BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:03:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#2]
This ruling would be correct if we did NOT have universal sufferance, in that non-voting citizens still require representation. But since we do have universal sufferance, the court's ruling falls strictly under the category of mental gymnastics to shoehorn a political world view into written law. Complete and utter bullshit that dilutes the vote of legitimate citizens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This ruling would be correct if we did NOT have universal sufferance, in that non-voting citizens still require representation. But since we do have universal sufferance, the court's ruling falls strictly under the category of mental gymnastics to shoehorn a political world view into written law. Complete and utter bullshit that dilutes the vote of legitimate citizens.
View Quote

How does universal suffrage change anything?  What do you think is actually unconstitutional here?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Illegals being counted in the census for districting and voting purposes is in fact taxation without representation .

If a state or district is awarded more representation due to counting illigal immigrants then the people with less illegal immigrantsmight as well be a partial vote.  They are having their power they pay tax for stolen and given to people who have high illegal immigrant populations.  

How many less house representatives and electoral votes would California have if you subtracted the millions of illegals from their counted population?
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look at the history of the Indians at the time.  That exception was carved out because untaxed Indians were those on reservations whom had quasi sovereign states.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

that is so much horse shit...period

You'll need to revise this:

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed.

Either we are for the Constitution being enforced as written or we're not.  If we're not, shit gets a little sticky with the amendments we do like.

So why are Indians excluded then?

And illegal aliens should be excluded from EVERYTHING. Even voting.

And breathing 'Merican air. Go someplace else and breathe, not here.

Look at the history of the Indians at the time.  That exception was carved out because untaxed Indians were those on reservations whom had quasi sovereign states.

So are Indians not US Citizens. Do they get their own Sioux, Cherokee, Apache, etc. passports?

They have no representation in US govt.?

I know the poor Indian got fucked by not enforcing their immigration laws at the time, but

are you suggesting that the American Indian are not American?

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:14:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Illegals being counted in the census for districting and voting purposes is in fact taxation without representation .

If a state or district is awarded more representation due to counting illigal immigrants then the people with less illegal immigrantsmight as well be a partial vote.  They are having their power they pay tax for stolen and given to people who have high illegal immigrant populations.  

How many less house representatives and electoral votes would California have if you subtracted the millions of illegals from their counted population?
View Quote

No, it's not taxation without representation.  I don't understand why the concept is so hard for most people to understand.  Does a region or polity have a representative in the central legislature who can vote on laws regarding revenue?  If yes, the people therein have representation, whether or not an individual is eligible to vote for said representative.  If not, and that region or polity is subject to taxation by the central government, then there is indeed a case of taxation without representation.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's nice, dear.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Representatives shall be apportioned among the several States according to their respective numbers, counting the whole number of persons in each State, excluding Indians not taxed.

Either we are for the Constitution being enforced as written or we're not.  If we're not, shit gets a little sticky with the amendments we do like.

Gov. employees, including judges, who do not adhere to their oaths, are operating outside the law and are thus outlaws. They should be dealt with as such.

That's nice, dear.

You have just created joinder.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OK. Give us the argument.  I eagerly await your dazzling display of rational analysis of history and constitutional law.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could argue the sky is yellow too. You'd be 100% wrong in fact, history, and context.

why because you say so....

OK. Give us the argument.  I eagerly await your dazzling display of rational analysis of history and constitutional law.

I gave my argument Not tax paying Indians do not get counted show precedence that non tax paying illegals should not get counted. You said history doesn't back me up so you show me where it does not back up my argument,
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Legal status should matter and can be argued that it does matter. Just because some disagree does not make it right and proper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I could argue that the "Indians not taxed" could be used to set a precedence for all un taxed individuals such as illegal aliens residing in an area and still be within the limits of the Constitution.

Children aren't taxed, yet have always been counted.

Children that work very much are taxed with the knowledge that when they grow up they will be taxed. Illegals that work are not (with some exceptions) taxed within any age range..

Workers are a nice red herring, but work status doesn't matter...

Legal status should matter and can be argued that it does matter. Just because some disagree does not make it right and proper.

The Constitution doesn't say it only counts taxpayers or whatever other criteria you want to add, so if we want SCOTUS justices to be strict constitutionalists, they can't create their own restrictions, now can they?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

How can you count them if you don't know where they are?  If you know where they are, WHY ARE THEY NOT BEING DEPORTED?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How can you count them if you don't know where they are?  If you know where they are, WHY ARE THEY NOT BEING DEPORTED?

That's a political question, not a Constitutional question.

I agree. They should be deported.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wait, can we count illegal machineguns as to "common use"?
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#12]
This . . . right here . . . this singular SCOTUS ruling . . . is the straw on the camels back that will turn Texas blue . . .

