</a>" />
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:40:11 PM EDT
[#2]
A second F4 thread this evening?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
It pisses me off so much that the government destroyed them rather than allow some to be owned by civilians. I'd love to own even just a demillitarized version for display.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:45:47 PM EDT
[#4]
First plane I ever sat in, 1976 for the Bicentennial when I was 4.

When I was in college my girlfriend's dad was a former Phantom driver and it was the plane that he'd flown that he loved the best. He said the Mirage III was sexier, and the F-15 was deadlier, but the Phantom "sang" to him...and he loved that it looked like it wanted to rip someone's face off even sitting still. He was cool like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:00:23 PM EDT
[#5]
My favorite growing up. This and the early F16.

Great jet. Memories of being a kid. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]
So, no thread about F4s in a long, long time and now, one guy starts an F4 thread at 1959 and now another at 2130.

Okay den.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Had the good fortune to be a flight-line machinist on the F4 while stationed at Moody AFB from 85 to 87. I still get chubbed up hearing he J79's spool up at the air show.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:10:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Dead sexy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]
My second wife's uncle used to build them. My first wife's uncle used to fly them.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The F-4 was still the nuclear loaded alert aircraft and pursuit aircraft when I left Germany in 1977.  Almost as good as the F-111.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:39:23 PM EDT
[#11]
A very good, older than me, friend of mine flew two two tours in viet nam. First tour he drove a Thud. Second tour he was a Phantom II driver. He loved the Thud & completely disliked the F4.

He's deceased now & would not talk about combat flying when he was alive, but I gathered that there was a preference for being alone in the 105, with a single engine & the missions were what he considered 'better' than what he did with the Phantom.

He said the 105 was the best sounding aircraft he ever heard. Aparently very distinct.

The closest I ever heard him talk about combat flying was when he once said 'Nothing would take hits like an F-105...' He caught himself. Then the subject changed to something totally different.

He later flew in the airlines till Graves' disease ended that. I met him long after that. Pancreatic cancer got him, in the end. Great guy. LOTS of non combat flying stories...
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The F-4 just looked pissed off like a brute just itching for a brawl.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My favorite growing up. This and the early F16.

Great jet. Memories of being a kid. Thanks.
View Quote

I grew up with F-4s and F-105s from Hill flying over my house.

ETA:  My Dad spent most of his civilian career at Hill repairing and upgrading F-4s.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's som Roll Royce powered Phantoms, check out the nozzles for the "re-heaters":

The F-4 rag squadron zapped their skipper's bird pretty good!

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#15]
F 4's saved my ass several times
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I worked weapons on those Spangdahlem Weasels for three years (83-86).
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Here are some F-4E Terminator 2020's. Pretty much the most up-to-date Phantom you can get.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
I'd love to read the impressions of someone who has flown a lot of different fighters and can compare and contrast.   Anyone know of any books like that?

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:44:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It pisses me off so much that the government destroyed them rather than allow some to be owned by civilians. I'd love to own even just a demillitarized version for display.
View Quote

Meh, they died well serving as test targets to develop our latest and greatest air to air missiles. Their sacrifice means an American pilot in some future conflict doesn't die because he went to war with a faulty weapon.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:05:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I remember seeing these fly over when I was a kid.

And I remember the B-52s doing low level in the U.P. too

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#22]
The fighter I protected most.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
The best looking plane ever.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:26:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A very good, older than me, friend of mine flew two two tours in viet nam. First tour he drove a Thud. Second tour he was a Phantom II driver. He loved the Thud & completely disliked the F4.

He's deceased now & would not talk about combat flying when he was alive, but I gathered that there was a preference for being alone in the 105, with a single engine & the missions were what he considered 'better' than what he did with the Phantom.

He said the 105 was the best sounding aircraft he ever heard. Aparently very distinct.

The closest I ever heard him talk about combat flying was when he once said 'Nothing would take hits like an F-105...' He caught himself. Then the subject changed to something totally different.

He later flew in the airlines till Graves' disease ended that. I met him long after that. Pancreatic cancer got him, in the end. Great guy. LOTS of non combat flying stories...
View Quote

Not Ed Rasimus perchance??
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:31:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Flew over us from MacDill Airbase for years...loud ass airplane...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:32:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I just saw Cunningham & Driscoll's phantom that they became aces in. It's in a museum in San Diego. I was in awe of the machine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#27]
My favorite F4 photo.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

I was out fishing on my Dad's dock. Lake Lucerne, Northern Wisconsin.
Sawyer AFB was still open in the U.P.

A stealth fighter came over the trees no higher than 500 feet.
Creepy, yet cool as hell.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:18:44 PM EDT
[#30]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I just saw Cunningham & Driscoll's phantom that they became aces in. It's in a museum in San Diego. I was in awe of the machine.
View Quote

One of my absolute HEROES as a Kid.......too bad he turned out to be a shitbird as a politician
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#32]

This picture is just badass:

My father was a crew chief in '67-'68 for this squadron.  F-4 fans should know why the 366th was notable in F-4 history:

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
One of my absolute HEROES as a Kid.......too bad he turned out to be a shitbird as a politician
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No doubt.

He possibly holds the record for the fastest fall from "I really like this guy" to "Seriously? Dude..." in my personal estimation.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#34]
As Airman of the Month, I got a ride in an RF-4C when I was stationed at Bergstrom AFB.  The pilot did everything he could to make me sick, to no avail.

