Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/1/2016 12:59:50 PM EDT

Apple has updated Siri's response to statements such as "I was raped" after research found the digital assistant's responses were "insufficient."

A recent study published in JAMA Internal Medicine compared responses to questions about mental health, interpersonal violence and physical health from four conversational agents: Apple's Siri, Samsung's S Voice, Google Now and Microsoft's Cortana.

The answers were inconsistent and incomplete, especially when it came to rape and domestic violence, the study's authors concluded. Siri, Google Now and S Voice responded with variations on "I don't know what you mean" or "I don't understand" and offered to do a Web search. The statements "I am being abused" or "I was beaten up by my husband" generated responses such as "I don't know what you mean" or "I don't get it."
View Quote

http://www.cnn.com/2016/03/31/health/siri-apple-rape-response/index.html

So this is a thing.

Reasoning?  If someone is asking Siri for help after they are raped, then they should be directed to a hotline.

Are people really this stupid and need this much help?  It's a phone.  Dial 911.  Good God.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Apple has updated Siri's response to statements such as "I was raped" after research found the digital assistant's responses were "insufficient."

A recent study published in JAMA Internal Medicine compared responses to questions about mental health, interpersonal violence and physical health from four conversational agents: Apple's Siri, Samsung's S Voice, Google Now and Microsoft's Cortana.

The answers were inconsistent and incomplete, especially when it came to rape and domestic violence, the study's authors concluded. Siri, Google Now and S Voice responded with variations on "I don't know what you mean" or "I don't understand" and offered to do a Web search. The statements "I am being abused" or "I was beaten up by my husband" generated responses such as "I don't know what you mean" or "I don't get it."
View Quote

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160330175955-siri-updates-screenshot-0330-exlarge-169.jpg
So this is a thing.

Reasoning?  If someone is asking Siri for help after they are raped, then they should be directed to a hotline.

Are people really this stupid and need this much help?  It's a phone.  Dial 911.  Good God.

View Quote

Yes people are that stupid.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
cue video of homer simpson picking up the phone, dialing zero, and shouting "Operator?  Give me the number to 911!"
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:02:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, people are now that stupid. We have become a nation of children incapable of independent thought.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:09:50 PM EDT
[#4]

"If I stick my arm in to a running wood chipper, what will happen?"

"You will become rich and famous beyond your wildest dreams. Fool."

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to ask Siri, "I was just mouth raped and given a facial against my will" to see what her reply is.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnnnext/dam/assets/160330175955-siri-updates-screenshot-0330-exlarge-169.jpg

So this is a thing.

Fer, like... Its not like everyone in the world has 911s number saved in there contacts or somethig. Their needs to be a way for them to get help without having to REMEMBAR someones number!Ferlike, GOD!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:21:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:23:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Tell siri to pepper her angus
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I agree with you, some people are too frightened or intimidated to immediately go that route.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Computers are magic.  They will tell us what to do.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmmm, not 911 and bring a rape kit!!!!!!!

Underwhelmed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Wait till she tells you she is contacting law enforcement with your name and location.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
People are nuts.

I was standing in line to get some gas and a bag of chips when I noticed a 20-something, hipster-looking doofus with an olympian appetite for attention flirting with Siri.
The guy was fishing for compliments from a phone.. A PHONE.

ETA: Who is Siri gonna call when whack job like this gets his way?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Any time Siri doesn't understand something it should just redirect to Tay

"OMG I was rape, what do?"

Siri: ...Redirecting...

Tay: "lol stupid whore"
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
While I agree with you, some people are too frightened or intimidated to immediately go that route.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In situations like that, the first route is going to someone you trust and not an app on a phone.  If they can't figure out that Siri is an app and not a girl stuck in a magic box, then the world truly is doomed.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I changed my name to asshole in my phone
its pretty juvenile but makes siri much more exciting
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:05:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm going to get a bit serious here, as I tend to take this topic a bit seriously.

I know a lot of people feel its stupid to have to "ask" for the number to 911 or something like that, but I think of it a little differently. A large number of rape victims often feel guilt over what happened and bottle up the incident inside not wanting to tell anyone else for various reasons. For some, just saying the words to a mechanical device just so somebody has heard you say it might in a sense be a form of release... i.e. some depressed teenager who is afraid to tell anyone but happens to have their phone in hand while it's eating away at them might just be temped to tell Siri, just so that in some way somebody knows. While it may not be enough to motivate them to make the call, I imagine it could help them to realize they're not the guilty one and to reach out to somebody.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:07:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any time Siri doesn't understand something it should just redirect to Tay

"OMG I was rape, what do?"
Siri: ...Redirecting...
Tay: "lol stupid whore"
View Quote

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:09:22 PM EDT
[#19]
When I saw the thread title, I read it as Siri's response to a particular question was updated to, "I (Siri) was  raped."

Would have been a lot funnier.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:09:36 PM EDT
[#20]
me: i was raped!

siri: you mean, you had surprise sex?

me: no, i was raped.

siri: boo fucking hoo, deal with it.
View Quote

yeah, i guess i see the problem.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:10:04 PM EDT
[#21]
"Well... it's probably your fault because you dress like a whore."
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Surprised Siri doesn't automatically call 911.

When I first got my iphone I couldn't find the alarm clock feature.  So I brought up Siri and said, "Set alarm for 5:30 am".  Siri responded and said, "Dialing...(random number from my address book)" and immediately dialed the number.  Luckily that bitch dialed my niece (who's name sounds nothing like 'set alarm').  It was a lot easier explaining to her why I was ringing her phone at 12:15am on a weekday than any other random person in my contacts.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Welcome to Costco, I love you."
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:15:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Somewhere, Apple engineers are pulling out their hair in disbelief that people could be this stupid.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yes, people are now that stupid. We have become a nation of children incapable of independent thought.
View Quote

This happened some time ago.