Probably not in my life time, but assuredly in my sons.

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I gave my argument Not tax paying Indians do not get counted show precedence that non tax paying illegals should not get counted. You said history doesn't back me up so you show me where it does not back up my argument,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could argue the sky is yellow too. You'd be 100% wrong in fact, history, and context.

Except that they're A) Not Indians, and B) Are taxed.

Except for those two little details...
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

only the tax exempt indians are, as in the ones living on reserves that the gov. preserved for their use specifically.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:37:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
[The Constitution doesn't say it only counts taxpayers or whatever other criteria you want to add, so if we want SCOTUS justices to be strict constitutionalists, they can't create their own restrictions, now can they?  
View Quote

but it does say Indians and alludes to non tax paying non citizens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A.) what makes an Indian an Indian (the qualifier was non-citizen and not so much their race)

b.) they are not taxed (even Indians pay sales tax outside the reservation)
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:41:06 PM EDT
[#17]
So if I live in a congressional district with 10,000 staunch Republicans and 100,000 liberal illegal immigrants, it would be awesome. Imposing my ultra right wing representative on them.

Instead I live in a 60/40% Democrat dominated district. Sucks.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:41:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with "taxation without representation."  That involves a subordinate political or geographic subdivision of a state having its people be taxed by a higher level of government with no representation in the legislative body which has a say over the laws regarding revenue.  Most people here don't seem to understand the nature of that issue.

Non-citizens are frequently counted for purposes of apportionment of legislators, among other things.  This goes back to the original constitution.  Generally, it is limited to residents (counting).  No one is being disenfranchised here, although given that we've excessively expanded the franchise, such a thing would not in all cases be bad.
View Quote

What this does is give more representation to areas with large numbers of illegals. Since they tend to live in Hispanic areas, it therefore amplifies the Hispanic vote.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:45:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[The Constitution doesn't say it only counts taxpayers or whatever other criteria you want to add, so if we want SCOTUS justices to be strict constitutionalists, they can't create their own restrictions, now can they?  

It's referring to a specific situation in which a class of persons fall under a different sovereignty, that of their tribe.  They were governed by their tribes and thus not subject to taxation, while those choosing to live separately were potentially subject to taxation like anyone else in the U.S., regardless of origins.  It has no relation to issues regarding the lawfulness of migration, although it could certainly be twisted that way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

What this does is give more representation to areas with large numbers of illegals. Since they tend to live in Hispanic areas, it therefore amplifies the Hispanic vote.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This has nothing to do with "taxation without representation."  That involves a subordinate political or geographic subdivision of a state having its people be taxed by a higher level of government with no representation in the legislative body which has a say over the laws regarding revenue.  Most people here don't seem to understand the nature of that issue.

Non-citizens are frequently counted for purposes of apportionment of legislators, among other things.  This goes back to the original constitution.  Generally, it is limited to residents (counting).  No one is being disenfranchised here, although given that we've excessively expanded the franchise, such a thing would not in all cases be bad.

I'm aware of what it does, although it doesn't always have that effect.  When it comes to State legislators and how their districts are drawn, this is certainly something that could be addressed by law.  The court was the wrong venue for this, as the constitution is silent on such matters, and clearly indicates how Federal Representatives are to be apportioned.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This . . . right here . . . this singular SCOTUS ruling . . . is the straw on the camels back that will turn Texas blue . . .

Probably not in my life time, but assuredly in my sons.

View Quote

How? Please show your reasoning.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Another nail in the coffin.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:03:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Honestly, on a very strict reading of the Constitution, I'm not sure how you could rule another way without amending it.

View Quote

I'm so glad they'll rule so literally for counting illegals for apportionment but not for the 2A, search and seizure and other shady rulings that might threaten the status quo of those in power.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
No, it's not taxation without representation.  I don't understand why the concept is so hard for most people to understand.  Does a region or polity have a representative in the central legislature who can vote on laws regarding revenue?  If yes, the people therein have representation, whether or not an individual is eligible to vote for said representative.  If not, and that region or polity is subject to taxation by the central government, then there is indeed a case of taxation without representation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess it depends on whether ryou consider this the central government of America or the united States.

To me California getting more representation due to being an illegal immigrant Haven is no different than giving resident of another state 3/5 of a vote
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#25]

I am so confused on this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/4/2016 3:21:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Honestly, on a very strict reading of the Constitution, I'm not sure how you could rule another way without amending it.

View Quote

I like the decision, because the court is actually reading the constitution...

Why can't they do this with EVERY CASE...most cases should be unanimous..not 4-4..or 5-4.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top