Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:32:48 PM EDT
[#1]
They have to print it before we can see what's in it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fuck Obama.

View Quote

This.

OST to see what this shit looks like.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
6 An estimate of the total public burden (in hours) associated with the collection: The estimated annual public burden associated with this collection is 9,137,620 hours.

View Quote

SRS?  That's over 1000 years.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably switching around the yes and the no questions again. Whoopty fuckin doo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

They are probably doing this to push you toward getting your CCW that way they have a pic and prints on file.

With my CCW I don't have to do the background check.
View Quote
wish we would go to that in my state

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
They are probably doing this to push you toward getting your CCW that way they have a pic and prints on file.
View Quote

Not all states require a pic and prints for a CCW.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wish they'd reduce something on the front page so at least the transferee could sign at the bottom of the form on the first page.   Also, remove a bunch of the silly questions and have a big box at the top that says, "If you have a CHL enter the number here and just sign at the bottom".

The half a dozen boxes dealing with NICS denials, delays, etc. operator ID numbers etc should be gotten rid of and just fix the background check process.   It should be more like a credit card transaction.   Immediate yes/no answer.    Most of my calls are taking 20 minutes on hold these days.   Unacceptable.

View Quote

Really? I did it yesterday and it took about ten minutes from "can I see your license?" to "have a nice day".
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#8]
What kind of information?  

What part of Shall Not Be Infringed do you not understand?  

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

WTF??  

Are you serious?  They want serial numbers now?

This is registration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So with an Electronic 4473 the ATF for the 1st time will have real time access to the serial # of the future firearms purchased    

WTF??  

This is registration.

4473 already has serial number on it I thought.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:07:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Stocking up on 80% lowers
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Estimated public burden, 9 million hours.

Must be part of the paperwork reduction act
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So with an Electronic 4473 the ATF for the 1st time will have real time access to the serial # of the future firearms purchased    

WTF??  

This is registration.

Yes.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:22:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:24:22 PM EDT
[#15]
FU ATF leave shit alone
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:49:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF??  

This is registration.

IIRC the number goes on the form, but when they call it in they just say pistol, rifle, or other.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just pics here and no background check with CCDW.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Hopefully they'll add a box for me to include the content of my prayers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:01:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you lose the two casings that came with your new gun plan on prison.
View Quote

I still get new handguns that don't come with empties. Disappointing, because I usually reload them and use them.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Honestly, it looks like they're asking the OMB (and the public) to comment on the current process, including how long it actually takes to process the current form.

I've read it a couple of times, and it's not clear that they're proposing changes to the 4473 yet. If anything, based on what they're asking the OMB to comment on, they'd be looking to simplify the form. The most obvious inference from the proposal, is a request for the OMB to suggest ways in which the ATF can speed the process up on their end, through "appropriate automated, electronic, mechanical, or other technological collection techniques or other forms of information technology, e.g., permitting electronic submission of responses".
View Quote

I know how to simplify the form.

It's very easy.  You just require the same amount of application fees, paperwork, and provisions as you do when you exercise your 1st, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Amendment rights, or the rights recognized therein as free from government abuse.

The whole FFL system, 4473, and ATF are unconstitutional by their very nature, and need to be abolished.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#21]
There is a thing called "value of time and road user cost" used in the bidding of DOT projects.  In short, it assesses a value to delay caused by construction to better compare bid proposals.  Shut the whole road down and detour people twenty miles 24/7 vs work one lane at a time at night.  The former is going to obviously effect a lot more people and generate a lot more delay to the individuals using the road.

Texas assigned a value of $22.09/hour of delay (this is simply for time, no mileage, fuel or anything else so it is a decent measure of what a person's time is worth on average.)  So using the ATF estimated time for just the individuals filling out the form, they are okay with racking up ~$202,000,000 worth of time from the firearm buying public annually, which does not take into account the FFL's time and .gov administration.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Isn't the 4473 required on purchase from an FFL?
Even with a LTC here you still are required to fill out the 4473.
View Quote

That is my understanding, yes.  I still have to fill out the 4473 and all, just don't have to wait.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:09:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF??  

This is registration.

Correct - section "D," number 28.  HOWEVER - that info is never given to the NICS.  Further, it isn't given to the ATF until after the FFL goes out of business.

If the 4473 form (the form itself) becomes an "electronic document" then the serial number WOULD BE given to ATF and/or NICS.

ATF is barred by law from maintaining a computerized database.  There is no penalty for violating that law.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
View Quote

Electronic 4473s are already available.  