As luck would have it, my stomach finally caught up as the crew chief was leaning in helping me get out and I puked all over him. I really felt bad for the guy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:01:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

You saw one painted like it. Showtime 100 was lost in combat
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:05:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:05:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This picture is just badass:

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/breaking_sound.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/breaking_sound.jpg</a>

My father was a crew chief in '67-'68 for this squadron.  F-4 fans should know why the 366th was notable in F-4 history:

<a href="http://s4.photobucket.com/user/phuzzygnu/media/1612b95e0.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y109/phuzzygnu/1612b95e0.jpg</a>

View Quote

There were a few Notable things.. The Gun Kills ("Gunless Wonder" Fuck You ) and Lance Sijan just to think of a couple...
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:08:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Showtime 100 - Navy BUNO 155800, McDonnell constructors number 3074.
Flown by Lt. Randy Cunningham and Lt. JG William Driscoll.
Damaged and crashed into Gulf of Tonkin May 10, 1972 after shooting down 3 MiG-17s over North Vietnam.
The first aces of the Vietnam War.  
Both crew ejected safely.
It has 1813 hours before it was shot down by a SAM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#41]
My family and i flew out of St.Louis For Orlando in a D.C.9. A flight of 4 MO. Air Guard F-4's took off at the same time. They climbed with us to altitude and my son then 8 had the window seat. The two phantoms closest to us waved before peeling off and I thought my son was was going to die from his first erection,he was soo excited. Then I realized every passenger in the plane was yelling one big Fuck Ya! It was the high light of the whole trip for me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:36:35 PM EDT
[#42]

Grew up near Yuma so Marine Phantoms over Yuma.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:47:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My family and i flew out of St.Louis For Orlando in a D.C.9. A flight of 4 MO. Air Guard F-4's took off at the same time. They climbed with us to altitude and my son then 8 had the window seat. The two phantoms closest to us waved before peeling off and I thought my son was was going to die from his first erection,he was soo excited. Then I realized every passenger in the plane was yelling one big Fuck Ya! It was the high light of the whole trip for me.  
View Quote

I was flying into St Louis and two MOANG Phantoms were flying a formation approach to the runway next to ours.  Really neat to see the two of them just hanging there off the wingtip of the DC-9 I was on.  We must have flown alongside of each other for two or three minutes before they eased ahead of us just before touchdown.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:51:40 PM EDT
[#44]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:58:42 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

The original Showtime 100 was shot down on their last mission. The one at the museum is a replica. Cunningham was a Congressman from San Diego.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:26:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope. Last name was Harper. Lived NW of the twin cities in MN. I started farming his parents place when they quit farming. I later bought it, after they both passed. I know he flew an airline route from Minneapolis to Alaska, somewhere, quite a bit

One of the best F4 stories I heard, I first heard from his Dad. Seems the younger Harper had once flown over the farm & dropped what must have been quite a bit of toilet paper that landed pretty much everywhere, as it unrolled & floated down. The old man told the story like he was still pissed about it. He was a pretty gruff old codger & liked to act tougher than shit. Of course he really wasn't & he was as proud as he could be about his boy had done. He just didn't want that part to show as much as it did. Later, after the old man had passed, Mrs. Harper told me that same story, but she showed how proud she was & laughed at how the old man had acted pissed. Later, when he down visiting once, I asked Harp about it. He said they were ferrying new F4's from California to Florida fairly often. On this flight he'd loaded all the TP he could get in behind the flaps, I believe he said. Somewhere over St Louis he radioed the flight leader that he thought something was a bit off & wanted to break formation to test it out. Of course that was just a ruse for the benefit of the folks watching the radar, everybody on the flight knew what was up. Anyway, he said he broke off & headed towards the farm. Once over it he set the flaps so the TP would drop out as he buzzed the house & farmstead. After the release he pulled it up & booked it back to rejoin his flight,mprobably grinning like a possum all the way.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#49]
No Israeli Phantoms?

SHAME!

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nope. Last name was Harper. Lived NW of the twin cities in MN. I started farming his parents place when they quit farming. I later bought it, after they both passed. I know he flew an airline route from Minneapolis to Alaska, somewhere, quite a bit

One of the best F4 stories I heard, I first heard from his Dad. Seems the younger Harper had once flown over the farm & dropped what must have been quite a bit of toilet paper that landed pretty much everywhere, as it unrolled & floated down. The old man told the story like he was still pissed about it. He was a pretty gruff old codger & liked to act tougher than shit. Of course he really wasn't & he was as proud as he could be about his boy had done. He just didn't want that part to show as much as it did. Later, after the old man had passed, Mrs. Harper told me that same story, but she showed how proud she was & laughed at how the old man had acted pissed. Later, when he down visiting once, I asked Harp about it. He said they were ferrying new F4's from California to Florida fairly often. On this flight he'd loaded all the TP he could get in behind the flaps, I believe he said. Somewhere over St Louis he radioed the flight leader that he thought something was a bit off & wanted to break formation to test it out. Of course that was just a ruse for the benefit of the folks watching the radar, everybody on the flight knew what was up. Anyway, he said he broke off & headed towards the farm. Once over it he set the flaps so the TP would drop out as he buzzed the house & farmstead. After the release he pulled it up & booked it back to rejoin his flight,mprobably grinning like a possum all the way.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would have been behind the speed brakes.  It was a standard location to store sandwich bags full of chaff strips before the ALE-40 chaff and flares dispensers were installed on AF Phantoms.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top