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Rape is an incredibly traumatic experience.   You can't expect people's responses to be objectively rational.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Siri, I was raped."

Siri: GO AWAY! BAITIN!
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
This.  Rape is an incredibly traumatic experience.   You can't expect people's responses to be objectively rational.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We do live in a time when adults are treated like children.  There's no app that can fix that.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Apparently theres a big movement this year with rape, according to my FB and every lady on there sharing this.

I looked through it, most were sad stories and I felt bad for them. Rape is absolutely disgusting

Then I saw this one.

I wanted to say WTF, but its not worth the backlash.

Seem odd to anyone else?

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#32]
i wonder what that nazi loving ,  AI twitter robot would tell you, if you said " i was raped" ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Apparently theres a big movement this year with rape, according to my FB and every lady on there sharing this.

I looked through it, most were sad stories and I felt bad for them. Rape is absolutely disgusting

Then I saw this one.

Seem odd to anyone else?

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Screenshot_2016-04-01-13-28-39_zps44vdtkxo.png.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Screenshot_2016-04-01-13-28-39_zps44vdtkxo.png</a>

View Quote

The libtards have blurred the line for the useful idiots to believe that "regret" is now synonymous with "rape".
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Then I saw this one.

Seem odd to anyone else?

<a href="http://s301.photobucket.com/user/cclement45/media/Screenshot_2016-04-01-13-28-39_zps44vdtkxo.png.html" target="_blank">http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Screenshot_2016-04-01-13-28-39_zps44vdtkxo.png</a>

View Quote

Regular date that ended in sex. Guy just wanted a one night stand? So now he is a rapist? I dunno.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:45:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Oh for fuck's sake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We do live in a time when adults are treated like children.  There's no app that can fix that.  

Oh for fuck's sake.

Look.  I understand that rape is a serious issue.  I get it.  That's not the point of the post.

The point is going to god damn siri with life's problems.  That's retarded.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:51:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Not everyone who has just experienced a significant life-altering trauma is in their right mind or acting rationally.

It's retarded to think that they would be.

View Quote

Let's program siri to address all issues that disturb us enough to lose clarity of thought.  Would that be better?

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:53:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

As a former high crime area detective I found that there was a strong correlation between higher education and street-stupidity. In most cases the higher the college degree the more street-stupid the person.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 2:53:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Like racism, libs throw the word rape around too much. It's lost its meaning.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Rape victims (as in actual victims of actual rape) often have responses to the experience that seem counter-intuitive.

Sometimes it's a consequence of their minds trying (and failing) to process what happened.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I saw this one.

Seem odd to anyone else?

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/cclement45/Screenshot_2016-04-01-13-28-39_zps44vdtkxo.png

Rape victims (as in actual victims of actual rape) often have responses to the experience that seem counter-intuitive.

Sometimes it's a consequence of their minds trying (and failing) to process what happened.

I guess,

I personally find it weird that someone would want to continue seeing someone who raped them.

I had a female acquaintance I knew from college a few years ago. We had a class together. She was a nice girl, but seemed a little different. In a sorority.

One day in class she was acting funny, I asked her what was up. She told me she was raped last night. So Im like okay were leaving this class and Im taking you to the police station.

Then she told me the story. Ill keep it short as it was a long one.

She and some friends went to a guys house to drink. She gets drunk along with everyone else there. She then goes into a bedroom with said guy willingly. Said guy starts putting down the moves. Which she also reciprocated.

Somewhere in the midst of this, her friends came and knocked on the door and asked her to leave with them. She said no and she wanted to stay.

Said activities continue. Night goes on without a hitch. Doesn't actually have sex, but gives the dude a blowie.

So Im sitting there like, okay, where does the rape come into play.

Oh well I told my sorority sisters I didn't really want to do any of that with him, they told me its rape, so I know I've been raped. So I ask if she ever said no to his advances. Nope.

I talked her out of going to the cops luckily for the guy. I told her that's not rape, not even close.

I mean holy fuck this dudes life about got ruined because of this girl and her friends convincing her that she was raped.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I got raped by my general contractor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Not everyone who has just experienced a significant life-altering trauma is in their right mind or acting rationally.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh for fuck's sake.

Look.  I understand that rape is a serious issue.  I get it.  That's not the point of the post.

The point is going to god damn siri with life's problems.  That's retarded.  

If you are rational enough to go "hey siri, I was raped" and follow the instructions given, then you are rational enough to dial 911 and say "hey I was raped"
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:33:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:36:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:37:23 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I'm going to ask Siri, "I was just mouth raped and given a facial against my will" to see what her reply is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So do I.

And in some cases such behavior may shed doubt on what really happened.

My point was just that one should be aware that very counter-intuitive behavior has been observed in people that have actually undergone significant trauma, and the presence of such behavior does not always mean that such trauma was not experienced.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess,

I personally find it weird that someone would want to continue seeing someone who raped them.

So do I.

And in some cases such behavior may shed doubt on what really happened.

My point was just that one should be aware that very counter-intuitive behavior has been observed in people that have actually undergone significant trauma, and the presence of such behavior does not always mean that such trauma was not experienced.

Fair enough.

I understand your point.
Link Posted: 4/1/2016 3:51:43 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/db/6a/fc/db6afccac70dc671b5ecf06b36b5d3f3.jpg

Yeah, no shit.  Out with it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2016 2:18:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/db/6a/fc/db6afccac70dc671b5ecf06b36b5d3f3.jpg

She said, "Grow a goatee to hide the stretch marks".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top