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 3:11:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Does this mean when it's published we only have 60 days for a comment period to try and shove the proposal up their ass for the next 5 years?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#26]
I thought laws recently passed prohibited the keeping of records of firearm purchases by the federal government.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I thought laws recently passed prohibited the keeping of records of firearm purchases by the federal government.  
View Quote

Careful, you'll cause people to piss themselves laughing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:21:04 PM EDT
[#28]
If you call NICS you'll hear the "high call volumes blurb etc".   It's been taking a long time.   When you say license do you mean driver's or CHL.   If CHL then yes you wouldn't experience the wait since you don't need the BG check.

Quoted:

Really? I did it yesterday and it took about ten minutes from "can I see your license?" to "have a nice day".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wish they'd reduce something on the front page so at least the transferee could sign at the bottom of the form on the first page.   Also, remove a bunch of the silly questions and have a big box at the top that says, "If you have a CHL enter the number here and just sign at the bottom".

The half a dozen boxes dealing with NICS denials, delays, etc. operator ID numbers etc should be gotten rid of and just fix the background check process.   It should be more like a credit card transaction.   Immediate yes/no answer.    Most of my calls are taking 20 minutes on hold these days.   Unacceptable.

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:24:32 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
  If CHL then yes you wouldn't experience the wait since you don't need the BG check.
View Quote

Only in states where a permit is recognized as an exemption to the NICS check
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:24:45 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Correct - section "D," number 28.  HOWEVER - that info is never given to the NICS.  Further, it isn't given to the ATF until after the FFL goes out of business.

If the 4473 form (the form itself) becomes an "electronic document" then the serial number WOULD BE given to ATF and/or NICS.

ATF is barred by law from maintaining a computerized database.  There is no penalty for violating that law.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WTF??  

This is registration.

Bingo...

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

In all fairness, the folks estimating this are the same ones that take 90 fucking days to glance over a Form 1 and make sure all the boxes are checked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did I just read it will take an estimated 30 minutes to fill out the new form?

In all fairness, the folks estimating this are the same ones that take 90 fucking days to glance over a Form 1 and make sure all the boxes are checked.

That made me chuckle, but it's really not funny
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:30:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Bingo...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF??  

This is registration.

Bingo...

Anybody have the text of that law?

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Exactly. It takes us only a few minutes because we have the info and answers down pat, imagine if you had never done one before and decided to read the entire thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This might be a big "stick it to gun owners". Or it might just be a minor change and the 30 minutes includes the average reading, comprehension and data collection for a person that has never filled out a 4473.

This is more than likely accurate.

This is on the current 4473

The estimated average burden associated with this collection is 30 minutes per
respondent or recordkeeper, depending on individual circumstances.

Exactly. It takes us only a few minutes because we have the info and answers down pat, imagine if you had never done one before and decided to read the entire thing.

This.  I was at a store with a first time gun buyer and it took them much longer than I would have taken. And that was with me standing beside them to immediately answer questions and help walk them through the process.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:34:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Harumpf
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Did I just read it will take an estimated 30 minutes to fill out the new form?
View Quote

I think it means that it'll take 30 minutes to fill out the responses to them saying they're going to change the form.

I don't think they're saying that it's going to take 30 minutes to fill out the 4473.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:41:00 PM EDT
[#37]

Anybody have the text of that law?

A.W.D.
View Quote

Sure.  It's here:  
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firearm_Owners_Protection_Act
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:45:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

What are you talking about?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Making the form bilingual?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#40]
Do some of you guys realize this happens all the time with Govt. forms ????

It's "SOP for the OMB" .......

I couldn't tell you the number of times 4473's have been changed in my 30 years of buying guns.......Form 1's and Form 4's have been changed at least 10 times in that time period though.....

If you want to believe that it's happening as the result of a secret executive order signed by Obama at the request of the ATF, the Bilderbergers, and the Holy Roman Emperor that's up to you.......

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:58:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Making the form bilingual?
View Quote

Spanish version already exists.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I couldn't tell you the number of times 4473's have been changed in my 30 years of buying guns.......Form 1's and Form 4's have been changed at least 10 times in that time period though.....

If you want to believe that it's happening as the result of a secret executive order signed by Obama at the request of the ATF, the Bilderbergers, and the Holy Roman Emperor that's up to you.......

View Quote

Every time the 4473 changes, it gets worse.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

Whether it was.. or wasn't.. The Effect is Still the Same  

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Most pistols come with two spent casings in a sealed envelope for states that require the dealer to send spent casings to the government before a sale.

Not an issue in freer States... Yet.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#45]
As always, FTF for the win.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FIFY

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Could you fill it out in a foreign language?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Could you fill it out in a foreign language?
View Quote

Arabic?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Uh oh...
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:58:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Can you save the form on your computer at home, type in all regular info, print it out before you go to the LGS and just fill in the info they need like date, make, model, serial number ect?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top