User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 10:32:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A Hawaian airlines 737 developed stres cracks int he upper, forwaord fuselage and a 10-15ft section of the top of the plane peeled off.  It sucked a stewardess or two out and a few passengers who were not seat belted in.
From a website:  The aircraft suffered an explosive decompression and lost approximately 1/3 of its roof while cruising at FL190. [red]Pre-existing fatigue cracks in the fuselage from numerous takeoffs and landings.[/red] One flight attendant was ejected from the aircraft, which landed safely at OGG.

For video:...
View Quote

The fatigue was not from take-offs and landings.  It was from pressureization cycles. Imagine blowing up a ballon and letting the air back out hundreds of times.  Hawaian airlines had this problem because they do many, many, many short hops between the islands.  Thier cycle to total time ratio was(and probably still is)  higher than any other airline.

Take-offs and landing are not a big deal.  Flying skydivers i make a landing every 28 minutes.  when i was crop dusting it varied but the average was about 35 minutes.  A Cessna 152 doing training might make 10 landings in an hour.  lands and take-offs wear on tires and brakes, but they dont cause catastrofic failures like in the hawian airlines incident.

Ben, The Emu
View Quote

I wasnt gonna do this but now I have to.

IT WASNT HAWAIIAN, IT WAS ALOHA
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top