beat?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Did it at 24.  Most of it was cake but the long runs hurt.  
View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:02:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Had a 34 year Dominican go through basic with us.  He could physically hang but the way the DS talked to him got his feathers ruffled.  "I am 34 years old, they talk to me like I am a child!".   He made it but was mentally harder for him
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:08:59 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Who'd that guy beat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Riddick Bowe part 2?

Who'd that guy beat?

Except Bowe never fought Tyson.... and Henderson was the 155llb UFC champ who defended his belt several times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:11:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You sure you don't have that backwards?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Except Bowe never fought Tyson.... and Henderson was the 155llb UFC champ who defended his belt several times.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Riddick Bowe part 2?

Who'd that guy beat?

My bad.

Busta Douglas.  In my defense, they're both black guys.  So, ya know.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:13:47 PM EDT
[#24]
my brother did it at 33 and crushed his class at Jackson

cycle leadership 1st, marksman 2nd, and 3rd PT

He was older than the most if not all of the cadre

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:17:04 PM EDT
[#25]
That's really dumb at 33. I respect his patriotism, but that's dumb. Have fun taking orders from guys that are 13 years younger, and know more than you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#26]
He's made his fortune if he's smart, so let him do what he wants.  If he makes the standards than my hat's off to him for manning up.  Hope his MOS gets him useful give the admin's attempts to make the USA ineffective.  He'd be great as an instructor and recruiting tool once he musters, given his fame, but I'm sure zero will make him a cook.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's really dumb at 33. I respect his patriotism, but that's dumb. Have fun taking orders from guys that are 13 years younger, and know more than you.
View Quote

Some people can deal with it some people can't.  I joined late and never had any issues taking orders from younger people.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:47:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Ahh.. the mid-life crisis military enlistment.  

Been there.  

I thought Army IET was miserable at 27, but I wasn't a shredded MMA athlete.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was thinking the same...  
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:05:34 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree.  After 10 years of college classroom and office work, BCT tore me up in a way that's very different from some high school kid used to playing sports and doing phys-ed every day.

Obviously not an issue for this guy, though.

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:08:27 PM EDT
[#31]
A high school friend who was super smart joined the Air Force in his 30s to give him a better shot at being a fire fighter.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:44:55 PM EDT
[#32]
your getting old..............  don't  you remember   80% of basic  was the mind game   and with age comes wisdom   ...

Quoted:
I did it at 18 and couldn't imagine doing it at 25 let alone in my 30s.  Being on your own and then being subjected to police calls, field days, formations for hours in 100 degree weather, inspections, pt at 5am, digging holes etc... I don't think it would be as much fun as when you compare it to living at home in some shitty little town where all you want to do is get out.  But that's just me
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#33]
This is going to make a kick ass article in the army times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:49:28 PM EDT
[#34]
With the shape he is in he will wreck boot camp though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:52:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
This is going to make a kick ass article in the army times.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
With the shape he is in he will wreck boot camp though.
View Quote

Exactly. I don't think many here have seen his fights & skillset. He has superb conditioning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:02:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Dealing with his retarded fellow 17 and 18 year old privates will be a living hell for him.

Drill Sergeants will leave him alone, unless he has a chip on his shoulder
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:07:40 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Had a 34 year Dominican go through basic with us.  He could physically hang but the way the DS talked to him got his feathers ruffled.  "I am 34 years old, they talk to me like I am a child!".   He made it but was mentally harder for him
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know I couldn't do it if the DIs were younger than me. I would smile too much.....grown men don't intimidate me in the same way. I wouldn't make it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think I could go to another branch and be just fine.  Or I'd get killed by someone who is 10 years younger than me.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:18:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

No. He is actually in Bellator now which is a competitor to the UFC
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:20:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

When I was OCS cadre, I had a 39 y/o Officer Candidate go through the platoon I was assigned to.

He was like an E6 or 7 and was the living embodiment of the real Infantry creed:

So sleep.

ETA the guy wasn't a shit bag.  He just knew what the absolute minimum was where he wouldn't get fucked with, or would have to carry one or more gender "diversity" issues through OCS.  He literally did just that much.  It was like science.  The guy was amazing.  He literally was every combat arms TAC Officer and NCO's hero.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So sleep.

That IS in fact the real deal infantry creed.

I know...I preached it!
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#42]
I found myself as a PMC in Afghanistan at 33.

What's the big deal?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:11:51 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I found myself as a PMC in Afghanistan at 33.

What's the big deal?
View Quote

That's not basic training
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:13:34 AM EDT
[#44]
I was 26 when I went in. At 33 I could outrun 90% of troops younger than me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:16:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'm sure he's in better shape at 33 than 98% 99.99% of the 18 year olds.

Oh wait he has tats.   Sorry bro you're out.
View Quote

Not even close...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:24:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I turned 40 during the first week at basic.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#47]
He's going to be sorely disappointed with his decision when he finds himself sitting on a pile of rocks, waiting all day for his unit's conex box to be looked at, before the pre-inspection of the actual inspection.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:39:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I knew a few people who were mildly successful MMA fighters and neither of them were rolling in money when they got too old for it.  There are no shortages of people who want to be fighters so it doesn't make any economic sense for any of the organizations to offer a retirement package.  I can see a guy who has trained to be a fighter having an oh shit moment when they realize they are getting too old to fight.

If I were in his shoes I'd consider doing what he is but I don't think they are going to take a 36 year old diabetic with arthritis in both shoulders.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:40:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Doubtful.  His mom is vet. He’ll do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 2:49:58 AM EDT
[#50]
" I don’t want to go to war and do this…nah, I’m old man"

I would tell him not to enlist.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top